[REMOVE ADS]

Labelle Remake What Can I Do For You? by Helen Bruner & Terry Jones and Chinahblac

Hey Everybody! I know it's been a while and Helen and I have been very busy. We have a documentary about our life as indie artist titled INDIE SOUL premiering at the Congressional Black Caucus Film Festival in September?. I wanted to let you all know that we wanted to pay homage to the iconic Labelle and chose remake What Can I Do For You. Myself , Helen and our friend Chinah thought the lyrical content was so timely for what is going on in the world today. Ms. Sarah Dash of Labelle found out we were going to cover the Labelle classic and Sarah tweeted "I know you Owned It. Looking forward to hearing it. Call me when you have the listening party." "We were so honored when we received that tweet from the legendary Sarah Dash". Here is a little promo video we did so you can see & hear. The single will be released on September 13, 2011 and we will have a record release party in Newark, NJ at the Key Club on the same day. It's free hope you can make it! Soulfully, Terry Jones

Wow--sounds great, girls! Somebody in the background sounds just like Sarah! You all should contact Nona on her MySpace page and see what she thinks--she's really nice and tirelessly supports younger artists.

Always a great song, you girls sound good! Long live Labelle...

Bobc So happy you like the sound! And we have reached out to Nona and have met her in the past, nice lady.

brother_love Yes we always did love the song and were told it was the B side to Lady Marmalade, so everybody who is a fan of Labelle or purchased that record loved the song. Glad you like the new look and our sound with Chinah. And yes long live Labelle!

Wow....you guys just gotta do a whole album! Best of luck with this project. Love 'the look', too!

Name:  labelle.jpg
Views: 1474
Size:  23.4 KB

Hey Terry, actually “What Can I Do For You?” was the A-side to Labelle’s second single that was released from their 1974 number one pop album “Nightbirds.” The B-side to “Lady Marmalade” was the tile song of the album “Nightbirds” a song that Nona wrote which was inspired by Janis Joplin. The B-side to “What Can I Do For You?” was another great song that was also written by Nona entitled “Space Children.”

Note: On the 45 version of “What Can I Do For You?” there are extra vocals at the end that you’ll hear Patti sing that were not on the LP version. [["You'll never know what can you do for me...") The song was written by the late James "Budd" Ellison and the late Edward "Rev." Batts who were both part of Labelle's mighty band.

Terry, your beloved mother was one of the greatest of them all may she R.I.P. LOVE her.

Hey brother _love.

Thanks for that info on Labelle and love that cover! I love to listen to the endings of vinyl, you hear some very interesting things. Nona what a writer! I knew that Budd passed but didn't know that Rev did too.
    When Helen was a little girl Crocket who use to play with Pattie was Helen's neighbor and Budd would come by Crocket's house and talk to Helen about music because Crocket told Budd Helen wanted to grow up and become a singer & musician. Small world huh?
    Also thank you so much for the lovely words for my Mom!

Here's our cover

Terry, you KNOW I'm going to support you all. Just took your mother out of the car cd player just last week and I'm rockin me some Al Green but Linda goes back in TODAY! You girls look and sound great! Much success with this. Keep the Philly crowd posted on your appearances here, ok?

Just a side note...........I know someone who is in touch with Brenda Payton's [[Brenda & the Tabulations) daughter and I heard she sounds just like her mama. Wouldn't it be a hoot if you all could hook up and do a "daughter's of" show/concert? [[Just my little ole fantasy.)
    Last edited by nosey; 08-30-2011 at 08:41 AM.