[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

The Jean, Cindy, Linda group

News to me but Jean said in a 1978 interview with David Nathan that that's how she ended up with her solo record. Initially the process had started with Cindy and Linda in 1976 but that it "fell through for whatever reasons." Did anyone else know about this?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    News to me but Jean said in a 1978 interview with David Nathan that that's how she ended up with her solo record. Initially the process had started with Cindy and Linda in 1976 but that it "fell through for whatever reasons." Did anyone else know about this?
    Luke, there were all kinds of rumors going around back then. One was a group being formed with Jean Terrell, Florence Ballard and Cindy Birdsong.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Luke, there were all kinds of rumors going around back then. One was a group being formed with Jean Terrell, Florence Ballard and Cindy Birdsong.
    Wow....never heard that rumor! Now, that would have been an interesting line-up!

Florence was gone by Feb.1976, so whencould this have been, and what sort of shape was she in?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    Florence was gone by Feb.1976, so whencould this have been, and what sort of shape was she in?
    That rumor started in 1974 and resurfaced again in notably "Black Stars" magazine in 1976 after Florence's death, it was mentioned.

Well as Jean said it was happening it wasnt just a rumor.

Oh and add "Right On" magazine to the list of those that spread that rumor.

There was some brief talk of a new record company called Monster Records that Bobby Martin was trying to get off the ground. But it never got off the ground. Jean did discuss another grouping with Lynda and Cindy, but opted to just go solo. She was also made an offer to replace Marilyn McCoo in the 5th Dimension a couple years prior. Jean had two babies and didn't really want to tour as much as the other people involved wanted to. By going solo, she could call her own shots.

Didn't Mary speak to Diana and ask her to speak to Berry to have any further Supremes offed...........as in, if there were no original members, there would be no further group. And that is what was done?

ladonna Guest
    Yes.

[[10 characters are required to post; certainly this is enough.)

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    There was some brief talk of a new record company called Monster Records that Bobby Martin was trying to get off the ground. But it never got off the ground. Jean did discuss another grouping with Lynda and Cindy, but opted to just go solo. She was also made an offer to replace Marilyn McCoo in the 5th Dimension a couple years prior. Jean had two babies and didn't really want to tour as much as the other people involved wanted to. By going solo, she could call her own shots.
    As per usual BayouMotownMan is correct with his information. The Jean, Lynda, Cindy grouping was not a rumor in fact it came from the very mouth of Jean Terrell. It didn't happen but as BayouMotownMan states it was discussed. Check out this link for the interview where Jean discusses this.

http://www.soulmusic.com/jeteju19in.html

Thanks Roberta,
    That is how I remember it as well. Jean, Lynda and Cindy would have been an interesting group.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    As per usual BayouMotownMan is correct with his information. The Jean, Lynda, Cindy grouping was not a rumor in fact it came from the very mouth of Jean Terrell. It didn't happen but as BayouMotownMan states it was discussed. Check out this link for the interview where Jean discusses this.

http://www.soulmusic.com/jeteju19in.html

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Thanks Roberta,
    That is how I remember it as well. Jean, Lynda and Cindy would have been an interesting group.
    And a very beautiful group captainjames.

Cindy also mention that she was going to a meeting to discuss her future in either Soul or Right magazine. She said she didn't know if it would be solo or with a group. So I take it that Jean and lynda was the group she was referring to. I know I read that Florence and Jean was to be a group before Florence death, that was in Right On magazine.

ladonna Guest
    Ms Jean Terrell Returns Supreme
    By David Nathan
    Copyright © 2011 David Nathan/Soulmusic.com

Ms Terrell speaks with David Nathan about her decision to leave The Supremes [[and Motown), raising her family and her triumphant return to recording with her new A&M Records LP, I HAD TO FALL IN LOVE

"PEOPLE kept calling me, asking me when I was coming back, when I was going to record again — especially fans and friends. Every time a new female artiste would come out, my phone would ring and they'd want to know when I was going to be out there again myself.

"It was really very flattering that people were so concerned — I just hope they feel the wait was worthwhile!"

So speaks the demure, lovely and warm Ms. Jean Terrell and, everyone seems agreed, the wait she refers to has, indeed, been totally worthwhile.

No doubt, Supremes' fans will recall the moment when Jean stepped into prominence as the lead singer for the legendary group replacing the incomparable Diana Ross — an unenviable task for sure! But with her particularly distinctive vocal style and all the personality and charm that was required for a Supreme, Ms. Terrell delivered the goods in the form of seven gold records with the group including "Up The Lader To The Roof", "Stoned Love", "Floy Joy" and "Nathan Jones".

But, as she points out, "music was coming from another point….there were different sounds coming in and we weren't getting them. So it was at a point where nothing was happening from The Supremes at Motown, I thought we should leave as a group and go to another company but, as it was, the group didn't want to go."

And thus began Jean's four-year hiatus from the record business in which time she got married and had two sons — so it would hardly be correct to say that she sat home doing nothing!

"Sure, I enjoyed just being a housewife," she states. "It's important that there's love in a family and I'm sure by my staying at home with my family, I helped instill that.

"I never felt sorry about leaving The Supremes because I knew there was a whole other life waiting for me. I met my husband the same year that I left the group and before you knew it, we were married and along came my first son.

"Sure, it was kinda weird at the very beginning because the experience was new for me — dealing with a husband and a child. But to be honest, I didn't give it much time to dwell on being away from the stage and so on — I just put my energies into my family."

Jean is quick to point out that her departure from The Supremes was not originally supposed to be a solo event.

"Linda [[Lawrence) was supposed to leave and in fact, the whole group was really going to move on to another company but Mary [[Wilson) felt that we had a loyalty to the company, to Motown — so it ended up that I'm the one who made the move."

The lady mentions that she was initially accused of bringing about the beginning of the end of the group"….people felt that I should have stayed there and particularly I guess, because nothing happened for my career immediately afterwards, people figured it was a mistake. But I've never had any regrets about it."

After giving birth to her second son, Jean felt like she was ready to get back into the swing of things musically. "I guess around '76, I'd met with Linda and Cindy [[Birdsong) and we came up with the idea of forming a group but for whatever reason, it just didn't happen. But we'd taken the idea to a management company, Tentmakers [[who also handle, amongst others, L.T.D.) — with whom I became familiar through Benny Golson and he's really a spiritual brother, so I felt immediately that the vibes were right. When the whole group thing didn't happen with Linda and Cindy, they were kinda stuck with me!"

Which was very fortunate because producer Bobby Martin [[of Manhattans fame and one of Philadelphia's top arrangers, producers and musicians — responsible too for the current success for L.T.D.) was also working with Tentmakers and he immediately expressed a desire to work with Jean.

"I guess he'd known about me and had heard me from my days with The Supremes but we'd never actually met. But straight away, when we did, the interreaction was incredible — just fantastic. Bobby is just an amazing kind of person — there's no ego thing involved, he's truly just like a brother, a really easy guy."

Within a relatively short space of time, Bobby and Jean had begun work on an album for A&M Records. "We worked on material together — Bobby brought me stuff and basically, I loved everything he brought. I told him that I really wanted to be mellow and having been away from music and the business for so long, I knew I had to really leave it to him to really direct me. I left it to his discretion to choose the kind of material that he felt would do the job for us. After all, I'm a singer not an a&r person!"

Certainly, the first fruits of the team's work together are a testament to the powerful match of two creative talents. "I'm really very happy with the album," Jean reports. "We had so many good songs and the musicians were fine — Bobby used some of the guys from L.T.D. on cuts and in fact a couple of the guys wrote one of the tunes, "Don't Stop Reaching For The Top".

"I think there are certain hints in there of the Supremes' things I used to do but my voice hasn't changed, it's still me — so I guess people might remember and identify it that way. But I just feel that all the elements in there unite together so well and it's been very encouraging to see the kind of reaction we've been getting from the album. It just makes me know that the next one will be that much better, that much stronger, because people seem to be genuinely pleased with the album."

Already, Jean is making some plans to begin live performances again. "I guess it's going to be strange to start out with — after all, I haven't performed for five years. But I feel that if people accept the album, then it will be no problem.

"What's exciting to me is that there are a whole host of people out there who are not familiar with me from The Supremes, so if I reach them, it's not based on anything I did before — plus of course, there are some folk who do remember and want to hear what we came up with."

Jean states that one of the motivating factors that decided her return to music was "the need to express myself creatively. Singing is something that's always been with me. It's what I always wanted to do and it's what I've always enjoyed doing — so sooner or later, I knew I'd want to get back into it — although I didn't want to just up and leave my family at such young ages. So I just waited until the time was right."

She also feels that it was important for her own personal development to wait until she felt comfortable about it.

"You see, I've changed a great deal since I left the group. The personality I have now is a whole lot different from the one I had before and that's because I wasn't spiritually minded — now I am. And I put that down to my relationship with my Creator. When that changes in a positive sense, your whole life changes.

"It's made me more of a loving person — and made me just want to be a good person.

ladonna Guest
    I should have asked first; is it okay to post copy write material here?

ladonna Guest
    Any thoughts on Jean's solo debut? I found it to be a little better than mediocre, but my expectations where sky high.

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Cindy also mention that she was going to a meeting to discuss her future in either Soul or Right magazine. She said she didn't know if it would be solo or with a group. So I take it that Jean and lynda was the group she was referring to. I know I read that Florence and Jean was to be a group before Florence death, that was in Right On magazine.
    I read that too; regarding a potential group that would include Florence Ballard and Jean Terrell along with Cindy Birdsong.

Florence Ballard was never considered for any groupings. Fans may have pushed the issue, but that was all.

Florence Ballard was never considered for any groupings. Fans may have pushed the issue, but that was all.
    Whether that is true or not, it was published in "Right On" and "Black Stars" magazines. That is where we read it!!! It was rumored is what we SAID!

Ramone Verona Guest
    There's the "Mr. Good Example" guy, Rick.
    Then there's the "Mr. Bad Example" guy, marv.

Don't know if it was true or not, but it was published. I still have the magazine and read it recently. Cindy's picture was used for the quote stating that Florence was to a member of a trio with Jean & Cindy before Florences death

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Don't know if it was true or not, but it was published. I still have the magazine and read it recently. Cindy's picture was used for the quote stating that Florence was to a member of a trio with Jean & Cindy before Florences death
    rod_rick, I know what you are saying is true and accurate because I saw it in the same magazine at the time. The trio was to be Jean Terrell, Florence Ballard and Cindy Birdsong. Now later on, after Florence passed is probably when Linda Lawrence came into the picture. She always seemed to end up replacing someone.......

with Florence in the picture, you know this wouldn't have wound up on Motown...or would it?

Florence Ballard never mentioned this to Peter Benjaminson. These were fan based rumors. Jean only met Flo a couple of times and Florence was in no condition to perform during this period.

This grouping of ex-Supremes was very, VERY short-lived. Jean shot it down rather quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    with Florence in the picture, you know this wouldn't have wound up on Motown...or would it?
    Jimi, you know, I kind of doubt that too. Berry was still CEO, the Boss of Motown.

Florence Ballard never mentioned this to Peter Benjaminson. These were fan based rumors. Jean only met Flo a couple of times and Florence was in no condition to perform during this period.

This grouping of ex-Supremes was very, VERY short-lived. Jean shot it down rather quickly.
    Doesn't matter, it was published for public consumption! That's how we heard about it.

smark21 Guest
    Rumor has it that former Supremes Susaye, Barbara and Jean are going to form a group.

There, the rumor has been posted for public consumption. Let's see in 35 years if Supremes fans will be talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Rumor has it that former Supremes Susaye, Barbara and Jean are going to form a group.

There, the rumor has been posted for public consumption. Let's see in 35 years if Supremes fans will be talking about it.
    It's a good chance that there will be no Supremes fans in 35 years! LOL! Nice try though......

Ramone Verona Guest
    Yes, marv-marv2-and the future marv3 will be the next group of rumored supreme playas......rumor has it.
    If it's "published", then that's good enuf for some folks.
    The "profession" of "promoting" is obviously an honorable one.
    If the public "consumes it"....true dat.
    Where's that pic of Mary Wilson with her show of thousands, dancers, and Sonny Bono skits?
    ...."gypsies, tramps and marv"........

Some lyrics here that might apply.

this guy also led us to a picture of Mary performing that turned out to be CHER! so it is not just "rumors" that cause trouble. sometimes it's intentional false promotion. i would love to drag this guy before the real Mary Wilson, with all the facts-if you know what i mean, and see what she thinks of this "fan" of hers!

I know the answer to that. Refer to her web page

Why is this nastiness necessary? Cant you just talk about the topics and stop persuing personal vendettas? Doesnt the world have enough conflict? Geeeeez.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Why is this nastiness necessary? Cant you just talk about the topics and stop persuing personal vendettas? Doesnt the world have enough conflict? Geeeeez.
    I don't know. I don't know chestersong, but the topic of this thread is "The Jean, Cindy, Linda group". So, chestersong, I prefer that you leave me out of the petty talk..........

WOW !!! I would have love to see this trio create.

I can see why Mary especially wouldn't have wanted the Supremes to continue and would ask Diana to help end it all; but with a grouping like this suggested or rumoured one, it is possible that at some stage, the Supremes might have found another niche for a while, like the Temptations.

I see no nastiness here; most of what is posted is factual. Mary did make comments about fan nastiness and some of the connected fans believe she was referring to Marv, 1, 2 or 3. They are entitled to their views and so is he and a discussion of fan trouble in the Supreme world is always fair game; it is a significant factor in helping ensure there won't be a reunion.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I can see why Mary especially wouldn't have wanted the Supremes to continue and would ask Diana to help end it all; but with a grouping like this suggested or rumoured one, it is possible that at some stage, the Supremes might have found another niche for a while, like the Temptations.

I see no nastiness here; most of what is posted is factual. Mary did make comments about fan nastiness and some of the connected fans believe she was referring to Marv, 1, 2 or 3. They are entitled to their views and so is he and a discussion of fan trouble in the Supreme world is always fair game; it is a significant factor in helping ensure there won't be a reunion.
    They can believe what they want to, but people aren't stupid..... Just leave me out of your petty talk. Thanks.

ladonna Guest
    So many appear to have negative feelings when it comes to Marv 1, 2, and soon to be 3; I wonder if their accounts will be deleted due to their expressing this discontent?

Quote Originally Posted by ladonna View Post
    So many appear to have negative feelings when it comes to Marv 1, 2, and soon to be 3; I wonder if their accounts will be deleted due to their expressing this discontent?
    Just stick to the subject of the thread and you and your buddies should have no problem.....

Those horrible youtube comment speaks volumes to his insensitivity and lack of character. Little wonder Miss Wilson requested that the attacks cease.

Why does YouTube allow this?

ladonna Guest
    Just stick to the subject of the thread and you and your buddies should have no problem.....

Never have I suggested, nor would I ever suggest, that Mary Wilson is one of my "buddies."

Actually, if you get too many negative votes, Youtube will delete all of your comments.........and some of these names that have been bandied about as being connected to Marv 1, 2 or 3 have suffered the consequences of the negative votes. If you watch the occasional Supremes or Ross video, sooner or later you'll spot some of these; the only name I can recall is Oceanbound but there are several and many of you on here know them.

Well, fortunately, when I watch a vid on YouTube I never look at the comments

smark21 Guest
    Actually, if you get too many negative votes, Youtube will delete all of your comments.........and some of these names that have been bandied about as being connected to Marv 1, 2 or 3 have suffered the consequences of the negative votes. If you watch the occasional Supremes or Ross video, sooner or later you'll spot some of these; the only name I can recall is Oceanbound but there are several and many of you on here know them.
    Far too many of the comments pages of Supremes videos on youtube are dominated by bitch fighting between so called Diana Ross fans hating on Mary Wilson and so called Mary Wilson fans hating on Diana Ross. I can only imagine what some casual Supremes or Motown fan looking for some nostalgia must think if they read these flame wars tearing down individual members of the Supremes for their lack of talent and basic morality.

I don't know. I don't know chestersong, but the topic of this thread is "The Jean, Cindy, Linda group". So, chestersong, I prefer that you leave me out of the petty talk..........
    I KNOW YOU from your historically dismal reputation on SDF, you-tube, AOL groups, yahoo groups, and what many, many folks have privately e-mailed here on this forum as well have openly commented. the fact that your reputation precedes you, is a definitional understatement that i bet money will not change. YOUR REPUTATION, is not "petty". it's REAL, and good folk here have a right to be out-spoken about your behavior no different than gas prices going up or mis-use of government funds. don't suggest us to "move on" just because you have made your bed and do not care for what you read.

I think the Supremes got sold down the garden path by taking the populist disco route ~ perhaps Motown pushed that as the current trend. But the final Supremes album didn't even make the Billboard Top 200 and I believe that showed that it was the wrong way for the group to go. And the concerts weren't a hit anymore either. So, there wasn't much left for the group but to bite it.

When I listen to Mary Wilson sing on the reissue of High Energy, I believe with the right material she could have been successful; by 1976, she was a very good singer and could easily have had a Nancy Wilson type of successful career. But Red Hot was so dismal; I don't know who was responsible for that ~ her, Pedro or Motown but it is unlistenable. And that pretty did her chances of success in as well.

Ramone Verona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chestersong View Post
    I KNOW YOU from your historically dismal reputation on SDF, you-tube, AOL groups, yahoo groups, and what many, many folks have privately e-mailed here on this forum as well have openly commented. the fact that your reputation precedes you, is a definitional understatement that i bet money will not change. YOUR REPUTATION, is not "petty". it's REAL, and good folk here have a right to be out-spoken about your behavior no different than gas prices going up or mis-use of government funds. don't suggest us to "move on" just because you have made your bed and do not care for what you read.
    Well said.
    It won't be long before trails on the internet will have markers as specific as DNA.
    Everyone will be held accountable.

You all need to STFU. what people do or not do away from this board is not relevant. I can say that I have had contact with Marv going back 12 years, on the net and through private communication, and he has been nothing but a gentleman to me. So that's MY experience. There are others in this thread that have spread some VERY nasty rumours, and they better watch it, or i'll open the whole can of worms and reveal what they are.