[REMOVE ADS]

The Unsung documentaries

After following the links on here I watched a couple of the Unsung documentaries on YouTube... and loved em.

It's the sort of serious musical appreciation we rarely see on British TV [[apart from the occasional BBC4 documentary). And the artists featured on the Unsung series would never get a look in on UK TV.

I commend them to anyone who hasn't watched them. They're put together with care [[apart from the odd mistake in narration), and the interviews tell us things we sometimes didnt know about the stars' private lives and personalities.

The O'Jays episode was tremendous with Eddie and Walt [[both still very good-looking guys) speaking with great honesty about life on the road. I saw what were then Johnnie Wilder's Chicago Heatwave at a tiny club in Lancashire in the early 70s [[they were brilliant, although an odd-looking ensemble at the time) so enjoyed that one. despite all the tragic tales I had nothing but admiration for Keith Wilder. The Tammi one was excellent too, with a particular to Ashford and Simpson, who spoke with great insight and intelligence about Tammi. And Val gave the lie to the ridiculous claims that Tammi didn't sing on the final album with Marvin.

It's Deniece Williams next for me, and then I think I'll watch the Spinners again!

O'Jays
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx2RlcEuiMw

This link will introduce anybody who hasn't seen them yet to the rest of them.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    After following the links on here I watched a couple of the Unsung documentaries on YouTube... and loved em.

It's the sort of serious musical appreciation we rarely see on British TV [[apart from the occasional BBC4 documentary). And the artists featured on the Unsung series would never get a look in on UK TV.

I commend them to anyone who hasn't watched them. They're put together with care [[apart from the odd mistake in narration), and the interviews tell us things we sometimes didnt know about the stars' private lives and personalities.

The O'Jays episode was tremendous with Eddie and Walt [[both still very good-looking guys) speaking with great honesty about life on the road. I saw what were then Johnnie Wilder's Chicago Heatwave at a tiny club in Lancashire in the early 70s [[they were brilliant, although an odd-looking ensemble at the time) so enjoyed that one. despite all the tragic tales I had nothing but admiration for Keith Wilder. The Tammi one was excellent too, with a particular to Ashford and Simpson, who spoke with great insight and intelligence about Tammi. And Val gave the lie to the ridiculous claims that Tammi didn't sing on the final album with Marvin.

It's Deniece Williams next for me, and then I think I'll watch the Spinners again!

O'Jays
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx2RlcEuiMw

This link will introduce anybody who hasn't seen them yet to the rest of them.
    Well Marvin Gaye himself said that it was Valerie singing on that final album. And we all know that dead men tell no tales...

Marvin told David Ritz, his biographer, he had sung with Val. As Val explained, she worked with Marvin teaching him the songs, sketching them out. Just like Eddie Holland did all those years earlier with the Four Tops and the Supremes. It;s a writer-producer's job.

I prefer to believe what Val said. That is why Marvin said he sang with her. As Nick and Val [[apparently very sincere people, no edge) said, they coaxed the performances out of Tammi for the Easy album in short bursts in the studio.

And it still don't sound like Val to these ears!

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Marvin told David Ritz, his biographer, he had sung with Val. As Val explained, she worked with Marvin teaching him the songs, sketching them out. Just like Eddie Holland did all those years earlier with the Four Tops and the Supremes. It;s a writer-producer's job.

I prefer to believe what Val said. That is why Marvin said he sang with her. As Nick and Val [[apparently very sincere people, no edge) said, they coaxed the performances out of Tammi for the Easy album in short bursts in the studio.

And it still don't sound like Val to these ears!
    The situations behind who sang on "Easy" was cleared for me before it was discussed on "Unsung". I personally believe that Valerie is singing as Valerie and Tammi is singing as Tammi! But many people believe that Val does all the singing. The late John Bristol had right on the money when he said that the "whole thing was taken out of proportion". If you listen to Tammi's "This Old Heart of Mine","Your Precious Love", the coca-cola ad, and Lone Lonely town, her sound is spot on to what's heard on several songs on the album.

And while we're discussing "Unsung", they're coming out with stories on Billy Preston, Mary Wells and the Sylvers later this month and in august.

Speaking of "Unsung", did anyone see the Billy Preston episode last night ? If not, you can use this link.

http://www.tvoneonline.com/shows/sho...d=1232&id=3415

Be very careful though. Some of those episodes gloss over major parts of an artists story. Zapp, Bootsy, and Teddy Pendergrass have some glaring omissions.

You have to remember, it's hard to cover everything within a hour's time. [[38 minutes minus the commercials,if you watch the episodes on their website)

True that my friends, they still got to sell product ! I'll check the link GT........and now back to the vinyl update......

I saw Billy Preston last night! His and the Ohio Players' stories were quite depressing and informative. Anyone else shocked to find that he was gay?

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    True that my friends, they still got to sell product ! I'll check the link GT........and now back to the vinyl update......

I thought the Billy Preston episode was more honest than I had expected. They didn't seem to leave out much. It was well known in the industry that he was gay, though he never confirmed or denied it. BUT WHAT I wanna know is what does Joyce Moore do besides attach herself to troubled soul artists [[i.e. Sam Moore, Jackie Wilson, The Jacksons, Mary Wells & Billy Preston?)
    Who is this woman, really?
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 07-26-2011 at 09:08 PM.

If they are true to the story, they can easily make room for vital parts of the story. If you gloss over the minor parts, that's one thing. But the vital parts ARE the story.

I DVR'd the entire series and saved every one of the episodes. Too bad DirecTV doesn't offer TVOne in HD.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    I thought the Billy Preston episode was more honest than I had expected. They didn't seem to leave out much. It was well known in the industry that he was gay, though he never confirmed or denied it. BUT WHAT I wanna know is what does Joyce Moore do besides attach herself to troubled soul artists [[i.e. Sam Moore, Jackie Wilson, The Jacksons, Mary Wells & Billy Preston?)
    Who is this woman, really?
    Kamasu Jr I wonder the samething regarding Joyce Moore. Billy's family went threw hell with that women trying to see thier brother. I missed the first 20 minute, but what I did catch seem quite honest. I worked with him for a few months at my church and he seemed in good spirits, pretty much kept to himself but was a nice guy and very helpful to the other singers and musicians. His talent could not be denied and his sister Rodena a talent in her own right, who truely loved her brother.

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Kamasu Jr I wonder the samething regarding Joyce Moore. Billy's family went threw hell with that women trying to see thier brother. I missed the first 20 minute, but what I did catch seem quite honest. I worked with him for a few months at my church and he seemed in good spirits, pretty much kept to himself but was a nice guy and very helpful to the other singers and musicians. His talent could not be denied and his sister Rodena a talent in her own right, who truely loved her brother.
    Rod rick, when I saw Joyce Moore pop up on screen, I cringed. I've not heard much nice about her. Sam Moore married her and she's been to Memphis and is quite a character and pushy. I lost respect for Sam because of her. She has been involved with several artists who were down on their luck and where she was, it was never good. I had heard Billy Preston's family had difficulty getting through to him while he was being managed by Ms. Moore. I noticed how Billy's relatives are still
    effected by his passing.

Looking forward to the Sylvers. I know someone who was once close to them. Their story is almost as tragic as DeBarge.

So I take it that no one saw "Unsung" last night with the Sylvers, nor anyone wants to discuss it. If you missed it,here's the link.

http://www.tvoneonline.com/shows/sho...id=902&id=3420
    Last edited by GeeTee(HPK); 08-02-2011 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeeTee[[HPK) View Post
    So I take it that no one sae "Unsung" last night with the Sylvers, nor anyone wants to discuss it. Anywho, if you missed it,here's the link.

http://www.tvoneonline.com/shows/sho...id=902&id=3420
    I checked out the Sylvers unsung episode last night. Another good show. I found out quite a bit regarding the Sylvers. I'm glad they told what and how the family is currently doing.

Thanks for the links, these shows are coming at me fast and furious and I can't keep up! I heard Atlantic Starr is on the schedule, can't wait for that one.

Finally watched The Sylvers one last night, excellent. I learned a lot about the family.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    I saw Billy Preston last night! His and the Ohio Players' stories were quite depressing and informative. Anyone else shocked to find that he was gay?
    It was a shocker to me but at the same time it was one of those things I just never thought about regarding Preston. I wonder if they will touch on that on Freddie Jackson's episode.

Quote Originally Posted by tsull1 View Post
    Thanks for the links, these shows are coming at me fast and furious and I can't keep up! I heard Atlantic Starr is on the schedule, can't wait for that one.
    Yea, I'm so behind myself but new year's day I chilled and watched the Angela Wnbush, Deniece Williams and Ohio Player episodes on youtube. There are still quite a few I haven't seen yet.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    It was a shocker to me but at the same time it was one of those things I just never thought about regarding Preston. I wonder if they will touch on that on Freddie Jackson's episode.

I think so. In the press release for this season, it states that the Freddie Jackson episode will be "very revealing".

Don't feel too bad glencro. Until the Vesta Williams episode ran the other day, I had no idea at all who she was and that she had recently passed away. Great voice. Don't know how I missed it.

So far IMO the entire series has been excellent. Not exploitive and presented fairly pro and con ,on the subjects. It's much better to me than if the same program and production was done by MTV or BET.
    Now some outlet needs to show the SOUL!! series programs with the late ELLIS HASLIP that aired in the early 70's on PBS.

what can be done to get Directv to broadcast TVOne in HD? I've been waiting for a couple of years now...

Just watched the Rose Royce episode. I love that group, too bad they imploded, like many of these groups [[see my new thread regarding this.

Typical group jealousy and not sure Whitfield played it correctly ... thus on his deathbed hearding from the bass player, "Where's my money?!"

Gwen Dickey has to be one of the most underrated singers ever. She was fantastic [[and looking nice today, too :>), they should've had her front the group forever, though I do like some post-Gwen stuff, particularly the song "Golden Touch" which is awesome. Great series on important groups and individuals.

Still catching up but I watched Rose Royce & Mary Wells yesterday. I've never really cared for Well's voice but I thought her story was extremely sad. Was glad to see that she received some sort of compensation from her lawsuit against Motown. It's just amazing how Gordy could sleep at night with all of the people that he exploited but our people do parish for lack of knowledge [[even or should I say especially, in business). Mary & the Womack brothers...some lines you just don't cross but may she rest in peace.

Watched Teena Marie, Roger & Zapp, Alexander O'Neal & Cherelle and the O'Jjays. Enjoyed them all. Big ups to Roger & Zapp for going the no drugs route but the story was quite tragic and sad. Had to shed a tear or two on a few of these episodes. About to check out the Spinners now. I had a photo shoot last week with Pervis Jackson's grandson who is a model, actor and singer. He told me that it was a good episode.

Its been a while since I saw the Mary Wells episode, but what is it that Berry Gordy did to her?