[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramone Verona View Post
    I must say that Scherrie's performance was not only Spectacular, but I was surprised Diana and her promoters/managers allowed it. Scherrie commanded the stage as well as the audience with her powerful voice on a wonderful song, Stoned Love.
    Yeah, Diana was back-stage getting into a new gown but how could you follow "that"??
    Then we found out how fond Diana was of Scherrie and Lynda and their keeping the music of the supremes and solo-Ross alive with no smack-talk.
    I bet Diana treated them to great food, too!!!!!!
    [[as well as those nice coats we saw on the TODAY Show!)
    I loved the whole concept of Diana's show with Scherrie and Lynda and wished it had continued for a long time.
    I may even have had a tear in my eye when they sang that interlude from the Copa show about "and we will have it for you at the next time".......my memory isn't perfect on that line....."and here's another song that you've made popular, and we'd like to do it now......"
    I would have died if Diana and the girls had sung "Cross-roads of Love" or "Breath-taking Guy"!!!!!!!
    My underwear would have been up there on ANY of those girl's shoulder pads!!!
    Spectacular? Scherrie Payne singing Stoned Love BRINGS the Pain! Interminable intro "STOOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW I said STOOWOWOWOWOWO Let me tell you bout STOWOWOWOWOW" If she's just sing the damn song it would help.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Spectacular? Scherrie Payne singing Stoned Love BRINGS the Pain! Interminable intro "STOOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW I said STOOWOWOWOWOWO Let me tell you bout STOWOWOWOWOW" If she's just sing the damn song it would help.
    Can I get an AMEN!?! Thank you jillfoster!

I have to agree with jillfoster. Scherrie's "Stoned Love" from the MSG video that I saw was over-singing at its worst IMO.

It is pretty rough! HAHAHA! I could hardly take it. I had a hard time figuring out what song she was singing.
    Last edited by marv2; 08-10-2011 at 11:50 PM.

I think I will always prefer Jean singing Stoned Love and the other Jean led songs and I will take Diana on the Diana led songs. When the other girls sing them, it is just another tribute group and makes little difference if it's Lynda, Mary, or a Karen.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I think I will always prefer Jean singing Stoned Love and the other Jean led songs and I will take Diana on the Diana led songs. When the other girls sing them, it is just another tribute group and makes little difference if it's Lynda, Mary, or a Karen.
    I agree with this. Mary Wilson has every right to sing "Stop! in the Name of Love" and other hits she originally sang on, but it's Diane who we remember singing it and whose style evokes the original version. I feel the same about the Jean-led "original" Supremes medley on the "Live in Japan" set. She presents the songs almost as throwaways. In one of Mary's books, she comments that Jean rebelled against doing the old Supremes material. It certainly seemed Jean didn't put her heart into those songs [[brief as they are, admittedly, on that LP).

There are others who reinterpret the material and present their own spins on them. My favorite has always been Margie Joseph's version of "Stop!"
    Last edited by kenneth; 08-11-2011 at 12:05 AM.

sounds like those who didn't go want to direct traffic. i wanted to go but a family vacation took precedence. now all those you tube clips are always better than being there, but i would imagine the real ed sullivan audiences would beg to differ with this recent edited crap that they take people for.

Quote Originally Posted by ladonna View Post
    Any thoughts on Jean's solo debut? I found it to be a little better than mediocre, but my expectations where sky high.
    I'm afraid it never registered much with me at the time, though I was very anxious to hear it when it came out. I'll have to listen to it again after all this time. [[And no, Marv2, you don't need to remind me how long ago it was, thanks anyway!) My [[faint) recollection is that she was in fine voice as usual but the material was pretty lackluster.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I'm afraid it never registered much with me at the time, though I was very anxious to hear it when it came out. I'll have to listen to it again after all this time. [[And no, Marv2, you don't need to remind me how long ago it was, thanks anyway!) My [[faint) recollection is that she was in fine voice as usual but the material was pretty lackluster.
    Ok Kenneth, it's just safe to say that Jimmy Carter was the President and "Happy Days" was still a hit sitcom! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Ok Kenneth, it's just safe to say that Jimmy Carter was the President and "Happy Days" was still a hit sitcom! LOL!
    Please...be kind...K

I'll have to agree with you,Ramone Verona,Sherrie Payne's performance,of Stoned Love was Spectacular,from the Return To Love Tour,Yes it's Jean's voice on the hit,but when ever i see Scherrie sang Stoned Love in her live shows,i can't think of anyone singing it better then Miss Payne,love her voice.What a pro,what a SUPREME.
    Please stay positive

I have to admit, during the 70s when Scherrie sang Stoned Love, I didn't like little vocal turn in the intro either [[I said Stowwwoned.) It just didn't fit. However, she has taken that out and when she sings it now she does the intro straight...with that huge voice.

I normally don't like it when Mary sings the hits because her voice doesn't fit them. But I liked how she did Stoned Love as well. She gave it a gospel feel and it worked for me.

I still enjoy Mary's Motown album thought it was disco throw away. Warm Summer Night to me is a lost hit record. I told her this the last time I saw her and she agreed, "A lot of people liked that one." She's a gracious lady

stopinthenameoflove Guest
    Now I'm not a big fan of the FLOS, but I have a CD single [[remember those?) of the FLOS which has Scherrie singing Stoned Love [[Piano Mix) - which is just her and piano accompaniment. And I have to tell you - its just lovely, really lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    I'll have to agree with you,Ramone Verona,Sherrie Payne's performance,of Stoned Love was Spectacular,from the Return To Love Tour,Yes it's Jean's voice on the hit,but when ever i see Scherrie sang Stoned Love in her live shows,i can't think of anyone singing it better then Miss Payne,love her voice.What a pro,what a SUPREME.
    Please stay positive

Quote Originally Posted by stopinthenameoflove View Post
    Now I'm not a big fan of the FLOS, but I have a CD single [[remember those?) of the FLOS which has Scherrie singing Stoned Love [[Piano Mix) - which is just her and piano accompaniment. And I have to tell you - its just lovely, really lovely.
    I have to agree with you on that version. Scherrie did a very fine job. But, I would rather have heard Jean do the piano vocal. Just something sweet, soulful, gutsy, dangerous and magical about that voice.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I did like how Jean did "Reflections," "My World is Empty Without You" and "Someday We'll Be Together" live. And although I never cared for Lynda's personality [[she seemed divisive to me – harming the group to advance herself) I loved the way she sounded with Mary! Those two really kicked it on "Stoned Love!"

I loved how Jean did Love Is Here. She just had a soulfulness about her voice.

In her defense regarding the old hits, it wasn't just singing the old songs that she objected to. Motown began to panic after Lynda joined because sales began to tank. Just prior the ladies did a revamped show for Vegas with even more standards [[Day By Day, etc) and got panned critically. So Motown went back to the old Supremes formula. Old gowns were pulled out and the old Ross material, TCB, It's Alright With Me, You're Nobody were put back into the act. They were doing fewer of the Jean hits and more of the Diana hits.

Jean Terrell had worked her butt off try to establish herself as the new lead singer of the Supremes. She therefore objected to this because she felt this was making it harder to establish HER grouping of Supremes apart from Diana's. She was of course correct. This new act basically relegated the trio to an oldies act with show tunes thrown in. They were even reduced to being an opening act for the Temptations on one tour. The revues got worse. Terrell went along with this but her last booking, at Magic Mountain, she took Randy Taraborrelli's advice and did Stoned Love as the opening song. No material from the Diana years were included. The crowds were wild at this venue [[I was there).

Then she and Lynda left with little fanfare.

Well here is the best of both worlds. A shared lead between Jean and Scherrie [[with Lynda- the Flos). This is just a great song period. I LOVE this performance. Scherrie Payne has a gread voice, and it is great to see Jean enjoying herself. These are the SUPREMES. Record contract or not, original member or not. Its a shame that the Supremes were not able to continue on like the Temptations did.

Those are the FLOS.........

Yes that are the FLOS...Former Ladies of Supremes. And you can't take that from them. They're legit...the ones with real voices

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Yes that are the FLOS...Former Ladies of Supremes. And you can't take that from them. They're legit...the ones with real voices
    Ain't much to take and who's looking to do that? They were legitimately a group of Ex-Supremes back then 21 years ago in 1990. What are they now? Real voices as opposed to lip synching? Great their audiences should appreciate that.

Their audiences do. Especially the one who saw that travesty of Supremes on Motown 45

I have that show,Skooldem 1,The Former Ladies Of The Supremes Jean,Lynda and Scherrie really were Supreme,when they were together,This show the ladies were at they're best,and again MISS SCHERRIE PAYNE'S performance on STONED LOVE is spectacular,when ever she sings it.I also like MARY WILSON'S version,of STONED LOVE also.
    Please stay positive

Their audiences do. Especially the one who saw that travesty of Supremes on Motown 45
    Those weren't the Supremes. The Supremes ended on June 12, 1977!

Thanks for the video Skool. A good version. It confirms to me that it's best if Jean sing the lead on this song........no Scherrie, no Mary, not even Diana. They can all do their versions but this is Jean's signature song.

I like how Mary Wilson sings it now, in 2011 best and her musician that are so exact with the music.

Ramone Verona Guest
    I loved how Jean did Love Is Here. She just had a soulfulness about her voice.

In her defense regarding the old hits, it wasn't just singing the old songs that she objected to. Motown began to panic after Lynda joined because sales began to tank. Just prior the ladies did a revamped show for Vegas with even more standards [[Day By Day, etc) and got panned critically. So Motown went back to the old Supremes formula. Old gowns were pulled out and the old Ross material, TCB, It's Alright With Me, You're Nobody were put back into the act. They were doing fewer of the Jean hits and more of the Diana hits.

Jean Terrell had worked her butt off try to establish herself as the new lead singer of the Supremes. She therefore objected to this because she felt this was making it harder to establish HER grouping of Supremes apart from Diana's. She was of course correct. This new act basically relegated the trio to an oldies act with show tunes thrown in. They were even reduced to being an opening act for the Temptations on one tour. The revues got worse. Terrell went along with this but her last booking, at Magic Mountain, she took Randy Taraborrelli's advice and did Stoned Love as the opening song. No material from the Diana years were included. The crowds were wild at this venue [[I was there).

Then she and Lynda left with little fanfare.
    Thankyou, Rick!
    It's great to get the real story from someone who was there.
    Jean's departure from the Supremes is no mystery.
    Loved those early FLOS days with Jean as well as up to today.
    It's so great to see them today with matching gowns, great vocals, and no drama...ever!
    I hope Diana can team up with them one more time for some fun!!
    The Motown-45 was so embarrassing; although I enjoyed seeing Cindy performing again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramone Verona View Post
    Thankyou, Rick!
    It's great to get the real story from someone who was there.
    Jean's departure from the Supremes is no mystery.
    Loved those early FLOS days with Jean as well as up to today.
    It's so great to see them today with matching gowns, great vocals, and no drama...ever!
    I hope Diana can team up with them one more time for some fun!!
    The Motown-45 was so embarrassing; although I enjoyed seeing Cindy performing again.
    Ramone, he wasn't there... he was like 14 years old when all that went down [[jean leaving the supremes, etc.) he's just repeating what others have told him.. And there's plenty of drama, you just don't see it. Jean's departure [[From the FLOS) was pretty acrimnious from what I understand, and Lynda being completely at fault for that. Then Sundray was fired after that... who fires their own sister? Scherrie just smiles and goes along because she needs the money.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 08-13-2011 at 09:31 PM.

LOL jill-sing the damm song!If u just belieieieieieve

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    LOL jill-sing the damm song!If u just belieieieieieve
    Jill was able to nail it! I couldn't pinpoint just one part of that version of song that I didn't like, but I know now. Also all that adding of "additional" lyrics that made no sense. LOL!!!!

Scherrie brought the house down in NYC's Madison Square Garden. The crowd went wild. I find it fascinating that those who claim to not have any interest in Diana Ross, that lineup, or concert have seen this. I have never seen Scherrie's performance of that song from RTL on youtube. Did you all purchase the bootleg?

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Scherrie brought the house down in NYC's Madison Square Garden. The crowd went wild. I find it fascinating that those who claim to not have any interest in Diana Ross, that lineup, or concert have seen this. I have never seen Scherrie's performance of that song from RTL on youtube. Did you all purchase the bootleg?

Skool Dem it was on Youtube. Strangely, they had Scherrie sing it solo without Diane and Lynda backing her up.

All the ladies had solos. First up was Scherrie, then Lynda, then Diana's mini solo set.

All the ladies had solos. First up was Scherrie, then Lynda, then Diana's mini solo set.
    Problem was, it was a GROUP song by the Supremes and they had sung many of the 60's songs with all three women on stage but not for Stoned Love or Up the Ladder to the Roof. They did not really seem like a group at all to most people.
    Last edited by marv2; 08-12-2011 at 02:06 PM.

First things first. Diana don't do back up. Secondly, I'm thinking that this time was utilized to give each lady a break.

Thanks for that compliment Jill, but I was 18 when Jean left, spent her last performance with her at Magic Mt, and have interviewed her at length and spoken with her several times over the years.

First things first. Diana don't do back up. Secondly, I'm thinking that this time was utilized to give each lady a break.
    Exactly which is why they were never a real group but wanted to charge for tickets like they were Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong singing with Diane.

Exactly which is why they were never a real group but wanted to charge for tickets like they were Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong singing with Diane.
    You've stated Mary should have a solo set in such a show. What's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by simplysupreme View Post
    You've stated Mary should have a solo set in such a show. What's the difference?
    I don't remember saying that. Mary would have to carry most of the lead now for me personally to be interested in this type of thing. Now you can say that I said THIS because I just said it.

I don't remember saying that. Mary would have to carry most of the lead now for me personally to be interested in this type of thing. Now you can say that I said THIS because I just said it.
    Yeah, okay....

people sure need to check their facts before they flap their jack. it's strange how one person seems to know so much about a concert they never attended. and if the concert included mary; aren't her tickets cheaper? LOL. and how is it that some people think they know what's in Scherrie's bank account? Diana says she loves to sing on-stage; can't Scherrie feel the same about singing with her group? does mary let lucy sing a solo? will marv ever remember what stories he has told? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by chestersong View Post
    people sure need to check their facts before they flap their jack. it's strange how one person seems to know so much about a concert they never attended. and if the concert included mary; aren't her tickets cheaper? LOL. and how is it that some people think they know what's in Scherrie's bank account? Diana says she loves to sing on-stage; can't Scherrie feel the same about singing with her group? does mary let lucy sing a solo? will marv ever remember what stories he has told? LOL.
    ALL of their "tickets" are cheaper or less expensive including Diane's for solo performances. I am curious, point to where there is a detailed discussion on Scherrie's bank account, I missed that part. Loving to sing on stage? Where did that come from in this discussion? By Lucy, I take it you are referring to the superbly talented Lucy Shropshire, one of Mary Wilson's back up singers? She sang a little solo and interacted with the other singer when I saw them a few weeks ago. Also, when Mary performs "Floy Joy", Lucy sings part that use to be sung by Jean Terrell.
    If you would like for me to remember something that so unimportant such as most of the stuff you guys seem to always want to talk about, then just ask me the question properly Chet! Now, if I were getting paid to spend this time conversing with people I don't know or those that don't even use their real names [[for whatever reason), then I might even somewhat care about what you have to say or think. Sorry if I sound blunt , but hey Imma New Yorker so what do you expect> LOL!!!!

Ramone, he wasn't there... he was like 14 years old when all that went down [[jean leaving the supremes, etc.) he's just repeating what others have told him.. And there's plenty of drama, you just don't see it. Jean's departure [[From the FLOS) was pretty acrimnious from what I understand, and Lynda being completely at fault for that. Then Sundray was fired after that... who fires their own sister? Scherrie just smiles and goes along because she needs the money, basically, while Lynda acts like Joan Crawford in "Mommie Dearest". Freddie Poole was fired as well, everyone just stays hushed up about it.
    No disrespect but were you there? Aren't you just repeating what others have told you.

Why do so many here vilify Lynda Laurence? I just don't get it.

I have to say I find BayouMotownMan one of the most informative and fair people who contribute here.

Roberta.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    No disrespect but were you there? Aren't you just repeating what others have told you.

Why do so many here vilify Lynda Laurence? I just don't get it.

I have to say I find BayouMotownMan one of the most informative and fair people who contribute here.

Roberta.
    I'm not really part of this discussion, but what bothers me about Lynda Laurence is that, while she may be a talented singer, she had such a short stint with the Supremes and made almost no impact. She appeared on 2 albums [["Live in Japan" which few of us heard at the time and "Jimmy Webb"), and while some may say that Susaye Greene appeared on even less than that [[she was only overdubbed on a few tracks of "High Energy" prior to "Mary Scherrie and Susaye"), her impact was immediately felt and she made a huge difference to the overall group dynamics vocally. She added umistakable quality and verve to her recordings.

In addition, Susaye sang several leads, and was unmistakable on them, while I don't know of any Laurence leads except the variant of "Sha La Bandit," which was again a version we never heard at the time and of a song which I always wondered why was ever recorded anyway.

Aside from that, Laurence seems to have done her best to exploit her brief tenure with the group, which I guess she has a right to, but it just seems to be kind of a hollow claim to fame, having really only sung backup on what was the Supremes' nearly least successful album [[though admittedly a great album which should have been successful).
    Last edited by kenneth; 08-12-2011 at 06:03 PM.

I'm not really part of this discussion, but what bothers me about Lynda Laurence is that, while she may be a talented singer, she had such a short stint with the Supremes and made almost no impact. She appeared on 2 albums [["Live in Japan" which few of us heard at the time and "Jimmy Webb"), and while some may say that Susaye Greene appeared on even less than that [[she was only overdubbed on a few tracks of "High Energy"), her impact was immediately felt and she made a huge difference to the overall group dynamics vocally. She added umistakable quality and verve to her recordings.

Aside from that, Laurence seems to have done her best to exploit her brief tenure with the group, which I guess she has a right to, but it just seems to be kind of a hollow claim to fame, having really only sung backup on what was the Supremes' nearly least successful album [[though admittedly a great album which should have been successful).
    I understand Lynda had a short tenure with the Supremes but a hollow claim to fame or not she was still a Supreme nonetheless. Again, I simply don't understand the venom directed at Miss Laurence or any other Supreme for that matter.

I wish everyone could just enjoy the music and legacy of the Supremes and stop holding petty grudges against women most of us don't even know.

Sorry if my frankness offends anyone. It wasn't my intent.

Roberta

I understand Lynda had a short tenure with the Supremes but a hollow claim to fame or not she was still a Supreme nonetheless. Again, I simply don't understand the venom directed at Miss Laurence or any other Supreme for that matter.

I wish everyone could just enjoy the music and legacy of the Supremes and stop holding petty grudges against women most of us don't even know.

Roberta
    Roberta, No venom on my part. I just think her claim to fame a bit over rated, considering how she's leveraged it over the years. Thanks, K

Roberta
    Well if you just don't understand it, then do either of the foillowing:

A) Shrug your shoulders and move on

or

B) Seek understanding of why "it is what it is"!

Roberta, No venom on my part. I just think her claim to fame a bit over rated, considering how she's leveraged it over the years. Thanks, K
    It is WAY overrated. She didn't put in much time or do much while she was with them. But you are right, she has made what some consider a career all these years just from her brief association with the group.

I'm not really part of this discussion, but what bothers me about Lynda Laurence is that, while she may be a talented singer, she had such a short stint with the Supremes and made almost no impact. She appeared on 2 albums [["Live in Japan" which few of us heard at the time and "Jimmy Webb"), and while some may say that Susaye Greene appeared on even less than that [[she was only overdubbed on a few tracks of "High Energy" prior to "Mary Scherrie and Susaye"), her impact was immediately felt and she made a huge difference to the overall group dynamics vocally. She added umistakable quality and verve to her recordings.

In addition, Susaye sang several leads, and was unmistakable on them, while I don't know of any Laurence leads except the variant of "Sha La Bandit," which was again a version we never heard at the time and of a song which I always wondered why was ever recorded anyway.

Kenneth, FYI, Lynda Laurence did not even do a canned lead vocal for the song "Sha La La Bandit". I don't think any leads featuring Laurence has turned up yet with all the mining of the vaults that has been going on in recent years.

Kenneth, FYI, Lynda Laurence did not even do a canned lead vocal for the song "Sha La La Bandit". I don't think any leads featuring Laurence has turned up yet with all the mining of the vaults that has been going on in recent years.
    Oh, I thought that was her "era." I guess it was Scherrie-Mary-Cindy then. Always thought it was a really trite song, but most people on here seem to like it [[just like "No Matter What Sign You Are"!).

Oh, I thought that was her "era." I guess it was Scherrie-Mary-Cindy then. Always thought it was a really trite song, but most people on here seem to like it [[just like "No Matter What Sign You Are"!).
    Yeah, Lynda is the only one of the 9 Supremes that never sang even a partial lead on any of the songs. I am referring to studio recordings, not that one off shot she did in Hawaii when Jean was sick.

Sha La La Bandit is not a very strong song which is why it was not released back in the 70's when they recorded it.