[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

R.I.P Nick Ashford :[[

Oh I'm so sad. How I love Ashford and Simpson, didn't know he was sick. God bless Val

dianesfan_1965 Guest
    So very sad.

uptight Guest
    Rest in peace, Mr. Ashford. You left the world a wonderful legacy of musical achievements.

Goodness me. I had no idea he was ill. May he be with the Lord now and may the good Lord comfort Miss Valerie Simpson during this sad time.

RIP to a true brother and husband......

Rest in peace, Nick. Such sad news

Sad news....

A loss of another musical legend! R.I.P., Nick!

Here's a list of songs the husband wife duo wrote, arranged, and/or produced. The list is by no means complete.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...rd_%26_Simpson

I just got the news from the NY Post
    Wow...dang and yeah I am just without words.
    May the family find comfort and peace.

So sorry to hear this - Praying for his family & friends. God's comfort & strength.

Just heard this over the radio here in N.Y.
    I don't know what to say......................
    My heart goes out to Val and the children.
    R.I.P. and Thank You so much Nick Ashford.

Wow... a sad day, indeed. Thanks Nick... & Rest in Peace.

Valerie, if you ever read this know that you & Nick are in the prayers of so many that you have touched. God Bless...

Rest In Peace Nick. Thank you for the music. Prayers for Valerie and family. So sad.

Very sad indeed! He & Val wrote some of my all-time favorites. My thoughts are with Valerie and his family! R.I.P Nick and Jerry Leiber who also wrote his fair share of classics I've admired since childhood.

Old "Ypsilanti Nick"! What we use to call him because of his hometown. He really made an impact on our musical and cultural heritage. As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I immediately heard "Don't Cost Ya Nothing" one of his and Val's popular songs from the 70's. I will always remember the first time I saw them in concert in 1977, what a show!

My earliest memory of hearing Nick and Val's work was the Ray Charles recording of "Let's Go Get Stone". My dad loved that record and played it over and over when it was new. I never knew what the lyrics meant at the time as I was only a kid.
    Thanks Nick, God Bless You and Rest your soul.

Marv

This is a shock. I was not expecting this...how very sad...

Rest in peace, Nick...thanks for the music

It's so sad to say goodbye to such an incredible talent. So many wonderful songs, at a time like this, this is the most appropriate of their songs to listen to, I think:

WOW this is a complete shock. My thoughts go out to Val the girls and the rest of Nicks loved ones. May He R.I.P.

no wind, no rain, or winter's cold will let us forget you, nick! rip

Rest in peace while the world enjoys your music forever! May Valerie and family find comfort in knowing how much you were loved by fans who never met you.

Celebrity News
    [[CNN) -- Nickolas Ashford, one-half of the successful Motown singer-songwriter duo of Ashford and Simpson, died Monday afternoon, his longtime former publicist said.

Liz Rosenberg, who in addition to having been their publicist described herself as a close friend of Ashford and his wife Valerie Simpson, said she was "heartbroken" to hear of Ashford's death.

"He was a true king," she said. "I loved him very much."

Ashford had been battling and was being treated for throat cancer, and Rosenberg said she believed his death "was quite sudden." His wife and children were at his bedside when he died, she said.

He was 69, reported imdb.com and numerous other sources.

According to their MySpace page, Ashford and Simpson met in 1964 in New York City. Within two years, as songwriters with Scepter Songwriters, they scored their first hit with Ray Charles' "Let's Go Get Stoned."

The couple then joined Motown Records, where they wrote a host of popular songs for the likes of Marvin Gaye, Tammi Terrell and Diana Ross including "Ain't No Mountain High Enough," "Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing" and "Reach Out and Touch [[Somebody's Hand)." Later in their careers, their songwriting credits included Chaka Khan's "I'm Every Woman."

In the '70s, Ashford and Simpson went from songwriters to performers, releasing nine albums for Motown, Warner Brothers Records [[like CNN, a division of Time Warner) and Capitol Records between 1973 and 1984. Their biggest hit during that time was the song "Solid [[As a Rock)."

On stage, Ashford typically sported long curly hair, a goatee and a knack for hitting high notes.

In 1996, he established the Sugar Bar, a restaurant and live entertainment venue in Manhattan's Upper West Side. According to its website, the bar showcases soul, jazz, Caribbean, African and other types of music and has been visited by numerous guests over the years such as Bruce Willis, Stevie Wonder, Maya Angelou and others.

The Songwriters Hall of Fame inducted Ashford and his wife in 2002, calling them "one of the most prolific and versatile musical couples in recording history."

I read about this. I'm very sorry to hear of his passing.

I just heard the bad news on the radio. It's a sad day.

So many mornings these days we wake up to hear sad news of those who have Inspired us and brought us much Joy with their music have left us to Go Home! and that was deffitnely the case with Nick Ashford today, both his writing talents with Dear Wife Valerie and their talents are artists. Rest in Peace Nick and sincerest condolences to Valerie and their Family.

As with others, there are no words. My condolences to Valerie and the family and may Ashford RIP. Sad loss.

Lorraine Chandler

Sad news, MR. ASHFORD is one of the great,singer song writers of our time,what a team,him and his wife VALERIE SIMPSON were,my heart goes out to his wife VAL,and his FAMILY,R.I.P my brother.

This saddend me as well. My mom played their records all the time in the early 80's, that's why I love Ashford and Simpson soo much! Who would have thought I'd be jamming to them in my adult years as well. I loved them as a couple, true love and devotion! Does anyone know that Val met Ashford at her church? he was homeless and living in her church at the time they met.

Unhappy

Jill, that is a very nice song to play today. Thank you for doing that. I hope Nick rests in peace. His music, along with Valerie of course, has brought so many so much joy over the years. I just can't believe we are losing another one. There is a lot of fighting here on who is the best or real or whatever. We just need to love our Motown family as they won't be with us forever. I also thought Roberta had a nice message.

Penny

^ Beautifully said Penny!

Take what you need to make each day sweet
    But then just like the grains of wheat
    When it's over, you've got to throw it to the fans of the windmill

Send it, send it
    Just like it came to me, I'm gonna set it free

Send it, send it
    You've got to let it go, open up the window

Send a little love, send a little care, it reaches everywhere

RIP Mr. Ashford, thank you for so much good music.

A sad loss, especially for his family, but what a fantastic legacy for generations to come.

So So sad..RIP..Your wonderful lyrics and Vals musical artistry combined will go on forever..Paulo xxx

This was shocking news when I heard it this morning [[or last night). Val stay strong you two created some of the greatest music to come out of Motown. RIP Nick you guys had it going on.

smark21 Guest
    He was quite a songwriter; he and Valerie Simpson are one of the finest songwriting teams in the history of American Popular Music. Here's one of my faves by them:

I dont care what anyone says the Ross voice was at its best with Nick and Val! Her voice was pushed and she always sounded better when she was dramatic as a solo. Even custesy pie stuff like the Boss with their orchestrations were dynamic. Michael Masser and Ashford and Simpson gave her the best solo material she ever had. Nick thanks for the music.

I'd hardly call The Boss custesy pie stuff.

Did Nick ever record a solo album?

uptight Guest
    Rod_Rick, he had a few solo singles in the 60s. I've seen at least one of them on CD recently.

http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/1...tml?1193603052
    Last edited by uptight; 08-24-2011 at 02:55 AM.

This is a sad loss to music. Nick Ashford was a powerful force in songwriting. His collaboration with Valerie Simpson was one of those 'chance' encounters that changes the world. We listeners and admirers can only thank him for conveying emotions and thoughts we often didn't even know we had.

Sympathies to Valerie and friends. RIP NIckolas Ashford.

smark21 Guest
    Last night there a tribute paid to Nick Ashford at Sugar Bar in NYC.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-bar/?ref=arts

Does anyone know if Nick Ashford's homecoming service got postponed because of the Irene hurricane?

http://raketler.angelfire.com/

Because of Hurricane Irene, the funeral for Nickolas Ashford has been rescheduled.
    With Hurricane Irene due to wreak havoc all along the East Coast and New York City, the services will now be held this Monday, August 29 at 6:30 p.m at:
    Abyssinian Baptist Church
    132 Odell Clark Place
    [[W 138th St & Lenox Ave.)
    New York, NY 10030
    The repast will follow at the Sugar Bar [[254 W 72nd St, NYC) the venue owned by Nick and his wife, partner and now widow, Valerie Simpson.
    For further information call [[212) 579-0222

Unhappy

I hope someone from here can attend and report back to us. This is all very sad.

Penny

ladonna Guest
    An emotional Valerie Simpson, one half of the famous motown songwriting duo Ashford & Simpson leaves the funeral service for Nick Ashford, at the Abyssinian Baptist Church in Harlem, Monday Evening, August 29. The crowd backs off as she comes out of the church. She raises her right hand. People understand and everyone stays silent until she enters her car.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ladonna; 08-31-2011 at 07:34 AM.

Ladonna, thank you for this picture. I also thanked you on another thread but wanted to make sure you knew how much this means to so many of us who couldn't be there. I am sure it was a beautiful service.

Penny

ladonna Guest
    You're welcome, Penny; I posted it to all the Nick Ashford threads; I thought everyone would be interested. I like the part where when she put her hand up, the crowd fell in and gave her her respect.

Quote Originally Posted by ladonna View Post
    An emotional Valerie Simpson, one half of the famous motown songwriting duo Ashford & Simpson leaves the funeral service for Nick Ashford, at the Abyssinian Baptist Church in Harlem, Monday Evening, August 29. The crowd backs off as she comes out of the church. She raises her right hand. People understand and everyone stays silent until she enters her car.
    I see such pain and also such strength in her regal face. May the good Lord bless and protect her during this sad time.

Roberta

Thanks for the photo, it brings such sadness to see Valerie in this way, may she find comfort and strength in the coming day, God Bless Her and The Family.

I know I have not been watching a lot of TV this week and I am shocked [[unless I missed something) that there has not been a big tribute to Nick Ashford.