[REMOVE ADS]

blinky's free at last!

i dont know if i've missed a thread on this,couldnt find one!
    reel music is releasing a blinky cd,IT'S SUNNY AND WARM plus 2 bunus tracks for a nov or early 2011 release
    track listing
    i wouldnt change the man he is
    rescue me
    how you gonna keep it
    this man of mine
    it's gonna be always
    how long has the evening train been gone
    shine on me
    for once in my life
    i'll always love you
    is there a place
    this time last summer
    your love is worth waiting for
    bonus tracks
    oh how happy [[with edwin starr)
    you get a tangle in your lifeline
    14 tracks in all,
    cant be bad
    i got the info from motown treasures

...many thanks tamla617 for posting this ...Paul Williams has pulled out all the stops to get this off the ground ...here's more of his message from the Motown Treasures site...

http://tinyurl.com/34o47o8

"Reel Music is pleased to announce the release of the first ever CD [[or LP for that matter) by the legendary Blinky Williams ...it's ...Sunny And Warm ...with two bonus tracks ...Keith Hughes of dftmc has done all the annotations and there will be much more info in the booklet ...at this point, we're hoping for a late November release, but it might be early in 2011 ...but the good news is that it's finally going to be released! ...more info to follow - Paul"

Here's a little more info on these mouth-watering tracks...

1 I Wouldn't Change The Man He Is
    [[Nickolas Ashford-Valerie Simpson)
    Produced by Nickolas Ashford, Frank Wilson

2 Rescue Me
    [[Carl Smith-Raynard Miner)
    Produced by Raynard Miner

3 How You Gonna Keep It [[After You Get It)
    [[Valerie Simpson-Nickolas Ashford)
    Produced by Valerie Simpson, Nickolas Ashford
    Arranged by Paul Riser

4 This Man Of Mine
    [[Clay McMurray)
    Produced by Clay McMurray
    Arranged by Paul Riser

5 It's Gonna Be Always
    [[Al Hamilton-Norma Jean Toney)
    Produced by Al Kent

6 How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone
    [[Frank Wilson-Pamela Sawyer)
    Produced by Frank Wilson

7 Shine On Me
    [[Frank Wilson)
    Produced by Frank Wilson

8 For Once In My Life
    [[Ronald Miller-Orlando Murden)
    Produced by Frank Wilson

9 I'll Always Love You
    [[William Stevenson-Ivy Jo Hunter)
    Produced by Hal Davis

10 Is There A Place [[In His Heart For Me)
    [[Clay McMurray-Marty Coleman)

11 This Time Last Summer
    [[Jim Webb)
    Produced by Hal Davis
    Arranged by Gene Page

12 Your Love Was Worth Waiting For
    [[Pamela Sawyer-Gloria Jones)
    Produced by Bobby Taylor

Bonus tracks:

13 Oh How Happy - Blinky & Edwin Starr
    [[Charles Hatcher)
    Produced by Billie-Jean Brown, Frank Wilson
    Arranged by Jerry Long

14 You Get A Tangle In Your Lifeline
    [[Clay McMurray-Carolyn Plummer)
    Arranged by Tom Baird

...I really can't wait for this one ...it's been such a long time coming ...and it's all down to everyone who've campaigned over the past decade to FREE BLINKY! ...Blinky Williams ...you're FREE AT LAST! ...and a very BIG thank you to Paul Williams at Reel Music...

Last edited by grapevine; 08-21-2010 at 06:06 AM.

No one is more excited than me about Blinky's release on Reel Music...it IS about TIME!. She is such an extraordinary singer [[STILL!) and such a special lady. This track list is surprising and wonderful. But I am also puzzled by a couple of tracks missing from this set...
    "T'Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do" [[the complete track from "Lady Sings the Blues", which was released on 45 rpm), and "For Your Precious Love" [[a beautiful cover of Jerry Butler's hit available in an edited form and a long form in a studio medley with the incredible "He's Gone"). Just wondering. It may just be that there might be vague future plans for Universal to release a more complete collection.

Hi John, I can assure you that UMe have no plans to release anything on Blinky. Thankfully Paul Williams stepped in, approached HW and saved the day. This is actually the unreleased album 'Sunny & Warm' for which a master tape existed along with 2 bonus tracks both of which have already been remastered & released. Reel Music have done us proud so I just hope that it sells in large numbers as leasing music is not cheap. I know that you are as excited as I am that Blinky as finally been relesased from the vaults.
    Last edited by copley; 08-21-2010 at 07:43 AM.

copley....thanks! Imagine...the complete album in master tape form just sitting in those good ol' Motown vaults.....sitting....starving....
    Thank goodness for Reel!

Yes indeed John, just think of all those Motown Treasures still sitting in the vaults, waiting, hoping!

Of the titles listed for this release, all are familiar except one- "It's Gonna Be Always" .
    As Jean Terrell recorded lead for three released Al Kent productions [[ two utilized on 'Right On'), 'Wait A Minute Before You Leave Me' and 'You Move Me' [[both with Al Hamilton as a songwriter, joined by Norma Jean Toney & William Garrett on the former, and William Garrett only on the latter) and 'You've Got To Pay The Price' [[Albert Hamilton- Hermon Weems) included on A Cellarful Of Motown! Vol 2.... is it possible that Jean also recorded 'It's Gonna Be Always'?
    Paul Williams ,
    Are you able to shed any light upon this as you are working on the annotations?

Im so pleased with this news! At last! We should all give thanks to REEL, and also ACE for getting these recordings out! Glora Jones, Chris Clark,Satintones...whats next The Monitors??

Cant wait to hear a WHOLE albums worth of THAT fantastic voice! The ONE & ONLY BLINKY....Paulo xxxxxxx

Hello again, this is my first reply on the new created "soulfuldetroit forum" and it´s escpecially for the great Blinky!

I´m very excited about the news, it´s nice to hear that Blinky sang "How long has that evening train been gone" maybe she did better as Diana did. But I don´t say that Diana did it bad, it´s one of my favorite album track of "Love child". But I think Blinky have a good chance to give the song another soul as Diana, I´m very curious.

I´m a little bit sad that this cd not contains "Money that´s what I want" and Tammi & Marvin´s "Your precious love", but this single would be contain on the last "TCMS"

Jan, Blinky never recorded M&T's 'Your Precious Love'. The track is 'For Your Precious Love' which is the Jerry Butler song. It and 'Money' are not included because they were not part of the album 'Sunny & Warm'. As you say both will be on TCMS12.

Thank you for the correction. I never heard the song "For your precious love". But I thought there were two unreleased Blinky albums. Is that correct??? Maybe on the other album "Money" including? Or was it only a single release?

Blinky had at least 4 album releases scheduled but they were not necessarily 4 different albums! As far as I'm aware 'Sunny And Warm' is the only title for which a master tape existed.

Motown 712 - Sunny And Warm - 1970 [[N/R)
    Soul 735 - Soft And Warm - 1971 [[N/R)
    MoWest 111 - Blinky - 1972 [[N/R)
    Motown 770 - Softly - 1973 [[N/R)

This is Jerry's version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMJTb5yzCM8

and my own fav Linda Jones version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY7fZ95XfMY

Hi Copley

I think you're right about 4 unreleased albums. But I think the intended title for Soul 735 was same as Motown 712. The Label Copy for unreleased 45 S35089 says IN ALBUM "SUNNY AND WARM" S735L.

I'm curious to know why you think MoWest 111 was to be titled "Blinky". Neither of her MoWest 45s refer to this album on the label, and there's no Label Copy for such an album, though there's enough evidence to suggest that a MoWest album was indeed planned for her. Doubtless it would have included both sides of her MoWest singles.

No Label Copy exists for Motown 770, though we know from the label of 45 M1233 that the track list would have included both sides of that single.

Keith

Hi Keith. Soul 735 - Soft And Warm - 1971 [[N/R) & Motown 770 - Softly - 1973 [[N/R) are both listed as such in 'Motown The History' by Sharon Davis. MoWest 111 - Blinky - 1972 [[N/R) is on a spreadsheet of mine but the source of the info is lost in the mists of time!

I'd have expected the title of MoWest 111 to have included the word "Bizniss"! They must have expected that single to be a huge hit - the only MoWest 45 to be issued in a pic sleeve, I believe.

The number of unissued MoWest singles and albums indicates to me a complete lack of label management. But in 1972, I think that the promotional and administrative arms of the company were still based in Detroit, and doubtless the staff there were still hoping they wouldn't have to re-locate or, worse still, lose their jobs. It wasn't in their interest that MoWest should be a success ... but someone who was around at the time [[Ralph?) may have another story to tell ...

Keith,
    Since you've popped in here, might you be so kind as to address a question I posed above [[although directed to Paul Williams of Reel Music).
    Is there a version of 'It's Gonna Be Always' with Jean Terrell's lead vocals in the vaults?
    Thanks.

Somebody should go searching for an outtake of Nobody's Business.......the Lady cut; there must be one or must have been one; I suppose it's owned by some other entity even if it exists. That cut was the one, at least to me, that made Blinky a "star".

pj1, I haven't come across a version of that song by Jean Terrell. The track was originally assigned to the Vandellas, but it looks as though they never cut vocals on it.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Somebody should go searching for an outtake of Nobody's Business.......the Lady cut; there must be one or must have been one; I suppose it's owned by some other entity even if it exists. That cut was the one, at least to me, that made Blinky a "star".
    Rob...an outake? "Ain't nobody's Business..." by Blinky WAS released as a 45RPM. I have a copy.

Mowest 5033 - T'ain't Nobody's Bizness If I Do / What More Can I Do – 1973

...here's the picture sleeve

Attachment 443

Grape

The attachment doesn't seem to work.

It should be OK now

Name:  Biz.jpg
Views: 1958
Size:  41.5 KB

About all the unreleased MOWEST 45s and albums scheduled in the U.S., and given catalogue numbers, Terry Wilson covers this quite well in his book Tamla Motown, the stories behind the uk Singles. Thats how The Commodores, Thelma Houston, The Sisters Love etc, were slowly transfered over to the MOTHER label. SEE, I do know a LITTLE bit about the music I love.LOL..PAULO XXX

Looking at the track list, it looks as though there are a lot of songs that The Supremes later covered. Does anyone knows who's versions were first?

Two Questions:

1. "Where" and "when" should we start looking for Blinky's Sunny and Warm CD to be released?

2. When this CD was first "announced" a couple of weeks ago, there was mention that a second Blinky CD would be forthcoming and that we would hear more soon. Have I missed anything?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by longtimefan; 09-18-2010 at 12:35 AM.

Blinky Release Information

"Sunny And Warm" will be released in mid-February 2011. I'm sorry that the wait is quite long.

There's a lot of work to be done on the booklet and art research. I've spoken with Blinky a couple of times in the last week or so and we're going to be spending a lot of time making sure her story is told right and in her own words.

The second album will be released about eight or so months later. Although this means almost a year from now, I don't want it to get lost in the shuffle. This is Blinky's shot at getting some recognition at last as an album act and I want to be able to build on the interest on the first album and raise her profile as best I can before going with the second one.

The two albums are very different - "Sunny And Warm" is what I'd term a traditional Motown LP from the period, the second is totally different and shows incredible maturity and 'ahead-of-its-time-ness' [[if there is such a word!!)

For instance, if you remember how revolutionary Millie Jackson's rap in "If Loving You Is Wrong" was in 1974, Blinky does something similar which pre-dates it by a couple of years. It's on the 9 minute version of "He's Gone / For Your Precious Love". One great line goes something like..... I hope she's a better lover than me ... but I doubt it!

On a totally different note, if anyone has any memorabilia that could be used in the booklet for either release and is kind enough to let us use it, please contact me off-forum
    to let me know what you have.

Thanks - Paul - Reel Musuc

...fantastic news Paul ...2 BLINKY's ...well worth the wait...!

Grape

Paul,

Thank you for the quick and comprehensive answer to my questions about Blinky's upcoming CDs. I look forward to supporting Reel Music's efforts with these and other products. Your "music" is appreciated!

The inclusion of You Get A Tangle In Your Lifeline makes it all worthwhile for me!!! I have the USA 45, but it is buckled... it's a wonderful song and very tasteful production... well, we're talking Mr. McMurray, aren't we?

Did anyone buy this CD? How was it?

Marv, it never came out! The company went under at the 11th hour

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Marv, it never came out! The company went under at the 11th hour
    Are you kidding me? I wonder what happened to the recordings?

Marv, they have all been remastered and are just sitting there!

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Marv, they have all been remastered and are just sitting there!
    Amazing! They are sitting there waiting to get older and waiting for those of us that know of Blinky's ,music to no longer be around. Good business sense.

As I recall, Blinky eventually did some gospel recordings. What a shame it is that her Motown solo albums were always shelved. That bad luck seems to have followed her to this day! We're lucky we have her album with Edwin Starr, which I like a lot.

I remember buying the [[4th?) Motown Revue album and being surprised that it included several songs by Blinky [[who at the time I had never heard of) and some other songs by the second or third tier acts at Motown. Now I'm very grateful that we have those recordings.

She certainly deserved better. Hopefully these masters will eventually see the light of day. Let's hope.

...from Blinky's gospel album ...as Sondra Williams ...Hark The Voice...

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...hark+the+voice

...some of Blinky's Motown recordings...

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...illiams+motown

...still not FREE...

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I remember buying the [[4th?) Motown Revue album and being surprised that it included several songs by Blinky ...and some other songs by the second or third tier acts at Motown....
    https://www.discogs.com/Various-Moto...elease/3957598

...Stevie Wonder ...Gladys Knight & The Pips ...The Temptations...???

Quote Originally Posted by grapevine View Post
    https://www.discogs.com/Various-Moto...elease/3957598

...Stevie Wonder ...Gladys Knight & The Pips ...The Temptations...???

Hey grapevine, I think kenneth might be talking about The Originals and Bobby Taylor, not The Tempts and Stevie! I too was pleasantly surprised to see that these lesser-known acts got a spot on the Motortown Revue.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey grapevine, I think kenneth might be talking about The Originals and Bobby Taylor, not The Tempts and Stevie! I too was pleasantly surprised to see that these lesser-known acts got a spot on the Motortown Revue.
    Yes, that's what I meant. I am especially thankful for the rarity of any Blinky recordings. And not to diminish the Originals or Bobby Taylor but they were not in the forefront of Motown, so it's true, I was pleasantly surprised to find them on the album.

The other weird thing about the album is the cover has to be from a Motown Revue from several years prior! Of course, I love the cover, with the old lurid yellow Fox Theatre marquee. It's much nicer now following the restoration, but it's the big yellow marquee that I remember - usually advertising movies like "99 Women" and "The Corpse Grinders!"

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Yes, that's what I meant. I am especially thankful for the rarity of any Blinky recordings. And not to diminish the Originals or Bobby Taylor but they were not in the forefront of Motown, so it's true, I was pleasantly surprised to find them on the album.

The other weird thing about the album is the cover has to be from a Motown Revue from several years prior! Of course, I love the cover, with the old lurid yellow Fox Theatre marquee. It's much nicer now following the restoration, but it's the big yellow marquee that I remember - usually advertising movies like "99 Women" and "The Corpse Grinders!"
    I think the cover photo on that album is from the 1964 Xmas Motown Revue. When I saw this album in a cut-out bin, it was the names like Supremes, Miracles, and Tempts on the marquee that made me purchase it. Even though you can't really see those names on the front, they are more visible on the back.

I didn't bother really looking at the track listing until I got home. Only then did I discover that they weren't on it. But I loved Gladys Knight and the Pips anyway so it wasn't a total loss, and I ended up loving Blinky's tracks as well.
    Last edited by reese; 06-21-2017 at 01:35 PM.

Figured it was appropriate to bump this up, now that Blinky truly is “free at last”!