[REMOVE ADS]

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yeah you mean Gino from Belgium, the Three Degree's guy.
    Thanks, Marv....that's the gentleman. It seems like a long time since he's posted. I enjoyed his pics and updates on The Three Degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Thanks, Marv....that's the gentleman. It seems like a long time since he's posted. I enjoyed his pics and updates on The Three Degrees.

Gino was into it! I know some people poked fun at him, but was into his girls, The Three Degrees! I enjoyed his thread dedicated to them whenever I'd look in from time to time.

DES!!!

What's up man & how the heck you been?

I have to say that I'm glad to see you picking up the ball here & are being hands-on about trying to help out here. I don't have the personality for moderation & certainly don't have the temperament for it. I'm a lot less patient than Ralph has been & likely even less forgiving about some things.

You are a most helpful addition, as you have a way of cutting through the bull & calling it like it is. We're cool & you still let me know when you thought that I had said or did something wrong & I respect that, just as I respect Kdub & Ms M for not circling the wagons & defending me when you thought that you were off-base, as more than a few here have done regarding their buddies.

Good to see you here!

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    No offense but that's a bit of a stretch soulster. There are many times you are right in the thick of the Supremes/Ross/Wilson threads. For instance you posted about a dozen times in the silly thread about whether DR bleaches her skin.
    I was simply discussing the issue at hand, not getting personal.

Quote Originally Posted by oldiesmusicfan View Post
    Ralph, I believe Soulster is referring to this latest edition of the forum when we all had to re-register, not the "old" forum before the big blow-up.

Soulster, if I remember correctly Destruction came down hard on you because you were having a word battle with a friend of his. Right or wrong, and I'm not passing judgement on anyone here, we all need to cool it. You said above that you are the bigger person, then why keep questioning someone's motive for saying what they did? If you felt someone was being a fool on the forum, why would you then do the same thing back at them? I have no problem with you personally, so please don't take what I've said as a personal insult to you. I understand your frustration about no one posting on some of your threads because we have all had the same thing happen to us.
    I honestly don't know what it was about. But, insulting someone is not the best way to defend your friend in a disagreement. There is a reason Des is on my ignore list, I carefully consider who to place on it. I base it on if I think the person in question is being malicious or not.

This place has always been very clannish, and not very open to "outsiders" if they don't immediately know or understand the dynamics of the relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    @ Soulster : Ok..... last post from me on this subject direct from the Forrst Gump handbook :........Ralph is The Godfather.........
    get it
    ?
    Again, I had no idea Ralph is referred to as "the Godfather". I have been here since the forum's beginnings ten years ago, but i still don't get all that insider stuff.

For your last post where you said "stuck on stupid", that really was uncalled for. It was. That's the kind of post that perpetuates the hostility here.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Soul,
    Why are you digging so far back into the past? That was then, this is now. Leave things be.
    Because it was never dealt with. No resolution.

I'm wondering what this thread is supposed to be about if it isn't for letting off steam or dealing with bubbling issues.

If one does not deal with issues, they fester.

Anyway, I have been expressing my concerns via PM. I really wish more people would use it, but people like an audience.

I haven't been ripping & running as I used to do, but I have had a chance to catch up with a few artists that we don't often see these days, as well as some that we do. It absolutely kills me that I wasn't able to see Russell Thompkins Jr. & The New Stylistics, as they're right at the top of not merely my favorite performers, but my favorite people. Over the next few days,I'm going to try to put up a few pics from a few of the events of the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by GeeTee[[HPK) View Post
    I've notice some months ago,how the forum has changed. At one time, this forum use to be very fun to talk about about and,share music etc;. It looks as though quite a few posts only get "lurkers" ,with very few responses. What's going on ? You mean to tell me that we have a bunch on nosey individuals that would rather lurk,than to actually say something ? C'MON, the numbers don't lie ! [[Cat got your tongue ? )
    There's often too much that has nothing to do with Detroit or Soul. Justin Beiber, X-factor, does anyone give a sh*t really? I posted the death of Steve Mancha and got a couple of replies whilst some other non soul, non Detroit topic at the time was buzzing along nicely. You ask a question about Detroit and often nothing comes back. It is one reason why a few I know don't use this site as much.

Detroit was one of if not the greatest City and its soul output was phenomenal. There is so much to talk about and still so much to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by chalky View Post
    There's often too much that has nothing to do with Detroit or Soul. Justin Beiber, X-factor, does anyone give a sh*t really? I posted the death of Steve Mancha and got a couple of replies whilst some other non soul, non Detroit topic at the time was buzzing along nicely. You ask a question about Detroit and often nothing comes back. It is one reason why a few I know don't use this site as much.

Detroit was one of if not the greatest City and its soul output was phenomenal. There is so much to talk about and still so much to learn.
    I know what you mean. I was home sick for Detroit years ago when I did a search and come upon this site "Soulful Detroit". I had assumed that there were other current and former Detroiters here so I was excited to join. Later on I learned that I was very much in the minority as there are not many Detroiters here. I love sharing memories and experiences about the Big D. But have come to enjoy learning about other places and music forms/styles.... There is the "DetroitYes Forum" that I never really caught on to, but may give it another shot.

STILL, I wished Detroit and it's musical heritage were a bit more prominent here sometimes.

Marv

Chalk,
    I think it is hard to determine how popular a thread will become. I understand your disappointment with some. I have floated a few myself, thinking the thread would take off, only to watch it die. I guess it boils down to what someone might be interested in at any given time. Don't be discouraged. If you have an idea you think might fly, give it a shot, and let it go where it is going to go.

As a guilty party, a lot of that type of thread [[like my "Smile Sessions" one) are floated in The Clubhouse, which is alot more open when it comes to subject matter. Personally, I don't think they belong on the main forum.

In defense of those kinds of threads, one thing I really like is the wisdom available outside of the soulish spectrum that many members here have. On the other hand, people seem a little more touchy about subject matter now than in the old days. I don't know if an "Aarruugghh....." thread would fly nowadays.

By the way Marv, have you looked at the Detroit YES forum? You can go there from here [[look on the banner). If you have a question about the city itself, that's the place to go.

I agree, Doug. Detroit Yes is an excellent website. Lowell's photographs are priceless.

pshark Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Do you think this forum software has anything to do with it? I'm guessing that a lot of old-timers just can't get used to it, and the new features. I mean, we even have a convenient way to quote people, but some are probably used to copy+paste.

The one complaint I have is that the administrator won't give us more color scheme options. I'm really starting to hate this bright red. And he still hasn't enabled avatars.
    Some site owners have been having problems with avatars. https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...hlight=avatars

I guess I'm one of those Lurker's who Hardly gets involved in these discussions, One of the reasons is I remember a few years back when I posted that I saw Issac Hayes in the National Rehab Hospital in DC, I was blasted by a few members in this forum.
    Ralph reached out to me to let me know not to let that kind of stuff bother me but it did and this is one of the few times that I have posted since. I'm sure some of these lurkers feel/felt the same way. I thought I was bringing news to the Forum and got shot down by people claiming to Know and have personal Knowledge of Mr. Hayes. When in fact he was here and sang for me.

Shermanb,
    I'm happy to see you posting once again. Test the waters a bit and, hopefully, what once was is no longer, and you'll rejoin us.

I guess I'm one of those Lurker's who Hardly gets involved in these discussions, One of the reasons is I remember a few years back when I posted that I saw Issac Hayes in the National Rehab Hospital in DC, I was blasted by a few members in this forum.
    I'm glad to see you back too, it aint perfect, thats for dam sure but this forum is still head and shoulders above the rest, in fact the Supreme threads have gotten a little......oh never mind......lol........
    Last edited by paladin; 11-03-2011 at 10:34 PM.

I'm glad to see you back too, it aint perfect, thats for dam sure but this forum is still head and shoulders above the rest, in fact the Supreme threads have gotten a littel ......oh never mind......lol........
    Oh they've gotten ridiculous, come on! You have a guy over there telling me who I don't know and who doesn't know me and he doesn't know anything.......LOL! SDF the best !
    Last edited by marv2; 11-03-2011 at 09:34 PM.

shermanb,

I very well remember that thread & I remember what happened.

You didn't say anything wrong in that thread, but as I remember it, there was kind of a hush-hush thing happening as regards Isaac & his health & people were being very protective of him.

Despite the fact that most here know that I know & am friendly with quite a few entertainers & am not going to state anything here without their permission, I've still run across a few folks whom will ask for a link or say that they haven't read anything about it on the internet. For example, an entertainer died & I received a phone call from his family asking to post it. His family weren't members of this forum, but the family wanted the information to be reported, so I did it here.

Another thing that some need to consider is that just because you didn't read it on the internet doesn't mean that it's not true. In fact, some people will tell it to people like us before they do mainstream media because we've been on forums such as SDF showing these people respect when it seemed as though the mainstream had forgotten their names & wasn't showing them much love before they died. So, it was kinda like letting family know first BEFORE everyone else, folks whom hadn't usually showing much interest of late.

For some folks, despite the fact that they should know that certain people know what they know, it don't say Haines, unless the mainstream media confirms that it's so. This is expected from a media whom couldn't tell you the whereabouts of the average Classic Soul artist & frankly, hasn't exactly been covering then with any regularity once the hits stopped coming.

Welcome back shermanb & man, don't let anyone dissuade you from writing what you want to write. It could be possible that you beat them to the punch, as they likely feel as though they're supposed to know it & not you.

I guess what is needed is a forum for any and all music that leans toward R&B, and all that encompasses, rather than to have one where the primary attraction is a certain type of music, or location.

Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    shermanb,

I very well remember that thread & I remember what happened.

You didn't say anything wrong in that thread, but as I remember it, there was kind of a hush-hush thing happening as regards Isaac & his health & people were being very protective of him.

Despite the fact that most here know that I know & am friendly with quite a few entertainers & am not going to state anything here without their permission, I've still run across a few folks whom will ask for a link or say that they haven't read anything about it on the internet. For example, an entertainer died & I received a phone call from his family asking to post it. His family weren't members of this forum, but the family wanted the information to be reported, so I did it here.

Another thing that some need to consider is that just because you didn't read it on the internet doesn't mean that it's not true. In fact, some people will tell it to people like us before they do mainstream media because we've been on forums such as SDF showing these people respect when it seemed as though the mainstream had forgotten their names & wasn't showing them much love before they died. So, it was kinda like letting family know first BEFORE everyone else, folks whom hadn't usually showing much interest of late.

For some folks, despite the fact that they should know that certain people know what they know, it don't say Haines, unless the mainstream media confirms that it's so. This is expected from a media whom couldn't tell you the whereabouts of the average Classic Soul artist & frankly, hasn't exactly been covering then with any regularity once the hits stopped coming.

Welcome back shermanb & man, don't let anyone dissuade you from writing what you want to write. It could be possible that you beat them to the punch, as they likely feel as though they're supposed to know it & not you.
    Excellent post Juice! Welcome back shermanb! The same thing happened to me a few years ago here. Mary [[Wilson) told me that she had finally started work on her coffee table book and for me to let fans and everyone know. So, I posted that information and as soon as I did, several guys that mostly reside in the Motown thread jumped all over me and said that I was lying. All that does is cause me and others to withold information that would be viewed as exclusive anywhere else. Like Juice, I do not repeat many things told to me by artists and others without their permission. That's just bad business. I understand that some people want to know everything with all the details and that is not always a good thing in my opinion.

Marv

I guess what is needed is a forum for any and all music that leans toward R&B, and all that encompasses, rather than to have one where the primary attraction is a certain type of music, or location.
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????
    Stop it! I am sure he knows what he meant! LOL!!!!

Soulster,

That is an excellent point & truthfully, a change such as this was inevitable.

It's like loving lobster or steak. No matter how much you love them, you simply cant eat them everyday. How many different ways could you cook them before you ran out of recipes?

Look at it this way, SDF is 10 years old & no matter how great the music & artists are, imagine discussing Detroit music, the whole Detroit music & nothing but Detroit music & artists 7 days a week, 365 days a year, 12 months a year for 10 years. How long could it have possibly been before every topic was thoroughly discussed, beaten to death, then regurgitated, ad infinitum? The what happens is that folks end up tripping over themselves trying to post something...ANYTHING to find something new & different to discuss. And sometimes, that can lead to arguments or just be downright boring to the majority of the forum. As just one example, let's look at those infamous Supremes threads, which need no introduction.

No matter what the ladies may or MY NOT be doing, there's always going to be someone who will find something...ANYTHING to post about them. And no matter how minor, no matter what it is, that is a reason to create all types of thread, even if it's the 9,875,769th discussion about who held their arms up at the 10 & 2 position on Hollywood A Go-Go on a Tuesday night during a thunderstorm, by God, you're going to hear it about again. What coffee did Diana, Mary or Flo drink on the bus of their first Motown Revue & by gum, someones got the answer to that too.

Destiny's Child wore gowns on a tv show & by gum, we're going to read about how their gowns aren't as elegant & besides, Beyonce can't fit a Mackie gown like The Supremes. We've had discussions about things ranging from who slet with hom, who bleached their skin & the only untapped ground seems to be a discussion of what toothpaste was used when they brushed their teeth before their first Sullivan appearance, or their farewell concert.

And because theres relatively precious little NEW things to discuss, there's usually a rehashing of the same old material, which means that the same arguments are rehashed. And even if there were no arguments, you'll have to admit that the average individual who's free of the obsession, simply doesn't get the stories, doesn't much care about the subject matter & really doesn't understand the level of venom which tends to accompany those threads.

But that's cool because they have their space & their place & you may enter at your own risk. but imagine an entire forum full of people trying to find something new & relevant to report, when there's precious little new happening, that is unless someone dies, or there's a new CD release. I just don't see how a forum could survive under those conditions & except for the very early days, just look what happens whenever we discuss certain DETROIT ARTISTS here. Not just currently but even as far back as YEARS ago.

How many threads have there been when one of us discusses Carl Carlton, The Dramatics, Enchantment & dare i say it, even The Four Tops. Go check the archives & see how many responses those threads have received & they were about some well-respected DETROIT ARTISTS & despite pictures & the like being posted, exactly how many of those whom have complained in the past about the deemphasis of Detroit artists so much as bothered to post in those threads.

Answer: DAMN FEW!!!

And in truth, the deemphasis of Detroit artists began when Bobby Eli joined & began bring some great stories about the Philly Sound. Weldon joined in a swell & as many of the records that they were involved with were so popular not just here, but also overseas, the emphasis & focus began expanding beyond Detroit, as music simply doesn't exist in a vacuum, plus the fact that many Detroit artists recorded outside of the city [[Jackie Wilson, Marv Johnson, Eddie Kendricks, anyone?), this only guaranteed that other regions would inevitably become grist for a great deal of discussion here.

Which may not be such a bad thing at all.

I think that what Soulster means is that there should be no discrimination against Soul music which emenates from any region, as it's all good.

If Detroit music were all that we discussed here, a whole lot of us would be left out from contributing to these discussions. And by now, there's precious little new ground upon which to tread.

pshark Guest
    Now if this was a one member forum it wouldn't matter what he meant

Marv,

I do remember that situation, but I guess that it comes down to whether people believe that the information is credible, or rather if the source is credible. Regardless, I do remember that situation.

As for telling people everyting, I am best reminded of what happened when I first posted about Ollie Woodson's illness. All that I did was give the information, asked people to pray for him, then directed everyone to his PERSONAL website.

Despite the fact that if there was anything additional that Ollie wanted people to know, he'd have said so on his website, I had to field questions asking about his illness. Now if a man didn't supply that information on his own site, why in the world would anyone expect me to take it upon myself & post it here?

So sometimes even though you know information about people, you simply can't post it here. I've known about several people & their illnesses or some other personal thing. But when people trust you to keep your lips shut, you simply keep your lips shut. And every now & then I'd come here before I checked my e-mail to read that someone had died. More often than not, it wasn't a surprise to me because I knew that they weren't doing too well, but that information wasn't for public consumption & that's something that I have to respect.

I guess it is what it is.

Soulster,
    And in truth, the deemphasis of Detroit artists began when Bobby Eli joined & began bring some great stories about the Philly Sound. Weldon joined in a swell & as many of the records that they were involved with were so popular not just here, but also overseas, the emphasis & focus began expanding beyond Detroit, as music simply doesn't exist in a vacuum, plus the fact that many Detroit artists recorded outside of the city [[Jackie Wilson, Marv Johnson, Eddie Kendricks, anyone?), this only guaranteed that other regions would inevitably become grist for a great deal of discussion here.

Which may not be such a bad thing at all.
    It is no bad thing and we should have more.

I fully understand if it was simply Detroit not much would be said but what is X-Factor and Justin Beiber doing on a Soul Forum?

There is loads of soul to discuss and plenty inn here who have been involved in the creation of some of the finest music on earth...lets hear more about this.

Personally think the forum is great, a mine of information when needed and some great stories, especially in the archives.

Yes, I do. I mean another message board. I should set one up. The reason I thought this is because this forum is focused on Detroit and "Northern" soul, and most of the membership likes it that way. It also makes it kind of an exclusionary club populated with those who were there back in the 60s, which also pushes up the age demographic. And, if one's interest in soul music is wider than the main focus of this forum and it's inhabitants, the solution is another message board entirely. I need to create one. I just can't afford it.

Juice, thank you for so eloquently explaining exactly what it is I meant for the comprehension-challenged among us.

It seems there are many who like things the way they are, so why fight it?

There is so much to R&B music! There's R&B music that spans decades, defies location, and is stylistically diverse. There are younger people who are fans of the music that just do not relate to all the interpersonal relationships of the Motown people who were there. Those who do not fit into the exclusive club, are not as fanatical as the rest of the Supremes fans, or, who are not familar with, or enamored of certain longtimers, are seen as troublemakers.
    Last edited by soulster; 11-04-2011 at 10:25 AM.

This is a very good thread. Excellent, reminds me of the old days, but I have to disagree with some of the positions taken here by various members.
    I shall try to be brief because the thread has taken on a different life and direction to include the diversity of the forum and the topics discussed therein.

This is one of the most diverse forums I've ever been associated with. Whether someone posts on Justin Bieber, The Temptations or God forbid...Tony Turner, its really all cool with me because I don't have to read it, encourage it or discourage it. Quite like I do the Supreme threads. Secondly during the time that I've been here we have probably discussed every Detroit Entertainment related topic that there is to discuss. Thats a given. But we have also had threads on Jazz, pop and blues artists although they were not as popular, we had them. You never know what thread is [[sans Supremes) will take off and generate legitimate and intelligent conversation. I personally like the Temptations but rarely start a thread on them and usually I'll try to get in where I fit in if someone thats new to the forum has a concept or someone that's old to the forum [[ like Jai) comes up with a new angle and we all know where he gets his inspiration.

Motown has a legacy and even though we have now become our parents and grandparents, there will always be conversation about that magical time in history. It may not be as heated or debated, but the legacy will endure. The so called deemphasis of all things Detroit and Bobby Eli and Weldon were mentioned prominently, added a new zest to the forum because it actually revealed another side of the business and how Motown's many contemporaries not only competed but became successful in their own right. I will always appreciate their contributions and it made the forum better. A rather famous Philly component of this forum is Russell Thompson and the New Stylistics and their long running thread is a testament to the diversity and participation in this forum.

Juice, I will take it under advisement that you have taken it upon yourself to explain something for someone else. I shall leave it at that. The legacy of Motown will outlast us all. I have written many times that we should be setting the example for those young folk that will follow us and encourage them to join us for the sake of enlightenment, entertainment and in some small way education. But realistically some things about the forum will probably never change, there are quite a few people here who continue to grind axes and all they have left is a handle. Let me begrudgingly illustrate; A forum member has been responding to something he posted about a Motown TV show for more years than I can count ! Now I ask you does anybody really care ? Whether it happened or not do we [[ the forum et al) really give a dam? Let it go people and let's move on. That has about as much chance of flying as Jai has of not drinking his hooch........the more things change the more they remain the same.

We're only here for a minute, lets use that time wisely.

I remember when Bobby Eli first came on the scene. He and I hit it off rather well. I was in the middle of writing the Tera Shirma webisode for David Meikle, who was running the show at the time. Bobby asked David if he could contribute something, but David was reluctant, wanting to keep the website pure Detroit, in keeping with the name. Well things changed. Bobby came on and was a hit. He actually played on the very first rhythm date at Tera Shirma Studio B, brought in by the legendary Mike Terry. The Dude had Detroit cred, besides all the Philly you could handle.

As far as I'm concerned, Soulful Detroit represents music..period. That is what we should all be about here. R&B, Rock, Blues, Polkas...name it. We will cover it.There is so much to learn from such a diverse group of people that come here. I will never discourage anyone wanting to post about the music that interests them.

I just get the vibe that some really resent the discussion of more than Detroit music and artists on this forum.

I wish they wouldn't, Soul. There is a lot of room here for everyone.

pshark Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chalky View Post
    There's often too much that has nothing to do with Detroit or Soul. Justin Beiber, X-factor, does anyone give a sh*t really?
    OK I posted an article on why Dexter Heywood a Memphis Soul singer & lead singer of the 80's group, Xavion, which I was unfamiliar with wanted to leave X Factor. His complaint of the show was the choice of watered down pop tunes he was forced to sing instead of the rock & soul songs that he's accustomed with, like the JB classic from his first XF audition. And I personally applaud him putting more value in his integrity than in the X Factor politics. So tell me, besides him not being from Dtown, what was wrong with my post?

I posted the death of Steve Mancha and got a couple of replies whilst some other non soul, non Detroit topic at the time was buzzing along nicely. You ask a question about Detroit and often nothing comes back. It is one reason why a few I know don't use this site as much.
    But the next day there was another thread confirming his passing. Not a whole lot of responses but enough to call it a thread. I guess the reasons that you didn't get a response is the lack of info.
    http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...ghlight=mancha
    http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...ghlight=mancha
    But I agree with you, I don't how the rule got broken of posting non related Detroit subjects. I think an "other music" section can be a good idea

I agree. I became a member of SDF,because I was told to take a look at this site. I joined,and I was pleased how this site have many topics to discuss. Variety is the spice of life.

I know that many people have left,and the forum has changed slightly,but I didn't want to leave the forum.

As I posted from the beginning, I was noticing that when I would post either a link or just a simple post,there was 0 response. All I could see were the numbers of people that was looking at the posts.

The straw that broke the camel's back for me was the Soul Train 40th Anniversary Concert post,in September. I decided not to post a long detailed post. [[and I'm glad I didn't) I posted video clips that was on YouTube, and newsclip from one of the local TV news in Chicago.

That's why I decided to start this thread,just to see where I stand as a member of SDF. I was not expecting for this post to take a leg of it's own,and still remain a factor even at this point.

I pick and choose what I want to reply to. If there's a subject I don't want to put my input in,I won't. Different strokes for different folks,it's just that simple. Who am I to tell someone to post or not to post,on a person or subject ? That's not my place to do so. As Ralph have stated,there's room for everybody.

Time is too short for negativity. [[at least I believe so) We can agree to disagree,and that's fine with me.

pshark Guest
    Agree GEE. Some of the nonsense that goes around here reminds me of:

LOL ! Yeah, it can be that nutty at times,but I avoid being a part of that madness.

Thank, Ralpht, Paladin, Juice, Marv, Marv2.

For the kind words and welcoming me back, I never left the forum for I still think its the most informative of all the music forums out there. I just couldnt handle all the negative responses to my post. your words have given me a new spirit about posting. I still may be lurking in the background but I will know longer not post for fear of backlash from the forum. I realize that everybody has something to contribute no matter how small. Just think I got to meet a superstar randomly by visiting my brother in the hospital, I mysel didnt believe it was him until he sang for me and that moment will always stay with me. I will be posting more. Thanks.

Shermanb

Quote Originally Posted by GeeTee[[HPK) View Post
    As I posted from the beginning, I was noticing that when I would post either a link or just a simple post,there was 0 response. All I could see were the numbers of people that was looking at the posts.
    I know what you mean. It's frustrating to see your thread about something different with no posts and a few views, but then see that three Supremes/Diana Ross threads have over a thousand views and hundreds of posts.

I know what you mean. It's frustrating to see your thread about something different with no posts and a few views, but then see that three Supremes/Diana Ross threads have over a thousand views and hundreds of posts.
    It's not always The Supremes threads either. My thread about Martha And The Vandellas quickly passed several
    hundred views and 90+ posts, but thanks to conspiracy theories and long tangents about other members, my thread
    was deleted within 2 days.

Marv,

I do remember that situation, but I guess that it comes down to whether people believe that the information is credible, or rather if the source is credible. Regardless, I do remember that situation.

As for telling people everyting, I am best reminded of what happened when I first posted about Ollie Woodson's illness. All that I did was give the information, asked people to pray for him, then directed everyone to his PERSONAL website.

Despite the fact that if there was anything additional that Ollie wanted people to know, he'd have said so on his website, I had to field questions asking about his illness. Now if a man didn't supply that information on his own site, why in the world would anyone expect me to take it upon myself & post it here?

So sometimes even though you know information about people, you simply can't post it here. I've known about several people & their illnesses or some other personal thing. But when people trust you to keep your lips shut, you simply keep your lips shut. And every now & then I'd come here before I checked my e-mail to read that someone had died. More often than not, it wasn't a surprise to me because I knew that they weren't doing too well, but that information wasn't for public consumption & that's something that I have to respect.

I guess it is what it is.
    In my case certain folks just have chips on their shoulders and I know why, but that is not important. Like you, people tell me things and it's just like any family friend or relative telling you something and that it is understood that you don't go off blasting it in public. Case in point, several years ago, in 1998 I was having dinner with one of the "Vandellas". We got to talking about Detroit and people in general that we knew. It was then that she told me that all of the Four Tops were sick. I know I never spoke about it on the internet and only mentioned it to my brother at that time. The following year is when one of the Tops told me about what the deal was. All this was a good 7-8 years before anyone had passed [[not including Lawrence.) It just did not seem right or proper to go telling people if I was not given permission to do so.

There is a guy on this forum right now that made up a huge LIE and then had the daughter of a legendary female Motown star calling my home to curse me out. Well, what that person did was wrong and he will have to answer to God for that whether he believes or not. What he did, without realizing it was severely damage his own personal reputation and created a good size chain of fairly prominent folks that now distrust and despise him for not only the trouble he tried to start for me, but because he manipulated the daughter of the legendary female Motown star! Most of them had to get involved in the situation to "cool things out"!

The way you handled the Ollie Woodson situation was correct in my opinion.

Marv
    Last edited by marv2; 11-05-2011 at 02:50 AM.

This is a very good thread. Excellent, reminds me of the old days, but I have to disagree with some of the positions taken here by various members.
    I shall try to be brief because the thread has taken on a different life and direction to include the diversity of the forum and the topics discussed therein.

This is one of the most diverse forums I've ever been associated with. Whether someone posts on Justin Bieber, The Temptations or God forbid...Tony Turner, its really all cool with me because I don't have to read it, encourage it or discourage it. Quite like I do the Supreme threads. Secondly during the time that I've been here we have probably discussed every Detroit Entertainment related topic that there is to discuss. Thats a given. But we have also had threads on Jazz, pop and blues artists although they were not as popular, we had them. You never know what thread is [[sans Supremes) will take off and generate legitimate and intelligent conversation. I personally like the Temptations but rarely start a thread on them and usually I'll try to get in where I fit in if someone thats new to the forum has a concept or someone that's old to the forum [[ like Jai) comes up with a new angle and we all know where he gets his inspiration.

Motown has a legacy and even though we have now become our parents and grandparents, there will always be conversation about that magical time in history. It may not be as heated or debated, but the legacy will endure. The so called deemphasis of all things Detroit and Bobby Eli and Weldon were mentioned prominently, added a new zest to the forum because it actually revealed another side of the business and how Motown's many contemporaries not only competed but became successful in their own right. I will always appreciate their contributions and it made the forum better. A rather famous Philly component of this forum is Russell Thompson and the New Stylistics and their long running thread is a testament to the diversity and participation in this forum.

Juice, I will take it under advisement that you have taken it upon yourself to explain something for someone else. I shall leave it at that. The legacy of Motown will outlast us all. I have written many times that we should be setting the example for those young folk that will follow us and encourage them to join us for the sake of enlightenment, entertainment and in some small way education. But realistically some things about the forum will probably never change, there are quite a few people here who continue to grind axes and all they have left is a handle. Let me begrudgingly illustrate; A forum member has been responding to something he posted about a Motown TV show for more years than I can count ! Now I ask you does anybody really care ? Whether it happened or not do we [[ the forum et al) really give a dam? Let it go people and let's move on. That has about as much chance of flying as Jai has of not drinking his hooch........the more things change the more they remain the same.

We're only here for a minute, lets use that time wisely.
    Another excellent post! I am thoroughly enjoy this! Let's continue.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I remember when Bobby Eli first came on the scene. He and I hit it off rather well. I was in the middle of writing the Tera Shirma webisode for David Meikle, who was running the show at the time. Bobby asked David if he could contribute something, but David was reluctant, wanting to keep the website pure Detroit, in keeping with the name. Well things changed. Bobby came on and was a hit. He actually played on the very first rhythm date at Tera Shirma Studio B, brought in by the legendary Mike Terry. The Dude had Detroit cred, besides all the Philly you could handle.

As far as I'm concerned, Soulful Detroit represents music..period. That is what we should all be about here. R&B, Rock, Blues, Polkas...name it. We will cover it.There is so much to learn from such a diverse group of people that come here. I will never discourage anyone wanting to post about the music that interests them.
    Ralph, do you remember my big , long thread in the old forum's clubhouse about Canadian Music & Musicians?

I just get the vibe that some really resent the discussion of more than Detroit music and artists on this forum.
    I for one don't resent it , coming from Detroit. I did get a lift this week when I saw that MikewUK[[sp?) started a thread about WeeGee of the Dramatics, but at the same time, I did comment in the Justin Bieber thread. I will admit that I very much enjoy discussing Detroit's Musicial Heritage, but I realize that there are not a whole lot of Detroiters on the forum.

Some one posted a thread about Loretta Lynn that seemed a bit odd to me because it was about her health and not even about her music. That one I thought could have went to the clubhouse. I am guilty of posting the thread about Samuel L. Jackson's Guiness Book of World Records honor on the main forum......it should have went to the clubhouse.

I did this a long time ago. I posted a thread listing as many artists as I could think of that came out of Michigan and Detroit. I think I might do that again when I get time. Maybe that will spur more discussion of Detroit's and Michigans contributions to the World of music?
    Last edited by marv2; 11-04-2011 at 11:39 PM.

I can tell you why that is, but it is going to be a long story! But basically what you have are folks that use belong to about a dozen or so old Yahoo Groups designated for fans of the Supremes and /or Diana Ross. These were popular about 10 or more years ago. There was so much bitching, arguing and general acrimony, that most of all of those groups were decimated! What you have now, today here at SDF are some of the "refugees" from those groups [[their MAIN interest in any thing musically related is Diana Ross with Supremes following as a close 2nd). Unfortunately, the ones that came here were responsible for destroying many of those old groups with a lot of nonsense that turned people off and ran them away.

Marv

Marv,
    I think I remember the thread.