[REMOVE ADS]

The Complete Motown Singles Box Set, Volume 12 [[Parts 1 & 2)

As some of the other volumes have tracks missing, why oh why don't they just release it with the tracks that are already in the bag, with a disclaimer about the problem tracks. I for one would still buy it, and this series isn't just about the music, it's about the booklet, and the information that's been complied.
    If other people feel the same as me, let Harry know, and maybe, just maybe it will see the light of day.

I agree. Would also still buy it with some tracks missing...It feels like it's not ending properly now.

uptight Guest
    I wouldn't mind one or two songs missing. But if too many songs are missing, wouldn't it become The In-Complete Motown Singles?

And there we have the enigma, us mortals don't have no idea how many tracks are missing.

What tracks are missing from the series and why? I've not bought any of the sets but it sounds intriguing and I'm curious...

uptight Guest
    I believe "missing" refers to tracks where ownership has reverted back to the act who made the record and Motown was only distributing the record. Aren't there are some Rare Earth label tunes that fall into this category? Also, there were some one-off labels that Motown issued, too, that probably aren't considered "Motown." I don't mind if one or two of those are sacrificed.

The "I Have A Dream" speech by MLK on Gordy was excluded from TCMS because UMG don't have the rights to use it [[or it was too costly to license).

I don't know if it was an oversight, but the version of "She's Good" by the J5 used in TCMS Vol. 11A is not the released single that I have.

I woul definately buy it with missing tracks. There are references in volume 11 to "the next volume" so I always feel that the collection is incomplete. There were several tracks missing in the earlier volumes that were not owned by Motown, just distributed, so volume 12 would be no different.

uptight Guest
    I'm just saying, if there has to be any missing tracks, I hope there aren't too many omissions.

Quote Originally Posted by uptight View Post
    I believe "missing" refers to tracks where ownership has reverted back to the act who made the record and Motown was only distributing the record. Aren't there are some Rare Earth label tunes that fall into this category? Also, there were some one-off labels that Motown issued, too, that probably aren't considered "Motown." I don't mind if one or two of those are sacrificed.

The "I Have A Dream" speech by MLK on Gordy was excluded from TCMS because UMG don't have the rights to use it [[or it was too costly to license).

I don't know if it was an oversight, but the version of "She's Good" by the J5 used in TCMS Vol. 11A is not the released single that I have.
    I just got through telling someone on another forum about this. Motown often released more than one mix and/or mastering of a particular track, so it's possible they used one that you don't have. They did sometimes include both mixes of a particular song on the TCMS series which makes me wonder why, for instance, that "Do Ya Love Me" by The Contours doesn't have echo on it, while the 45, and the tape Bill Inglot/Dan Hersh used for the first Hitsville box does.

Back to subject, I agree, "complete" must be as complete as possible. So, there are rumours that Stevie Wonders songs can not be on this last set. That would make it not "complete".

But, off subject, isn't Motown [[or Polygram or Universal) famous for series that never happened where finished?

For example:

Soul Satisfaction. Nr. 1 wasn't Motown, Nr. 2 untill 5 where, more was promised. Nothing happened so far.
    Mo'steppers, more was promised...nothing happened
    Motown Baddest Love Jams- 2 discs where issued, more was promised...
    Tamla Motown Connaiseurs, 2 discs where issued, more was promised...
    Motown Blend [[the first remixed CD), more was promised, we had to wait almost 10 years for Motown Remixed...

I just hope they are able to finish TCMSC since we are collecting this since 2004.

That Motown Remixed 2 was really bad!

It would just be really nice to bring it its proper close. I have them all. Worked God only knows how much overtime to pay for it, but well worth it. Paulo xxx