[REMOVE ADS]

Jerry Ragovoy - RIP

From Motown Treasures.

I've had this message from my pal Mick Patrick:

I just spoke to Bev Ragovoy, who told me that Jerry has died following a massive stroke. He did not suffer, and his twin daughters and Bev were with him.

On Sunday Jerry filmed an interview at the Bottom Line for the documentary film on Bert Berns being made by Bert's son Brett and daughter Cassie. He was taken ill in the taxi back to their hotel and instead went directly to hospital. He went into a coma. His vital signs seemed good, but he died suddenly last night.

The family will be holding a small private funeral, but are planning a bigger memorial service to celebrate Jerry's life, probably in September.

Bev said how much she and Jerry enjoyed their lunch date with us the other week and sends her best wishes to you all. She would like to keep in touch.

Bev has been in touch with Jerry's dear pal Al Kooper, who is writing an interview for syndication.

Sorry to deliver such sad news.

Mick

I'm a great fan of all his writing & producing. The world of music is now a much poorer place. RIP Jerry.

Very sorry to of Jerry's passing. Such a wonderful composer, arranger and producer. He was a major force in furthering r&b / soul music. Giant songs such as 'Stay With Me' by Lorraine Ellison, 'Piece Of My Heart' Erma Franklin, 'Time is On My Side' Irma Thomas, and 'Cry Baby'. Garnet Mimms. Wonderful memories!

A very nice 13 minute audio tribute on Jerry, his life and his work is here on NPR - great quality! Features the great Carl Hall track

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=98936592

He was a master at what he did and will be missed, may he R.I.P.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  21.1 KB
    He was one of my favourite songwriters and producers. He left a great legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  21.1 KB
    He was one of my favourite songwriters and producers. He left a great legacy.
    I agree. One only needs to listen to his production of Stay With Me with the great Lorraine Ellison and you'll hear that Jerry Ragovoy completely understood soul music and true soul singers. He was one of the best.

Didn't he produce Miriam Makeba's "Pata-Pata?"

I remember reading about him what a tragedy,
    Steph

Jerry was one of the BEST! He did such great records going back to his first My Girl Awaits Me by the Castells and One of the greatest Soul records I ever heard was by Howard Tate Ain't Nobody Home. I heard that when I was in New Orleans and said they could only make records like that down south and then I found out it was done in New York. He was a quiet man and a great Producer along with being a great song writer. They just don't make em like that anymore! RIP Sweet Soul Man

Agreed, Tom Moulton! I love both the songs you mention, especially "Ain't Nobody Home", with crazy good organ.

What do you know of Ben Aiken? There's little info

Ben as you know was the lead singer of Ultra High Frequency and His Brother Gil also a soul singer is now a Minister in Philly. I am not sure what he is doing right now. I can find out easy enough.

I was a big fan of Jerry's work with Howard Tate "Look At Granny Run Run" "I Learned It All The Hard Way" "Stop" "Baby I Love You" & "Glad I Knew Better" he will be very sadly missed.

@ cdiii...
    Jerry was credited as a co-writer of Pata Pata..
    I have to agree with robb k, this man left behind an incredible legacy...

Quote Originally Posted by tom_moulton View Post
    Ben as you know was the lead singer of Ultra High Frequency and His Brother Gil also a soul singer is now a Minister in Philly. I am not sure what he is doing right now. I can find out easy enough.
    Thanks Tom, I did not know Ben was in Ultra High Frequency. I first heard
    Ben Aiken on Loma, his excellent Ragavoy produced "God Bless The Girl And Me" aka God Bless My Girl [[But Don't Forget About Me)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Ragovoy

He also produced my favorite Dionne Warwick album: Then Came You!

RIP

Sorry I'm late chiming in on this...anyhow, I do agree that he was one of my favorite producer/arrangers and also, I do recommend the comp that Ace released of his best works. "Stay With Me" by Lorraine Ellison is one of the Eight Wonders of the World, IMO. RIP, Jerry, and thank you...

Best,

Mark