[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Favorite Motown LIVE albums

It can be one from the early 1960s or one of the Japanese presings. I hear Temptations LIVE! is the most iconic and best selling Motown live album of all time.

smark21 Guest
    I like The Marvelettes Live album. Nothing slick, but it captures the raw energy of their performance, the kids in the audience seem to be having a good time. I especially enjoy their cover of Tossin' and Turnin'.

smark21 Guest

My favorite one was "The Four Tops Live!" at the Roostertail, 1966.

I wished I was at this "party/concert" at the Roostertail......whew!

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    That was a GREAT version! Never heard it before but my girls did a great job there. Thanks!

I have to go with Diana Ross and The Supremes "Live At The Talk Of The Town".
    It shows that the show was tight and they had rehearsed their ass off.

Temptations Live.... bar none........

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That was a GREAT version! Never heard it before but my girls did a great job there. Thanks!
    Where was this taken from [[what lp)?

Marvin Gaye Live at the London Palladium
    Marvin Gaye Live 1973 Oakland
    Farewell- DRATS for Someday We'll Be Together!
    Last edited by jack020; 07-26-2011 at 06:03 AM.

For me it's the Motortown Revue Live! . . . For The Contours, The Marvelettes, & The Miracles, and the killer track, Mary Wells "Bye Bye Baby". bought it on import when it first came out, from a Marine in the Flamingo Club in London's Soho. Yes I know the recording quality leaves a lot to be desired, but it's been one of my favourite live albums ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Where was this taken from [[what lp)?
    From the LP pictured in the clip "The Marvelettes On Stage"

I'll go with Marv on the Four Tops "Live" but my favorite is Marvin 's "At The Copa".

Junior Walker's 1970 Live album:

Man, I wish I'd bought this when it was reissued on CD in the early '90s! Time for a rerelease of Junior's live albums, hint hint!

uptight Guest
    Junior Walker Live! [[1967)
    Marvin Gaye Live! [[1974) [[if only for the song "Distant Lover." It makes the hair on my arms stand.)
    MotorTown Revue [[1969). Great documentation of the revue at Detroit's Fox Theater. [[The 1981 vinyl reissue sounds way better than the recent CD box set.)

Temps did two "live" lps.
    Which one is referenced above?

The Miracles On Stage "live" lp was great. The musicians are cookin'! Motortown Revue live at the Fox in Detroit is
    good too.

I believe Kam was referring the one they did at the Rooster Tail, with the Classic Five,[[ I was lol) they actually did three more, Live at Copa, Live In London and Live In Japan.

Ironically, on the first two I simply adore Paul Williams extended version of Don't Look Back and his flawless & probably most famous recording of For Once In My Life from Live at The Copa.

In love Marvins Live at The Palladium as well.

Martha and the Vandellas Live introduced me to Love Bug Leave My Heart Alone and I thought it was the best version.

Martha's "live" lp

Martha & the Vandellas "live" lp was recorded at the 20 Grand in Detroit, but the mono lp
    and the stereo lp are two different shows, same songs, of course, but different shows.

RossHolloway Guest
    I've always been a fan of the Supreme's Live at the Copa album. Something magical about it, even though I now know there were studio overdubs dones later. Especially loved the Sam Cooke medley.

I love "The Supremes Live in Japan!" I think the CD remix, that tried to balance the band and the vocals a bit better, actually did it harm. The band is not that great and Jean is in top form. I think they should have left the vocals out front. Her intro to "Stoned Love," and versions of "My World Is Empty Without You," "Up The Ladder To The Roof," and "Somewhere," are FLAWLESS! Just amazing vocally. It is the only time I have ever heard a recording come close to her impact live. I think the vinyl mix does the show more justice. I wish they had included everything and had not edited it. I can only imagine what Jean's solo would have sounded like that night.

I used to love that album. It just makes you wonder how Martha could sing so hard throughout the entire show and the audience were going crazy. If you're lucky enough to hear their un-released Copa lp, you'll see hoe versatile Martha Reeves was, she takes on an entirely different approach to soul singing. She was so under rated.

I happen to agree with Loveblind too..that the Vandellas live album was exceptionally good.

I am not sure that Martha is under-rated in the UK. Martha can easily command a big crowd and she is in demand in the Uk - I have witnessed that time and time again. Sure, Martha is compared to the Supremes but she has proved that she can handle that.

In my opinion, all of the Talk of The Town albums were exceptional....The Supremes, Stevie Wonder and the Temptations are all in list of favourite "live" albums but I also need to mention that the Velvelettes "Anthology" with the second performance of the "Battle" concert with the Supremes, is also a favourite.

I love the Temptation live in Japan. I bought this as a German pressing on Tamla Motown in 1975 from Woolworths!! and had just seen them on tour in Manchester England so the LP served as a great souvenir of the show.
    I also got a copy of the Supremes live in Japan around the same time but found the sound quality poor, probably because it was on a quadraphonic pressing. This was also the same set as the 1973 tour I had seen in Manchester with Lynda Lawrence in the line up and Arthur Connely as the support act, great night.

The problem I have with "live" lps is that sometimes the recordings on one lp are not even from the same venue. You can hear the difference, especially with the
    audience--Gladys Knight & the Pips "live" lp is like that. Little Stevie's 12-year old
    Genius too. The hit, "Fingertips", is fantastic, but at a different venue that the
    rest of the lp, much of which was done at the Apollo.
    And, then, as we know, how "live" are these "live" lps.

Quote Originally Posted by vcq View Post
    Junior Walker's 1970 Live album:

Man, I wish I'd bought this when it was reissued on CD in the early '90s! Time for a rerelease of Junior's live albums, hint hint!
    Have you checked www.gemm.com? They have alot of used CDs & vinyl for sale, many of which are rare/hard to find.

The upperdeck is proud to present...the temptations!!

uptight Guest
    I so want that Jr. Walker Live [[the later one).

Yes, "Fingertips" live was recorded at the Regal Theater, wasn't it?

I'm glad All In A Knight's Work wasn't called a live album, even though all of it probably was live. It's probably the worst example of a live album because it was from 2 or 3 different venues all spliced together. I appreciate it, though, because the song sequence was probably Gladys and The Pips' act. And it was very lively. I do enjoy listening to it.

Even Stevie Wonder Live! at The Roostertail had a bit of annoying TV applause and audience laughter to enhance it. But I appreciated the album because it was decent documentation of his act at the time.
    Last edited by uptight; 08-04-2011 at 03:29 PM.

Yes, the 1967=issued Temptations Live! for me. As Paladin says, the 6min plus Don't Look Back is the best track on a live album bar none. The band is funky, as indeed is Paul, who absolutely excels with his vampin' as the song runs on.

I always smile when I hear the slightly fluffed group introduction - Eddie Kendricks [[muffled), EDDIE KENDRICKS... 'and yours truly, Melvin Franklin'

uptight Guest
    With Jr. Walker Live! [[Roostertail) there is a mono/stereo difference. A few of the songs are different performances. The audience is more lively on one than the other. One version might be the earlier show, while the other version could be the later show when the audience got a little more "warmed up." The stereo version is enhanced with overdubbed drums. Similar to the Temptations Live!, there is the annoying tape-delayed echo in an attempt to make the audience sound bigger. Mono version has extended Earl Van Dyke track for the finale.

I have never been patient enough with the Martha & Vandellas Live! to compare the mono/stereo diff. The Vandellas Live! albums have been sitting in my computer untouched for a few years now.

I'm still wondering if these were among the shows broadcast on local Detroit radio for Motown Mondays. They have that rough quality reminiscent of quickly set up remote broadcasts.

Soulwally, I know exactly what and how you heard........excellent observation........I thought it was cool when David's voice cracks a couple of times......other standouts ...Eddies soaring tenor outro on I Wish You Love and Melvin vamping on David in What Now My Love......

Quote Originally Posted by uptight View Post

I have never been patient enough with the Martha & Vandellas Live! to compare the mono/stereo diff. The Vandellas Live! albums have been sitting in my computer untouched for a few years now.
    On Side One, I'M READY FOR LOVE is the same on both the mono and stereo albums. The rest of the side contains the same songs, but different performances.

I think all of the performances on Side Two are the same, except maybe YOU'VE BEEN IN LOVE TOO LONG. But I haven't listened to it in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    On Side One, I'M READY FOR LOVE is the same on both the mono and stereo albums. The rest of the side contains the same songs, but different performances.

I think all of the performances on Side Two are the same, except maybe YOU'VE BEEN IN LOVE TOO LONG. But I haven't listened to it in a while.
    What performance is the best, the mono or stereo? I have 2 live albums, I believe they are the stero version, I need to check.

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    What performance is the best, the mono or stereo? I have 2 live albums, I believe they are the stero version, I need to check.
    Probably the mono. But not in any significant way.

Of course I'm biased to The Four Tops' live record, but I'd actually have to go with "The Earl of Funk." The record has that insane fake applause between tracks, but it's phenomenal to hear the funks in their element. The cut of Stand By Me on that record still gives me chills!

Generally I'm not a huge fan of Motown Live albums but I agree with a lot of people who think The Temptations "Live" is pretty fantastic.

Does anyone have an opinion about Smokey Robinson & The Miracles last album, the live "1957-1972"? It's one of those I wish I bought at the time but never did. Is it worth tracking down?

Actually its pretty good, not a lot of exciting things going on but it was recorded nice and Smokey and The fellas did a good job. Funny thing I've always listened with a note of sadness because you realized that this was gonna be the end........

I have to say I love the [[unreleased) Supremes '77 farewell show at London's Drury Lane. Mary Scherrie & Susaye were a dynamic vocal combination. A short set with great solos. It is far superior to Diana's 1970 farewell which is way too indulgent with Mary & Cindy sidelined and barely audible.

Quote Originally Posted by markdtiller View Post
    I have to say I love the [[unreleased) Supremes '77 farewell show at London's Drury Lane. Mary Scherrie & Susaye were a dynamic vocal combination. A short set with great solos. It is far superior to Diana's 1970 farewell which is way too indulgent with Mary & Cindy sidelined and barely audible.
    I enjoyed that recording too Mark. The ladies out did themselves for that special, final performance. The only thing I would have added to it is the inclusion of Billy Ocean's set , their opening act for the last show.
    Last edited by marv2; 08-05-2011 at 06:46 PM.

I prefer studio recordings, but my favorite live album is "Four Tops Live!".

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I prefer studio recordings, but my favorite live album is "Four Tops Live!".
    That is my all time personal favorite too! I wanted to be older at that time so I could have been there partying with all cool people too. hehehehe......!

The Tops were always welcome in the UK. I saw them "live" more than any other Motown act. They never disappointed.

The Tops were always welcome in the UK. I saw them "live" more than any other Motown act. They never disappointed.
    They may not have been as flashy or have the choreography of some other groups, but they were consumate professionals and really decent guys overall. The best harmonies of probably all of the Motown Acts in my opinion.

Because they weren't over-choreographed, they could be more spontaneous. I saw them once give a whole performance with Levi on crutches.

Because they weren't over-choreographed, they could be more spontaneous. I saw them once give a whole performance with Levi on crutches.
    I rememeber that period where he was on crutches yep! The very last time I saw him onstage with group was at Westbury Music Fair here in New York and he gave the most dramatic reading of "MacArthur's Park" that I had ever heard and that includes the Tops previous perfformances. I knew he was ill, but that audience did not or even had a clue. Levi and the Tops got 3 standing ovations that night! I've seen them in various cities that I lived in across the country and of course at home in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by markdtiller View Post
    Mark, what version of the Farwell do you have? All ther versions that I have, you clearly hear Mary & Cindy

Ramone Verona Guest
    Yes, I have the original LPs and then the copy vinyls of the 80s, then the CDs.
    Mary and Cindy are definitely heard.
    Perhaps the comment pertained to solo numbers or phrases.

Levi on Crutches

Edmonton Regal[[now a supermarket)1972.

Peerless Levi,Tops differerent Class

David R

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Was anyone else offended by this album design? I'm not blaming the poster. But this album pictures the original Marvelettes but is actually the Ian Levine recordings. Anyone not that familiar with the later recordings would naturally assume that these are the original versions. I wonder who put this travesty together. Even though the Levine productions had Gladys and [[sometimes) Wanda, this amounts to false advertising in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Was anyone else offended by this album design? I'm not blaming the poster. But this album pictures the original Marvelettes but is actually the Ian Levine recordings. Anyone not that familiar with the later recordings would naturally assume that these are the original versions. I wonder who put this travesty together. Even though the Levine productions had Gladys and [[sometimes) Wanda, this amounts to false advertising in my opinion.

Kenneth, I know what you mean. The FLO's [[Former Ladies of the Supremes) issued a whole slew of albums some depicting the Original Supremes on the covers. Others presented the material inside in a way to encourage the public to believe that they were getting original recordings of classic songs.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Kenneth, I know what you mean. The FLO's [[Former Ladies of the Supremes) issued a whole slew of albums some depicting the Original Supremes on the covers. Others presented the material inside in a way to encourage the public to believe that they were getting original recordings of classic songs.
    It is really deceptive! I didn't know the FLOs had done that as well. The reason I noticed this one, is because it was on Amazon and one of the reviewers had given it a low rating and pointed out that it was all rerecordings.

Once I saw an "original autographed 45" of "Locking Up My Heart" signed by Desiree Washington [[who???). The seller said she had "sung with the Marvelettes at one time." Give me a break! She wasn't even one of the girls who sang with the reformed group with Gladys and Wanda! Must be one of Markshak's minions. And she certainly didn't sing on "Locking Up My Heart" or any of the other recordings!

When I pointed out to the seller how dishonest it was, what these "singers" were doing, he responded, "Well, I guess they need to make a living." Well, yes, so do I, but I don't sell drugs, rob banks, or pass myself off as one of the Marvelettes!
    Last edited by kenneth; 08-06-2011 at 11:04 AM.