[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Diamond View Post
    70/05 --- 8 JR. WALKER AND THE ALL STARS LIVE Soul SS-725
    Intro: Hip City, Parts 1 & 2, Sweet Soul, Home Cookin', Something You Got,
    [[I Know) I'm Losing You, Come See About Me, What Does It Take [[To Win Your Love),
    Medley: Shotgun-What Does It Take [[To Win Your Love)
    70/09 110 9 A GASSSSS Soul SS-726
    Do You See My Love [[For You Growing) [[3.33), And When I Die [[2.50), I Was Made To Love Her [[2.37),
    Carry Your Own Load [[3.18), Shut Up Don't Interrupt Me [[2.50), Groove And Move [[2.44),
    Holly Holy [[3.16), Honey Come Back [[4.15), Riding High On Love [[2.37), Hey Jude [[3.13), At A Saturday Matinee [[2.51).
    71/07 91 --- 10 RAINBOW FUNK Soul S-732L Tamla Motown 11198
    Way Back Home [[3.39), Take Me Girl I'm Ready [[3.57), Feeling Alright [[4.33), Right On Brothers And Sisters [[3.08),
    Teach Them To Pray [[4.44),
    Something [[4.57), Psychedelic Shack [[5.00), Pieces Of A Man [[3.20), These Things Will Keep Me Loving You [[4.58).
    71/12 142 11 MOODY JR Soul S-733L
    Way Back Home [[Vocal) [[3.12), I Don't Want To Do Wrong [[), Bristol's Way [[3.54), Don't Blame The Children [[3.05),
    Me And My Family [[),
    Groove Thang [[2.35), Still Water Medley [[), Never Can Say Good-Bye [[), Walk In The Night [[4.13),
    Moody Junior [[4.32).
    73/04 --- 12 PEACE AND UNDERSTANDING IS HARD TO FIND Soul S-738L
    I Ain't Going Nowhere [[3.32), I Don't Need No Reason [[), It's Alright Do What You Gotta Do [[), It's Too Late [[),
    Soul Clapping [[),
    I Can See Clearly Now [[+), Gimmie That Beat [[Parts 1 & 2) [[), Country Boy [[),
    Peace And Understanding [[Is Hard to Find) [[3.08).
    74/05 NR JR. WALKER AND THE ALL STARS Soul S6-742S1
    You Are The Sunshine Of My Life [[), All In Love Is Fair [[), Killing Me Softly With His Song [[), My Love [[), Boogie Down [[),
    I Ain't That Easy To Lose [[), Dancin' Like They Do On Soul Train [[), Break Down And Sing [[),
    Until You Come Back To Me [[That's What I'm Gonna Do) [[),
    74/07 --- 13 ANTHOLOGY [[2-LP set) Motown M-786-2
    Side 1: Shotgun, Do The Boomerang, Shake And Finger Pop, Cleo's Mood, [[I'm A) Road Runner,
    How Sweet It Is [[To Be Loved By You), Money [[That's What I Want);
    Side 4: Way Back Home, Walk In The Night, Groove Thang, Gimme That Beat, Part 1, I Don't Need No Reason,
    Peace And Understanding [[Is Hard To Find).
    Side 2: Pucker Up Buttercup, Shoot Your Shot, Come See About Me, Hip City, Part 1, Home Cookin',
    What Does It Take [[To Win Your Love);
    Side 3: These Eyes, Gotta Hold On To This Feeling, Do You See My Love [[For You Growing), Holly Holy,
    Don't Blame The Children [[3.02), Moody Junior.
    76/01 --- 14 HOT SHOT Soul S6-745S1
    I'm So Glad [[3.23), Why Can't We Be Lovers [[4.24), You Ain't No Ordinary Woman [[3.43), Just Can't Get Enough [[3.46),
    Love [[Keep Us Together) [[), I Need You Right Now [[with Thelma Houston) [[4.31), Probe Your Mind [[3.26),
    Don't Lose What You Got [[Trying to Get Back What You Had) [[), Hot Shot [[).
    BOOTLEG
    '68/?? MR MR NR LIVE IN PARIS
    [[Different track listings on different versions)
    I just saw this about a Live bootleg album recorded in Paris. Does anyone have details on when Jr. played Paris and how a bootleg was born? And what are the different track listings and more importantly who has a copy? lol

Yes it was on Motown Superstars. Dont think it ever got to CD. Paulo xxx

Quote Originally Posted by vcq View Post
    I can't say that I have.
    I heard it on a bootleg tape many years ago and it was in a word..........AWESOME!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I think it was on one of the early "vault" collections..."From the Vaults" or possibly "Motown Superstars Sing Motown Superstars."
    There's a version online at http://oldschoolmusiclover.com/2008/01/18/love-hangover/ [[scroll about halfway down the page). Or you can PM me; I have a slightly different rip that sounds a little bit cleaner in parts. According to various comments I've read, Junior's version was recorded in 1976 [[the album "Motown Sings Motown Superstars" wasn't released until 1983).
    Last edited by vcq; 07-19-2011 at 05:05 PM.

Most of you probably already knew that Junior Walker starred in the 1988 film "Tapeheads" with Sam Moore; there are several tracks that he recorded with Sam as the "Swanky Modes." He also appeared on Letterman to promote the film.

Here are the links to the songs:
    "Ordinary Man" [[video)
    Ordinary Man [[audio)
    You Hooked Me [[audio)
    Audience for My Pain [[video)Audience for My Pain [[audio)
    Betcher Bottom Dollar [[audio)

There's a version online at http://oldschoolmusiclover.com/2008/01/18/love-hangover/ [[scroll about halfway down the page). Or you can PM me; I have a slightly different rip that sounds a little bit cleaner in parts. According to various comments I've read, Junior's version was recorded in 1976 [[the album "Motown Sings Motown Superstars" wasn't released until 1983).
    Was this recorded during the Hot Shot sessions with the Hollands? Or was this later?

Quote Originally Posted by blkfrost View Post
    Was this recorded during the Hot Shot sessions with the Hollands? Or was this later?
    I'm not sure...I just PMed you. Check your e-mail :-)

I'm not sure...I just PMed you. Check your e-mail :-)
    Thank you... greatly appreciated.

don't forget jr.'s solo on "urgent". he makes this poor song indispensable!

Quote Originally Posted by thisoldheart View Post
    don't forget jr.'s solo on "urgent". he makes this poor song indispensable!
    I'm not sure Foreigner's "Urgent" is a poor song, but I will agree that Junior's sax work is an invaluable addition to that record. Junior did his own version of "Urgent" [[vocals and all) on his 1983 Blow The House Down album.

Does anyone know if Junior played sax on Lamont Dozier's "Trying To Hold On To My Woman." I've always thought that the sax on that record sounded too much like Junior to be a coincidence.
    Last edited by Nothing But Soul; 07-20-2011 at 07:30 AM.

My favourite song.

Trying To Hold On To My Woman was recorded both by Lamont himself, and by Garland Green.

I have both albums in front of me. Ernie Watts played the sax solo on the Garland Green version, Lamont is credited for rhythm arrangements along with Hense Powell.

On Lamont's own album, whilst Ernie Watts is credited, it appears that John Kelson performed the sax solo.

The actual credit reads as:

Sax, Flute, Oboe [[Sax Solo) John Kelson, John Daversa, Jules Jacob, Ernest Watts, Anthony Ortega, Fred Jackson, Ernest Green.

[[ I always thought Ernie Watts was responsible for both solos until I checked the album credits).

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    My favourite song.

Trying To Hold On To My Woman was recorded both by Lamont himself, and by Garland Green.

I have both albums in front of me. Ernie Watts played the sax solo on the Garland Green version, Lamont is credited for rhythm arrangements along with Hense Powell.

On Lamont's own album, whilst Ernie Watts is credited, it appears that John Kelson performed the sax solo.

The actual credit reads as:

Sax, Flute, Oboe [[Sax Solo) John Kelson, John Daversa, Jules Jacob, Ernest Watts, Anthony Ortega, Fred Jackson, Ernest Green.

[[ I always thought Ernie Watts was responsible for both solos until I checked the album credits).
    Thanks for the information, Mike. I am familiar with Ernie Watts, but not John Kelson. I have long felt that "Trying To Hold On To My Woman" was Lamont Dozier's finest hour as a performer.

I have long felt that "Trying To Hold On To My Woman" was Lamont Dozier's finest hour as a performer.

Couldn't agree more...it is my absolute favourite record of all time, bar none!

What about releasing his 70's albums that haven't yet been released on CD on iTunes, at the very least?

John Kelson is also known as Jackie Kelso. http://www.rockabilly.nl/references/...ckie_kelso.htm

He played on Bettye Swans's Make Me Yours'. Just look at the band line-up.....no wonder it was a smash!

http://www.chancellorofsoul.com/swann.html

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by motown01 View Post
    What about releasing his 70's albums that haven't yet been released on CD on iTunes, at the very least?
    That's another great idea. I've been advocating for Universal/Motown to go this route on their back issues for a few years now. And they have put on some interesting releases on iTunes. I'm not sure how they decide which ones to put up, but I think it is the future for some of these releases. I know some traditional folks are not keen on digital releases, but I'm sure they could come around to the idea. One thing that I would like for U/M to do with these releases, for us folks that like physical cd and liner notes, is to perhaps create a down-loadable type album/cd cover/liner notes that could be printed off and folded into a cd like insert that people are use to having with physical cds. The quality of paper could then be left up to each individual person.

bump...............

I love the idea of the printable album / liner notes...doesn't iTunes do digital booklets? [[I've only purchased individual songs from iTunes, not whole albums, so I've never taken advantage of that particular feature).

I know that Universal / Motown finally released Stevie Wonder's "I Was Made To Love Her" album rather than as available only as part of the massive complete Stevie Wonder box set on iTunes, so it's not too far of a stretch to see that happen with Junior Walker, Shorty Long, etc.

I wouldn't be opposed to digital downloads vs. physical CDs. I'd prefer to have them in MP3 rather than Apple's MP4 format; it's such a pain having to make a CD only to rip it and reimport it to MP3s...but I'll settle for having Junior's "lost" albums at long last, in any format, period!

Some JWATAS CDs.......

RossHolloway Guest
    Has the album Gotta Hold On To This Feeling ever put on CD?

I just saw this about a Live bootleg album recorded in Paris. Does anyone have details on when Jr. played Paris and how a bootleg was born? And what are the different track listings and more importantly who has a copy? lol
    Here you go, this is the copy I've got . . .
    1. OPENING JAM [[2:26)
    [[Autry DeWalt Jr.) Jobete Music Corp., Inc., [[ASCAP)
    Recorded 1973, Live at Studio 102 Paris, Producer unlisted
    Master tape - no known vinyl pressing

2. AT A SATURDAY MATINEE [[2:09)
    [[Autry DeWalt Jr., Eddie Hollis) Jobete Music Corp., Inc., [[ASCAP)

3. GOOD ROCKIN' [[2:14)
    [[Autry DeWalt Jr.) Fuqua Music [[BMI), Jobete Music [[BMI)

4. THESE THINGS WILL KEEP ME LOVING YOU [[3:56)
    [[Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol, Sylvia Moy) Jobete Music [[BMI)

5. HOT CHA [[2:11)
    [[Willie Woods) Jobete Music [[BMI)

6. HIP CITY [[Parts 1 & 2) [[6:29)
    [[Autry DeWalt Jr., Janie Bradford) Jobete Music [[BMI)

7. SWEET SOUL [[3:49)
    [[Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol, Vernon Bullock) Jobete Music [[BMI)

8. I'M A ROAD RUNNER [[4:55)
    [[Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier, Eddie Holland) Jobete Music Corp., Inc., [[ASCAP)

9. HOW SWEET IT IS [[4:33)
    [[Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier, Eddie Holland) Jobete Music Corp., Inc., [[ASCAP)

10. SHAKE AND FINGER POP [[1:49)
    [[Autry DeWalt Jr, Willie Woods, Lawrence Horn) Jobete Music Corp., Inc., [[ASCAP)

11. CLEO'S MOOD [[2:16)
    [[Autry DeWalt Jr., Harvey Fuqua, Willie Woods) Birdsong Music & Jobete Music Corp., Inc., [[ASCAP)

12. SHOTGUN [[6:49)
    [[Autry DeWalt Jr) Jobete Music Corp., Inc., [[ASCAP)

RossHolloway Guest
    Sounds like it would make for a heck of a concert. Especially playing long/extended versions of songs and not just medleys.

I was just looking over Junior's discography, and was intrigued to see his cover of "I Was Made To Love Her" from A Gassssssssss. Does Stevie Wonder appear on it at all? Does anyone out there have a rip of this?? Please PM me if so. Thanks!

I found this review of A Gassssssssss from All Music Guide fascinating, since I've heard very few of the tracks from this album:

"There's nothing weak or mediocre about Junior Walker's albums -- all have a high standard and feature his winning gusto sax screams and sauced vocals. He cut some of the tightest tracks laid at Motown's Studio A -- aka the Snake Pit. The insidious "Do You See My Love for You Growing" explodes for more than three blasting minutes. His deep-fried update of Stevie Wonder's "I Was Made to Love Her" is off the hook and as gritty as sandpaper. He dusts off Johnny Bristol and Jackey Beavers' "Carry Your Own Load," outshining the duo's nondescript original. On Neil Diamond's "Holy, Holy," Walker's sax cries like a mourning dog. "Shut Up, Don't Interrupt Me" didn't endear Walker to women libbers, but "Groove and Move" elevated his funk/psychedelic stock."
    Last edited by vcq; 07-26-2011 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Has the album Gotta Hold On To This Feeling ever put on CD?
    Yes, it was released on CD in 1990, but it did not stay in print for very long. I don't believe very many copies of this CD were manufactured or sold because it's virtually impossible to find now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nothing But Soul View Post
    Yes, it was released on CD in 1990, but it did not stay in print for very long. I don't believe very many copies of this CD were manufactured or sold because it's virtually impossible to find now.
    Here's a listing on Amazon for Gotta Hold On To This Feeling on CD.

Wow that's expensive on Amazon. I managed to get my copy off EBay for $12.99[[£7.93) in March this year [[the one you see above). Seems like that was a bargain now.

First time I heard the song was on the UK issued The Motown Sound [[Volume 1) album when it came out all those years ago. This also included the likes of Touch by The Supremes, Cheatin Is Telling On You - Lollipops and What'cha Gonna Do by Terry Johnson [[actually I've not yet heard that particular mix on a CD as the one on Big Motown Hits and Hard to Find Classics was different). That Motown Sound album always reminds me of summer.

Collecting Motown is such fun!

Collecting Motown is such fun!
    Just picked up Jr. Walker What Does it Take Lp in VG condition for $1.00. Although I have most of these tracks on CD, I love vinyl.

Observation : On side 2 the album cover indicates the record released as Hot Cha is misspelled ...it read Hot CKA! ...........

Nice one. I do like Hot Cha too - nice n tuneful!

Has anyone heard any talk [[whispers, rumors, consulting the tea leaves, etc.) on a Junior Walker box set? [[my Magic 8 ball cryptically said "Ask again later"). That's the ultimate gift on my Christmas wish list for, oh, the next twenty years or so...I'll wait however long it takes, but here's hoping it's sooner rather than later! It would be such a shame if Junior's output fades into history...and there are so many of his tracks that I've never had the opportunity to hear.

Now all I need after a Junior Walker box set is a Shorty Long anthology, and I'll be one very happy camper!

Stevie Wonder isn't on I Was Made To Love Her, as far as I know, but he did play harmonica on All In Love Is Fair from Sax Appeal.

jobeterob, you sent me to youtube. Never heard this song before and I agree with you.

I only ever heard it once, in a record shop called 'Trends' in Paignton, when it came out. Does anyone have an MP3 of Heartbreak by EVD from the Live album?

Here's a GREAT track by Junior that simply gets no attention..... written and produced by Johnny Bristol who did all the best work with Junior...

Legend has it that when jr.walker first came to audition one of the producers not liking the way he was dressed started to kick him out,but remembering an edit from berry about not being too hasty dismissing potential talent,let him play and the rest is motown history.

Junior Walker's first 3 Motown albums are available digitally from Amazon.http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?rh=n%3A771...qid=1413659204

Here's a Paris concert in 1973.... are these the same tracks as appearing on the bootleg live album referred to by Stone Diamond 3 years ago?