[REMOVE ADS]

Esther Gordy Edwards has passed away

One of the founders of Motown and the driving force behind Berry Gordy has passed away! Here are the articles:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...rds-dies-at-91

http://www.freep.com/article/2011082...text|FRONTPAGE

I'm sorry to hear this. My condolences go out.

Thanks for posting the articles. Mrs. Edwards was a very nice lady.

What a dark week for Motown fans. Nick Ashford, now Miss Esther

I got a call this morning from my Mother. I've known Mrs. Edwards for years . God Bless her and may she rest in peace.

Back in the late 80's I invited several clients to my suite at the Fox Theatre in Detoit for a Ross concert. The next day, I took a few of mt guests to the Motown Museum and met Ms. Edwards who spend much time with us talking bout the Museum. When it came time to pictures, she took control and orchestrated to whole picture taking process that resulted in professional looking photographs. There was no pretense at all, she was did not possess one bit of ego and treated us like we were the stars! When Martha walked in, she asked her to come over and meet my group! Ms. Edwards had the girls doing the STOP move with their hands imitating the Supremes! I received a couple of calls today from my guest about meeting Ms Edwards. I believe her life is a testament on how our actions impact our legacy of how we are remembered. Ms. Edwards will be missed.
    Last edited by detmotownguy; 08-25-2011 at 01:32 PM. Reason: added content

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Back in the late 80's I invited several clients to my suite at the Fox Theatre in Detoit for a Ross concert. The next day, I took a few of mt guests to the Motown Museum and met Ms. Edwards who spend much time with us talking bout the Museum. When it came time to pictures, she took control and orchestrated to whole picture taking process that resulted in professional looking photographs. There was no pretense at all, she was did not possess one bit of ego and treated us like we were the stars! When Martha walked in, she asked her to come over and meet my group! Ms. Edwards had the girls doing the STOP move with their hands imitating the Supremes! I received a couple of calls today from my guest about meeting Ms Edwards. This is so sad.
    Detmotownguy, that is exactly how Esther was. She was a fixture as well on the "society" scene in Michigan for decades. I remember the time she dressed up as one of the clowns for the Hudson's Thanksgiving Day Parade! LOL! I loved her.

Marv

[

Mrs. Edwards was a very nice lady. She'd always take time to speak with die-hard Motown fans who visited Hitsville before it was an official museum. I remember her smiling during a fan convention in 1990 when fans bid on old items she had kept to raise money for the museum's official opening.
    May she rest in peace!

Rest in Peace, Mrs. Edwards...

uptight Guest
    Rest in peace, Mrs. E. You were a friend and mentor. Those Gordy women really held it down!

Quote Originally Posted by uptight View Post
    Rest in peace, Mrs. E. You were a friend and mentor. Those Gordy women really held it down!
    Yes they did! They were the true "divas" and I mean that in the best sense of the word.

Very sad......and just when the Hype and Soul book is about to launch.....no doubt full of stories about her.

Sad news. We were at the Motown Museum yesterday when we had found out that Mrs. Edwards had passed away overnight. Everyone was shocked. There was media crews outside the museum throughout the day. Our tour group gave Mrs. Edwards a round of applause for her efforts in keeping the Motown legacy alive. Rest in peace.

I had the pleasure of meeting her on on my and only visit to the Motown Museum not long after it opened. She and Doris Holland were the most perfect hosts you could imagine. R.I.P./...Paulo xxxx