[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Diana Ross & the Supremes / 50th Anniversary: The Complete Singles 1961-1969,

Set for release September 13 [[digital) and October 25 [[CD):

Diana Ross & the Supremes / 50th Anniversary: The Complete Singles 1961-1969, a 3-disc set featuring every A- and B- side from their beginning, when they were known around Motown as the "no-hit Supremes," through their record-breaking triumphs, their 12 No. 1 hits, ending with their extraordinary decade-ending smash "Someday We'll Be Together."

This release is just around the corner, yet I don't see a lot of talk about it. I love the concept, especially adding all of the "no-hit Supremes" singles. You don't see them included quite often. Does anyone know [[maybe I missed it): is this a Hip-O Select release?

If you own "The Complete Motown Singles" collections from Hip-O, you indeed have all of these tracks in beautifully mastered condition. Right?

For me to purchase this release it would have to include decent size reproductions [[bigger than the postage-stamp-size reproductions we have gotten in the past) of all the 45 picture sleeves.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Set for release September 13 [[digital) and October 25 [[CD):

Diana Ross & the Supremes / 50th Anniversary: The Complete Singles 1961-1969, a 3-disc set featuring every A- and B- side from their beginning, when they were known around Motown as the "no-hit Supremes," through their record-breaking triumphs, their 12 No. 1 hits, ending with their extraordinary decade-ending smash "Someday We'll Be Together."

This release is just around the corner, yet I don't see a lot of talk about it. I love the concept, especially adding all of the "no-hit Supremes" singles. You don't see them included quite often. Does anyone know [[maybe I missed it): is this a Hip-O Select release?

I haven't talked about it, because I have all of these recordings already [[most since they came out). A few on other CD packages. How much is it going to cost?

I was told that this release is going to be exciting! It will be much more than just another compilation in a jewel case. This will be a must have for real fans!

Thank goodness we will finally get a fabulous remastered version of Baby Love! [[Sorry guys, I couldn't resist!) I will buy this pretty quickly. I am one who played the b sides as much as the a sides so to have a set that compiles all is terrific to me. Glad to see that something was planned for this momentous occasion. And I'll probably pick up the Temptations set as well.

I, too, am glad that something is planned that clearly honors The Supremes 50th Anniversary. I guess that a collection all of the singles is the most logical option. I am curious about the 'exciting" part. It would have to be the presentation, i.e. jewel case/booklet/notes, etc.

Beatles fans buy the same tracks in different packages;
    and this Supremes fan will be buying this "50th" release..
    it's called being a fan..

[

YAWN! What else exciting can they add, a few photos with the heads cut off?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    [

YAWN! What else exciting can they add, a few photos with the heads cut off?
    I have to agree. Only a serious fan would be interested in all the B-sides, and those fans would already have almost everything on prior comps or albums already reissued on CD. Also, from my casual observation there are far less Beatles comps than there are Supremes out there on the market.

There is a lot of the "same old same old" here but I want the B sides together; I'm looking forward to this one.

And pray.........no headless Supremes; that really is a slight, particularly to any that might be regarded as "lesser" Supremes. There were really only 10 and perhaps some others with very tenuous connections; but they are all identifiable and were never headless.

Does anyone know where this is being sold and if there is a listing ?

Well, Captainjames ... "If" this collection contains only The Supremes' singles [["A" and "B" sides) from 1961-1969, you can see a listing at Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Supremes_discography

I want them to do the same for Stevie Wonder.

With that said, that still is a collection of about 60-ish songs, which is one of the biggest "straight" releases we've had in quite some time. "Gold" only had 40 tracks or so, the "Anthologies" have only had about 50 tracks or so.....

As usual, the excellent post-Ross recordings are omitted. I will not buy this one

smark21 Guest
    Will this also be available on itunes? Hopefully, then I'll be able to cherry pick some worthy b sides I don't already have.

It's called "Diana Ross & The Supremes 50th Anniversary"; what sense would the 70's stuff make being included here?
    Last edited by Jimi LaLumia; 08-24-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Smark21,

You can probably get them all on iTunes now. I just checked and the earliest ones, Never Again, Who's Loving You, [[He's) Seventeen, You Bring Back Memories, Time Chabges Things and even [[The Man with the) Rock and Roll Banjo Band are already on iTunes. I am certain the rest are there, also.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    As usual, the excellent post-Ross recordings are omitted. I will not buy this one
    Well, it's meant to be a singles collection, not a best-of. That also means...MONO!

But, as I already have the excellent 1995 comp and the two hitsville boxes, I don't need this one.

Isn't the 1997 SUPREMES ULTIMATE COLLECTION the actual "singles," too? I realize it doesn't include the B-sides, but my recollection is that this CD [[25 tracks) is only single versions, i.e., not album versions.

I am looking forward to the "packaging" for the 50th Anniversary set.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Isn't the 1997 SUPREMES ULTIMATE COLLECTION the actual "singles," too?
    The mastering is terrible, and it does not include everything.

I am looking forward to the "packaging" for the 50th Anniversary set
    Not important to me.

Then next year we will be told to hold our breath for the SUPREME SIDES-the reremastered number ones including THEIR B sides with never seen pics of their Scandanavian tour! Due tentatively in 2015 for $250--fans MUST buy this or else no more Supreme releases. So if you want the planned 2017 release of expanded Live at Talk of Town including never before heard version of Diana singing My Man to a mystery man you better shell out and buy this release!!! Im ambivalent.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Then next year we will be told to hold our breath for the SUPREME SIDES-the reremastered number ones including THEIR B sides with never seen pics of their Scandanavian tour! Due tentatively in 2015 for $250--fans MUST buy this or else no more Supreme releases. So if you want the planned 2017 release of expanded Live at Talk of Town including never before heard version of Diana singing My Man to a mystery man you better shell out and buy this release!!! Im ambivalent.
    Ok, we get it. Move on.

Relax dude--have some fun.

RossHolloway Guest
    Relax dude--have some fun.
    The griping and complaining has just gotten old and tired and really takes away the enjoyment from this site. Yes, we're all entitled to our opinions, but griping and snide remarks have just gotten old.

I thought Luke's post was funny!

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post

I thought Luke's post was funny too and so close to the truth. This is not a Diana Ross & Supremes fanclub, so griping and cynical, snarky comments are allowed and a way of letting off steam when Hip O/Universal dreams up ways to make fans buy Baby Love for the 1000th time. The only fans excited about this release are those who only buy Supremes releases. The Supremes...that's all they buy!
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 08-25-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Stop it Luke! LOL!!!!! oh LOL!!! ya killin' me here! hehehehehehe......

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post

I agree. It was extremely funny. I needed a good laugh in week with so much sad news and now that I have to get prepare for whatever "Hurricane Irene" may bring us. Thanks Luke!

Quote Originally Posted by Motown_M_1056 View Post
    I thought Luke's post was funny too and so close to the truth. This is not a Diana Ross & Supremes fanclub, so griping and cynical, snarky comments are allowed and a way of letting off steam when Hip O/Universal dreams up ways to make fans buy Baby Love for the 1000th time. The only fans excited about this release are those who only buy Supremes releases. The Supremes...that's all they buy!
    Maybe they could release "Baby Love" sung backwards to a Hip Hop/ Reggae beat with the steel drums and everything? LOL!

RossHolloway Guest
    Well every release isn't for everybody, no need to piss all over the announcement/thread with such snarky, negative comments [[and yes, I know, I'm speaking to a concrete wall). It's old, the jokes are old, the negativity is old and tired. If you don't want to buy this release, no one is holding a gun to your head to do so. Just move on to another thread already, or start a new thread that people might be interested in. No one's interested in the complaining and the same jokes about Baby Love being told and retold and retold. Move on.

[

If you think the suits at Universal aren't laughing at how many times they resell Baby Love, you are kidding yourself. Hip O is a big company, it can take a few shots about it's uninspired CD releases. If more Supremes fans stopped buying this crap, they'd think of something else, maybe something we really wanted. As long as they keep the same tired retreads coming, I'm pissing on them.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 08-25-2011 at 03:25 PM.

RossHolloway Guest
    ^^Spoken like a true 12 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    ^^Spoken like a true 12 year old.

Spoken like a true Motown fan who has faithfully supported Motown releases since 1961. If I bought the original vinyl singles, then the LP versions, then the cassettes and the reissued singles and albums in the 1980s, not to mention the CD reissues: [[Anthology, Gold, Ultimate Collection, boxed sets, The Complete Motown Singles, etc.)...how much more am I expected to spend on things I already have?
    Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's rain.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 08-25-2011 at 04:54 PM.

RossHolloway Guest
    Spoken like a true Motown fan who has faithfully supported Motown releases since 1961. If I bought the original vinyl singles, then the LP versions, then the cassettes and the reissued singles and albums in the 1980s, not to mention the CD reissues: [[Anthology, Gold, Ultimate Collection, boxed sets, The Complete Motown Singles, etc.)...how much more am I expected to spend on things I already have?
    Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's rain.
    I don't think Universal expects someone like you to run out and buy every Supreme's Greatest Hit's package that they put out on the market. Believe it or not, there are some people in the world who don't have a cd of the Supremes or the Temptation or the Jackson 5 or who ever. Well this release is for them not for someone who has been collecting for 50 years. How is that such a hard concept to understand and accept? And are you acting as if this is the only Motown relate release in 2011? There have been more than a handful of releases either thru Motown/Universal/HippoSelect or one of the other outlets like Kent/Soul, I know this [[and you should too) because I've bought many of them from The Contours, to Patrice Holloway, to 70's Supremes to Teena Marie and on and on and on. If we all collectively support these new releases then the record companies will keep releasing new music. Having a tantrum over Baby Love gets you no where and never will. Sounds to me like you're peeing on your own leg. Now be a big boy [[or girl), pull your pants up, wash your hands and go listen to some Motown.
    Last edited by RossHolloway; 08-25-2011 at 06:04 PM.

I don't think Universal expects someone like you to run out and buy every Supreme's Greatest Hit's package that they put out on the market. Believe it or not, there are some people in the world who don't have a cd of the Supremes or the Temptation or the Jackson 5 or who ever. Well this release is for them not for someone who has been collecting for 50 years. How is that such a hard concept to understand and accept? And are you acting as if this is the only Motown relate release in 2011? There have been more than a handful of releases either thru Motown/Universal/HippoSelect or one of the other outlets like Kent/Soul, I know this [[and you should too) because I've bought many of them from The Contours, to Patrice Holloway, to 70's Supremes to Teena Marie and on and on and on. If we all collectively support these new releases then the record companies will keep releasing new music. Having a tantrum over Baby Love gets you no where and never will. Sounds to me like its not me who's peeing on your leg, sounds to me like you doing it to yourself. Now be a big boy [[or girl), pull your pants up and go listen to some Motown.
    Lame excuses. There are people who don't own CDs by Diana Ross & the Supremes and they never will. They don't care. How long have fans been telling themselves if I spend $15.00 for another Supremes hits package for its packaging, Universal will keep releasing new music? i've got one Supremes Where is all of this new music? I've got one Supremes' Lost & Found set, but dozens of hits packages with baby Love on them that I don't even play. I'm gonna keep sniping at releases llike this because the suits at Universal/Hip O read the forum and they know I always keep it real.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 08-25-2011 at 06:29 PM.

stopinthenameoflove Guest

Just a quick correction. C--

I don't think Universal expects someone like you to run out and buy every Supreme's Greatest Hit's package that they put out on the market. Believe it or not, there are some people in the world who don't have a cd of the Supremes or the Temptation or the Jackson 5 or who ever. Well this release is for them not for someone who has been collecting for 50 years. How is that such a hard concept to understand and accept? And are you acting as if this is the only Motown relate release in 2011? There have been more than a handful of releases either thru Motown/Universal/HippoSelect or one of the other outlets like Kent/Soul, I know this [[and you should too) because I've bought many of them from The Contours, to Patrice Holloway, to 70's Supremes to Teena Marie and on and on and on. If we all collectively support these new releases then the record companies will keep releasing new music. Having a tantrum over Baby Love gets you no where and never will. Sounds to me like you're peeing on your own leg. Now be a big boy [[or girl), pull your pants up, wash your hands and go listen to some Motown.
    Hits, Temptations, whoever [[one word), Do not start a sentence with the word "and", related, it has just one 'p'. Pull your pants up, go wash your hands and go listen or even attend some basic grammar classes.

Strange - I posted in this thread today about the inclusion of UK Supremes & Temptations single releases but it has gone?

Wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by stopinthenameoflove View Post
    Hits, Temptations, whoever [[one word), Do not start a sentence with the word "and", related, it has just one 'p'. Pull your pants up, go wash your hands and go listen or even attend some basic grammar classes.
    Is this a joke, or someone just being rude? Do we really care about someone's grammar or spelling on a discussion board? I think it's time this whole thread got flushed. Come on guys.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Strange - I posted in this thread today about the inclusion of UK Supremes & Temptations single releases but it has gone?

Wonder why?
    I just wanted to take a moment to acknowledge your question. I also think including UK singles and/or alternate UK b-sides would be an interesting twist. I am curious about this new collection and hope a bit of creativity will strengthen the package.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Is this a joke, or someone just being rude? Do we really care about someone's grammar or spelling on a discussion board? I think it's time this whole thread got flushed. Come on guys.
    He [[stopinthenameoflove) is being totally rude on purpose. He is still suppose to be reporting me somewhere for something "bile" I said.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    He [[stopinthenameoflove) is being totally rude on purpose. He is still suppose to be reporting me somewhere for something "bile" I said.
    It's okay Marv2. I won't tell the Grammar Police I saw you.

uptight Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Maybe they could release "Baby Love" sung backwards to a Hip Hop/ Reggae beat with the steel drums and everything? LOL!
    I think they did a few years ago! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    It's okay Marv2. I won't tell the Grammar Police I saw you.
    Please dont' because I hear they can be tougher than the IRS!

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post

Wonder why?
    Because you posted it in the Supremes/Temptations 50th Anniversary thread, which is different from this one.

Thanks smark21 - must be loosing it!

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stopinthenameoflove View Post
    This is not a creative writing forum or english forum, this is a music forum. My post will not be turned in for a grade or submitted for publication. Do you go thru every threat and make correction to everyone's posts? Get a life troll.
    Last edited by RossHolloway; 08-26-2011 at 09:39 AM.

RossHolloway Guest
    Lame excuses. There are people who don't own CDs by Diana Ross & the Supremes and they never will. They don't care. How long have fans been telling themselves if I spend $15.00 for another Supremes hits package for its packaging, Universal will keep releasing new music? i've got one Supremes Where is all of this new music? I've got one Supremes' Lost & Found set, but dozens of hits packages with baby Love on them that I don't even play. I'm gonna keep sniping at releases llike this because the suits at Universal/Hip O read the forum and they know I always keep it real.
    I know it is pointless to keep responding to your tirades, but I'll give it another try. Believe it or not, there are some people here in the US and abroad who may still be in the market to buy their first Supremes cd [[or Temptation's cd or Jackson 5 cd...) and that is why Universal will make these releases for these artist. You do not have to buy them if you have no need or want for them. Period. There is no need to throw a tantrum everytime one is released. Universal does this roughly every two years or so. How could you not have noticed? And I don't know if you've noticed this or not but Diana Ross and the Supremes broke up 41 and a half years ago!! They aren't still making new music! Move on man. Universal/Motown has been very good and kind to us Motown/Supreme's fans over the past 25 years with ALL the VARIOUS releases that go WAY beyond the greatest hits packages, so I really just don't understand why you keep beefin on the GHs sets. Let it go. As I stated before those releases aren't meant for a collector/listener like you or me but new fans to the music. Sniping won't change a thing, they won't get new releases out any faster than the music company intends to release them, it only serves to annoy and irritate the other fans on this board. And I'm sure at this point in time the "suits" at Universal/Hippo could give a rats arse about all your complaining and pissin on this board. Just let it go and support the new releases that have come out this year and the ones that are scheduled to come out later this year.

rossholloway- lets get real. The MAIN reason why some are so cranky about this is because its a release by DIANA ROSS and the supremes. I dont recall reading anything negative regarding the 70's boxset that was recently released. Some actually have voiced the fact that they wont buy this because there are no 70's hits on this compilation. HUH???? Thats like me invading a thread about the 70's boxset and say that release is a waste of time, where are all of their classic hits with Diana Ross? They would have run me out of that thread so fast for saying something so dumb. I've noticed over the years the people [[ and there are repeat offenders) who love to put Diana/Supreme fans in a "crazy box". What is really telling is that these same people who criticize ross/sups fans are even crazier with their obssession of all things DIANA. There is no reason why people ALWAYS have to comment on how they aren't interested in her, them, the music but yet they comment all the damn time. At this point is actually kind of funny. The funniest thing I've seen here are the post that always start out with "I'm a really big Diana Ross fans BUT. What is the point??? Then there are some here who have a condensending attitude like you MUST love the WHOLE motown label. It is a crime to just be a fan on one or two artist on that label? I say like what the fvck you like and let everyone else like what they like. I don't understand folks that just like to point out what they don't like all them time. We all have different taste. If I don't have interest in some geeky boring conversion about snares and distortions, and compressions, I would NEVER insult a person that does. But that's just me.
    Last edited by skooldem1; 08-26-2011 at 10:05 AM.