[REMOVE ADS]

honest man Guest

does DRATS disney song exist

Hello people been searching net for info on unreleased motown songs, chim cheree by DRATS Did this song ever get finished,,, i have heard the other unissued disney spoonful of sugar so yes that is real, has anyone heard chim cheree, any info please. cheers.

http://www.dftmc.info/home.html

Chim Chim Cher-Ee [[Richard Sherman-Robert Sherman) publ. Wonderland

The Supremes; recorded L.A. / Hitsville-GW, completed 15-Nov-67 ; produced by Frank Wilson

[unreleased]; LP [[M): Motown S658 Supremes Sing And Perform The Disney Classics

There were 15 songs recorded for the Disney album. Of the 15 songs, 14 were completed. The only track that never received Diana's lead was "I'm Late" from "Alice In Wonderland."

Laurel Guest
    I didn't know the Supremes recorded a Disney album. I hope I can find one somewhere. I want my grandchildren to hear the classic children's songs as I don't like the kids songs that are out there today.

Laurel, "Diana Ross & The Supremes Sing Disney Classics" was never released. The concept for the album must have began in late 1966 because instrumental tracks and vocals were recorded in January 1967 with some recording dates in April 1967. The album was put on hold when Florence Ballard was fired and Cindy Birdsong was brought in. By September, someone must have felt the album should be given a go again, so work resumed and was completed. For one reason or another, Motown never gave the album a catalog number or a release date so it was shelved. Motown must have been working with Walt Disney Productions on this album because "It Won't Be Long Til Christmas" was recorded before the release of "The Happiest Millionaire" which originally featured the song; however the song was cut from the film.

Most of the songs from the album have been released over the past 25 years with the exception of "A Spoonful of Sugar," "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah," and "Chim Chim Cher-ee" which are still unreleased.

I know some people are not all that fond of this album, but I really like it. I think it's fun to listen to. I think what some fans forget is that this album was intended for children. Motown had marketed the Supremes to teens with their pop material, but also marketed the group to adults with showtunes and old standards. I see this album as Motown's way of trying to market the group to children/youth.

Laurel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Laurel, "Diana Ross & The Supremes Sing Disney Classics" was never released. The concept for the album must have began in late 1966 because instrumental tracks and vocals were recorded in January 1967 with some recording dates in April 1967. The album was put on hold when Florence Ballard was fired and Cindy Birdsong was brought in. By September, someone must have felt the album should be given a go again, so work resumed and was completed. For one reason or another, Motown never gave the album a catalog number or a release date so it was shelved. Motown must have been working with Walt Disney Productions on this album because "It Won't Be Long Til Christmas" was recorded before the release of "The Happiest Millionaire" which originally featured the song; however the song was cut from the film.

Most of the songs from the album have been released over the past 25 years with the exception of "A Spoonful of Sugar," "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah," and "Chim Chim Cher-ee" which are still unreleased.

I know some people are not all that fond of this album, but I really like it. I think it's fun to listen to. I think what some fans forget is that this album was intended for children. Motown had marketed the Supremes to teens with their pop material, but also marketed the group to adults with showtunes and old standards. I see this album as Motown's way of trying to market the group to children/youth.
    That's a shame the Disney album was never released. But you've confused me. If the album was never released, how come you were able to listen to it?

Through the years, many cuts from the album have been released [[all except 3).
    Here's and example of Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkU6s...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by ajk93 View Post
    Through the years, many cuts from the album have been released [[all except 3).
    Here's and example of Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkU6s...eature=related
    Is Cindy on any of the Disney cuts?

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Is Cindy on any of the Disney cuts?
    Yes...On "Heigh-Ho" Diana calls her by name.
    Last edited by jeff9nyc; 10-22-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Supremes Sing And Perform The Disney Classics [[Motown S658 - Unreleased)

1.Heigh-Ho

2.A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes

3.Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah [[unreleased)

4.When You Wish Upon A Star

5.It Won't Be Long 'Til Christmas

6.Toyland

7.Chim Chim Cher-Ee [[unreleased)

8.Whistle While You Work

9.The Land Of Make Believe

10.Someday My Prince Will Come

11.ASpoonful Of Sugar [[unreleased)

12.I've Got No Strings

13.Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

14.The Ballad Of Davy Crockett

15. I'm Late [[not completed)

http://www.dftmc.info/home.html
    Last edited by copley; 10-21-2011 at 05:51 AM.

Eight of the songs apperared on "DRATS - Never Before Released Masters". What album[[s) were "Heigh -Ho and "Someday My Prince Will Come" released ontracks 1 and 10

Quote Originally Posted by TMSG View Post
    Eight of the songs apperared on "DRATS - Never Before Released Masters". What album[[s) were "Heigh -Ho and "Someday My Prince Will Come" released ontracks 1 and 10

Check the link I posted and you'll find out.

"Heigh-Ho" was released on the 25th Anniversary ) Anthology?) set. Both Mary and Cindy have speaking parts.

Copley, is your list the planned sequencing of the LP? I didn't know Chim Chim and A Spoonful had been circulated amongst fans. Were they recorded with Flo or Cindy?

Diana, Mary & Flo recorded:
    - Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah
    - Whistle While You Work
    - I've Got No Strings
    - When You Wish Upon A Star
    - The Ballad of Davy Crockett

Diana, Mary & Cindy recorded:
    - Heigh-Ho
    - A Spoonful of Sugar
    - Chim Chim Cher-ee
    - Someday My Prince Will Come
    - The Land of Make Believe
    - Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Diana with choir:
    - A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes
    - It Won't Be Long 'Til Christmas
    - Toyland

According to the recording dates, "I'm Late" was recorded in January, 1967.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    Copley, is your list the planned sequencing of the LP? I didn't know Chim Chim and A Spoonful had been circulated amongst fans. Were they recorded with Flo or Cindy?
    I'm not sure if it was the planned running order. I just copied it from a site a long time ago. As far as I know 'Chim' & 'Spoonful' have not leaked out but ......

honest man Guest
    that is the question has anybody heard CHIM CHEREE, I have heard spoonful,so it is real ,do.nt know about chim cheree, though.

I don't recall 'Spoonful' but I have so much stuff. Will have to check.

"Chim Chim Cher-ee" does have vocals.

Laurel Guest

Wow! I've read through the posts since I was last here! I understand now how you could have heard all these songs. Did you put all of your Supremes Disney songs onto a CD so you can play them? I'm sure you enjoy playing those songs for your grandchildren [[if you have them?). I must admit I don't like a lot of the children's songs that are out there today. They just don't have the magic and innocence of the children's songs when I was growing up or when my own kids were kids back in the 1970s.

Have just found 'Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah' & 'A Spoonful of Sugar' which are OK-ish. Has anyone actually heard 'Chim Chim Cher-ee'?

Have just found 'Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah' & 'A Spoonful of Sugar' which are OK-ish.
    Any chance you could tell me where/how you found them? I'm not having any luck...

On my remote hard drive. To be honest you are not missing anything very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
    I didn't know the Supremes recorded a Disney album. I hope I can find one somewhere. I want my grandchildren to hear the classic children's songs as I don't like the kids songs that are out there today.
    Hi Laurel,

I'm one of those who isn't fond of this album's tracks. Like the Liverpool album, to me it has a hurry-up production, thin vocals and awfully tinny arrangements. I really love the Disney classic songs and other children's songs, and to me the Supremes Disney album just doesn't do the material justice.

For this type of material, I highly recommend:

Capitol Sings Kids Songs for Grown-Ups [[some Disney) - Nat King Cole, Johnny Mercer, Pied Pipers, Ray Anthony, includes the classic "Hokey Pokey" a dance anyone can do!
    http://www.amazon.com/Small-Fry-Capi...9376243&sr=1-5

Zip a Dee Doo Dah [[all Disney) - Rosemary Clooney, Doris Day, Benny Goodman, Jane Froman, others
    http://www.amazon.com/Zip-Dee-Doo-Va...9376330&sr=1-1

Barbara Cook Sings Disney [[all Disney, all Barbara Cook - she was the original Marian the Librarian in "Music Man" on Broadway and other classic shows)
    http://www.amazon.com/Barbara-Cook-D...9376439&sr=1-1
    Last edited by kenneth; 10-23-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    On my remote hard drive. To be honest you are not missing anything very much!
    That's too bad - some of the other Disney songs are charming...
    Last edited by ejluther; 10-24-2011 at 07:44 AM.

A few years ago I got an iPod and only put on the songs from each album that I knew I would want to hear repeatedly. The only Disney tune I included was "Davey Crockett" which I thought was a fun song.

I certainly hope they have plans to release the Disney album complete with any and all alternate versions so that they will NEVER be tempted to include any of those songs on any upcoming compilations or expanded editions of other studio albums!

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    A few years ago I got an iPod and only put on the songs from each album that I knew I would want to hear repeatedly. The only Disney tune I included was "Davey Crockett" which I thought was a fun song.

I certainly hope they have plans to release the Disney album complete with any and all alternate versions so that they will NEVER be tempted to include any of those songs on any upcoming compilations or expanded editions of other studio albums!
    You're hilarious. I would accept it as bonus tracks on a great Hip-O "Concept LP" release which augmented Sam Cooke, Sing C&W, Liverpool and Funny Girl. All together those would really make sense.

Of course, you could also pair Funny Girl with Rodgers & Hart; I think all of R&H has been released though it may be time for a remaster.

The Supremes doing Disney is a boring concept to me. From the ones I have heard they were all a Rossfest and I would rather hear Diana's singing on the Funny Girl album I can tolerate that. What I WISH the Supremes had done was sing songs to a movie soundtrack and I know they did the Happening and Dr Goldfoot and the Bikini machine but I mean a FULL soundtrack! Ross would excel in something like that and Mary and Flo Im sure would have been utilized in more ways if they had a full plate of songs. Children on no children those Disney songs remind me of that godawful ding dong ding dong hear the bell Christmas song. I think the only one I like is Whistle While you Work.

One of my favorite songs from these sessions is "The Land of Make Believe." Even though it is not a Disney song and was intended to be included on the Disney album, it's got a great bossa nova feel to it that not only showcases Diana's voice, but allows Mary and Cindy to shine. It still should have been used on an album regardless. Another favorite is the unreleased "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" which packs a lot of punch.

I can understand why some may not like the album or concept, but I would rather listen to this over an actual released album like "Sing Country Western & Pop," "Produced & Arranged by Jimmy Webb" or "On Broadway" which is basically a Diana Ross album with some support from the Supremes and Temptations here and there. Unlike the Christmas album or tracks from the unreleased "From Broadway to Hollywood" album, these Disney recordings feature the group as a whole with no Andantes. There are several tracks that have that choir singing, but the majority of the Disney tracks feature Mary, Florence and Cindy. The Andantes are barely on this...

One of my favorite songs from these sessions is "The Land of Make Believe." Even though it is not a Disney song and was intended to be included on the Disney album, it's got a great bossa nova feel to it that not only showcases Diana's voice, but allows Mary and Cindy to shine. It still should have been used on an album regardless. Another favorite is the unreleased "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" which packs a lot of punch.

I can understand why some may not like the album or concept, but I would rather listen to this over an actual released album like "Sing Country Western & Pop," "Produced & Arranged by Jimmy Webb" or "On Broadway" which is basically a Diana Ross album with some support from the Supremes and Temptations here and there. Unlike the Christmas album or tracks from the unreleased "From Broadway to Hollywood" album, these Disney recordings feature the group as a whole with no Andantes. There are several tracks that have that choir singing, but the majority of the Disney tracks feature Mary, Florence and Cindy. The Andantes are barely on this...
    Is there a list where the Disney RELEASED songs can be found. I would like to put my own disney cd together
    Thanks

Diana Ross & The Supremes: 25th Anniversary [[1986)
    - Someday My Prince Will Come
    - Heigh-Ho
    - When You Wish Upon A Star

The Never-Before-Released Masters [[1987)
    - The Ballad of Davy Crockett
    - A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes
    - Whistle While You Work
    - The Land of Make Believe
    - It Won't Be Long Till Christmas
    - I've Got No Strings
    - Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
    - Toyland

The Supremes - Box Set [[2000)
    - When You Wish Upon A Star [[alternate mix)

Diana Ross & The Supremes: Anthology [[2004)
    - Whistle While You Work [[extended mix)

Bootleg copies floating around of:
    - Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah
    - A Spoonful of Sugar

Was an official "album number" ever assigned to this proposed release? When might it have been released ... since it had both Florence and Cindy participating [[and being called by name in the lyrics)?

This album was never given an assigned catalog number yet roughly 95% of the album was completed with the exception of "I'm Late." They had more than enough to fill an album. What I don't understand is how they practically completed this album yet never gave it an assigned catalog number, but such projects as "A Tribute To The Girls" and "From Broadway To Hollywood" were assigned catalog numbers, but were far from complete.

I assume that if it was released in late 1967 or early 1968 that "Whistle While You Work" would have been removed from the album since Florence is mentioned. It could be possible that "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" would have been removed too.

Laurel Guest
    This album was never given an assigned catalog number yet roughly 95% of the album was completed with the exception of "I'm Late." They had more than enough to fill an album. What I don't understand is how they practically completed this album yet never gave it an assigned catalog number, but such projects as "A Tribute To The Girls" and "From Broadway To Hollywood" were assigned catalog numbers, but were far from complete.

I assume that if it was released in late 1967 or early 1968 that "Whistle While You Work" would have been removed from the album since Florence is mentioned. It could be possible that "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" would have been removed too.
    Does anyone have a link so I can listen to any of these Disney songs? I would love to play one next time my grandchildren come over. Brad, do your grandchildren love those Supremes Disney songs? I hope they do because I know you love them so much and it's such a great feeling to share something you love with your children and grandchildren and they love it too.

dianesfan_1965 Guest
    What the living hell is DRATS?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
    Does anyone have a link so I can listen to any of these Disney songs? I would love to play one next time my grandchildren come over. Brad, do your grandchildren love those Supremes Disney songs? I hope they do because I know you love them so much and it's such a great feeling to share something you love with your children and grandchildren and they love it too.
    Well Laurel, I did some digging through all the cuts on YouTube, and these are all I could find. I hope your grandkids
    like these! Way to spread the word about some great oldies!
    The Land Of Make Believe-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpTWO30wPcc

It Won't Be Long Till Christmas
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peXLxOE5iAM

I've Got No Strings
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER_vGAiDha8

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkU6s6i6wBU

Toyland
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9X-XXu7ObA

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is probably my favorite out of this bunch. While were at it, both Dionne Warwick
    as well as Bob B. Soxx and The Blue Jeans [[With Darlene Love) do great versions of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah. The Blue Jeans
    versions can be found here:
    Bob B. Soxx And The Blue Jeans
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8YPb_dO6Rk
    Doesn't look like Dionne's is on YouTube.

Let us know what your grandkids think Laurel!

Dianefan_1965: DRATS stands for "Diana Ross And The Supremes". No need to phrase your question like that.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Was an official "album number" ever assigned to this proposed release? When might it have been released ... since it had both Florence and Cindy participating [[and being called by name in the lyrics)?
    Copley lists this LP's catalog number as MS658 which places the collection immediately prior to Rogers And Hart, although I've read these catalog numbers sometimes were only meant as placeholders. This information does let us know the approximate time the concept was proposed.

Laurel Guest
    Well Laurel, I did some digging through all the cuts on YouTube, and these are all I could find. I hope your grandkids

I've Got No Strings

Toyland

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is probably my favorite out of this bunch. While were at it, both Dionne Warwick
    as well as Bob B. Soxx and The Blue Jeans [[With Darlene Love) do great versions of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah. The Blue Jeans

Dianefan_1965: DRATS stands for "Diana Ross And The Supremes". No need to phrase your question like that.

Thank you so much for finding these. One of my grandchildren will be spending the afternoon with me tomorrow and I plan to sit down at the computer and play this wonderful music for kids of all ages.

Laurel Guest

I've Got No Strings

Toyland

I've just played these wonderful Disney songs for my granddaughter Angela. She loved them so much. You should just see the smile on her face! Thank you so much for finding these and sharing them. I hope everyone here who has children or grandchildren plays these Disney songs for your little ones. What a shame this album was never put out for parents to buy for their children. These disney songs are for children of all ages. Thank you so much again for finding these songs on the internet.

honest man Guest
    chim chim cheree, any offers please............................................ ...........................................

I`ll swap a cd of "DR&S Sing & Perform Funny Girl" for "Chim Chim Cherie" & "Zip-Dee-Doo-Dah"