[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    CNN- Dislodged houses floating in rivers and lakes. Hundreds of roads closed. Historic covered bridges destroyed.

Southern Vermont was shrouded in misery late Sunday after Hurricane Irene tore through, dumping rain on ground saturated earlier this year by snow and rain.

A woman was swept away in the Deerfield River in Wilmington and was feared dead, Gov. Peter Shumlin sold CNN.

The damage and flooding is so great, officials had no clear idea of the number of casualties.

"I think tomorrow we may find some bad things," said state police Capt. Ray Keefe. "I hope not."

Keefe, who said the flooding was the worst he has seen in 24 years, described scenes of utter devastation. "The storm essentially shut southern Vermont down," he said. "It's terrible."
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/28/irene.vermont/

Miss Irene knocked down 2 trees in my neighborhood and I was without power for only 4 hours that night. She SLAMMED parts of NY and NC. Is Marv OK?

Stephanie, Marv had said he was leaving the area to stay with friends. Many places are still without power and some may continue to be until the end of the week or longer. Plus, many roads have been destroyed or trees are down.

Hurricane Irene

[[CBS/AP)
    NEWFANE, Vt. - Entire towns in Vermont and New York remained cut off by flooding, some communities were still warily watching swollen rivers and millions of people from Virginia to Maine had no electricity on Tuesday, three days after Hurricane Irene slammed into the Eastern Seaboard.
    The storm has been blamed for at least 40 deaths in 11 states.

Commuters in New York City and New Jersey got back to their workday routines Tuesday, as most train service resumed.
    When Hurricane Irene unleashed its wrath on Newfane, Vt., Martin and Sue Saylor were among the lucky ones. All they lost was the road to their hillside home, and their utilities.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...20099197.shtml

A lot of these communities are going to need help. Federal disaster money is being drained. With Cantor and possibly the rest of his gang trying to take this issue hostage while demanding more cuts could leave many out in the cold.

I understand there are internet scams popping up so I would suggest sticking to agencies you know, like the Red Cross and United Way.
    Last edited by ms_m; 08-30-2011 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Miss Irene knocked down 2 trees in my neighborhood and I was without power for only 4 hours that night. She SLAMMED parts of NY and NC. Is Marv OK?
    I am fine Stephanie and thank you for asking. Here on the South Shore of Eastern Long Island we did not see much damage at all. In my neighborhood there was basically nothing but twigs from trees and leaves blown over the streets thank God!

I went thru Manhattan on Sunday afternoon and people were out walking their dogs, riding bikes and jogging!

Quote Originally Posted by ms_m View Post
    Stephanie, Marv had said he was leaving the area to stay with friends. Many places are still without power and some may continue to be until the end of the week or longer. Plus, many roads have been destroyed or trees are down.

Hurricane Irene

[[CBS/AP)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...20099197.shtml

A lot of these communities are going to need help. Federal disaster money is being drained. With Cantor and possibly the rest of his gang trying to take this issue hostage while demanding more cuts could leave many out in the cold.

I understand there are internet scams popping up so I would suggest sticking to agencies you know, like the Red Cross and United Way.
    I ended up in Allentown,Pa. Ms. M. It rained hard all the way over and all night until late Sun morning.

Glad you're safe Marv. Was there any damage when you returned home?

Ms. M, have you talked to Bobby Eli lately?

Penny

Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    Ms. M, have you talked to Bobby Eli lately?

Penny

No Penny I haven't but if anyone needs to reach me send me a private message.
    Thanks.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by ms_m View Post
    Glad you're safe Marv. Was there any damage when you returned home?
    There was none and we had not even lost power which was amazing. I thank God for that. Those in New Jersey [[as well as Vermont) were not as fortunate. I was expecting to see this big disaster scene upon arriving back on the Island but I did not see anything.

Glad to hear Marv but it depends where on LI you live. I saw pics of people having to be rescued because they were trapped in their homes by the water. Good thing you don't live in those areas.

You know this but many people may not...Long Island is a pretty big area with lots of towns and cities.

BTW Penny, someone just sent me a rather interesting email....I will not repeat it but it did make me decide to respond to your inquiry a little more in depth.

Other than talking to Bobby Eli on SDF, he and I have never met, never had any phone conversations and never exchanged any personal emails....just wanted to throw that out there.....

LOL...geeze, people crack me up....hahahahaha [[not you Penny, just people in general)

They showed floating caskets in Vermont yesterday. Why does the media have to go overboard in covering certain stories?

Here they showed a dog covered in mud that was washed up on the beach!

Power never left us.....but we lost cable and INTERNET access off and on for days after.....

All in all we took Irene's swipe......and made the most of it.....

Name:  TreeDown2.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  65.2 KB

America's Supermodel Swings Into Action

Name:  TreeDown1.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  68.3 KB

Strike a Pose

Name:  TreeOver.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  71.8 KB

Ironically, the tree was slowed by the cable and phone lines.....and it landed more on my neighbor's house than mine....which kept my fence from collapsing

So far the accessed damage is minimal. Will know more when they move this sucker later this week.

Some people see this and thnk marshmallows.........I'm seeing Brats.

She is a cutie. That first pic reminded me of ones we took as kids in our backyard right after the 4th of July Tornado in 1969 ripped a huge tree up.