[REMOVE ADS]

Attention Harry Weinger & Keith Hughes-"Day Dreamer" by Eddie Holland-never released?

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  21.1 KB
    I've just heard a fantastic cut by Eddie Holland from June, 1962, with a super instrumental track by The Funk Brothers and great back-up singing by The Vandellas [[I think), which I believe has never been released. It is titled "Day Dreamer". Someone owning an acetate of it has uploaded it on You-Tube.

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLQKR...eature=related

It needs to be released on the next "Cellarful of Motown". It should be saved for posterity. It sounds very "modern" for a 1962 recording. The Funk Brothers' instrumental sounds like 1963, and could even hold up well with much Motown's 1964 output. I think this is one of Eddies very best recordings.

By the way, ....... the tune has an eerie similarity to Detroit's 1963 Hi-Lite Records' release, "You're My Leading Lady" by Tommy Frontera. It sounds like, Dorothy Pierce [[its credited writer) heard "Day dreamer" first, and copied that melody, and put different words to it.

I don't know how we missed coming across this tune when perusing The Motown Vaults in the 1970s for unreleased music release projects [[such as "From The Vaults"). It's absolutely amazing that I can still have the great pleasure of hearing "NEW" 1962-65 Motown music more than 45 years after the fact!!!

Nice cut! We really need an Eddie Holland Anthology. He's been overlooked for far too long, especially considering how important he was in so many ways to the company.

Unlikey that this will appear on any new Cellarful release for various reasons....

You mean Universal doesnt want to carry on with these releases maybe?? Paulo xxx

It is a Great track. Very worthy of release. A lot more people need to hear this..Paulo xxx

Views: 1128
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Unlikey that this will appear on any new Cellarful release for various reasons....
    I don't think that great Motown recordings should be lost just because they are too "old". There are still cuts by The Creations, Edward Earling, Mickey McCullers, this cut and others from 1959-1964 that should be heard. Maybe Ace/Kent should release a Motown "Lost Older Sounds". I think this one will be on an Eddie Holland Anthology, perhaps in The Satintones' format.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 1128

I don't think that great Motown recordings should be lost just because they are too "old". There are still cuts by The Creations, Edward Earling, Mickey McCullers, this cut and others from 1959-1964 that should be heard. Maybe Ace/Kent should release a Motown "Lost Older Sounds". I think this one will be on an Eddie Holland Anthology, perhaps in The Satintones' format.
    You mean, there is going to be a Holland Anthology? Please say yes!

Judging from the instrumentation, cha-cha style beat and backing vocals, this sounds like it was recorded around the same time as "Stubborn Kind Of Fellow" by Marvin Gaye.
    As a side note, I'm so glad that the Martha and the Vandellas were able to step out front and have a wonderful career over the years, but I would have loved it if they continued doing the backing vocals for all of the Motown artists. This said with all due respect to the Andantes. I just prefer the Vandellas sound.

uptight Guest
    Yeah, it did sound like a couple of Vandellas in there. And maybe a couple of Andantes, too.

Views: 989
    I'm bumping this thread up so that either Keith or Harry can see it.

I see it, Robb. And thank you. As ever, watch this space!

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Such a tease!

Views: 961
    Thanks, Keith. Can we look forward to it being released on one CD or another [[so it won't be lost to posterity)?

Sounds rather sad.....does it mean what I think it does?

Views: 938
    Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Sounds rather sad.....does it mean what I think it does?
    What sounds sad? Eddie's song? Or Paul's comment that it won't come out on "Cellarful"?

Paul's comment.........doesn't sound promising re more CFOM issues...or am I reading too much into it?

...Keith's comment sounded more promising Snake ...!

Grape,

I just had a look..... Do we know what's really happening...?

I'm waiting for Ivy Jo too.

I wasn't meaning to tease, Kenneth, just flagging to Robb and others that I'd seen the thread.

You know how it is, 'cos I've said it before. I'm just an independent consultant who's lucky enough to work on Motown projects from time to time, and it's not for me to reveal my clients' release plans unless they say I can. They know I post to this forum, I ask them "is it OK for me to announce project X on SDF?", and they say either "Go ahead" or "Not yet".

When I do write that a CD's going to be released on such-and-such a date, it usually happens, doesn't it? I'd like to maintain a clean record! This isn't a tease either: I am working on a number of Motown projects at the moment, and some are well-advanced. I shall be astonished if none of them comes out! So I think there's much to look forward to, and I will be more specific as soon as I'm allowed to be.

A smiley face to you all.

I wasn't meaning to tease, Kenneth, just flagging to Robb and others that I'd seen the thread.

You know how it is, 'cos I've said it before. I'm just an independent consultant who's lucky enough to work on Motown projects from time to time, and it's not for me to reveal my clients' release plans unless they say I can. They know I post to this forum, I ask them "is it OK for me to announce project X on SDF?", and they say either "Go ahead" or "Not yet".

When I do write that a CD's going to be released on such-and-such a date, it usually happens, doesn't it? I'd like to maintain a clean record! This isn't a tease either: I am working on a number of Motown projects at the moment, and some are well-advanced. I shall be astonished if none of them comes out! So I think there's much to look forward to, and I will be more specific as soon as I'm allowed to be.

A smiley face to you all.
    I know! It was said in fun, believe me. I [[almost) always succeed in avoiding being sarcastic. I guess I failed that time.

I'm a huge fan of the projects you've been involved with and never get tired of discovering rare material from my favorite label. Keep up the great work!

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Paul's comment.........doesn't sound promising re more CFOM issues...or am I reading too much into it?
    Far too much Snakes.....!

Good Man .........

Views: 846
    Quote Originally Posted by fatmaninthethirdrow View Post
    Far too much Snakes.....!
    Good to hear!

It is indeed a wonderful record....

I seem to recall John Lester & I saw this in a record shop in London many many years ago but it had a hefty price tag so we moved on

Ady Croasdell acquired it and made it a 100 Club anthem. The very same acetate ended up with me some years later and does actually look like the one pictured on YouTube. The copy I had was sold on and I just cannot recall where it went to.... possibly to the USA

Interestingly this track has surfaced on a couple of 7" acetates as well ... unusual to have such things surface via more than one copy

Andy

Andy
    hello
    ...still have all those wonderful C-90s you made me all those years ago.....
    Trying to find time to convert to CDs..
    Larry Manchester

I'd love to see a legitimate Eddie Holland release, Ace/Kent-style. Oh please! That is a great song, my favorite type of Motown sound. Thanks for bringing it to my attention Robb.

Oldies

Views: 809
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rix View Post
    It is indeed a wonderful record....
    Interestingly this track has surfaced on a couple of 7" acetates as well ... unusual to have such things surface via more than one copy

Andy
    I have seen several acetates with multiple songs on them [[mainly 10inch or 12 inch), which had multiple cuts on them also have one or more of those cuts appear alone on another acetate. Of course, we all know that both Motown Records Corp. and Jobete Music Co. made acetates. Many cuts were on acetates from both companies. But, I know that you know that well, so are you talking about something else here that I'm not understanding correctly?
    Last edited by robb_k; 09-01-2011 at 08:04 PM.

Wow, the sound quality is AMAZING considering the age and the fact that it's recorded from acetate. Thank you so much for sharing this gem!!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 809

I have seen several acetates with multiple songs on them [[mainly 10inch or 12 inch), which had multiple cuts on them also have one or more of those cuts appear alone on another acetate. Of course, we all know that both Motown Records Corp. and Jobete Music Co. made acetates. Many cuts were on acetates from both companies. But, I know that you know that well, so are you talking about something else here that I'm not understanding correctly?

I simply meant that it is very unusual for 3 or 4 acetates of the same song to turn up .. we're lucky to locate 1 copy

andy

Hi Robb!

I am looking for some information about Dorothy Pierce & Tommy Frontera, and I keep seeming to come up empty. If you shoot me an email at jacob.nathan@fervor-records.com perhaps we could discuss?

Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fervorrecords View Post
    Hi Robb!

I am looking for some information about Dorothy Pierce & Tommy Frontera, and I keep seeming to come up empty. If you shoot me an email at jacob.nathan@fervor-records.com perhaps we could discuss?

Many thanks!
    Folks,

I'm somewhat confused by this thread as Eddie's "Day Dreamer" has been released legitimately on this wonderful Eddie Holland 2 CD set courtesy of Keith and the other good folks at Ace/Kent:-

http://www.acerecords.co.uk/it-moves...ings-1958-1964

Ivor

Ivor,

Perhaps the 'It Moves Me' set was released after this thread was started...as all but the two most recent posts [[prior to this one) were made 5 years ago...?

With absolutely no disrespect to Harry or Andy, I believe that their days of reponding to CD or downloadable release questions have long since passed. They are "employees," and obviously cannot speak for the overall "corporation" -- whatever it is now named. The fact that A GO GO and ROSS 76 have been "on hold' for ages tells us something about the philosophy of the "organization." My remarks are in no was shading Andy and Harry. When you are an employee, you have to follow the company's guidelines.

Andy and Harry have both done a wonderful job. Personally I am so thankful for what they have achieved over the years. Now ACE have the mantle on much of the unreleased stuff and other companies bring us great things too - Culture Factory, BBr, Soul Music Records, Elemental, Real Gone and so forth. Universal are able to receive revenue for the licenses but not carry the risk whilst [[presumably) also making vast sums from downloads. Makes sense?

This thread is weird [[if you don't mind me saying so!). As someone said, we put out "Day Dreamer" on the EH comp back in 2012.

Where we [[slightly) boobed on that issue was in the version of "Welcome Back" we included. That was NOT the version that was bootlegged on cassette back in the 80s, and a few people wrote in and said "Huh", or words to that effect.

We now have that much-loved version to hand, and will try to include it in a future volume of "Motown Guys", should such a thing ever reach the Ace release schedule. But other projects are in the pipeline ahead of that ...

/k
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 05-25-2016 at 06:56 PM.