[REMOVE ADS]

Hitsville studios, hollywood

I have asked this question several times on more than one forum and every time received an unsatisfactory responce...if I've received a response at all.

When did Hitsville Recording Studios in L.A. open? I'm guessing late 1971, early 1972. Even when I visited the place back in 1988, no one could tell me. It seems that no one knows less about Motown than people who work there. Hopefully someone here can shed some light on this subject. It would be greatly appreciated.

The early J5 sessions outside of Detroit were cut at The Sound Factory in West Hollywood and I think some other Motown sessions were done at Sunset Sound and Western Recorders. Thanks.

I can't answer your question but I found an interesting progression of moves. In TCMS Vol 11 B 1971, Suzee Ikeda's 'Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah' single [[Mowest 5004F A) features a track recorded at The Sound Factory [[possibly June 1971), lead vocal at Crystal Studio, [[July 11, 12 & 13, 1971) and additional lead vocal overdubs at Mowest Studio later in the month. The completed single was released on October 14, 1971.
    Suzee mentions that the Mowest Studio was on Melrose.
    Having never been to the Hitsville recording studio in LA, where was it located?

The one I visited was on Romaine near Santa Monica Blvd. in Hollywood. This, I believe was where most of the L.A. Motown sessions were done. If you didn't know exactly where it was, you might not find it. I was not aware that Motown had a studio on Melrose or how long it was there before they moved to the building on Romaine. Like I said before, a lot of the early Jackson 5's sessions were done at The Sound Factory on Selma in West Hollywood. The Sound Factory was owned and operated by Dave Hassinger, a former engineer at RCA in the '60s. Marvin Gaye did the vocal overdubs for most of his "What's Going On" LP there as well. I'm also aware that Motown did a lot of work at Crystal, even after their own studio was in full use. It would be great if someone would compile a complete Motown sessionography.

Interesting that this seems to be a topic no one is interested in.

Crystal on Vine St.:Stevie set up there quite a lot. The Jackson 5 also did. MoWest/Hitsville on Romaine had 3 studios. And with all, good studios, bad parking Hollywood Sound is still there on Selma and Ivar, the others are long gone. We did a Temptations tune, the "Power" song at Group IV on Wilcox [[also gone)in the early 80s. Whitfield had Fort Knox. There was a studio on every corner in Hollywood in those days.
    Last edited by funkcity; 11-02-2011 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dvdmike View Post
    no DRATS connection .......also it's a music topic

I have an interest but no information to add at this point. I was just thinking, while re-reading the comments, that a nice tour of LA encompassing the various Motown studios would be pretty cool on my next visit.

Interesting topic, but like most on this forum, I have nothing to offer or add.

I might suggest contacting folks that were "there" to avoid speculation; Russ Terrana may be a good start. You even may be able to find the answer in his brother Ralph's "Motown" book.

Both gentlemen should be easily accessible via this forum.

Good luck.

Here is what Russ and I can come up with. Please understand, it has been a flock of years.

Motown's original L.A. studio was called Mowest, located on Melrose Ave. We seem to remember the studio was owned by a relative of Guy Costa, maybe an uncle.

Then Motown bought Poppy Studio on Romaine. It was at this time that Costa was offered the job to manage the place.

However, Motown DID use various recording studios in the L.A. area before acquiring it's own. These studios were used primarily for vocal over-dubs and some sweetening. Most rhythm tracks were recorded in Detroit.

Don Costa was Guys uncle. Arranger, composer, conductor for the likes of Frank Sinatra, Steve Lawrence etc...

That's right, Funk.

Any insight into this?

Scherrie and susaye - partners - jennifudy and sound castle
    I know someone out there will know the answer to this.

I am transferring the Partners album from vinyl to MP3...looking at the cover notes, I see the album was recorded at both Sound Castle and Jennifudy studios. The tracks were then mixed by by Russ Terrana and Milt Calice and mastered by Russ and John Matousek at Motown Recording Studio. Given this was a Motown album, albeit recorded on West Coast, who were these studios and was this a once off? I've never heard of them before.....

Soundcastle began at Buddy Kings home then moved to Silverlake. The facility was originally owned by JBL the speaker company.
    2 studios: Front mixing studio SSL back tracking studio Neve. I worked there as chief engineer for a year in the mid eighties. The facility was bought by a rich pop star and went private.
    It's still listed correctly online as:
    Soundcastle Recording
    2840 Rowena Ave
    Los Angeles [[Silverlake), CA 90039
    [[323) 665-5201
    Last edited by funkcity; 11-02-2011 at 04:59 PM.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by funkcity View Post
    Soundcastle began at Buddy Kings home then moved to Silverlake. The facility was originally owned by JBL the speaker company.
    2 studios: Front mixing studio SSL back tracking studio Neve. I worked there as chief engineer for a year in the mid eighties. The facility was bought by a rich pop star and went private.
    It's still listed correctly online as:
    Soundcastle Recording
    2840 Rowena Ave
    Los Angeles [[Silverlake), CA 90039
    [[323) 665-5201
    So who was the rich pop star?

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    So who was the rich pop star?
    After me
    I don't know
    Call the number. Tell me what YOU find