[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Motortowners in Miami

A few old club ads from over 50 years ago ......
    Attachment 3577

Here's another one from around 18 months earlier ........
    Attachment 3578

AND yet another, this time a show featuring 4 Detroit acts in Sept 66 .......
    Attachment 3579

The earliest ad yet .........
    Attachment 3580
    This club was situated in Coconut Grove however most of the black clubs back then were based in the Overtown area of the city.
    Even if an act [[says the Supremes) were playing gigs at a Miami Beach Hotel, they would have to stay in a hotel in Overtown.
    These hotels housed some of the best clubs / function rooms & the acts would jam till the early hours whilst staying [[after getting back from performing down on the Beach).
    Some of the top local venues were the Flamingo Room and the Zebra Lounge located at the Mary Elizabeth Hotel, the Night Beat at the Sir John Hotel and the Island Club / Harlem Square Club [[Sam Cooke cut a live album there in 1963).
    Radio Stn WFEC used to broadcast from the Sir John Hotel when it started up in the 50's.
    Sam Moore grew up in Overtown [[at 1451 NW 3rd Avenue) and Jerry Williams [[Swamp Dogg) lived there [[at 8730 North West 16th Avenue) after he moved down in the mid 60's).
    Another top local venue for black acts down to perform in Miami was the Lyric Theater and this still exists, whereas most of the rest of the centre of Overtown was destroyed to make way for new highways.

These are FANTASTIC!!! Thank you so much for sharing. I remember Knight Beat, which was at Sir John's Hotel. Also,
    the show for Sept. 10th with Joe Tex, Mary Wells, etc. was in Orlando on Sept. 12th. I think the ad has a misprint
    when the Miracles are listed. They certainly weren't on the bill and wouldn't be at the bottom. Perhaps they
    meant the Van Dykes who WERE on the bill.
    The show we saw featured Joe Tex, Mary Wells, Barbara Lewis, Mable John, Lee Dorsey, Howard Tate, Pigmeat Markham,
    Peg Leg Moffett, Van Dykes, William Bell, Blues Busters, Shirley Walton. Clyde Williams Orchestra too.

Posters were different too for the show Sept. 12th at Orlando Municipal Auditorium as it was a Universal Attractions poster. Yea, misprint abot the Miracles, hell they would have been the Stars no way could Joe Tex "top" them.I also doubt that Motown would have allowed them to be booked on a show with Mary in 1966.

The Harlem Square Club I remember being THE South Florida night club of the early 60's.Thats where the first Motortown Revue played in '62. Sir Johns was on a major road cause we saw the Motortown bus in the pkg lot & then I called there & talked to Mary Wells & she invited us to the hotel.

JSmith, those were EXCELLENT!!!! Thank you very much for sharing those ads.

Marv

JSmith, are you in Miami? Anymore ads from the newspaper you can share would be GREAT!!! I remember seeing some of
    them in the Miami Herald in the early '60s when we lived down there in West Hollywood [[Pembroke Pines).

Also, isn't the bottom portion of the ad with Joe Tex, Mary Wells, etc. cut off? That photo in the center is Pigmeat
    Markham; yet his name isn't given.

Here's another one then; still sticking with the Detroit connection ....
    Name:  Miami65b1.jpg
Views: 2258
Size:  35.0 KB

A Motown group made the trip in 66 .......
    Name:  MiamiMotwn66a.jpg
Views: 2087
Size:  46.6 KB

A big soul show at the Miami Stadium in 68 now ........
    Name:  Miami68a1.jpg
Views: 1968
Size:  81.4 KB

Another show in 1968, the Professionals hit Miami again ........
    Name:  Miami68f1.jpg
Views: 2245
Size:  50.2 KB
    BTW, Eddie Holloway wasn't a member of the Professionals but was a local singer also on the bill that night. Eddie had started out as leader of Miami based group, the Soul Pleasers [[who cut for Living Legend). He then went solo [[when the group split) but took on 'guest lead singer' duties with the Third Guitar on two tracks that outfit cut for Rojac [[even though 3rd Guitar had their own lead singer in the shape of Snoopy Dean).

Regarding Post #3 of this thread .........
    Joe Tex was up at the top of the bill as he also had his own 'upcoming stars' section on the bill .......
    Name:  Miami66c1.jpg
Views: 1828
Size:  32.6 KB

Great! Thanks so much--all the above performers I mentioned above performing in Orlando two nights later, Sept. 12th.
    And did everyone notice the ticket prices for this show???? I think we paid $2.50 each.

An earlier show by Jackie Wilson .........
    Name:  Miami1964b1.jpg
Views: 1950
Size:  81.3 KB

Another show from the same year ....
    Joe Tex was already a big local draw in 64 ....
    Attachment 3587
    There was a big Bahamian community in Miami back then,
    hence lots of calypso & ska features in the clubs at that time.

The Sir John Hotel's Patio Pool is mentioned in the above ad .....
    ........ here's a picture showing it ...............
    Attachment 3588

A few more acts booked into the Knight Beat Club ....
    Attachment 3589

Marie Knight was born in Florida in 1925. Although she grew up in New Jersey, after she found success as a singer, I guess playing gigs in Miami came quite naturally to her.
    She started out singing gospel in the 1940's and enjoyed some hit recordings with Sister Rosetta Tharpe in the late 40's. Solo gospel recordings followed in the 50's before she crossed over to the secular side towards the end of the decade.
    She enjoyed a hit duet in conjunction with Rex Garvin in 1959 & also toured the UK in that period.
    More hits followed in the 60's and these made her popular enough to secure gigs at the white hotels on Miami Beach [[the Diplomat Hotel being one of these).
    Whilst in the area, she would also play gigs at the local black clubs .....
    .... here's one engagement she undertook in 1961 ....
    Attachment 3590

Marie only passed away a couple of years ago, having reached the ripe old age of 84.

All the history books state that Sam & Dave met up on a gig at Miami's King of Hearts Club in 1961 ..........
    Sam Moore was born in Miami whilst Dave Prater moved there from Georgia in 1957. Both performed solo in local clubs up until 1960 [[!!!!) when Sam came to Dave's assistance on a club gig and their duetting commenced ........
    How do I know better than all the book's that the duo had actually performed together as early as 1960 and not in 1961 ......
    ..... well here's a King of Hearts Club ad from 1960 .....
    Attachment 3591

They soon built up a big following locally and Henry Stone secured them a record deal with Roulette. Atlantic's 2 main men caught the duo at a King of Hearts show a few years later and signed the pair up straight away. The rest is history [[as they say).
    Last edited by jsmith; 09-15-2011 at 10:58 AM.

Another show [[a few years later) at the same venue ............
    .. but by then it had changed its name to the Continental .....
    Attachment 3592

These are all fabulous! Have you been on the site "Limestone Lounge"? It's all about the Florida, particularly Miami,
    music scene and there's a thread with great pics & info on Sir John's Knight Beat. I think the web address is
    www.limestonerecords.com

Go to the "limestone lounge" and then the top of Florida's soul music, I think.

Anyway, I love looking at old news ads for shows, especially from places I remember.

By the way, I noticed that Clyde Williams Band was with Joe Tex in the earlier ad [[with Solomon Burke). I think Clyde
    was actually the drummer with his band.

More evidence that Sam & Dave were a duo as far back as mid 1960 ......
    Attachment 3593

Another local show that took place in summer 1960 ..........
    Attachment 3594
    I guess Gil Askey was still a member of the orchestra back then.

Another favoured local venue was the Palms in Hallandale [[a town just north of Miami).
    This was another major stop on the Chitlin Circuit back in the 60's ...
    .. an ad for a show there back in 1960 ....
    Attachment 3598

Simply fantastic, that Harold Burrage poster is great.....as are all the rest.........lol.....

The Palms Club in Hallandale was operated by Ernie Busker. He also ran two other clubs, one in Jacksonville, the other in Bradenton. From 1958 on, he would book acts such as Jackie Wilson, James Brown, Sam Cooke, Ruth Brown, the Drifters, Lavern Baker, B B King, Bobby Bland, etc to play gigs at his 3 clubs.
    To help promote these gigs, he would ensure that the DJ's [[King Coleman & the like) at local radio stn WMBM had copies of the upcoming acts latest 45. These tracks would then receive airplay and thus interest in the artists would be raised locally.
    But the Miami radio stn signals would travel some way, especially out to sea. It was common for many Bahamians to listen in to R&B stns such as WMBM and so they too would be getting to hear cuts by the artists about to appear live in the Miami area.
    This fact led to Ernie Busker being contacted by the owners of the Club Zanzibar in Nassau and he was asked to add bookings at the club in Nassau for some of the artists he was bringing down to Miami. The charge for shows at the Nassau Club was 10 shillings [[UK) which back then equated to around $1.40.
    This practice was certainly going on in 1959 & 1960 but I'm unsure of when the arrangement broke down, however the Palms seemed to have disappeared off the 'live show' scene before the mid 60's.
    Typical prices at the Palms were $1.00 at the weekends and 75c in the week.
    Sometimes acts [[lesser draws) would just be booked in for just a 3 night [[weekend) stint and then shows at the Palace [[NW 17th Ave & 70th St, Liberty City) would be added to supplement the local shows being performed by these acts.
    Other artists booked into the Palms [[& Palace) in 1960 ....
    Attachment 3601

A Miami record shop also doing better business due to what WMBM was playing on air back in 1960 ......
    Attachment 3602

Tri-county blacks knew about the Palms. But The Palms wasn't only famous in Miami, Broward and Palm Beach, it was known by all the big artists on the national circuit. Jerry Butler said the Palms and the Sir John Hotel were looked upon as the premiere black clubs in the area.
    By all accounts the club had started life as a drive-in movie theater and it had an outdoor barbecue plus a 106 foot long bar.
    James Brown first played the Palms sometime in 1956 thanks to Henry Stone who secured him a gig at the club due to the local popularity of his 45 "Please, Please, Please". Bobby Byrd is quoted as stating with regard to the song “Try Me” that “James found the song in Florida while he was working the Palms in Hallandale. I'm pretty sure it was really written by some other guy who just gave it away to James to record; either that or James developed it out of something he heard down there".
    Guitar Slim [[well known for his extreme showmanship) would exit the club during his act and dance across car roofs while playing his guitar through a 200 foot cable plugged into the house amp [[& he would do this without missing a beat). Etta James recalls a night when Marvin Gaye and a local ‘lady’ had a dispute that ended up with them both rolling around fighting in the muddy puddles.
    ..... a later James Brown engagement at the Palms .........
    Attachment 3603

An ad connected with the info included in the above post ........
    ... Jerry Butler [[+ Etta James) back in Miami [[in 64) and playing at the Sir John Hotel ...
    Attachment 3604

Some Sam & Dave shows at the Sir John Hotel in mid February 1965 ...
    ... by then the King of Hearts Club had changed to become the Continental
    ..... so I guess their strong ties with that club had been broken .....
    Attachment 3605
    The '10 year anniversary" claim must date to the time [[1955) when either Sam or Dave first started performing secular songs. It certainly doesn't relate to their time together as a duo or even to when Dave first arrived in Miami.

Keep em coming! Love reading these.

A local record shop's Top 15 45's back in 1959 ......
    Attachment 3606
    James Brown's "Try Me" stands at No.6

An ad for radio stn WMBM .......
    Attachment 3607
    It was King Coleman's voice that was used on "[[Do The) Mashed Potatoes" by Nat Kendrick & the Swans [[really JB's Famous Flames) -- a big hit in 1959.

King Coleman was also an MC for alot of the touring pkg shows sent out by Universal Attractions.One in particular that came to Orlando Oct.1966, The Wilson Pickett Show that featured Billy Stewart, James Carr, TV Mama, Al TNT Braggs & the Al-tones & yours truly got to do 2 songs with the Wilson Pickett Band "Working In a Coal Mine" & "Uptight".King Coleman was a real nice guy.He had great charisma & was part of a funny act with TV Mama.

WMBM's King Coleman back in 1958 .....
    Attachment 3609

Top attractions appearing at the Palms in 1958 ....
    Attachment 3610

Aretha in Miami in 1958 .........
    Attachment 3611

Jumping forward a few years .......
    Some New Yorkers down in Miami ....
    Attachment 3614

Having moved to Chicago as a young child, Dee Clark heads back to sunnier climes in 64 ....
    Attachment 3615
    Note the upcoming star attractions !!

Just over three years [[& a few big hits) later --
    the local guys have gone up in the world, venue wise ....
    Attachment 3618

I believe that the support act advertised as Kim Tarver
    was in fact [[Cleveland's) Kim Tolliver !!!
    Last edited by jsmith; 09-17-2011 at 02:45 AM.

....... Just a few days later .....
    the same show is re-advertised with a major change .....
    Attachment 3617

Otis Redding had been killed over that weekend [[Dec 10) when his plane had crashed at Madison, Wisconsin on its way from appearances in Cleveland to his next gig.

........A sunny radio stn [[back in the day) .........
    Attachment 3619

I'm off for a week in the sun [[south of France) myself today
    ... so no more posts on here from me for 7 days.

Miami's own Steve Alaimo was on the bill for the big Sam & Dave Show! Great ads!!!!

An ad for a show held at the Jim Jam Club in 1958 ........
    Held over for a 2nd week were 5 strong local group, the Chanteers ....
    Attachment 3625
    MC on the night was Flip Wilson, no doubt he was still touring the chittlin circuit clubs before hitting the big time a few years later.
    It states [[in the ad) that the Chanteers were already a 'recording act' back in 1958 though the 1st 45 by the group I know of was titled "Jungle Twist" and so [[I guess) dates from 1960 or 1961.

A photo of the Chanteers.
    They were formed at Roosevelt Senior High School in West Palm Peach, Florida and included J.P. Robinson [[lead singer) and Joe Fisher in their line-up.
    A [[later?) photo of the group when they were just 4 strong .......
    Attachment 3626

An ad for radio stn WRBD ........
    ... by this time ex-group singer Joe Fisher had become a radio DJ ...
    .... needless to say, he helped establish J. P. Robinson's recording career by playing / plugging all JP's 45's on his radio show .........
    Attachment 3627
    One of JP's outings [[from 1974) that has really stood the 'test of time' well is "Our Day Is Here" [[Alston).