[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Who was "Little Nicky Soul" and his group?

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  21.1 KB
    Anyone know who Little Nicky, M. Alexander and L. White are, or about Shee Records [[its owner and staff)? It was located at 563 E. Tremont Ave, Bronx, NY.

"I Wanted To Tell You" by Little Nicky Soul was released on Shee101. Sounds like about 1964 or 1965. But the song, itself, has 1962 style. I'm an expert on ZTSC Columbia Midwest [[Terre Haute/Chicago) pressing plant code #s, but not quite so good on ZTSP East Coast plant [[I think that's in Pennsylvania). Anyway, 94,000 seems to be about right for around late 1964. "I'm On The Outside Looking In" was pressed around that number [[somewhat before), as was "Look Away" by Garnet Mimms & Enchanters [[slightly after).

It's a great slightly uptempo group sound. The group behind him is very, very good. The lead can sing. You've gotta give him that. It's well-written, too. Richard Tee did a great job arranging it. He's my favourite New York '60s arranger. The lead guitar is great, but I'd have had the piano more upfront. The drummer's part is excellent -and excellently played-got to be Pretty Purdie.

It's a dead rare, Northern Soul favourite. I've never seen it, and I've looked through probably more than a few million 45s in my time. So, I can see why the price is where it is [[$1,100.00 US). I can't afford to buy it. But, I wouldn't mind having a digital recording of it). Right now anyone can listen to it on You-Tube. But I don't have the ability to downloaded it from the video.

Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz6KDz2Q-KA

I'm curious to hear what you all think of it.

Maybe M. Alexander and L. White were in a group with Little Nicky? The music writing sounds a LOT like 1961-62 mid-tempo Motown group songs. It sounds a LOT like the stuff Robert Bateman was writing with Brian Holland and Freddie Gorman, and then the kind of sound his songs had at Correc-Tone [[where he went when he left Motown in early 1962). I could hear Wilson Pickett singing it, with The Falcons backing him up, just like his 1962-63 cuts for Bateman. Bateman took that same style with him to New York, and he used Richard Tee, exclusively, as his arranger.

This was probably a Bronx Soul group. I'm sure I've got some records by this guy as the lead of a group, or as Nick ______, with a last name. He's certainly not Nick Ashford [[about as far off a voice as possible). I bet I also have some records produced by M. Alexander [[also having his full first name). I wonder if these guys were under contract to another company at the time. Otherwise, why all the secrecy with the names [[no last name for Nick, no first name for the producer). Richard Tee didn't have to worry as the outside arranger.

Any Northern Soul fans out there who know about this record and label? Mark? Ady? Davie?
    Last edited by robb_k; 07-15-2011 at 10:58 PM.