[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson to Appear in "Stormy Weather: The Life of Lena Horne!"

Lena Horne bio with former 'Supreme' begins performing arts series

July 25, 2011 Mary Wilson, a founding member of the Motown group, The Supremes, will appear in Stormy Weather: The Life of Lena Horne at Missouri University of Science and Technology this fall. The multi-media event will also feature international jazz vocalist Paula West and narration by James Gavin, the author of the book of the same name.

This portrait of Horne begins the latest season of the Missouri S&T's Campus Performing Arts Series at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 1, in Leach Theatre of Castleman Hall on the Missouri S&T campus, 10th and Main streets in Rolla.

Season tickets for all eight professional shows in the series are $200 for adults and $160 for youth age 18 and younger. Partial packages that include four shows are available for $120 for adults and $100 for youth. Tickets for individual performances will go on sale Aug. 22. For more ticket information, call the Leach Theatre Box Office at 573-341-4219.

that should be amazing...
    we love Miss Wilson![[release a DVD!)

Mary also did a show in Ohio I believe on Lena.

I wonder if she'll replicate Lena's famous [[infamous?) scat on "June is Bustin' Out All Over"?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I wonder if she'll replicate Lena's famous [[infamous?) scat on "June is Bustin' Out All Over"?
    OH Boy! My eyes are raised to the sky.

First, Diana made a movie portraying Billie Holiday, starred in another film with Lena Horne, and for years, she was obsessed with Josephine Baker. Now Ms. Wilson is in something that pays tribute to Lena Horne.
    It makes me wanna holler and throw up....both my hands.

What is up with the former Supremes paying tribute to women they had very little in common with?
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 07-28-2011 at 12:31 PM.

Um, yea. That was NOT Lena Horne on "June is Bustin' Out All Over". It was Leslie Uggams. I must have had a mild stroke; my apologies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrma76T5Wa4

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post

First, Diana made a movie portraying Billie Holiday, starred in another film with Lena Horne, and for years, she was obsessed with Josephine Baker. Now Ms. Wilson is in something that pays tribute to Lena Horne.

What is up with the former Supremes paying tribute to women they had very little in common with?
    Is it not the norm for artists to pay tribute to their idols? What's so wrong about that? It keeps the music alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post

I don't know what your understanding is, but Mary Wilson and Lena Horne had a lot in common and a very,very long friendship. Lena was Mary's Den Mother and mentor since they formed the social group "BRAVO" way back in the late sixties. They are both beautiful, talented African American female entertainers. Both can sing like nobody's business! That's enough commonality for me!