[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Funny thing is everytime I watch a show that discusses the history of Motown, or read an article or book, the Marvelettes and that song, are always mentioned.
    Skooldem, they have to mention it for historical accuracy. However not everyone has had the opportunity to read "that chapter" in Motown history. So many people don't take the time to read. You know what I'm saying.....

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Motown 25 was over 28 years ago. No offense but isn't it time to move on Stephanie?
    Nah, it ain't time yet! Move on to where? There is nothing really happening with todays music anyway. This is what we do here. We discuss the greatest period of Pop & Soul music.

if something like the internet existed in the 60's, Mr.Gordy wouldn't have been able to pull the s,,stuff that he pulled without being called on it..
    the absence of social media didn't allow us to call 'foul' back then...
    so I'll call it NOW!

Ladonna,
    I agree black history is more important but Motown is a part of black history but YES to your question. Let me give you an example of how people feel about this the second one may shock you. I interviewed Earl Young who was the main drummer on a lot of hits written by Gamble and Huff. We have spoken many times and do you know what his one wish is? To be recognized in the RRHOF as a sideman. More than anything that is his one wish so his daughter will remember his legacy.

Second one - Joey Levine who was the lead singer on bubblegum hits like 1310 Fruitgum Company and others did an interview in a magazine and claimed that he sang lead on something and Ron Dante [[lead voice of the Archies ..Sugar Sugar)
    saw the article and got upset. He called Joey up and said to him "You are successful now you could have at least given me credit for singing lead on that song". Here I am thinking to myself this man is in his 50s - 60s now what does he care if someone thinks Joey Levine sang lead on some song but it was important to him! When I saw that it got me to thinking how important Motown music was to me and the history. I could care less who sang on Edison LightHouse songs or the 1910 Fruitgum company but guess what...one of the members of the 1910 Fruitgum company found some blog and said he wanted to take the time to correct incorrect information that is on the net about the group. This was some bubblegum site I found a few years ago by accident. If this had been Motown or Stax I would have been more interested but hey there are bubblegummers out there who are passionate about 1910 Fruitgum Company, Kasenetz-Katz Orchestral Circus and Edison Lighthouse and all of these studio concotions. By the way he was dispelling the rumors that they were not a real band.
    I think us Motown fans are not as bad as Judy Garland fans those people will kill for their queen....LOL

This historical stuff is important to them not matter what the genre!

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Ladonna,
    ...Second one - Joey Levine who was the lead singer on bubblegum hits like 1310 Fruitgum Company and others did an interview in a magazine and claimed that he sang lead on something and Ron Dante [[lead voice of the Archies ..Sugar Sugar)
    saw the article and got upset. He called Joey up and said to him "You are successful now you could have at least given me credit for singing lead on that song". Here I am thinking to myself this man is in his 50s - 60s now what does he care if someone thinks Joey Levine sang lead on some song but it was important to him! When I saw that it got me to thinking how important Motown music was to me and the history. I could care less who sang on Edison LightHouse songs or the 1910 Fruitgum company but guess what...one of the members of the 1910 Fruitgum company found some blog and said he wanted to take the time to correct incorrect information that is on the net about the group. This was some bubblegum site I found a few years ago by accident. If this had been Motown or Stax I would have been more interested but hey there are bubblegummers out there who are passionate about 1910 Fruitgum Company, Kasenetz-Katz Orchestral Circus and Edison Lighthouse and all of these studio concotions. By the way he was dispelling the rumors that they were not a real band.
    I think us Motown fans are not as bad as Judy Garland fans those people will kill for their queen....LOL

This historical stuff is important to them not matter what the genre!
    Joey Levine was the one with the nasal voice of 1910 Fruitgum Co.

Indeed, Ron Dante was the voice of the Archies as well as the Cuff Links [["Tracy").

Another singer, Tony Burrows, sang lead for Edison Lighthouse's "Love Grows [[Where My Rosemary Goes)" [[February 1970); White Plains' "My Baby Loves Lovin'" [[March 1970); The Pipkins' novelty song "Gimme Dat Ding" [[April 1970); and The First Class' "Beach Baby" [[July 1974). He also sang lead vocals on The Brotherhood of Man's "United We Stand", which reached #10 on the UK charts and also reached #13 in the U.S. In fact, there's a whole CD devoted to him, mostly familiar songs, and I don't think any are credited to his real name!

can you imagine the reaction of sports fans if historical data were tampered with, when they can recite exact info from decades ago? there would be BLOOD!..
    well, pop music fans are just as devoted as sports fans are,and NO ONE is re writing history on my watch..ya heard?

I can just imagine Gordy in the 60's saying 'no one's gonna care about this shit ten years from now"..'
    well, if that was the case...SURPRISE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    I can just imagine Gordy in the 60's saying 'no one's gonna care about this shit ten years from now"..'
    well, if that was the case...SURPRISE!!
    Well, he knew enough to hang onto Jobete even when he sold Motown. That was visionary. I'm not sure if he still owns it, however.

I was refering to all the behind the scenes skull duggery and back stabbing that was in progress in the Florence Ballard/Gladys Horton era..
    I know things that could buy him another castle he'd never let go of..like publishing..smart man...sometimes very nasty man..
    guess to 'make it' you have to be..

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    One thing I've noticed about a lot of Motown stars is that they seem to feel that Motown, whether it be Berry Gordy, Smokey, whomever, should take care of them forever--.
    Bob, you know where they got that from? HIM! Berry himself! He use to tell them that!

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    Fair enough. I forgot Linda R and Adam Ant were even on that show. Whose idea was that? Ugh!
    Yeah they were on there as were T.G. Sheppard, Jose Feliciano and Charlene![[they didn't make the broadcast version however.) Rick James elected along with Gladys Knight & the Pips to not participate. I don't know what the deal was with Teena Marie.

I do know that line about having Adam Ant on would bring in younger views was bullshit. You see, I was in that 18-34 year old demographic at that time and no one I knew was anxious to see Adam Ant on a Motown music special!

Quote Originally Posted by ladonna View Post
    Good Lord people! I heard, Linda and Adam were there as part of the agreement with whichever network Motown brokered the deal with. Sentimentality is one thing, show BUSINESS is another.
    The network was NBC and I promise you no at NBC pushed for Adam Ant to be on that program as he was still largely unknown in America by that time having just made his television debut on American Bandstand a few months earlier in 1982! Linda Rondstat was considered only because she had some modest success covering a few of Smokey Robinson's songs. That was Motowns' and Suzanne DePasse's idea to have her on in an attempt to show Motown music's crossover and to which depths it had gone in the general American Pop Culture. Heck, they could have and should have had RARE EARTH on who were far more famous and authentic than Adam Friggin Ant! It was a dumb decision to do it that way by Suzanne DePasse in my opinion!

if something like the internet existed in the 60's, Mr.Gordy wouldn't have been able to pull the s,,stuff that he pulled without being called on it..
    the absence of social media didn't allow us to call 'foul' back then...
    so I'll call it NOW!
    You're right in a lot of ways Jimi! Shit , I was grown before I learned that Florence Ballard did not quit the Supremes to start an antique business! LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The network was NBC and I promise you no at NBC pushed for Adam Ant to be on that program as he was still largely unknown in America by that time having just made his television debut on American Bandstand a few months earlier in 1982! Linda Rondstat was considered only because she had some modest success covering a few of Smokey Robinson's songs. That was Motowns' and Suzanne DePasse's idea to have her on in an attempt to show Motown music's crossover and to which depths it had gone in the general American Pop Culture. Heck, they could have and should have had RARE EARTH on who were far more famous and authentic than Adam Friggin Ant! It was a dumb decision to do it that way by Suzanne DePasse in my opinion!
    Wasn't this the special that Boy George was on as well? Or am I thinking of a different one? I forgot about Adam Ant...he typified 80s style over substance...empty glam. At least Boy George could sing though he certainly did get messed up later.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Well, he knew enough to hang onto Jobete even when he sold Motown. That was visionary. I'm not sure if he still owns it, however.

No, Mr. Gordy sold Jobete. He sold Motown Records in 1988 for $61 million to MCA/Boston Ventures only to have them turn around 3 years later in 1991 and sell it for $330 million to Polygram!

Wasn't this the special that Boy George was on as well? Or am I thinking of a different one? I forgot about Adam Ant...he typified 80s style over substance...empty glam. At least Boy George could sing though he certainly did get messed up later.
    Kenneth, NO! The special you are thinking was "Motown Returns to the Apollo" from 1985 when Motown help celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Apollo theater. You are right they had Boy George on, as well as George Michaels but at least both of them could sing! Find me someone, anyone that can name an Adam Ant song?

Kenneth, NO! The special you are thinking was "Motown Returns to the Apollo" from 1985 when Motown help celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Apollo theater. You are right they had Boy George on, as well as George Michaels but at least both of them could sing! Find me someone, anyone that can name an Adam Ant song?
    I hate to say I remember one called "Puss in Boots," though I don't think [[thankfully) I ever heard it...just remembered the title. God help me.

We finally find out what happened I read about poker games and all of that too.! Gladys has to be telling the truth because Martha wouldnt lie about something like that and Smokey wrote some of the Marvelettes biggest hits with Wanda on lead so it wouldnt make sense that this group wouldnt be on Motown 25! Very revealing Gladys is no dummy people in the music industry think the old timers dont know about publishing and what goes on behind closed doors they know because they have been hoodwinked. What is really sad is the way Stevie W, Michael Jackson and Diana Ross are always put up front as the main moneymakers for Motown [[oh and Marvin Gaye). I remember [[was it Mary Wilson) someone said Flos face had beeen cut out of one of the pictures in the museum. I asked someone why doesnt Berry Gordy give money to the museum and maintain it and why are they always asking for donations and a friend of mine said because it doesnt make money for him. At his age how much more money does he need? I would think he would care about his legacy and then Smokey is always coming out with the same old words about the Motown family and how Berry was misrepresented in Dreamgirls and all of this. Smokey made them [[the creators of the movie) issue an apology to Berry! If he can go get the calvary to do that he could have made a simple call and see if the Marvelettes still wanted to perform. This also lets me know Motown owned their name! I know business is ugly but this was a black owned company and you would have thought that although it is not their responsibility to take care of former artists Gladys is right they should have been invited to Motown 25 and had a say in the selling or use of the name. Heck keep the name let Gladys sing and get a percentage of the show although they know she wont attact 25,000 people so they would not have made much but right is right. I have seen in countless articles [[non Motown) how popular the Marvelettes were and still are and people are always asking why Motown never honored them on that show. Its criminal Im sorry and now poor Gladys is gone. Its time to make it right with Gladys, and Katherine. and Juanita.
    Stephanie, ever been curious as to why the sudden switch to Wanda Rogers singing the lead on Marvelettes records after they had been having more than a reasonable amount of success with Gladys in the lead? I know you have heard the argument as to why once hits are scored with a particular lead voice that the company mandated that that "voice" would be considered the "sound" of a particular group? Not so in the case of the Marvelettes, huh? LOL!

Haven't you ever wondered......just a little bit?

Marv: Berry did own the Jobete catalog for a number of years after he had sold Motown in '88. Check out this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/07/02/bu...own-songs.html

I believe he sold the second half of the catalog to EMI a few years ago.

I hate to say I remember one called "Puss in Boots," though I don't think [[thankfully) I ever heard it...just remembered the title. God help me.
    You are truly blessed if you remember that, because I have NEVER heard of that song and I pretty much have listened to just about everybody in a variety of music genres over the years.

You are truly blessed if you remember that, because I have NEVER heard of that song and I pretty much have listened to just about everybody in a variety of music genres over the years.
    Mea culpa...!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Marv: Berry did own the Jobete catalog for a number of years after he had sold Motown in '88. Check out this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/07/02/bu...own-songs.html

I believe he sold the second half of the catalog to EMI a few years ago.

You are exactly right Carlo and THANK YOU for the link to that article

Marv

Stephanie: I don't mind you talking about Motown 25 at all. I don't get why some members of this forum tend to get irked when other members choose to discuss past events. The typical response I see on here over and over again is, "It's time to move on". I respectfully disagree with that. As someone else pointed out already, this forum functions to serve that very purpose...discussing the past, whether that be music, music history, etc. There are so many Supremes and Diana Ross discussions on this forum day in and day out, many of which relate to the old tired topic of "reunions", I think we should be permitted to have at least one discussion on The Marvelettes. Nothing wrong with that.

You are exactly right Carlo and THANK YOU for the link to that article

Marv
    No problem-o!

ladonna Guest
    I don't think anyone feels Motown 25 shouldn't be discussed, or anything else for that matter; I think it is the bitterness that some fans express that many feel should be, by now, let go of, and moved away from; not the discussion.

How in the heck does those two subjects relate? How are you going to decide which historical facts are worthy of knowing and which ones are not? There is more than enough room in the realm of African American History [[which is actually an important part of American History in general) to include it all!

Stephanie: I don't mind you talking about Motown 25 at all. I don't get why some members of this forum tend to get irked when other members choose to discuss past events. The typical response I see on here over and over again is, "It's time to move on". I respectfully disagree with that. As someone else pointed out already, this forum functions to serve that very purpose...discussing the past, whether that be music, music history, etc. There are so many Supremes and Diana Ross discussions on this forum day in and day out, many of which relate to the old tired topic of "reunions", I think we should be permitted to have at least one discussion on The Marvelettes. Nothing wrong with that.
    My Champ! You said that much better than I could have, but dont' forget I am older than you.........hehehehhe! Just kidding, you make a great point Carlo. I think folks that continually use the term, "it's time to move on" do that for selfish reason that I don't even want to waste time on trying to analyze at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by ladonna View Post
    I don't think anyone feels Motown 25 shouldn't be discussed, or anything else for that matter; I think it is the bitterness that some fans express that many feel should be, by now, let go of, and moved away from; not the discussion.
    I'm not sure if I would necessarily call it "bitterness". It's an opinion. I share the same opinion as Stephanie, Marv, Jimi and others. I believe that The Marvelettes were mistreated by Motown. People can say what they want, but the writing is on the wall. The fact that Motown's pioneer group wasn't even invited to sit in the audience at Motown 25 speaks volumes. This is just one example of many.

Marv, earlier in the discussion you had mentioned how in the 80's there was a photo of Diana and Mary on display at the Motown Museum and Flo was cut out of the middle...it must have been the same one that was featured in the Diana Ross & the Supremes 1968 tour program. Flo was cut out of the middle to reflect the lineup change. I guess someone had the stupid idea of using that exact same photo in the museum.
    Last edited by carlo; 08-13-2011 at 08:31 PM.

I'm not sure if I would necessarily call it "bitterness". It's an opinion. I share the same opinion as Stephanie, Marv, Jimi and others. I believe that The Marvelettes were mistreated by Motown. People can say what they want, but the writing is on the wall. The fact that Motown's pioneer group wasn't even invited to sit in the audience at Motown 25 speaks volumes. This is just one example of many.
    Here is another thing people need to consider that Glady's touched upon in that interview and that being because of the Marvelettes early success, Motown was able to afford things like Artist Development ,etc, etc that all of it's classic artists benefitted from! When Diana Ross demanded that Berry Gordy go and find Gladys Horton and make her sit upfront when the Supremes played the Copa for that first time, Diane never even gave it a thought that had it not been for Gladys and her group the Marvelettes, the Supremes may not have received that "extra polish" that allowed them to play places like the Copa with great success.

Gladys, being the kind hearted person that she was , never understood why it was so important to Diana Ross that she be present to watch Diane, Mary and Florence on their big night!

Marv, earlier in the discussion you had mentioned how in the 80's there was a photo of Diana and Mary on display at the Motown Museum and Flo was cut out of the middle...it must have been the same one that was featured in the Diana Ross & the Supremes 1968 tour program. Flo was cut out of the middle to reflect the lineup change. I guess someone had the stupid idea of using that exact same photo in the museum.

Carlo, I am glad you brought that up. It may have been the same picture from that tour program. I need to look at it. [[maybe you could scan it sometime, but don't go through a lot of trouble) But the "doctored" picture displayed at the museum came out of a box along with a lot other stuff left over from the graphic arts dept, or whatever they called the dept that designed the album covers in those days. I just remember we had to move a lot boxes upstairs one time. Thinking about it now, I don't know the exact person that butchered that picture,but I have a good idea when and why they did it now.
    Last edited by marv2; 08-13-2011 at 08:39 PM.

ladonna Guest

Re-read some of the posts, Carlo; there is bitterness to be found there, and for fans to be carrying it after all these years, is not healthy. Gladys stated that she wasn't bitter, and that instead it was Wanda, but after listening to that interview, I beg to differ.

Here is another thing people need to consider that Glady's touched upon in that interview and that being because of the Marvelettes early success, Motown was able to afford things like Artist Development ,etc, etc that all of it's classic artists benefitted from! When Diana Ross demanded that Berry Gordy go and find Gladys Horton and make her sit upfront when the Supremes played the Copa for that first time, Diane never even gave it a thought that had it not been for Gladys and her group the Marvelettes, the Supremes may not have received that "extra polish" that allowed them to play places like the Copa with great success.

Gladys, being the kind hearted person that she was , never understood why it was so important to Diana Ross that she be present to watch Diane, Mary and Florence on their big night!
    Good point! Very true.

ross wanted Gladys there, and tried to get Martha Reeves there as well, to rub it in their faces..."look at ME!!"..as Mary says,"she's always been that way"..
    but in effect, she was running the company, and was obviously threatened by/competitive with the other girls;
    she didn't demand for Marvin Gaye,Levi Stubbs or David Ruffin to be dragged to the show

When it came to Martha and the Vandellas, the Marvelettes, and other groups at Motown I dont know why Miss Ross was so eager for them to see her and what she accomplished. By this time the Supremes were at the helm at Motown and she just had to prove to them she was on top. They were no longer the no hit Supremes I think she wanted to rub it in their faces that she had Berry and could do what she wanted [[to a certain extent). Motown didnt make her this way though she was always competitive according to those who knew her and I guess it carried on into her performances and her character at Motown. One thing I will say about the Marvelettes is that you never heard anyone bad mouthing them they were pretty nice women. I wish there was footage of them performing at other clubs other than the Apollo. I have talked to two people who have seen them in the latter 60s and both parties said they were great!

One thing I will say about the Marvelettes is that you never heard anyone bad mouthing them they were pretty nice women.
    Exactly. This is one of the reasons I like them so much.

ross wanted Gladys there, and tried to get Martha Reeves there as well, to rub it in their faces..."look at ME!!"..as Mary says,"she's always been that way"..
    but in effect, she was running the company, and was obviously threatened by/competitive with the other girls;
    she didn't demand for Marvin Gaye,Levi Stubbs or David Ruffin to be dragged to the show

Jimi, you know I had never thought about that. She didn't demand that the fellas be there [[although I can highly imagine David Ruffin telling her to flip off LOL!), it is a very interesting point you made. She apparently DID want to rub it in the faces of Gladys and Martha. Wow........

When it came to Martha and the Vandellas, the Marvelettes, and other groups at Motown I dont know why Miss Ross was so eager for them to see her and what she accomplished. By this time the Supremes were at the helm at Motown and she just had to prove to them she was on top. They were no longer the no hit Supremes I think she wanted to rub it in their faces that she had Berry and could do what she wanted [[to a certain extent). Motown didnt make her this way though she was always competitive according to those who knew her and I guess it carried on into her performances and her character at Motown. One thing I will say about the Marvelettes is that you never heard anyone bad mouthing them they were pretty nice women. I wish there was footage of them performing at other clubs other than the Apollo. I have talked to two people who have seen them in the latter 60s and both parties said they were great!
    Stephanie, you just made me think of something. Has there or were there anything you've read or heard about the other ladies such as Mary Wells, the Marvelettes , Martha & the Vandellas or even Florence or Mary for that matter , acting like that towards fellow Motown Artists?
    Last edited by marv2; 08-13-2011 at 10:20 PM.

I was a kid when I got to see the Marvelettes perform. It was 1966 and by then it was just Gladys, Katherine and Wanda. I remember them singing in a park concert, City Park [[Toledo, Ohio). My brother remembers much more of that show than I do unfortunately.

Exactly. This is one of the reasons I like them so much.

Carlo, if you went to Detroit and went by Kat's house to see her and told her you were a big fan and really enjoyed their work......she'd bake you one of her famous pound cakes! That is how she is! Just a great ,right on lady!

Yeah, it's true. I heard Kat makes an amazing pound cake!

It's too bad these ladies didn't have better personal management who didn't have ties to Motown. Some of the grievances are absolutely legitimate, others seem a little, shall we say, perhaps naive. The example I'm thinking of is that in Marc Taylor's book, he describes Katherine's experience writing the song "I Don't Want to Do Wrong," which Gladys Knight & the Pips recorded, and that Kat was very upset that she had to share writing credits with others who contributed very little to the song. After that she said, she never wanted to write again. It seems a shame to give up a gift like that - I mean that was a great song and could have been a second career for her - for that reason. Someone who was more connected to the music business could have advised her that this is common "stock and trade" in the industry, that producers take writers' credits, people who add a line or two take credit, and others do nothing but bargain for credit somehow. I say this is naive on her part not because it isn't a bad practice which she shouldn't have abhorred, but because if she'd had a little thicker skin or a strong management team, she could have weathered this and then gone on to greater success in the related field of songwriting.

I honestly don't know, was that really the only song she wrote as it seems to say in the book? I would hate to think so.

Kenneth,

I couldn't have said it better, and, yes, to my knowledge, that is the only song she wrote.

Marc T.

Quote Originally Posted by mellow_q View Post
    Kenneth,

I couldn't have said it better, and, yes, to my knowledge, that is the only song she wrote.

Marc T.
    Marc, Nice to hear from you! I loved your book. I was the reader who sent you the Law Review article about the musical group impostors. Thanks for your response, Kenneth

I've said it many times and I'll say it again:'
    I love Diana Ross, she got me into Motown in the first place in 1964,as I was about to become a teenager, and I even love her combative antics, it's human nature;
    but I don''t love an unfair fight, where the other parties have their hands tied behind their backs[[by Berry Gordy) because then, it's not really a fight, it's bullying..
    Ross had to suffer with 'no hits" for several years while Martha and Gladys had big hits,and I'm sure the childhood trauma of never being "as good as" her sister, the doctor[[everything stems from childhood,believe me, I know) led her to not accept second best ever again...and she found a way to do that..and that drive turned her into....DIANA ROSS!!
    [[but I don't like the unfair fight part of the program...not a bit)
    and I don't doubt that she helped tip the scales ,unfavorably, for the other female artists at Motown, not a single doubt in my mind...
    but I still love her!..what can I say..

I'm with you Jimi-if not for Diana Ross' "artistic temperament," Nobody'd be talking about her today! I like bad girls, anyway! I'd follow Diana Ross around, waiting for something awful to happen!

True Story: I was shoved outta the way by Diana Ross back in the 80's at a nightclub in Manhattan. I still brag to people that I've been shoved out the way by Diana Ross!

and let's face it, you know that while Taraborelli details all the shocking behavior of "Call Her Miss Ross",he lives for it; he loves every second of it..I know i do;
    I remember an interview with Ru Paul where he said"I read "Call Her Miss Ross",and I loved Diana more after that, and then I read Mary Wilson's book, and I loved Diana EVEN MORE after THAT!"...
    right on, Ru Paul!

Me too! I loved those books!

By the way, if you all haven't read Boy George's memoirs "Take it Like a Man"--you should! Lots of Motown stories in there! The book is trashy and hilarious--and his stories from "Motown Returns to the Apollo" are priceless.

while we're plugging fun, trashy books full of industry dirt[[but sadly, nothing on Motown), there's the new auto bio "Lick Me: How I Became Cherry Vanilla" by Warhol/Bowie/new wave superstar Cherry Vanilla..
    try it, you'll like it..trust me..
    she was the first female night club DJ in NYC in the 60's and she DOES talk about playing Marvelettes records in the big NY clubs

Oh goody! I'll order that book right now! Thanks for the trashy tip!