[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Collecting

Collecting

As a newbie on this forum,it seems most people who post have a vast knowledge and indeed collections of the music we love.

I have a fairly large collection, but have lots of gaps, so its nice to come across a few items by chance today that I needed.

There is a large flea / antique market near where I live that has a large record section. When you, if you have the time, to wade through the dross, you can find something you dont have.

As i got off work earlier than anticipated, I popped in. I found The MIRACLES Stateside SS353 Thats what love is made of. Martha Reeves & the Vandellas Honey Chile Tamla Motown TMG636.Diana Ross & The Supremes Forever Came Today Tamla Motown TMG650. All for £13 total.

I have all these tracks many times over, but I just had to have the original vinyl. Used Too! Am I daft? My soulmate thinks so. Do I need both the the Stereo and Mono issues of this album? Why have you got this same album 4 times? Well, thats the U.S. issue, thets the Dutch one etc.

Well, you guys know what I mean, or should I call the men in white coats now?

Paulo XXX

Paulo

I have loads of dupes of original TMG's, so dont start spending your money on anything expensive.

TCMS was intended as a repalcement for the vinyl 45's but that vinyl has a different edge to the computerised and digital era. Less clear but that adds to it. It was how we knew these songs and how they sounded on the radio.

As far as albums, I still prefer to look and admire albums. A cd in a little plastic box isn't the same and makes me feel cheated.

Get a TMG catalogue and check the 45 flip sides not on albums. For oddities, get the US STEREO of "A collection...Volume 8

Make sure it is the US version and not the UK version and it needs to be in STEREO

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/com...g_hits_vol__8/

I've got Riding High in US DJ mono and the tracks are all much longer than the UK mono released album.

Haaaaaaaaa,hey paulo you better those guys to get me too,love my vinyl and i have several copies of the same album/45 some just for the artwork keep collecting and finding those great bargains,i'm very fortunate to live near an oldies store i can't afford to go in everyday but when i do i always find something rare and great...keep on keeping on...collect-collect-collect!!!

Paulo

Jai forgot to mention that by the time you get to 40, you need an extra bedroom to store them. When you get to 50, you can't move house cos you can't carry more than 12 at one time!

Brighton used to be a wonderful place for records. I have a picture of me outside one there. I think Terry Wilson remarked on SDF that the record scene in Brighton is very much reduced these days.

Have you got Soul Sounds? If you're a good boy, I might let you have a few sequins from that dress.

As HIGH INERGY sang I Just Cant Help Myself........Yes, I have dupes too. i.e. Tom Clay What the World Needs on Mowest U.S. 45. one is blue water brown sky label, and the other reversed. My other half doesnt get it. BUT YOU DO!! I love my vinyl, especially albums. The art work ect. I remember years ago in Paris getting a various artists album on French Tamla Motown called FUNKY POPCORN. The track Runaway Child Running Wild by Earl Van Dyke is a completely differnt mix from the 45 I have, and any others I have / Heard. Still looking for Leslie Gore album Someplace else now on Mowest. Anyone out there can help?..Paulo XXXXX

I agree with John Lester. I have moved three times in the past 8 years and I am tired of lugging, storing and/or trying to find a place to keep my records, not to mention my CDs. My 45s are stored in a closet because there are too many sunny spots in my house for me to dare keep them out in shelving units.

I am more than ready, and have been for years, to part with my duplicates and cut-outs and several originals. I have lots of vinyl I'm willing to give away and a smaller amount to sell at reasonable cost, depending on the title. I wish I could find them a nice home.

Yes I have Soul Sounds Thanks! And yes, the record scene is much reduced from what it used to be. Johnjeb..send me a list! Please? Nice, Good hoem Guaranteed. HA HA....Paulo ,,P.S. Know what you mean about moving house. Nightmare regards vinyl...Paulo. XXXX

Oh man, I feel you. I've always been a record collector. A housefire destroyed my entire collection at one point in the mid-90s, and I've been rebuilding since - I shudder to think how much stuff I'd have if that fire hadn't happened. As well as having a band I'm a DJ, so the missus knows all-too-well that there's no choice in it for me, I MUST HAVE VINYL!

Only time I give my records a surly look: when, like now, I've gotta stash them in random spots because we're cleaning carpets and painting. Otherwise, it's just many, many square feet of well-loved children. I have about 10 of the old Platter-Pak boxes for my 7" singles which can be found cheap on eBay and I highly recommend. And yes, the most expensive records that I've bought were Motown records!!

Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
    Still looking for Leslie Gore album Someplace else now on Mowest. Anyone out there can help?..Paulo XXXXX

Paulo, I sent you a P.M., check your maillbox.

I also have a closet filled with the complete set of Supremes [[the Diana Ross years) albums. Almost all are in good/excellent condition. I, for one, am no longer interested in just hoarding these in a closet. Since I have all of the music in digital format, I am also looking for a good home for my collection.

It's surely not right to keep anything in the closet.

Anything else you might want to add?

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...you ain't right!!!

Paulo

When you have so many dupes, listing them is like...hard work. Johnjeb showed me what he wanted to get shot of years ago, and there are lots and lots and lots. You probably need to be specific with people about what you want.

You might ask John if he's throwing out any of his Supremes programmes...they are in immaculate condition..and they are wonderful. John..don't throw them out....send em to me!

John Lester got me collecting Velvelettes CDs lol

That's not STRICTLY true is it?

I managed to persuade Eamonn to get his daughters to buy him them for Father's day. So if any Velvelettes releases come out, I have to try and persuade the powers to be that they must issue them in a summer when there is no Diana Ross new album.

*blows raspberry*
    Last edited by theboyfromxtown; 08-21-2010 at 04:10 PM.

i've moved 17 times since i was 17[[coincedence)every move has got harder [[more vinyl to shift each move)the worst was the move to spain,i got tri-wall boxes each with about 75 albums in each box.my eyes left their sockets by 2 inches every time i lifted them!we were in spain 2 years [[ish) and not one of them got out for a play [[didnt have the right gear,a pre amp!) can you imagine not hearing your lps for over 2 years?[[by the time i was settled back in uk and pre-amp probs sorted)
    the only good thing was the records were in the same condition as when i shoe-horned them in the boxes over 2 years before,no damage,damp or heat distortion.
    so i carted a heap of vinyl nearly 3,500 miles and never even listened to them!and she who must be obeyed said whats the point,cant you sell them,i mean you dont even listen to any of it.not for the want of trying
    tell you what you sell your kitchen gadgets and bedding,towels and some of the clothes that dont see the light of day and i'll join yer!
    that was the end of that convo!
    it aint the same having it in a hard drive/pc is it?a bit lighter tho'!

"you sell your kitchen gadgets and bedding,towels and some of the clothes that dont see the light of day and i'll join yer!"

Good one....I am gonna use that one especially it if works!

BTW, have you finished the tiling in the bathroom yet?

theboy........
    no i havent!we had company last weekend thru the week.then the washing machine door seal went for a ball of chalk
    refitting the thing resembled me trying to wallpaper the hallway thru the letter box!
    back on the job tomoz with a whole heap of tcms's.
    more noise for sh.......................................... you know who!
    btw when i mentioned old clothes that dont see light of day....she ended up walking about in her dallas 80's power shoulder number,just so she didnt have to bin them!

My current thing is to collect 70s and 80s R&B singles and LP records of stuff that flew under the radar. I also like getting R&B hit albums from the same time period on CD...if the mastering is good.

I'm not a completest, so I don't have to have everything an artist released or recorded.

I do 96k/32-bit needledrops of almost all of the records I collect.

And when I buy a CD, my wife asks "haven't you got enough already".....

Actually she's probably right - but can you ever really have enough? For example, I will just have to have the Tammi Terrell release, despite already having Irresistible [[on LP, CD and tape reel), the Tammi Terrell Story CD [[Marginal), and the Spectrum release, not to mention the albums with Marvin Gaye [[including the complete collection), and the various tracks on other CDs. What is the driver here?

As long as one can afford to collect...
    I stopped collecting when I was about 40 y/o. I was a free lance journalist and radio presenter then and had other interests to [[financially) take care of. Now I'm on early [[health-)retirement [[being 61) and can't afford to collect ANYTHING anymore.

I'm more than happy with the releases of shelved material that Motown put out over the past - let's say - twenty years... for me it started when a London friend gave me the CD DRATS - Unreleased Masters [[yellowish cover) for a present, that was in 1987, I think.
    I never knew that would be the first of many releases I would learn to cherish: like There"s A Place For Us, the David Ruffin unreleased album, the Lost&Found series, the Cellarful series, the Definite Collections series, etc., etc.

I didn't buy the Complete Motown singles, I couldn't afford them and still can't. Pity, but that's how it is. I don't have 'em, which means I don't miss 'em... well, I miss the details in the booklets 2B honest... but my head can only hold so much information, you know.

Didn't need Motown Singles as I have alot of the original 45s and the original classic albums from '64 to '68 including "Soul Sounds" If I wear the 45s out..[[like I did with "Come See About Me"..and "My Baby Must Be a Magician"...I can go to a
    store 5 miles away and get brand new original replacements..I brought the original "Shotgun" album in brand new condition,
    with the dust on the wrapper since 1965..for about $5.00..from that store which specializes in Northern Soul collections..

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  21.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post
    As long as one can afford to collect...
    Now I'm on early [[health-)retirement [[being 61) and can't afford to collect ANYTHING anymore.

I'm more than happy with the releases of shelved material that Motown put out over the past - let's say - twenty years... for me it started when a London friend gave me the CD DRATS - Unreleased Masters [[yellowish cover) for a present, that was in 1987, I think.

I didn't buy the Complete Motown singles, I couldn't afford them and still can't. Pity, but that's how it is. I don't have 'em, which means I don't miss 'em... well, I miss the details in the booklets 2B honest...
    Dat ben ik ook!

I know how you feel, Robbert. I'll soon be 64 years old, and also can't afford "The Complete Motown Singles". I saw Ollie's sets and do miss having them. I've added very little to my collection since 1972.