[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Goooo Lions

Goooo Lions

How many of you, both Detroit area residents and ex-pats, ever thought the Lions would start an NFL season 4-0? After today's game, I think I need to up my high blood pressure medication. All of a sudden, "Gridiron Heros" has meaning again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aKNq...eature=related

[[I was listening on the web, and midway through the 4th quarter, Dora came into my office wondering why I was yelling at the computer.....)

I'm still shaking my head, Doug. And the Tigers took one from the Yankees today. Must be some sort of space warp we're experiencing.

They are playing very well. The combination of Stafford and C. Johnson is something to behold and they will probably get better. The first quarter of the season is over and I dont think their number one draft pick [[ N. Fairly) has played yet. The Lions are no longer the NFL's version of the Cubs and thats a good thing. But whats scary to me is that they are learning how to win, often coming from way behind.....yikes !

Yes their best start since 1980! Also go Tigers! Go DETROIT!!!!!

I was glad to see them come back against the Cowboys! The rate they're going now they'll prolly be in the Super Bowl within the next couple of seasons [[The Saints and The Jets will likely go this year)

I was glad they beat them sorry arse cowboys too..............hmmmm Detroit just beat the Yankees.......and Michigan stomped Minnesota over the weekend......oh my !

jboy.........The Jets.....I don think so..........:-)

I'm very proud of the lions and hope they can keep winning[although they should stop spotting the other teams twenty point leads]maybe for the first time in a long time the thanksgiving day game will mean something to the lions..go lions!!

Jai you could always send them a case of the special so they could spice up the other teams Gatorade jug........that is after next Monday Night !

The Detroit Tigers just beat the Yankees........oh yes......hell yes........I'm almost spastic........yippee !

Yep, the Tigers did it! I was so torn between Old hometown team vs Current hometown team.......TIGERS RULE!!!! LOL!!

2 years ago you couldn't give away Lions tickets. Yesterday, they posted for sale standing room tickets for Monday night. Sold out in 4 minutes.

Amazing. Keep in mind I'm in my early 60's. The last time the Lions were 5-0, I was eight.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug-Morgan View Post
    Amazing. Keep in mind I'm in my early 60's. The last time the Lions were 5-0, I was eight.
    This truly an amazing comeback story just as the one we will see with the City of Detroit......WATCH! Go Lions! Go Detroit! .....Go Channel 4? LOL!

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...bears-14708899

Lions Beat Bears for First 5-0 Start Since 1956

By NOAH TRISTER AP Sports Writer
    DETROIT October 11, 2011 [[AP)

With a raucous crowd helping out every step of the way, Matthew Stafford and the Detroit Lions made the most of their long-awaited return to Monday night.

Stafford threw two touchdown passes and Jahvid Best added an 88-yard scoring run in Detroit's 24-13 victory over Chicago. The Bears looked unnerved from the start by the noise level at Ford Field. They committed nine false start penalties and struggled to protect quarterback Jay Cutler.

"Our fans came out and did an unbelievable job. We need that kind of support every week," Stafford said. "That's just the potential of this city. We know that they can get behind us like that and come out and really wreck a game for another team."

The Lions are now 5-0 for the first time since 1956 — the year before their most recent NFL title. This was their first regular-season Monday night game in a decade, and with the nation watching, they showed emphatically this is no longer the sorry franchise that endured a winless season just three years ago.

Instead, Detroit kept pace with NFC North rival Green Bay, the league's only other undefeated team. The Lions have won nine straight games dating to last season.

"We need to get used to playing games like this," Detroit coach Jim Schwartz said. "We need to get used to playing prime time games. That's a big step for this team, that's a big step for the city."

AP
    Detroit Lions fan Jason Waller, of Charlotte,... View Full Caption
    Detroit Lions fan Jason Waller, of Charlotte, N.C., cheers during warm-ups before the NFL football game between the Lions and the Chicago Bears in Detroit, Monday, Oct. 10, 2011. [[AP Photo/Paul Sancya) CloseStafford threw a 73-yard touchdown pass to Calvin Johnson in the second quarter, and Best's touchdown was the second-longest run in franchise history. But more than those two highlights, this game will be remembered for the Bears' repeated inability to deal with their surroundings.

Chicago's problems began before the ball was even snapped. The Bears [[2-3) were whistled for six false starts in the first half — more than any other team has committed for an entire game this season, according to STATS, LLC.

When he did drop back to throw, Cutler didn't have much time. Detroit sacked him three times and came close on several other occasions.

"I threw a couple left-handed, one over my head and at least one underhanded. When you have to do those kind of things, you aren't going to be successful," Cutler said. "We started with a regular count, but the guys couldn't hear me, so we had to go to a silent count. It was a lot of things."

Cutler went 28 of 38 for 249 yards and a touchdown, while Stafford was 19 of 26 for 219 yards with one interception.

Chicago's Matt Forte ran for 116 yards, but he was upstaged by Best, the second-year running back who rushed for 163 yards, surpassing 100 for the first time in his career.

The Lions trailed 10-7 at halftime before two third-quarter touchdowns. Stafford put Detroit ahead with an 18-yard strike to Brandon Pettigrew, and Best's long run padded the Lions' advantage.

Johnson's touchdown catch was his ninth this season. In Detroit's previous game, he became the first NFL player to catch more than one touchdown pass in each of the first four games of a season.

Chicago was whistled for three false starts on its first offensive series and another on its second possession. The Bears used two timeouts in the first quarter in short-yardage situations, and in the final minute of the quarter, Forte was stopped by Ndamukong Suh on fourth-and-1.

Share Comment Print Single Page
    Text Size- / +Page 2 of 2
    DETROIT October 11, 2011 [[AP)
    After the Bears unsuccessfully challenged the call, Chicago was left without any remaining timeouts for the half, not a great situation in front of 67,861 fans — a Ford Field record for a Lions game.

"Blue-collar towns are the best sports towns. When cities are going through tough economic times, states are going through tough economic times, people look to sports as an escape. We have a responsibility to give people something to smile about," Schwartz said. "We feel a very strong bond to this city. I think our work ethic reflects the city of Detroit's work ethic."

AP
    Detroit Lions assistant director of pro... View Full Caption
    Detroit Lions assistant director of pro personnel Charlie Sanders, right, hugs former Detroit running back Barry Sanders before the Lions' NFL football game against the Chicago Bears in Detroit, Monday, Oct. 10, 2011. [[AP Photo/Carlos Osorio) CloseOn that note, Schwartz was quick to turn his attention toward next weekend's matchup. It's another home game for the Lions, this one against a San Francisco team that's also been an interesting surprise this year. The 49ers [[4-1) lead the NFC West.

"I don't think you win any awards for 5-0. We've got to play 16 games," Schwartz said. "We've got a long way to go. It's a good start."

Notes: Chicago DE Julius Peppers left briefly with a knee injury in the first half, but returned to the game. "He tried to suck it up and go back out there," coach Lovie Smith said. "That's what you'd expect. We'll see how he is. Other than that, we came out of it fine." ... Lions returner Stefan Logan was shaken up in the first half and left the game, but returned before halftime. ... Detroit rookie DT Nick Fairley made his debut two months after surgery on his left foot.

Those guys are playing like they mean it.

The guy I really feel great for is Jason Hanson, the Lion's placekicker. We live in Wazuu [[Washington State University....GO COUGS!) country, where he set a number of PAC-10 and NCAA placekicking records. Drafted by the Lions in 1992, he's been with them for 20 years, the all time longest tenured Lion, and is 1 year short of the NFL record.

This guy has seen it all in his career, the downs and the way downs. He could have bailed at the end of various contracts, but has stuck it out with the team and really deserves to finish his career [[which may go on as long as George Blanda's) with a winner.

They kicked our azz like we had slapped one of their kids.....wow ! The Lions reminded me a bit of the old 85 Bears, they came to kick ass and did...all hail......

Unfortunately, I must concur Mr. Paladin. It's going to be a LONG fall. Think I'll go Christmas shopping on Sundays. The Roar is indeed back.

Chi, I've been trying to reach you!!!

Grumble, grumble, grumble.

They gave it a good [[or at least resonably good) shot, but the streak ends. Hope neither the Lions or the home crowd goes into a funk that effects the team next week [[at home) against Atlanta.

As an aside, this was a heart attack inducing weekend. Eastern Michigan beat Central with an end zone incerception as the clock wound down, then this. Don't know if I can take many more of these types of games....

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    I was glad to see them come back against the Cowboys! The rate they're going now they'll prolly be in the Super Bowl within the next couple of seasons [[The Saints and The Jets will likely go this year)
    I take back what I said about the Jets! With the passing of Al Davis fresh on their minds, the Raiders are on my contender list now! But I haven't jumped off the Lions bandwagon, having lived in Michigan for 9 years.