[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

They're Back ....The Original Seven !!!!!!!

GT 's thread shook me up a lil bit had me reminiscing and contemplating and I thought dam I haven't stared a thread in a little while and "bam" !!!!! here come my boyzz with a new album of original songs scheduled for release about Oct. 18..........Oh Lord.......I can feel the condensation on my computer screen...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APsNg...feature=colike[/video]
    Last edited by paladin; 10-05-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Link sucks but this is what I'm talking about..........

Name:  condensate.jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  61.9 KB

Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick....................

Ho lee Shoot!...This news surely blew my mind! Oree Oree Oh, indeed....

http://www.billboard.com/news/the-ti...05374482.story

Alright! Now this is good and encouraging news! The Time is back! They were one of my favorite bands in the early 80's and half of them performed at my birthday party in Minnneapolis in 1991. Great guys. Thanks for sharing this news Paladin!

Morris, Jerome, Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis, Monte Moir, Jellybean, Jesse

Ok heres the video, not the best but you certainly get the picture, this is probably one of the weaker songs, but thats not saying anything new, they are first and foremost musicians and a performance band and my God, they know how to have fun.......

They talking about me.........might just be genuis........blogs, tweets....trendin....

Dayum....They ARE back!...Somebody bring me a towel....

Splanky methinks we gonna have to conversate about the condensate......its getting air play in Chicago......

Wow, just Wow.....:-)

....and they are playing REAL instruments! I'm liking this!!!

Wow, just Wow.....:-)
    ....and they are playing REAL instruments! I'm liking this!!!

Exactly....c'mon Marv, they always did........I remember writing about them at length on the old forum. This has been my band of choice since they dropped "Cool". I've seen them more times than I can count in all their variations. They are "The Baddest Band in The Land". But most importantly they are still here..........I once asked Terry Lewis, if they would play in a Club I worked at, he smiled and said no . I was standing there with my mouth open and he said ' we are too loud ! We would probably blow away all the doors and windows. He was at the club to speak with the owner about appearing there. I was head of security. This was no small joint it held 800 people. It didn't pan out but I got to spend some time with him.

They still own the city of Chicago a show ! If and when it happens, I will be there !

Right on paladin !

I am curious. Why can't they call themselves "The Time"?

Marv, I think it's because Prince owns the name...An all too common situation in the biz...

Splanky thats the way I understand it. The artists's formerly known as the "Time" have repeatedly stated that to be a fact. We must not forget the acrimonius feelings that set the foundation for this between Prince and Jam & Lewis which led to their explusion from the group. Many folk forget that Jam and Lewis were not in Purple Rain when they were at the peak of thier powers. Personally I wish them nothing but the best.

This is great news...they tour as Morris Day & The Time. Maybe there's some clause that they can't use the name to record. At any rate, looking forward to the music. Jam & Lewis are one of my favorite production teams of all time.

Jam & Lewis are one of my favorite production teams of all time.
    mine too......

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Marv, I think it's because Prince owns the name...An all too common situation in the biz...
    Prince, hmmmm, he needs to quit. Having spent time up there [[no pun intended) in Minneapolis, I could see how all those guys came up together from high school, etc. He should just give them back their name. He can't use it for much.

Marv

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    Splanky thats the way I understand it. The artists's formerly known as the "Time" have repeatedly stated that to be a fact. We must not forget the acrimonius feelings that set the foundation for this between Prince and Jam & Lewis which led to their explusion from the group. Many folk forget that Jam and Lewis were not in Purple Rain when they were at the peak of thier powers. Personally I wish them nothing but the best.

I remember that now. I too wished them nothing but the best in keeping the music alive and bring us some newer jams!

I remember that now. I too wished them nothing but the best in keeping the music alive and bring us some newer jams!
    Thats real talk Marv, The only time I like to hear "Jungle Love" is in the movie Purple Rain. New is the operative word here. I think they made a wise decision by releasing new music after all these years. GT mentioned that they owe Chicago a show, they were supposed to appear here but canceled after their reunion show in Minneapolis last year. I think they appeared in Detroit but never made it to Chicago. The problems may have centered on the Purple One, but they are back and I can't wait to get my hands on the new CD.........these guys belong together.........that in and of itself is refreshing........

"The Band Formally Known as The Time" LOL!!!! I love it. Great to see these brothers still bringin' it. These guys are dangerous live. Can't wait to see them again.

These guys are dangerous live. Can't wait to see them again.
    True Chi, for reasons those of us in Chicago know too well, my oldest son and I went to see then at The Dreaded "House of Blues" about ten years ago.......although it was recorded , I never saw the finished product, they blew the place up.....my son became a fan for life.......I've seen them blow Prince away...they are something to behold........

About Prince and the TIME name issue. I've always had the opinion that because the TIME was a creation of Prince and in actuality ,performed all of the album tracks from the first and second albums and most of the third. I believe that Prince was aware of the fact that although the albums were hits and the group, on the strength of those albums, were very popular. That popularity however was really based on the LIVE performance of those tracks performed by "THE TIME" in person, the visual group for touring??? Only they turned out to be a group of musicians that would make the Prince recordings sound like perfect demos. "THE TIME" ,live , tore the shii out those compositions. The visuals ,the energy ,the FUNK!!!!!!!!
    PRINCE , [[now I love and respect the brother ,highly ,enough to not feel guilty about voicing disagreement with his product or actions if I am not in agreement) ,saw this. Yeah , he saw that these MF's is good , and ,as ego is ego , I can't fault the man for that , but I think he had to feel he needed to have some control over how big they was going to get. I mean how would it be to have to compete with one of your own side projects , inadvertantly compeating on the same or surpassing your level. "THE TIME" ,was becoming a force to recon with.............But..........
    Like "The Man" ,he,[[Mr. Nelson) pistol whipped N's ,and kept them in line. Which followed with disbanding them , but they didn't die ,they ...multiplied. The energy would survive , TIME would ,in it's many individual incarnations, continue as it was destined and would tick on..............dispite the Biatch/Ego fueled jealous tantrums of a genius ,[[Two tears in a bucket ,Fuxk It , it's HIS CRY in this case ,the truth lies deep in his mind ) ,who would rather stifle them than enable. True , there is no reason why at this time he could not let them use the name. He could have leased or licensed the right to it ,if it was a matter of money. But no...he chose to be a BIATCH about it and even though he did , I'm gonna still watch for his new projects and enjoy what I like from his past work, but on this , he was just being a BIATCH .

On the other hand , we are dealing with a conglomerate of talented musicians ,both historically responsable and musically responsible for a segment in time ,[[no pun intended) ,of the evolution of the R&B/SouL genre. Comprised of the elements of the late 60's R&B /Soul as passed up through at least 3 generations , of which are still many around because of the growth of the population ,the culture of the period. Thers still a lot of people out there that remember good music. Real instruments. Lucky that there are still those that still can perform in this almost forgotten area. These guy's came up together , the retro ? movement is big business ,so who knows ,this all maybe a big game for pub. Just as long as the FUNK keeps comin......WTF???

Bi-atch, was the first thought that crossed my mind. Prince definitely wanted control, love the stories that the "fella's" would tell about Prince sending his 2 body guards into the studio to deliver messages and Jimmy Jam & Morris were fond of saying , ok dudes but they're seven of us.......

Oh Lord !

A snippet trailer teaser for the Original 7ven........, their release event will be held in LA.........

The CD drops this Tuesday [[11/18),and they will appear on Jay Leno this coming Thursday. [[11/20)

Thanks GT, Jimmy Jam summed it up nicely.........as Bart Scott would say "Can't Wait "..............

uptight Guest
    One of my favorite bands! Okay, Mr. Nelson. It's on now..!

And now a word from what's his name ?

Lawd have mercy ,there is a BestBuy right across the street from the bus stop where I get off to go to work. I will be swiping in there first. Then straight to the job and preview on my terminal.

<B>
    Lawd have mercy ,there is a BestBuy right across the street from the bus stop where I get off to go to work. I will be swiping in there first. Then straight to the job and preview on my terminal.

I got a good feeling about this........I am very interested in the Fan Pack........tommorrow is the day......

I got it !!!!!! I'm watching the bonus DVD now,and I will listen to the CD later ...

Got it....Checking out the CD now. At first listen , I like Condensate and #Trendin ...........
    but I'm on track 8 ,"Sick" , and Jesse is doing things on guitar that I simply cannot enjoy here at work with these itty bitty speakers , and this ....IS... a place of business

DVD later..

DVD now, Condensate later.....yes, yes, yes.........fella's whats the move.......????? We need a little love tonight......

By the way ,I also picked up LALAH HATHAWAY ,also exclusive to BEST BUY. Check out Ms. L's
    picture on the back..............

Wow! I like these guys.

30 Years with the Original Seven.........

By the way ,I also picked up LALAH HATHAWAY ,also exclusive to BEST BUY. Check out Ms. L's
    picture on the back...........
    DA as Morris would say .....OH Lord......!!!!!

Ralph, I just finished watching the DVD that came with the CD, There were quite a few things that I didn't know. But most people wouldn't understand the mad band love they have for each other. Someone will have to write a book about these cats. I don't know what it is or what causes it but when these guys front the stage, it's magical. I'll listen to the album later, right now my mind is full of Condensate from the DVD. I am completely blown away. Father Time has been good to these guys and they've been good to themselves, they look great and have distinct personalities, the inside information they shared and the way they comported themselves without bitterness says a lot about them. One interesting observation by Jesse Johnson, this is the first time that a recording group has reunited under a different name but with the Original members.
    Last edited by paladin; 10-18-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    About Prince and the TIME name issue. I've always had the opinion that because the TIME was a creation of Prince and in actuality ,performed all of the album tracks from the first and second albums and most of the third. I believe that Prince was aware of the fact that although the albums were hits and the group, on the strength of those albums, were very popular. That popularity however was really based on the LIVE performance of those tracks performed by "THE TIME" in person, the visual group for touring??? Only they turned out to be a group of musicians that would make the Prince recordings sound like perfect demos. "THE TIME" ,live , tore the shii out those compositions. The visuals ,the energy ,the FUNK!!!!!!!!
    PRINCE , [[now I love and respect the brother ,highly ,enough to not feel guilty about voicing disagreement with his product or actions if I am not in agreement) ,saw this. Yeah , he saw that these MF's is good , and ,as ego is ego , I can't fault the man for that , but I think he had to feel he needed to have some control over how big they was going to get. I mean how would it be to have to compete with one of your own side projects , inadvertantly compeating on the same or surpassing your level. "THE TIME" ,was becoming a force to recon with.............But..........
    Like "The Man" ,he,[[Mr. Nelson) pistol whipped N's ,and kept them in line. Which followed with disbanding them , but they didn't die ,they ...multiplied. The energy would survive , TIME would ,in it's many individual incarnations, continue as it was destined and would tick on..............dispite the Biatch/Ego fueled jealous tantrums of a genius ,[[Two tears in a bucket ,Fuxk It , it's HIS CRY in this case ,the truth lies deep in his mind ) ,who would rather stifle them than enable. True , there is no reason why at this time he could not let them use the name. He could have leased or licensed the right to it ,if it was a matter of money. But no...he chose to be a BIATCH about it and even though he did , I'm gonna still watch for his new projects and enjoy what I like from his past work, but on this , he was just being a BIATCH .

On the other hand , we are dealing with a conglomerate of talented musicians ,both historically responsable and musically responsible for a segment in time ,[[no pun intended) ,of the evolution of the R&B/SouL genre. Comprised of the elements of the late 60's R&B /Soul as passed up through at least 3 generations , of which are still many around because of the growth of the population ,the culture of the period. Thers still a lot of people out there that remember good music. Real instruments. Lucky that there are still those that still can perform in this almost forgotten area. These guy's came up together , the retro ? movement is big business ,so who knows ,this all maybe a big game for pub. Just as long as the FUNK keeps comin......WTF???
    The DVD proved just what a lot of us was thinking in the back of our minds. But as they say ,the TRUTH will always come out in the wash.......... And through it all....Two tears in a bucket ,Fugg It , The Time by any other name Funks on.

"Anger ,he smiles towering in shiny PURPLE metallic armor , Queen jealousy/envy stands behind him ,her firey green gown snears at the grassy ground"---Jimi Hendrix--from Bold As Love.

Now with that said ,may I suggest to you brothers ,go and find Jesse's "Verbal Penetration" CD.
    Last edited by daddyacey; 10-19-2011 at 12:51 PM.

I was very impressed with the DVD. It shared a lot of info about the band members and the band itself,that I didn't know .

daddyacey, I'm guilty of not owning Jesse's "Verbal Penetration " CD, but i will soon ....

Now back to the CD .....

I have listened to the album but have yet to formulate a cohesive review in my mind. Thats not a bad thing, I'm just caught up between what I hear as old and what I hear as new. Buy it, listen and you may understand.....lol.........

Now back to the CD .....
    Exactly !

Maybe I expected too much... Nothing from the CD really sticks with me. Too often it sounds to me like they are trying to be relevant to today's audience rather than to the audience that bought their records in the early 80's. Does everything have to be phenomenal? No. But with all the talent in that band I was ready for something that could sit on my shelf along with the original cd's. This would just take up space & collect dust.

Sorry, but that's the way my ears heard it. I'm off to listen to My Drawers now.

jtf1972---- 1984's LP ,"ICE CREAM CASTLES" and 1990's "PANDEMONIUM" were the first true "THE TIME" projects. The first two albums ,"THE TIME" and "WHAT TIME IS IT" were actually PRINCE compositions ,produced and recorded by him. When the actual group played those songs in person ,they had a certain added persona to them. When ,"ICE CREAM CASTLES" and 1990's "PANDEMONIUM" came out ,I didn't care for them at first because I expected that same composition element[[the Prince/Jamie Starr flavor) with the element of
    musicianship I heard in "THE TIME" ,when they played those selections LIVE. I grew to like them later on and more as I understood the circumstances that were the reason why ,"THE TIME" and "WHAT TIME IS IT" LP's ,were so different from ,"ICE CREAM CASTLES" and "PANDEMONIUM". The main attraction of the group ,"THE TIME" as a collective ,is their individual musical talents. Jesse Johnson is a bitch of a guitarist ,bassist ,multi instrumentalist and better IMHO than Mr.Nelson. As is Jellybean a stellar drummer ,Monte on Keyboards ,Jam and Lewis as producers and recordist's/engineers and Jerome and Morris as vocalists and characters ,[[the schicht,gimmick) that pulls it all together. "ICE CREAM CASTLES" is not the same as it's 6 year sequel "PANDEMONIUM" mostly because of the change in music during that 6 year period and the development of the individual group members in that period of time. The most successful of them being Jam & Lewis. Because of that succsess and the "commercial" appeal that a TIME reunion would possibly generate was the reason why PANEMONIUM came about. It turned out to not be the case ,and proved to be a little premature IMO for the atmosphere of the market ,so soon after the DISCO era. It was a gray area to me ,although it did seem a good idea at the time. I find it ironic that they are the key to this new reunion ,being that they were the second ones fired from the group ,if you count ALEXANDER ,which they eventually had big sucsess with.

All I'm saying to you is that this is not 1984 or 1990 and a lot has changed both in music and the music buying public ,and we are all older as original fans of the group and truthfully I don't expect a lot of the 20-30 year old demographic audience to appriciate this release ,in spite of the "OLD SCHOOL" sub culture fad in that demographic today ,but ...hey F Em . But I gotta say first of all ,this is the best 9.99 I have spent on new product in a long time ,[[no pun intended) . Electric yes ,but no gawdamn compterized auto tuned crap ,real FUNK and from some Mo Fo's that are as old as me that grew up listening to the same shii I grew up with and can play some REAL instruments ,at a minimum ,I'm satisfied. All I'm saying to you is to give it a few more spins and see what you think about it then.

@ paladin
    "I have listened to the album but have yet to formulate a cohesive review in my mind. Thats not a bad thing, I'm just caught up between what I hear as old and what I hear as new."

3 spins so far for me ,but after this "Saturday daytime when I can blast the shii out of it so the neighbors don't lose sleep session" ,I think I'll be ready for my "What say yee",from this jury comment on the project.
    Last edited by daddyacey; 10-22-2011 at 03:26 AM.

3 spins so far for me ,but after this "Saturday daytime when I can blast the shii out of it so the neighbors don't lose sleep session" ,I think I'll be ready for my "What say yee",from this jury comment on the project.

I feel ya, I can sense something coming together, the germination is complete, its oozing from my pores, kinda salty but clear like sweat.......no Condensate...........

Well.........I gotta admit ,I acted up and tore my ass today . I started out by playing the PANDAMONIUM CD. I hadn't played it in a while and I had noticed some simularites in the way that PANDAMONIUM and THE ORIGINAL 7 were sequenced. [[I wonder what happened to the 1987 complete live recording that DREAMLAND was taken from???)
    The OG7 starts off with intro's of the band members in the same way. STRAWBERRY LAKE , CONDENSATE and [[to an extent) ,#TRENDING , have that old "TIME" under JAMIE STARR groove to them ,but they are good tracks.
    Now about this time ,m'lady comes into the room and asks me who is that? I tell her...it's THE ORIGINAL 7 and she says , "never heard of them ,they sound like "PRINCE".
    Now I have to tell you that she had went to a PRINCE concert ,and had fainted because of the intense heat at the venue because PRINCE was late in going on ,but she bounced back and saw the concert ,so she knows her PRINCE.
    Next is tracks 6) IF I WAS YO MAN , 7)ROLE PLAY ,8)SICK ,9) LIFESTYLE and 10) Faithful.
    O.K. , now these mother jumpers are cookin with gas. From this point on [[6 -16) ,there is no doubt about it ,this is "THE TIME" ,straight up no chaser,VSOP. And sure enough by track 8-SICK ,m'lady shouts out from the kitchen , now they sound like the "TIME". I finally show her the CD case ,and I'm tickled at the initial perplexed look on her face as she pulls out the booklet, say's , hold up !!! Goes to get her glasses and sits down to check the booklet out. We talked about how she had heard that PRINCE had some issue about the use of the name "THE TIME" ,but didn't know that a new CD was coming out. I had also noticed that of the 8 or so people that I know that are into THE TIME , that I mentioned the CD to also did not know that a new CD was coming out or had heard some story about PRINCE'S issue with the name being used. A friend of mine I E-Mailed in ATL said ,"I didn't know THE TIME still recorded". It seems that there has not been a lot of promotion on this project ,but that's a subject I will post my opinion on later. The last 5 tracks from 11) CADILLAC to 15) HEY YO are classic TIME grooves ,but I really like the last track ,"GOHOMETOYOMAN" , MORRIS is still in rare form.
    In all I'm satisfied with this project ,I like it. I had no choice but to play the first disc of Jesse's ,"Verbal Penetration". I tell you , his project is ,I won't say better than OG7 ,but FATTER than OG7. THE TIME/OG7 is a combined entity of indivduals with awesome talent. JESSE's CD also has tracks that sound PRINCE like ,TIME like and then there's the tracks when he just shows his ass. Elements of HENDRIX ,HAZEL ,GRAHAM and PRINCE are all over this project ,but it comes off reflecting those artists as direct influences rather than imitations. That's my preliminary veiw on the OG7 CD. Looking forward to what others think about it. [[What say yee..:d:d) I'm still listening though. More later.

The first thing I want to say is ....Mandate My azz.......the first single Trendin is The New Time with the old Time buried up under and through it, I was talking to a colleague today and we were trying to figure out what was missing from the album. I noted that there was No Fishnet or 777 on this album or any cut that had that insanely popular infamous Jam and Lewis Groove signature[[ not to take anything from his Purple bitchiness). I simply love the ballads, Faithful in particular. Role Play and Sick are really good tunes as well. They certainly have maintained that portion of the Minneapolis sound [[Strawberry Lake) hmmmmmm and it made me wonder if that was done on purpose like an ode to Prince talking bout some inside joke that only they know.....but back to the subject.......They are all in rare form.........but wait a minute I haven't told you what me and my compadre figured out. The Time...uh ....The Original 7ven are "Cool" in the studio but they be some bad azz musicians "Live" ....and thats the point......when they perform these songs live it's going to be a reckoning. I'm talking global pandemic of epic proportions, its always been the show, the show...let's ruminate and then coagulate on that for a minute .......alright Time's up........The Show........welcome back fella's we be Trendin................and Faithful...........Yes ! Buy the dam CD..........

Did you guys like the FIRST album at all with the breakthrough hit, "Get It Up"?

This thread made me so happy! There are tons of TIME fans out there so this should sell at least 100.000 copies if not more. I only have 2 Prince albums Controversy, and a Greatest Hits album. I hate to say this but as talented and charismatic as Prince is I cant listen to his songs over and over. Its the songs that the OTHER artists did whether he wrote them or not that I can listen to again and again. Morris did Color of Success and Dont Wait for Me and of course Cool, 777-9311, and Jungle Love etc with the Time I can put those on and listen to them a thousand times. Prince got on my nerves with what I call the Sean Puffy Combs, Puff Daddy P-Diddy Syndrome. The Artist Fomerly Know as Prince, and then the Artist! When I saw Chaka Khan and Larry Graham on the talk shows calling him the Artist I was floored!

I dont know if he did it for publicity or what with the name thing but when he started threatening people on Youtube and his fans on blogs to take pics of him off of the Internet and he talked about how much he hated the Internet he got on my nerves and I was hoping that the Time would get back together and now it has happened. Prince is crazy I remember when he wouldnt even talk and now that his star has waned he has had no problem talking and appearing on shows for the last ten years! I even saw him on the View! The Paisley Prince is probably jealous I cant see why he wouldnt let these guys use the name especially considering he has had more success they have in terms of record sales. I know that Jam and Lewis have had great success as producers but Prince need not be jealous he is a legend I will admit it in his own mind as well as in music. The best thing about this is to see Jesse Johnson back with them he is a great guitarist. I can guarantee you if they tour and do Can you Help Me [[Jesse's song) and music old and new of the TIME they will do well. I saw an interview Morris Day did and he said they are going to start off in small venues and work their way up. When I heard this I knew he had sense and they didnt have egos thinking they could fill Radio City Music Hall and places like that.

I pledge allegiance to the TIME!
    Steph

Finally got to listen. Where is the funk?

Finally got to listen. Where is the funk?

All I'm saying to you is that this is not 1984 or 1990 and a lot has changed both in music and the music buying public ,and we are all older as original fans of the group and truthfully I don't expect a lot of the 20-30 year old demographic audience to appriciate this release ,in spite of the "OLD SCHOOL" sub culture fad in that demographic today ,but ...hey F Em . But I gotta say first of all ,this is the best 9.99 I have spent on new product in a long time ,[[no pun intended)
    I noted that there was No Fishnet or 777 on this album or any cut that had that insanely popular infamous Jam and Lewis Groove signature[[ not to take anything from his Purple bitchiness).

I think that you never know with the music buying public, The fella's have made a calculated decision that their now sound and cache will sell, we'll see. Since they have always been "A Band" first, we'll just have to ride out the journey. DA described it well, but I must admit, its the best 9.99 I've spent on a CD in quite some time. The idea of marketing their music through Best Buy and a companion DVD speaks volumes about their plan, they mean business.