[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

FINALLY!!! The Long Awaited Book "Hype & Soul" is Ready!

Hello everyone. I could not wait to share this when I heard today that the book "Hype & Soul" is finally ready and available. Written by none other than Al Abrams [[aka Stalebagel) Motown's FIRST employee!

We've all seen and read various books about Motown over the years, but very few that have been written by someone who was actually THERE!!!This is a rare treat that we get perhaps once a decade or so. We will be definitely getting a first hand, eyewitness accounting of the Motown Legend!

I just ordered my copy,..... You can get yours too by following this link:

http://www.soulvation.biz/hypeandsoul.html
    Last edited by marv2; 07-21-2011 at 06:48 PM.

Here is a nice shot of the cover :

You also get that rare limited record with your order....can't beat that with a baseball bat!
    Last edited by marv2; 07-22-2011 at 08:55 AM.

uptight Guest
    Coo-elll..!

Will this be available commercially in the US, or only the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by vcq View Post
    Will this be available commercially in the US, or only the UK?
    vcq it is available commercially here in the the US. I am in New York and have already ordered my copy!

I looked on Amazon and couldn't find it...do you have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by vcq View Post
    I looked on Amazon and couldn't find it...do you have a link?
    Yeah, go to my post at the top of this thread. I put a link there. Click on it and when the new page opens, scroll to about a third of the way down and click on the down arrow just above the "Order Now" gold button and select "Rest of the World" @ 44.99

Just ordered mine, bit of a wait until September though!

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    Just ordered mine, bit of a wait until September though!
    I can tell you now, this one should be well worth it!

Thanks, Marv! But, Amazon should have it soon. It will be cheaper for we U.S. customers...as long as congress gets their act together and does their job!
    Last edited by soulster; 07-22-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Thanks, Marv! But, Amazon should have it soon. It will be cheaper for we U.S. customers...as long as congress gets their act together and does their job!
    I hope so too [[that our Congress gets their act together), but I have to believe Hell will freeze over first!

Crossing my fingers that Ammy gets it..I want to order a copy for my local library as well :-)

Hope this clarifies how to order Hype & Soul in the US

Thanks Marv and everyone else for your interest in my book, Hype & Soul. At the moment the only way to order it is via www.soulvation.biz --- there are no immediate plans to sell via Amazon. The pre-publication deal is a very good one as my UK publishers are only charging £10 [[$16) postage, whereas the actual postage price post- publication will be in the region of £17 [[$27). Also, ordering now is the only sure way to get the free TMAS single. I will be doing book signings and I am looking forward to meeting many of my Soulful Detroit friends in person. And yes, September seems like a long time to wait, but I've ben waiting for 52 years to share these stories with Motown fans. Please feel free to e-mail me if anyone has any questions. And thanks again!

Congratulations, Al. This was a long time coming. Best of luck with it. Keep us up to date.

Well done Al. You've already corrected a few misconceptions on here! I bought!

I got my record already! *SMILE*

You deserve to be pinned down and required to serve pennance.

This "pennance"....is he over 6 foot tall and built like a brick sh*t house?

If he is, no problem!

*LOL*

LOL indeed.

Let's just say "he's big".

Hi, thanks for the info . Have really been waiting for this book to be released. I did order my copy and today I got the Greetings single - great
    ULF-Stockholm

My TMAS single has arrived :-)

...my disc came too ...together with Neil Rushton's book ...Northern Soul Stories

Grape,

When did you order your copy ? and was the Northern soul stories book a freebie?
    I haven't recived my 45 yet.

My CD arrived............all the way to Canada; I never get mail from The Royal Mail!

I ordered mine..

ladonna Guest
    How much does this translate to in American dollars?

If you go to this site, you can convert any foreign currency into US dollars. I use it all the time. http://coinmill.com/
    Just paste it in your browser.

so when exactly can I expect my goodies?

Jimi:
    You should be getting your vinyl. Those are shipped immediately upon receipt of your order. As you can see on this thread, some people have already received them. I have no idea where you are located.
    The book is printed. The dust jacket is printed. The book awaits binding.
    The blog gives the publication date as September 1. Have you visited the blog at: http://hypeandsoul.blogspot.com/
    You might want to check it out from time to time.
    Thanks,
    Al

Al, Mary Wilson sends her regards and thanks to you.

Marv

Thanks Marv, that's great to hear. She's one of my all-time favorite people. Wish I could have seen and heard her. She's going to love the book.

ladonna Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stalebagel View Post
    If you go to this site, you can convert any foreign currency into US dollars. I use it all the time. http://coinmill.com/
    Just paste it in your browser.

As of today's date, this translates into $97.61 cents?! That seems overpriced to me. Thanks for the link, however.

Ladonna:
    I just went to coin mill and it came back with $73.21 and NOT $97.61. Please check it again.
    Thanks,
    Al

ladonna Guest
    Oh, my bad, I accessed the link with the Northern Soul stories offer, which is listed at £59.98 GBP; that's the discrepancy.

smark21 Guest
    $97.61 or $73.21--both too expensive for a book. I'll wait until it pops up at a library.

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    Grape,

When did you order your copy ? and was the Northern soul stories book a freebie?
    I haven't recived my 45 yet.
    Dickie ...3 books are advertised in the main thread

http://www.soulvation.biz/hypeandsoul.html

...the other 2 are half-price ...if you order them at the same time as ordering Hype & Soul

...I ordered mine last weekend ...and the NS Stories book and the 45 came within 2 days...

Thanks Grape.

You'll enjoy Neil's Northern Soul Stories. I did!

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    $97.61 or $73.21--both too expensive for a book. I'll wait until it pops up at a library.
    I agree smark21. I can't fork out $73 for a book in this economy. I'd rather spend that money on a good pedicure to make my feet feel real pretty.

Like you I will look for Mr. Abrams book in my local library.

I don't know if the book is hard cover, nor do I know the weight, but I am optimistic the book is worth every cent [[penny). I placed my order today so I'll find out in due course.

However the postage and the exchange rate are a major issue for the US folks...... at todays exchange rate of $1.633, postage to the US is $16.33 alone.....even sent from the UK to a UK address it's £5 [[$8.165) which may be high depending on the weight of the book.... whilst nothing can be done about the exchange rate which has just moved the wrong way for the US guys, I would suggest the postage rates are urgently reviewed as they are very significant and might be trimmed especially for the US folks...

Weighing in -- so to speak -- on my book

The book is hard cover and has 288 pages.
    I've passed your concerns on to the publishers. My understanding is that they're already taking a hit on actual postage costs for the pre-publication copies from the UK. Also the costs will go up once the book is published.
    I definitely think the book trumps a pedicure, unless one is really in dire need of foot care.
    Cheers,
    Al

Al, I don't doubt is it worth much more than a pedicure, will last a hell of a lot longer and be infinitely more rewarding, hence why I bought it and deleted Groupon's flaming invite for a fish pedicure everyday....LOL

Thanks for the confirmation it is hardcover, which of course means it is going to be considerably heavier than a paperback...it will grace any coffee table....

Re the postage, a straightforward review will suffice, as it will address the issue for the US guys.

I have to say that I am quite humbled that the book went with a UK publisher. Motown commands high respect in the UK and as a Brit, I regard it as an honour.

BTW, I've bought 2 books....my thinking being that if I get one for each eye, then I can read it twice as quick!! LOL

the boy, I concur re the UK publisher...someone made a decision based upon commitment and commercial investment....

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Al, I don't doubt is it worth much more than a pedicure, will last a hell of a lot longer and be infinitely more rewarding, hence why I bought it and deleted Groupon's flaming invite for a fish pedicure everyday....LOL

Thanks for the confirmation it is hardcover, which of course means it is going to be considerably heavier than a paperback...it will grace any coffee table....

Re the postage, a straightforward review will suffice, as it will address the issue for the US guys.
    OMG! Mike! LOL!!!!!

marv2, you should see my feet.... my wife thinks they are pretty....Ever met a wife who thinks their husbands feet are pretty? She tells me , "You don't need no groupon fishes for £9.99 eating your dead skin off your toes, buy me a burger" . Ain't I lucky!!!!!!!
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 08-04-2011 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    marv2, you should see my feet.... my wife thinks they are pretty....Ever met a wife who thinks their husbands feet are pretty? She tells me , "You don't need no groupon fishes for £9.99 eating your dead skin off your toes, buy me a burger" . Ain't I lucky!!!!!!!

You have me sitting here crying, hehehehehe......but you're right! LOL!@

I can't wait until September.........!!!!!

I'm the co-publisher of the book and I just wanted to post and say thank you to everyone who has pre-ordered it.
    The arrangement with Al was made last February in Ann Arbor, so getting this far has been a real marathon, but I think when everyone sees the final book they will agree that all the hard work has been more than worthwhile.
    The very first vague idea was to publish unreleased photographs from Al's vast Motown archives. Then we moved on to combining this with a collection of his Hitsville press releases. After getting to understand what Al had done, what kind of guy he is, and what an incredible archive he accumulated from his days at Motown, we decided to go for a book containing essays from Al about his experiences at Motown, and surround these with the photos, press releases, rare documents and other artefacts.
    Al sent over such a mind-boggling set of material that sorting out and then deciding what to use, and what not to [[!), became very time consuming. The result is amazing. I say that not because of me being co-publisher, but as a fan.
    We told Al in Ann Arbor that we would do our best to make sure he would be proud of the book, and we are very happy indeed that he is delighted with what we came up with.
    It was a major honour to have the chance to work on something like this, but also a daunting one too.
    The books pages and cover have been printed, and we are now waiting for the printer to find a slot to bind them together.
    A lot of our orders have come via interest from the Soulful Detroit Music Forum and that show of faith is much appreciated.
    Re queries about postage, we have deliberately charged less on pre-orders for shipping to the USA than the actual cost to us. Our retail price is £34.99 and we think this is realistic. Amazon in the UK have picked up on the book coming out from our ISBN registration and are advertising it at £29.99 but the fact is we will not be supplying Amazon.Just as I did with my book "Northern Soul Stories" the intention is to handle the online sales ourselves via www.soulvation.biz
    The costs involved means we cannot afford to let the likes of Amazon have it and discount it down. We would simply not get our investment back at at the prices they would want to buy from us.
    Maybe if we get to a 2nd edition reprint we would look again at this, but when people get to see the limited Ist edition - luxury hardback, dust cover, full colour,quality paper - they will hopefully understand that we have gone for excellence all the way. And of course whether or not we get to a 2nd edition depends on the Ist being a success!
    The first 500 copies only of the book will come with the Tamla Motown Apreciation Society 45. We thought this was a good choice as it was put together to commemorate Dave Godin's trip to Motown in 1964 that led to the formation of an actual Tamla Motown label outsdie the USA. As a fellow Brit, Dave is a hero of ours, and as Al was involved with arranging for Dave to make that historic trip it all fitted together. Perhaps a good example of the detail that the book goes into [[thanks to Al never throwing anything away!) is that it contains not just a letter from Dave to Al, but also the envelope it came in!
    The graphics, from Glenn Gunton, are stunning and make a lovely surround for Al's essays. One of my jobs was to coax Al re the essays, and come up with the occasional editorial suggestion, and Al more than supplied the goods.

All The Best,

Neil
    Last edited by Neil Rushton; 08-22-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: literals

Looking forward to it, rec'd the 45 a couple of weeks ago & love it.