[REMOVE ADS]

RossHolloway Guest

Wonder makes musical tribute to Motown's Edwards

By JEFF KAROUB

The Associated Press
    DETROIT — Hundreds packed a Detroit church Wednesday to give a final goodbye to Esther Gordy Edwards, the sister of Motown Records founder Berry Gordy Jr. who helped him build the musical empire and led efforts to preserve the original headquarters in the city.

This Oct. 1988 photo shows Esther Gordy Edwards at Hitsville USA in Detroit. Edwards died last week at age 91. A visitation is being held Tuesday, Aug. 30, 2011 at James H. Cole Northwest Chapel. She's the sister of Motown Records founder Berry Gordy Jr. [[AP Photo/Detroit Free Press, Steven R. Nickerson)

Edwards died last week at age 91.
    Berry Gordy clasped hands with Smokey Robinson as they entered the Bethel AME Church. Stevie Wonder, who also signed to Motown, spoke before performing a stirring, soulful rendition of one of Edwards' favorite hymns, "His Eye is on the Sparrow." He said he was "giving all the praise to God for what she did in my life and the many lives she touched."
    "I think if we all had a mother or sister or aunt or cousin or sister or niece that celebrated and cheered our family as much as she did hers, we'd have a world of unity," said Wonder, who also played the original "Sweetest Somebody I Know" that he said is "so much about her."
    "I am just thanking God that in my lifetime I knew her," he said.
    Edwards had many executive roles with the company her brother founded in 1959, including managing the guiding the artists' careers and exposing the famed "Motown sound" to international audiences as director of international operations.
    Still, her lasting contribution to the company came after Motown and most of her family left Detroit for the California in the early 1970s. She amassed what would become valuable memorabilia and set to work on preserving the old headquarters that included the label's famed Studio A. The large, stately former house on West Grand Boulevard opened as a museum in 1985.
    Robinson said Edwards was the only one in the company's early days who knew Motown was "going to make history," so she took pictures and saved "every little scrap of paper, every tape."
    "Fortunately, there was Esther, who had our backs," said Robinson, who introduced himself to the audience as "Smokey Gordy Robinson."
    "Now we have a pictorial and an itemized history of our legacy, right there on West Grand Boulevard," he said.
    ___
    August 31, 2011 01:56 PM EDT
    Copyright 2011, The Associated Press. All rights

very touching. Thanks for posting this.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    very touching. Thanks for posting this.
    No problem. That's what this forum is about.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post

By JEFF KAROUB

The Associated Press
    DETROIT — Hundreds packed a Detroit church Wednesday to give a final goodbye to Esther Gordy Edwards, the sister of Motown Records founder Berry Gordy Jr. who helped him build the musical empire and led efforts to preserve the original headquarters in the city.

This Oct. 1988 photo shows Esther Gordy Edwards at Hitsville USA in Detroit. Edwards died last week at age 91. A visitation is being held Tuesday, Aug. 30, 2011 at James H. Cole Northwest Chapel. She's the sister of Motown Records founder Berry Gordy Jr. [[AP Photo/Detroit Free Press, Steven R. Nickerson)

Edwards died last week at age 91.
    Berry Gordy clasped hands with Smokey Robinson as they entered the Bethel AME Church. Stevie Wonder, who also signed to Motown, spoke before performing a stirring, soulful rendition of one of Edwards' favorite hymns, "His Eye is on the Sparrow." He said he was "giving all the praise to God for what she did in my life and the many lives she touched."
    "I think if we all had a mother or sister or aunt or cousin or sister or niece that celebrated and cheered our family as much as she did hers, we'd have a world of unity," said Wonder, who also played the original "Sweetest Somebody I Know" that he said is "so much about her."
    "I am just thanking God that in my lifetime I knew her," he said.
    Edwards had many executive roles with the company her brother founded in 1959, including managing the guiding the artists' careers and exposing the famed "Motown sound" to international audiences as director of international operations.
    Still, her lasting contribution to the company came after Motown and most of her family left Detroit for the California in the early 1970s. She amassed what would become valuable memorabilia and set to work on preserving the old headquarters that included the label's famed Studio A. The large, stately former house on West Grand Boulevard opened as a museum in 1985.
    Robinson said Edwards was the only one in the company's early days who knew Motown was "going to make history," so she took pictures and saved "every little scrap of paper, every tape."
    "Fortunately, there was Esther, who had our backs," said Robinson, who introduced himself to the audience as "Smokey Gordy Robinson."
    "Now we have a pictorial and an itemized history of our legacy, right there on West Grand Boulevard," he said.
    ___
    August 31, 2011 01:56 PM EDT
    Copyright 2011, The Associated Press. All rights
    What a lovely homecoming for Esther Gordy Edwards. This woman knew that "His Eye is always on the Sparrow" and he was watching over her. She has gone home to glory with the great voice of Stevie Wonder proclaiming her love of the Lord . A great send off for a great lady.

Roberta.

What a nice tribute for Esther Gordy. I sure hope there were more Motowners there besides just Smokey and Little Stevie Wonder. Berry's heart must be broken.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    That's what this forum is about.
    I second this emotion.