[REMOVE ADS]

Question Luvel Broadnax - information needed

Hello,

Who can tell me something about Luvel Broadnax? Was this the same person as Morris Broadnax, or a relative of Morris, or a pseudonym for someone else? [[I've read all three of these things online today, but none of them from a reliable source).

There are a fair few online resources discussing Morris - obituaries, a great interview from Classic Motown and a fine in-depth profile on Soulwalking [[complete with photos) - none of which mention Luvel at all.

Any and all information gratefully received!

I have seen some articles based around Clarence Paul where Luvel is mentioned. Try some searches under Clarence...particularly in the archives on SDF

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  21.1 KB
    Morris Ervin Broadnax was his given name. Luvel must have been a nickname, and his credits changed to "Luvel" Broadnax about 1/2 way through his career. He was born in 1931.

He started with Motown in 1961, signed an exclusive contract as a songwriter. He had been sent to Motown by his friends, The Four Tops, to try out for a singing contract. They liked his songs a lot better than his singing. On You-Tube there is an interview with him. As the "new writer", Berry Gordy assigned him to work with Little Stevie Wonder, as the others didn't want to work with him. He teamed up with Clarence Paul [[Wonder's producer). He was the one who first encouraged Stevie to write songs, and helped him start out. He later worked also with Hank Cosby and Sylvia Moy. He wrote songs for most of the more known Motown acts, including The Miracles, Temptations, Mary Wells, Four Tops, Gladys Knight and The Pips, etc. With The Clarence Paul crew, it was Broadnax's job to overdub the lead and background vocals. He wrote "Just A little Misunderstanding" -the Contours, "I Miss You, Baby"-Marv Johnson, many songs for Stevie Wonder and The Four Tops.

On Google you can find some links to info about him. He worked with Motown from 1961-1969, when he started working as an independent songwriter, working with Aretha Franklin [[whose family he had known for many years). He had written "Till You Come Back To Me" [[along with Stevie Wonder and Clarence Paul) for Stevie, but offered it to Aretha [[for whom it became a big hit).
    Broadnax was the one most instrumental in trying to start a Motown Alumni Association, in 1989. It didn't start until 1995. He died in 2009.
    Last edited by robb_k; 07-22-2011 at 04:09 AM.

Wow! Robb K, get down! That is some really excellent, detailed information that helps me very much understand who Mr. Broadnax was. There was a huge family named Broadnax living in Toledo that I knew, I wonder now if he may have been related.

Views: 735
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Wow! Robb K, get down! That is some really excellent, detailed information that helps me very much understand who Mr. Broadnax was. There was a huge family named Broadnax living in Toledo that I knew, I wonder now if he may have been related.
    It's a VERY rare name. I'm sure there must be a relationship in some way.

Views: 708
    Here's a link to an interview with Mr. Broadnax by his nephew. It was made not so long before he died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1P_4...feature=relmfu

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 735

It's a VERY rare name. I'm sure there must be a relationship in some way.
    Is a rare name. By the way Snoop Dogg the rapper, his surname is also Broadnax and his family originated in Mississippi before migrating to California. The Broadnax family in Toledo were also from Mississipppi.......hmmmmm......

Wow, thanks Robb - very much appreciated. I had seen some of the information about Morris, but wanted confirmation that he and "Luvel" were the same person - one of the old SFD threads I looked at categorically stated "Luvel" was Morris' brother, and another site somewhere said "Luvel" was a pseudonym for some other Jobete writer who liked Morris' name. Brilliant stuff, thank you!

Marv: A fine theory, but Snoop's real name is Calvin Broadus, not Broadnax.

Quote Originally Posted by radionixon View Post
    Wow, thanks Robb - very much appreciated. I had seen some of the information about Morris, but wanted confirmation that he and "Luvel" were the same person - one of the old SFD threads I looked at categorically stated "Luvel" was Morris' brother, and another site somewhere said "Luvel" was a pseudonym for some other Jobete writer who liked Morris' name. Brilliant stuff, thank you!

Marv: A fine theory, but Snoop's real name is Calvin Broadus, not Broadnax.
    Hey Calvin, another big thank you to you!!

Interesting interview - maybe when Gladys Knight & The Pips' Lost & Found is finally released can we hear 'Baby My Love Is Shown'!

response to info on Luvel Broadnax needed!

Quote Originally Posted by radionixon View Post
    Hello,

Who can tell me something about Luvel Broadnax? Was this the same person as Morris Broadnax, or a relative of Morris, or a pseudonym for someone else? [[I've read all three of these things online today, but none of them from a reliable source).

There are a fair few online resources discussing Morris - obituaries, a great interview from Classic Motown and a fine in-depth profile on Soulwalking [[complete with photos) - none of which mention Luvel at all.

Any and all information gratefully received!

Hello My name Jon Maurice Broadnax Sr. and i am the son of Morris Ervin Broadnax! FYI Luvel Broadnax was not another name for my Father it was my Mother's name whom was a writer herself, whom chosed to stay out of the lights and fame. she passed away in 1992 however she was the voice behind many of her husband [[my father) songs! So Now you know the facts about whom Luvel Broadnax really was! Thanks for your inquiry about my parents, both great writers and wonderful human beings! Jon m. Broadnax Sr.

Here's a link to an interview with Mr. Broadnax by his nephew. It was made not so long before he died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1P_4...feature=relmfu

James M. [[Jim Jam) the interviewer of this piece is actually my oldest Brother, long story however look at a picture of james and a picture of his father [[ my father ) and that's all that needs to be said on that topic! James is no longer with us either!! he has a story of his own, he was one of the first people to wear dredlocks before society even knew what they were! both pioneers in their own rights!

Jon M. Broadnax Sr.
    Last edited by Kasanovajon; 06-01-2017 at 06:26 PM.

Hi Jon, thanks for your posts, and for clearing things up. Interesting stuff. Your parents were great songwriters!

Quote Originally Posted by Kasanovajon View Post
    Hello My name Jon Maurice Broadnax Sr. and i am the son of Morris Ervin Broadnax! FYI Luvel Broadnax was not another name for my Father it was my Mother's name whom was a writer herself, whom chosed to stay out of the lights and fame. she passed away in 1992 however she was the voice behind many of her husband [[my father) songs! So Now you know the facts about whom Luvel Broadnax really was! Thanks for your inquiry about my parents, both great writers and wonderful human beings! Jon m. Broadnax Sr.
    Thank you for the follow up and sharing that information Jon.

Views: 476
    Yes, thanks for taking the time and effort to post here to set us straight. We always appreciate hearing from the people who were insiders, and were involved in making the history.

Mum not dad..

Just a little misunderstanding.

When I first looked at this thread, I drew a complete blank. Thinking, who in the world is this?

So after reading the responses thus far, I decided to check Graham Bett's Motown Encyclopedia which details the following.

Morris Broadnax

Born in Detroit, Michigan on 2/9/1931, Morris Ervin Broadnax auditioned for Mickey Stevenson in 1961 as a singer. Whilst Mickey did not think much of him as a vocalist, he did like the songs he performed, all of which were Morris' own compositions, so Mickey offered him a job as a staff writer for Jobete. Morris mainly worked with Clarence Paul and Stevie Wonder, helping compose such hits as Until You Come Back To [[That's What I'm Gonna Do), later a massive hit for Aretha Franklin, Just a Little Misunderstanding [[a hit for the Contours) and All I Do, which Stevie eventually included on his Hotter Than July album. Morris remained at Motown until 1969 and tried to organize the first Motown Alumni Association in 1989 but gave up due to lack of interest at the time. He died from congestive heart failure on 2/17/2009.
    Last edited by woodward; 06-02-2017 at 10:05 AM.

My Father

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    When I first looked at this thread, I drew a complete blank. Thinking, who in the world is this?

So after reading the responses thus far, I decided to check Graham Bett's Motown Encyclopedia which details the following.

Morris Broadnax

Born in Detroit, Michigan on 2/9/1931, Morris Ervin Broadnax auditioned for Mickey Stevenson in 1961 as a singer. Whilst Mickey did not think much of him as a vocalist, he did like the songs he performed, all of which were Morris' own compositions, so Mickey offered him a job as a staff writer for Jobete. Morris mainly worked with Clarence Paul and Stevie Wonder, helping compose such hits as Until You Come Back To [[That's What I'm Gonna Do), later a massive hit for Aretha Franklin, Just a Little Misunderstanding [[a hit for the Contours) and All I Do, which Stevie eventually included on his Hotter Than July album. Morris remained at Motown until 1969 and tried to organize the first Motown Alumni Association in 1989 but gave up due to lack of interest at the time. He died from congestive heart failure on 2/17/2009.

This is a part of the truth about my dad, however it does not address who he was nor what he did with his life!

Quote Originally Posted by Kasanovajon View Post
    This is a part of the truth about my dad, however it does not address who he was nor what he did with his life!
    Please tell us more about your father.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    I have seen some articles based around Clarence Paul where Luvel is mentioned. Try some searches under Clarence...particularly in the archives on SDF
    ...I don't see the archives on SDF anymore xtown ...elsewhere mentioned they were wiped in a server change or similar move...! :[[

Grape