[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    One thing that makes it difficult to qualify spending the money and the price is that from the online ad and the comments here as well, I can't really tell what the book is. Is it essays about Motown with photos, or mostly photos? I'm assuming it's not an autobiography by Abrams, but other than that it's really hard to tell what the content consists of. Obviously the photos I've seen are great, like the cover with Tommy Good, but beyond that I don't think the publisher's marketing efforts have been very informative or thorough considering the price and the audience.

To me, the attraction of Hype & Soul is that it is not either a coffee table book full of great photographs and other memorabilia or a piece of fine journalism - it is both. Al writes a series of wow essays about some seminal moments of his time at Motown like taking the first acetate of "Money" to Alan Freed in New York and the Tommy Good March. The essays are illustrated with wonderful images. Al starts the book by explaining how he became Berry Gordy's very first employee at what became Motown and burns through his memories until he left at the end of 1966 and does so in such a vivid way he recreates the era. It really brings home the barriers Motown had to smash through at the time of the Civil Rights Movement; and how Gordy with his steadfast vision, determination and ability as alchemist skills picking and mixing sheer talent together made his dream a reality. Al conjures up such a breathtaking picture with his "I was there" recollections it will make you say "I wish I had been".
    Last edited by Neil Rushton; 09-06-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Just heard from Neil that all advance orders have been shipped today [[Tuesday) from the UK.
    Watch your mailboxes!
    Al

Al, please can Neil and yourself check your mailboxes.

thanks Mike

Just confirming that all orders have been sent out.
    Look forward to your reactions.

Al Abrams' book "Hype And Soul" arrived this morning and I've just emerged from reading it this evening.

I can't give it high enough praise. Full of great photos, a lot of which I'd never seen before, historic newspaper clippings. publicity material, backstage happenings and inside stories of Motown. Gossip and stories about hookers and the seamier side of the music business.

My favourite story - the one that made me chuckle out loud- was the fight between Al and Barrett Strong over a young and attractive girl in one of the audiences at Barrett's show. Let's day that Barrett was the winner of the fight but definitely the loser in the aftermath of his sexual adventure!!

I even loved the bookmark that came with the book.

My only disappointment was that 3 of the pages had slight creases in them which I could have put up with, except that one of them ruins a Vandellas photo and you know how partial I am to that group.

Congratulations all round, I think.

David.

mtowndavid, I'm lookin forward to receiving my copy, so any pix of Mary Wells?

Yes, but one that we've all seen before. A couple of good stories too, especially one which is racially motivated that I've never heard before. Mary is kinda skirted around rather quickly because of her leaving the company. I've had to skim through the book for her photo and have realised that there isn't an index, which will aggravate this ex-English teacher in years to come when I want to find info quickly.
    However, a minor issue, as the book has certainly made a great impression on me.
    It's also printed on lovely shiny paper, which I always appreciate.
    Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by motown_david View Post
    Yes, but one that we've all seen before. A couple of good stories too, especially one which is racially motivated that I've never heard before. Mary is kinda skirted around rather quickly because of her leaving the company. I've had to skim through the book for her photo and have realised that there isn't an index, which will aggravate this ex-English teacher in years to come when I want to find info quickly.
    However, a minor issue, as the book has certainly made a great impression on me.
    It's also printed on lovely shiny paper, which I always appreciate.
    Highly recommended.
    Hey Dave...
    Any new Supremes pics or great stories about the girls?

I spent most of last night reading through the book but eventually fell asleep as it was so late. There is a mountain of stuff in there and all of it, beautifully illustrated and presented. There are superb examples of how Motown was promoted and the hard work spent trying to get the music to the people. This book makes the reader feel as though they were there as it happened and as a staunch Motown follower, it can't get any better than that.

Well done to everyone that was involved in this project. An excellent publication for all music fans.

I'm nont a die-hard Supremes fan, Jeff, but there are pix that I've never seen before and lots of stories too. Photos of Flo as a solo artiste that I've never seen too. I'm going to see my good friend, Barry, today, and he is a hard core Diana fan. I'm sure he will know exactly what has been seen before and so I'll let you know.
    I'm still enthralled with the book.

...a veritable cornucopia of Motown indulgence...!

...every Motown fan should have one...!!

Grape, swallowed a dictionary for breakfast

looking forward to my copy

Mine has arrived and on a quick look through I can say that it looks superb. I look forward to a weekend of reading!

I thought Grape had come up with a new type of Starbucks coffee above

Eamonn

Waaaay Too Expensive

I usually cannot get enough reading material on the history of Motown. However, at an astounding $75.00, it is waaaaaay out of my price range. Though it is impressive that as Head of Publicity he retained so much of that early correspondence, his tenure was very limited. 1964-66 were crucial years, they are hardly long enough to get true, insightful knowledge of what the label was and was going to be. He was gone by the time it reached their first pinnacle of success. In 1968, arguably the label's first banner with year no less than 5 of Billboard's Top 10 singles. But they also had the #1 soundtrack to the top rated Neilsen program, "T.C.B.", along with Top 10 albums from Diana Ross and The Supremes w/The Temptations, Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye. They had graduated from a singles label to now a full length album seller. I guess I am going to have you hedge my bets that a used copy shows up on eBay. This is the most expensive book ever written on Motown to my knowledge. I just don't see the value that a middle management employee who worked only two years, has to offer. I have devoured books on Motown as wide ranging as Dr. Eric Dyson's analysis of Marvin Gaye's art and work to more traditional fare like Berry Gordy's own "To Be Loved". it is unfortunate that Mr. Abrams and his publisher cannot see how the price eliminates a large section of potential readers. Too bad. I would have enjoyed reading a book written from those early years. But Raynoma Singleton, Berry's first wife, already wrote and published a similar book in the early 90s..along with Tony turnip's tome about the early years. If you want to sell any books Mr. Abrams, cut the price in half. If you don't, I'm afraid you will be lucky to sell any outside of your family and friends.

Al, Why so pricey a book? There have been tons of books written on Motown. It is almost prohibitive.

I posted on 4th August "I am optimistic the book is worth every cent [[penny). I placed my order today so I'll find out in due course".

Now in receipt of it, I can confirm it is indeed worth every penny I've invested in it. I'm very aware of the price tag, but it is a very high quality production covering the years when Motown was established, its foundations set and it made its initial breakthroughs on to the world stage. It is an extraordinary collation of photos, artifacts, memorabilia and essays carefully compiled and beautifully presented. In the six plus years Al spent at Motown in pivotal, executive level roles, he had the foresight to collect and safeguard the material which brings this book, and Motown, to life. Priceless!

I'm in Australia so I guess I'll be waiting a few weeks to get mine. 'Til then I will have to live vicariously through the snippets from you guys.

[QUOTE=motown_david;66019]Al Abrams' book "Hype And Soul" arrived this morning and I've just emerged from reading it this evening.

I can't give it high enough praise. Full of great photos, a lot of which I'd never seen before, historic newspaper clippings. publicity material, backstage happenings and inside stories of Motown. Gossip and stories about hookers and the seamier side of the music business.

My favourite story - the one that made me chuckle out loud- was the fight between Al and Barrett Strong over a young and attractive girl in one of the audiences at Barrett's show. Let's day that Barrett was the winner of the fight but definitely the loser in the aftermath of his sexual adventure!!

I even loved the bookmark that came with the book.

My only disappointment was that 3 of the pages had slight creases in them which I could have put up with, except that one of them ruins a Vandellas photo and you know how partial I am to that group.

Congratulations all round, I think.

David.

---------------------------

Thank you for your kind comments.
    Please PM me and we will sort out a replacement copy without any creased pages!

All The Best,

Neil

Thanks to everyone for the great reviews. Much appreciated after all the work that went into this project.
    Re the price issue - the actual price is £34.99. We believe the high quality of the book makes that price realistic. The costs of getting it published led to this price. The first 500 copies include the bonus TMAS single to add extra value.
    The cost to USA customers is based on the pound/dolar exchange rate and the cost of postage and packing, ie we have not priced the book at $75.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    I usually cannot get enough reading material on the history of Motown. However, at an astounding $75.00, it is waaaaaay out of my price range. Though it is impressive that as Head of Publicity he retained so much of that early correspondence, his tenure was very limited. 1964-66 were crucial years, they are hardly long enough to get true, insightful knowledge of what the label was and was going to be. He was gone by the time it reached their first pinnacle of success. In 1968, arguably the label's first banner with year no less than 5 of Billboard's Top 10 singles. But they also had the #1 soundtrack to the top rated Neilsen program, "T.C.B.", along with Top 10 albums from Diana Ross and The Supremes w/The Temptations, Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye. They had graduated from a singles label to now a full length album seller. I guess I am going to have you hedge my bets that a used copy shows up on eBay. This is the most expensive book ever written on Motown to my knowledge. I just don't see the value that a middle management employee who worked only two years, has to offer. I have devoured books on Motown as wide ranging as Dr. Eric Dyson's analysis of Marvin Gaye's art and work to more traditional fare like Berry Gordy's own "To Be Loved". it is unfortunate that Mr. Abrams and his publisher cannot see how the price eliminates a large section of potential readers. Too bad. I would have enjoyed reading a book written from those early years. But Raynoma Singleton, Berry's first wife, already wrote and published a similar book in the early 90s..along with Tony turnip's tome about the early years. If you want to sell any books Mr. Abrams, cut the price in half. If you don't, I'm afraid you will be lucky to sell any outside of your family and friends.
    I'm afraid you have got this wrong regarding Al 's employment at Motown.He was there at the beginning, in fact the FIRST employee at Berry's company.He was promoted between the years 1964-66, so he was there 7 years.[[ from the hard early days to the golden years).From a quick look at the book which I received today, the importance and influence his work had on making Motown successful is totally under estimated.
    From various 'promotion' work I have done [[not professionally) I know first hand how difficult it is to get interest from people who don't know you, have nothing to gain, won't chance waste precious time.Soul destroying work at times.
    This man worked wonders and many fans will thank him once they see the enthusiasm he gave to his work,

Only recently ordered, my copy of the book arrived today along with the Greetings single. It's something that I will keep on picking up and looking at and treasure for a very long time.

Congratulations to Al and all concerned.

I've been over to my Motown buddy's today [[Barry) to share the book with him as his hasn't yet arrived. Despite being a Supremes / Diana Ross fanatic, having thousands of items of memorabilia, records, photos and so on, he was surprised to see things on the group he had never seen before.
    I'm still perusing the book a day later and am loving it. The quality of the paper ensures that every picture is beutifully clear and the info imparted by Al is priceless. Splash out and buy it is my advice. I certainly don't regret one penny of the price.

still waiting for my copy to arrive..no problem with the price whatsoever..

Did anyone receive shipment confirmation before they received the record or book?

I just ordered this past Sunday and haven't heard a thing, other than my Pay Pal confirmation.

I received the 45 about 3 wks ago, if the book shipped Tuesday from the UK maybe I'll get it Monday..I'm in Florida.Really excited about it.

I am getting excited all over again about this book! I cannot wait!!!!

This morning I received an e-mail that my book was shipped 2 days ago. Looking forward to it.

I just moved and everything music & Motown is packed away and won't be unpacked until I am sure I know where every record, CD and book case is going to go. So it will be nice to have something Motown to read while I listen to whatever I have on my iPod while avoiding the chore of unpacking. Yeah for distractions!

I will be requesting this book from my local library.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    Did anyone receive shipment confirmation before they received the record or book?

I just ordered this past Sunday and haven't heard a thing, other than my Pay Pal confirmation.

Your order will have gone out this week, ie the book and record together.

All The Best,

Neil

John Manship who owns the world famous John Manship Records mail order operation is a hard man to please.

He has today on their site described "Hype & Soul" as possibly the best Motown book he has ever read.

Praise indeed!

I am on my way to Detroit right now for my birthday! I will be talking about Hype & Soul to many people including the folks that run the Motown Store at the Detroit Metro Airport!

Have a very happy birthday marv2.

I didn't get the book yet but got the CD quite a while back.

Having ordered months ago[[I got the 45), I'm assuming the book should be here anytime now...

I ordered my copy July 23rd and my VISA card already charged via Paypal. Hope to get the book soon.

Just to confirm ALL orders have gone out.

The books are on the way.

It has gone down very well with UK purchasers, so hopefully it will be get the same reaction from everyone outside the UK who has bought it.

All The Best,

Neil

Many thanks for the replacement book, Neil. Your honesty and thoughtfulness are much appreciated. Once again, I'd like to say to anyone who is wavering about buying the book should just go ahead and buy it. It is more than worth the price.

Al's Book

I cant wait to get Al’s book " Hype and Soul " I am so honored and lucky for Al to have chosen the Tommy Good march photo for his cover. That day was an amazing day, man was I nervous, until I started to sing Baby I miss you. This book will capture what it was like to be at Motown in what was one it’s most successful and exciting times. Al has proven himself to be a man of great intellect, character and honesty. Hey! You could pay more for a good bottle of wine, and in an hour it’s gone. This book you can trust and go too many times to read about some of your favorite artists and producers. I wish my friend Al the best of success with Hype and Soul.
    Tommy Good

Quote Originally Posted by tommy good View Post
    I cant wait to get Al’s book " Hype and Soul " I am so honored and lucky for Al to have chosen the Tommy Good march photo for his cover. That day was an amazing day, man was I nervous, until I started to sing Baby I miss you. This book will capture what it was like to be at Motown in what was one it’s most successful and exciting times. Al has proven himself to be a man of great intellect, character and honesty. Hey! You could pay more for a good bottle of wine, and in an hour it’s gone. This book you can trust and go too many times to read about some of your favorite artists and producers. I wish my friend Al the best of success with Hype and Soul.
    Tommy Good
    I was a few years too young to enjoy your records when they came out, but the Motown Anthology on you is very enjoyable. Love the pop oriented stuff that Motown did. Nice to see your comment here!

I only need to sell 20 or 25 more cases of "Skin So Soft" and I can afford to order this lovely book.

Penny

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Rushton View Post
    John Manship who owns the world famous John Manship Records mail order operation is a hard man to please.

He has today on their site described "Hype & Soul" as possibly the best Motown book he has ever read.

Praise indeed!
    ...I second that emotion...!!

Quote Originally Posted by motown_david View Post
    Many thanks for the replacement book, Neil. Your honesty and thoughtfulness are much appreciated. Once again, I'd like to say to anyone who is wavering about buying the book should just go ahead and buy it. It is more than worth the price.
    Have you considered loaning out the first copy with the creased Vandellas photo to members here who can't afford to buy a copy? I'm sure Penny, luke, marybrewster or Bokiluis would appreciate it and whoever gets the books first could pass it on to the next person and so on and so on with the last person returning it back to you. Just a suggestion.

Random acts of kindness are always rewarded from the heavenly father.

Roberta

I got mine last week & since then I've not had to give it no more than a cursory look through, first impressions GREAT.

Who were the white duo refered to page 78....signed in 1965?

honest man Guest
    could it be THE LEWIS SISTERS.....Cheers.

No...male/female duo, with 'protest' type lyrics.Seems like Berry fancied her.....no surprise there!

Has anyone in the USA recieved their copy of the book yet?

Was the price hefty? Yes. Was the book worth the price? Definetly. It's not just the rare photos, memorabilia, the little great stories that win me over. All these things add up to to more than the sum of the parts, especially in the feeling of actually "being there". It gives you a glimpse into not only Al's everyday but Berry's, the artists, the musicians and so on. I think this book qualifies as one of the better Motown publications from the last couple of years. Congratulations to all concerned!

Tommy, I loved reading the story about the publicity stunt and I'm glad you enjoyed it too! If the "Motown Collection" that featured your recordings not been released the other year, I'd definetly gone out protesting had I know the quality of the recordings beforehand.

Again, thanks! And for those of you on the fence, you'll miss out on a great Motown book.