[REMOVE ADS]

Help me identify a Johnnie Taylor song

I hope a knowledgeable member can help me identify a Johnnie Taylor track. I was given a CD with no track notes, and one of them is a great JT ballad, which sounds like it is a 70s album track.
    It starts with some ad lib talking, then proceeds thus:

'I did you wrong, broke your heart and made you cry again,
    and ever since that day you said goodbye, you made me realise,
    darling I love you'

Thank you in advance

Keith

Darlin' I Love You

Super Taylor

1974/Stax

I hope that helps

T.L. Harris

Hey T L, how good is that, an answer in under an hour . Thanks very much.

Keith

Keith, Super Taylor and Taylored In Silk, from around the same time, are both superb albums, with Don Davis at the helm.

Ooooo, I LOVE Johnnie Taylor..

Also excellent is his all but forgotten '77 RCA LP 'REFLECTIONS'. Another Don Davis treat recorded at United Sound, Detroit and Muscle Shoals, Ala. JT also ad-lib raps on the soulful "Stop Half Lovin These Women", several other sweet ballads here. I slept on this one until I came upon a pristine copy a couple years ago at Amoeba SF for $1.99!!

I love JT. I saw him around 89 when he came to London as part of a Malaco tour with Bobby Bland and Denise Lasalle. Little Milton was also supposed to be on the tour but pulled out due to a medical problem. I still think 'Testify' is one of the great soul tracks, and love just about everything he has done. I recently discovered his previously unreleased version of Homer Banks' 'Sixty minutes of your time', and to me it surpasses the original.
    Keith

I am so glad to see that people know him for his southern soul hits more so than for Disco Lady! He was truly the philosopher of soul and lived up to that name. I like Cheaper to Keep Her and I Believe in You.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    I am so glad to see that people know him for his southern soul hits more so than for Disco Lady! He was truly the philosopher of soul and lived up to that name. I like Cheaper to Keep Her and I Believe in You.
    But, that 1976 "Disco Lady" album on Columbia is no slouch! It may be a bit more dance oriented, but still has Johnnie's classic message lyrics. There some great songs on it, including the title track/hit single. The best one is "Running Out Of Lies".

I would also recommend a couple of outstanding tracks from his Beverley Glen album from the early 80s. 'What about my love' and 'Just ain't good enough' are superb tracks.

Stephanie...please I've been trying to forget "Disco Lady" & was almost there...oh well back to rehab. lol

Johnnie T. certainly was the business "Just One Moment" is playing...ah bliss.

I LIKE Disco Lady Mr Soul! It's got a cool groove and doesn't at all sound like the title suggests it might.

Hi Soulwally...if you think "Disco Lady" is one of Johnnie's more significant sides that's fine by me...however don't just like it 'cause it's not as bad as the title suggests.

Mr Soul, I dont think it's one of his most significant sides. I quoted higher up two of his albums I love. And I love his Motown-sounding Hold On This Time. I have the Disco Lady LP, bit haven't played it in Years. I'll have to give it a spin...

"Disco Lady" was a funk song with disco elements thrown in. Whatever, it shot to #1 in the spring of 1976. It proudly stands among his many other hits.

Hi Soulwally...the song is from the album "Eargasm" and is by far the worst song lyrically on the album, furthermore it has not improved with the passing of time, I guess nostalgia not what it used to be. lol

Soulster it's funny how often, an artist's best work is almost always totally ignored by the general public, but they pick up on a substandard piece of music & make it a number. I hope it made Johnnie a lot of money at the time & gained him new fans who checked out his earlier work. I don't rate music on hit status never have never will.

Quote Originally Posted by mr soul View Post
    Hi Soulwally...the song is from the album "Eargasm" and is by far the worst song lyrically on the album, furthermore it has not improved with the passing of time, I guess nostalgia not what it used to be. lol

Soulster it's funny how often, an artist's best work is almost always totally ignored by the general public, but they pick up on a substandard piece of music & make it a number. I hope it made Johnnie a lot of money at the time & gained him new fans who checked out his earlier work. I don't rate music on hit status never have never will.

Well, mr soul, it looks like it's all a matter of opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Well, mr soul, it looks like it's all a matter of opinion.
    Well .. I like "Disco Lady" too.

Presumably soulster is in the U.S.A. where the song got to #1, as has already been mentioned in the thread. In Britain it only reached #25 on the national charts so maybe it isn't "overplayed" here?

Back to Mr Taylor ..

Here are two of my favourites ..

"I'm So Proud" .. from his Beverley Glen period ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6LYT7YRZMY

And ..

"I Believe in You" .. from his later period at Stax ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aAIAwfBYVc

Roger

Probably already covered on the forum before, but this hit "Lola's Theme" by The Shapeshifters samples JT's marvellous "What About My Love". Just proves how great JT's production was!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIC0aQ56ASE

for those of you that like Disco Lady.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3JkEoQ0Cz8

for me it still sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by mr soul View Post
    for those of you that like Disco Lady.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3JkEoQ0Cz8
    for me it still sucks.
    What is it exactly about the song you don't like? I mean, the groove is in the pocket, the guitars are funky, and Mr. Taylor was allowed to not sing about relationships once in a while.

Here's a couple of really good live JT pieces. How good was he ?

Keith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NKCZ...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFuuQ...eature=related

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

When it comes to talking about Mr. Johnnie Harrison Taylor from Dallas, TX by way of Crawfordsville, AK and Kansas City, MO I can say many things, list his many accomplishments, and continue my campaign to get J.T. inducted into the R&R HOF, but I believe Rufus Thomas said it best when speaking about Johnnie. Rufus said "There are some as good, but none better." I find myself standing in agreement with him.

T.L. Harris

Hey TL, I go along with that! So what are your fave JT tracks?

Oh wow....That's a good question:

Well let me start off by saying every song on the following albums:

Taylored In Silk [[1973)
    Super Taylor [[1974)
    Wall To Wall [[1986)

Now, if I can go from there I would say:

If I Had To Do It All Over Again
    Running Outta Lies
    It's September
    Rome Wasn't Built In A Day
    Good Love
    Last Two Dollars
    I Found All These Things
    Stop Giving People Hard Luck Stories
    Lady My Whole World Is You
    Nothing Like A Lady
    Still Crazy

The list can go on and on.....and I didn't even mention the Gospel

I Dreamed That Heaven Was Like This
    Out On A Hill
    When The Gates Swing Open
    The Love Of God
    God Is Standing By......

This could go on and on for days....J.T. was a true classic

T.L. Harris

But, I will say that he was a much better singer when he sang in a lower register.

A few more amazing JT ballads....

We're Getting Careless With Our Love

And I Panicked