[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    The WOMACK is the most f***** up black musical family!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dvus7 View Post
    The WOMACK is the most f***** up black musical family!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thats a pretty strong statement to be making especially if you don't personally know the individuals.

why would they sign artists that they had no intention of supporting? ..typical record label voodoo..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    why would they sign artists that they had no intention of supporting? ..typical record label voodoo..
    alot of times it would be good business sense, if you notice even the 3rd tier artists were better then alot of the non-Motown acts out there esp. when you saw them LIVE so sometimes I think acts would be signed so they would not be competition or would be controlled competition to whoever was being promoted.

Most labels could only support five hitmaking acts at one time. The other artists were lined-up and waiting their turn
    or their slot, but record labels could also use those non-hit releases as tax write-offs.

I like Kim Weston but I always knew she didnt have the commercial thing Berry was looking for. Ross and Wells had it. When Mickey Stevenson took Kim away I thought she would be a bigger star but it seems most of the Motown artists withought the machine behind then never recovered. Exceptions being the Isleys, Gladys and the Pips, and in later years the Four Tops.

The Spinners became one of the biggest acts of the 70's the moment that they left Motown..

Sorry Jim I forgot about the Spinners you are correct.

One half of Stoney & Meatloaf also did quite well upon leaving the label..another one of the 70's biggest recording stars..

The music business had changed quite a bit by the early '70s. Motown had moved to L.A. and things had changed.