[REMOVE ADS]

Charges Against Strauss Kahn Dropped

Legally, this wasn't going to make it.......so they dropped the charges.

But what about the morals of it? Is she a cheap bimbo? Is he a fool playing with a cheap bimbo?

New York [[CNN) -- A New York judge dismissed sexual assault charges against former International Monetary Fund chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn at the prosecutor's request Tuesday.

A grand jury indicted Strauss-Kahn in May over allegations he sexually assaulted hotel housekeeper Nafissatou Diallo in his New York hotel suite.

But in July, prosecutors began to back off the case, asking Judge Michael Obus to release Strauss-Kahn from house arrest after information surfaced that they said called Diallo's credibility into question.

On Monday, prosecutors asked Obus to dismiss the charges entirely, while Diallo's attorney filed a motion asking that Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance be disqualified from the case and that a special prosecutor be appointed.

Obus rejected the request from Diallo's attorneys and then, at a hearing Tuesday morning, approved the request to dismiss charges.

Strauss-Kahn charges to be dropped

Strauss-Kahn accuser speaks out
    RELATED TOPICS
    Nafissatou Diallo
    Dominique Strauss-Kahn
    Sexual Offenses
    He had stayed implementation of the order to give Diallo's attorneys time to appeal his decision on the special prosecutor. The New York Supreme Court rejected the appeal Tuesday afternoon, according to court attorney Lauren Holmes.

Diallo's attorney, Kenneth Thompson, decried the decision.

"District Attorney Vance has abandoned an innocent woman and has denied an innocent woman a chance to get justice in a rape case," he said.

Vance, in a news release Tuesday, said prosecutors had no choice because they were "not persuaded -- beyond a reasonable doubt -- that a crime has been committed, based on the evidence we have."

He said Diallo's testimony "was fatally damaged, for several key reasons."

In a statement, Strauss-Kahn -- who has always denied the charges -- thanked his attorneys and Obus for his decision.

"These past two and a half months have been a nightmare for me and my family," he said, adding that he was "obviously gratified that the district attorney agreed with my lawyers that this case had to be dismissed."

Later, speaking to reporters outside his house, he said, "I am thankful for my wife, my children, my friends, and those who supported me during this period. I look forward to returning to my country, but I still have some things to do before I leave. I will explain more fully when I return."

Strauss-Kahn's attorneys said in a statement Monday after prosecutors filed their request that it vindicated their consistent claim that their client is innocent.

"Mr. Strauss-Kahn and his family are grateful that the district attorney's office took our concerns seriously and concluded on its own that this case cannot proceed further," attorneys William W. Taylor and Benjamin Brafman said in a statement.

In a Paris news conference before the hearing, one of Diallo's attorneys said dismissing the charges would be a travesty.

"For the district attorney to now dismiss this case or seek to dismiss this case and turn his back on this victim because of so-called credibility issues is an affront not only on Ms. Diallo but an affront on all victims and sexual victims who come forward in the future," attorney Douglas Wigdor said.

Prosecutors filed a "recommendation for dismissal" in the case Monday, noting more questions about Diallo's credibility.

"The nature and number of the complainant's falsehoods leave us unable to credit her version of events beyond a reasonable doubt, whatever the truth may be about the encounter between the complainant and the defendant," the document states. "If we do not believe her beyond a reasonable doubt, we cannot ask a jury to do so."

Prosecutors voiced concern that the case appeared to rest exclusively on the housekeeper's account, predicting her "falsehoods" would be "devastating" if revealed during a trial. They claim she "has not been truthful in matters great and small," including lying about a "gang rape, as well as other details about her life in [[her native) Guinea."

Diallo lied about the specifics of her whereabouts after the incident and past details of an asylum application and information on tax forms, prosecutors said.

She also admitted lying on the asylum application about having been a victim of a gang rape, even providing details of an attack and later admitting it never happened, according to prosecutors.

In their court filing, prosecutors said that DNA testing indicated semen on her dress matched Strauss-Kahn and shows there was a sexual encounter. There was "no trauma to her body or oral cavity" and "scrapings from underneath her fingernails ... yielded no results."

Moreover, prosecutors claim Diallo's current story of her "prompt outcry to her first supervisor is inconsistent with certain aspects of that supervisor's account."

"All of the evidence that might be relevant to the contested issues of force and lack of consent is simply inconclusive," wrote the prosecutors.

Thompson said Strauss-Kahn's power and prestige played a role in the outcome of the case, saying prosecutors would not "run from DNA evidence" if Strauss-Kahn "was a plumber."

In Paris before the hearing, Wigdor disputed almost every aspect of the prosecution's claim, saying a medical examination following the alleged rape showed bruises on Diallo's vagina and that she suffered a "tear" on her shoulder and rips in her stockings.

A "mountain of physical evidence" points toward a violent sexual assault during a nine-minute period inside Strauss-Kahn's New York hotel suite in May, Wigdor told reporters in France, where he is gathering evidence for a civil lawsuit against the French citizen and onetime contender for that nation's presidency.

Diallo quickly reported the incident to five co-workers and was visibly upset after the incident, shaken up, spitting and nearly vomiting, Wigdor said.

He rejected explanations by Strauss-Kahn's attorneys that any sexual encounter that may have occurred was consensual, questioning how he could persuade a woman he had never met before to have sex during a nine-minute encounter.

"There is no other plausible explanation" but sexual assault, Wigdor said.

A crowd of protesters gathered near the courtroom in New York in support of Diallo, carrying handwritten signs reading "No impunity 4 rapists in power" and "Nafissatou we believe you," among other things.

In Tuesday's news release, Vance said, "As prosecutors, we don't work in a world where we expect or require perfect witnesses. The tens of thousands of victims who come to our office each year come from varied and often difficult circumstances, and sometimes with imperfect pasts. If we are convinced they are truthful about the crimes committed against them, and will tell the truth at trial, we will ask a jury to consider their testimony to prove a crime. If we are not convinced, we cannot, should not and do not take the case to a jury."

He asserted that "seeking justice for sex crimes victims, and protecting immigrants, are among the highest priorities in this office," but "we have to judge each case by its own unique set of facts."

Attorneys for Diallo said claims that Diallo told a friend in prison that she was going to cash in on the incident were untrue and accused the district attorney's office of treating Diallo like a criminal defendant and not an alleged victim.

In their now-rejected motion to have Vance removed from the case, Diallo's attorney cited allegations of "abuse of confidence, unfair treatment and bias and prejudices" by Vance that they say disqualify him from the case.

"Are we telling [[sexual assault victims) that if they dare to name a powerful, politically connected man as their abuser, they will see their whole life laid out to be judged publicly?" asked New York City Councilwoman Letitia James. "What does it take for a low-income immigrant -- a woman of color -- to publicly name one of the most powerful men in Europe as a sexual abuser?"

CNN senior legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin said before the hearing that Strauss-Kahn should now be able to breathe easier and "return to some semblance of his former life." But he said that no one involved in the case "comes out of it looking very good."

"This is a case that looks like it has nothing but losers -- the alleged victim, the defendant, and the prosecutor," Toobin said. "The conclusion is likely to be entirely satisfying to no one."

We may never know the truth.

This guy is obviously a sexual predator [[and a dirty old man). He hit the jackpot by sexually abusing a young woman with a few issues of her own, true, created by her desire to remain in this country. I believe her and hope she gets a few million in a civil suit [[a drop in the bucket to this scumbag).

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    This guy is obviously a sexual predator [[and a dirty old man). He hit the jackpot by sexually abusing a young woman with a few issues of her own, true, created by her desire to remain in this country. I believe her and hope she gets a few million in a civil suit [[a drop in the bucket to this scumbag).
    I agree. The case shows that justice system is different for the rich than it is for the poor.

So he says.....as my Dad used to say....."I'll take my pants and go home now".

It was a set up, pure and simple. He could have phoned down for whatever he wanted. They decided they wanted another head of the monetary fund, so they stiffed him. If it was any more obvious, you'd think he was Julian Assange.

Quote Originally Posted by bankhousedave View Post
    It was a set up, pure and simple. He could have phoned down for whatever he wanted. They decided they wanted another head of the monetary fund, so they stiffed him. If it was any more obvious, you'd think he was Julian Assange.
    Come on Dave. This guy has a history of predatory behavior towards women that goes back to further than when we were all on the Gold Standard. So what...they replace one IMF hack with another. So I suppose the concierge at the Softel is actually a CIA agent or Interpol???I think the only conspiracy here is the one going on in your head...but I still love ya...

By the way...he DID phone down [[trying to shag the REAL concierge) and got TD'd...that's bank talk for TURNED DOWN...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 09-04-2011 at 07:17 PM.

Good to hear from you Stu. I was staying in a five star hotel a while back and there was a knock on my room door. I opened it to a couple of chambermaids who asked, 'Can we turn you down, sir?' I replied, 'I can get that anywhere.'

Quote Originally Posted by bankhousedave View Post
    Good to hear from you Stu. I was staying in a five star hotel a while back and there was a knock on my room door. I opened it to a couple of chambermaids who asked, 'Can we turn you down, sir?' I replied, 'I can get that anywhere.'
    LOL...

I think there are women who do virtually the same thing at Motel 6...

Anyone think that this was planned to ensure that the guy couldn't run in the election? They used his reputation against him.

No doubt in my conspiratorial mind, Soulster. Sarkozy, for one, wanted to see the back of him. If 'everyone' knew he was a sexual predator [[whatever that is), how come somebody from the all-powerful and no-consequences-apply International Money Fuckup suddenly gets caught out when he's going to be standing against the Mad Monsieur? It's soap opera storylining at its weakest.

Shaking my head.........what an entirely sordid affair. In line with Patti Labelle for sludge of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Anyone think that this was planned to ensure that the guy couldn't run in the election? They used his reputation against him.
    Yeah it looked like a set up to me too. They used his weakness against him. Why didn't the woman run and report it immediately? Why would he hang out and then take off for JFK when it became clear that he would be arrested?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Shaking my head.........what an entirely sordid affair. In line with Patti Labelle for sludge of the year.

Nah leave Patti out of this because we all know that diana ross is no better. If you want to vote for sludge of the year, then check out the story in the thread here in the Club House called "Murder In Mississippi"!

It always kind of shaky when a female brings charges against someone who is rich, because there is always room for a hidden agenda or a get rich quick scheme

Pronunciacion

I think part of the real downfall for the lady here was that she "dilly dallied" after the alleged "dalliance" and consulted a few people including I believe a lawyer and some friends and ONLY THEN, a few hours later, became wounded and dishevelled. Prior to that she appears to have been more Monica like playful as in "let's make sure some gets on my dress" instead of keeping it all clean and inside.