[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin and Tammi Coke commercial

I put together a blog the other day about songs that came out of commercials to become pop hits....

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/weblog...-a-commercial/

....and in the process of "researching", ran across this Marvin and Tammi spot for Coke....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP9PO...eature=related

Marvin [[as a single), the Supremes, and Gladys Knight And The Pips did these also. Curiosity leads me to ask if these were arranged and recorded at Motown, or somewhere else?

on a slight tangent......i believe some Coke adverts were issued as 45s....the one ive always lusted after was the Impressions Coke advert.......in 1983 when i met CM i mentioned this and he sang it to me........[[sadly i didnt have a recorder)....if anyone has a file of this [[or the45).....i would like to hear it again........

Quote Originally Posted by Doug-Morgan View Post
    I put together a blog the other day about songs that came out of commercials to become pop hits....

....and in the process of "researching", ran across this Marvin and Tammi spot for Coke....

Marvin [[as a single), the Supremes, and Gladys Knight And The Pips did these also. Curiosity leads me to ask if these were arranged and recorded at Motown, or somewhere else?
    Judging from the sound of them, these Coke jingles were recorded at Hitsville and arranged and produced by Motown peronnel. They were done to sound like the artists' hit records. My favorite is Down at Joe's by Gladys Knight & the Pips, which is so funky...it should have been a single. It's definitely the Funks playing on that one. There's a CD...though costly...with soda jingles on it.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 07-13-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vcq View Post
    There have been a few cds issued with 60s Coke commercials. Reading the comments associated with the link above, this cd seems to be missing the Marvin/Tammi commercial.

I have a cd simply called Coca-Cola Commercials. On the cover are photos of Tom Jones, Aretha Franklin, the Pips, Roy Orbison, and Lulu. It contains 65 commercials by everyone from the Moody Blues to Jerry Butler. There is no label listed. The only credit is "Produced By Carlos Mendoza", manufactured in South America.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    There have been a few cds issued with 60s Coke commercials. Reading the comments associated with the link above, this cd seems to be missing the Marvin/Tammi commercial.

I have a cd simply called Coca-Cola Commercials. On the cover are photos of Tom Jones, Aretha Franklin, the Pips, Roy Orbison, and Lulu. It contains 65 commercials by everyone from the Moody Blues to Jerry Butler. There is no label listed. The only credit is "Produced By Carlos Mendoza", manufactured in South America.
    That Coke jingles CD came from South America and was compiled/produced by Carlos Mendosa. According to several Stax artists who also recorded Coke jingles, the jingles were most often written and produced by Stax staffers like Isaac Hayes & David Porter and they often sounded like an artist's hit recording at the time. I've heard former Motowner and Chess producer Billy Davis was the key person behind some of these jingles. Davis wrote and produced Coke jinlges for Little Milton & Fontella Bass, which sounded like their Chess hits.
    He also co-wrote one for country singer Dottie West called Country Sunshine, which did become a No. 1 country hit for her.
    Aretha Franklin said Davis got her to record a Coke jingle, but she has no memory of ever recording a Coke jingle with Ray Charles, which some people swear she did.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 07-14-2011 at 12:46 PM.

I read the interview where Aretha said she didn't remember a Coke commercial with Ray Charles. But I've seen photos from the session, and of course, the commercials are on the cd that I have. They were recorded at Ray's RPM Studios in California, according to the last bio on him.

In Mark Bego's book on Aretha, Billy Davis is quoted as saying he cut several commercials on Aretha. But "one of the times she was married to Ted White-unfortunately." As this was during a time when their marriage was on its last legs, Aretha must have blocked this session out.
    Last edited by reese; 07-14-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Wonder why she denies doing them?

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I read the interview where Aretha said she didn't remember a Coke commercial with Ray Charles. But I've seen photos from the session, and of course, the commercials are on the cd that I have. They were recorded at Ray's RPM Studios in California, according to the last bio on him.

In Mark Bego's book on Aretha, Billy Davis is quoted as saying he cut several commercials on Aretha. But "one of the times she was married to Ted White-unfortunately." As this was during a time when their marriage was on its last legs, Aretha must have blocked this session out.
    I found the CD with Ray & Aretha's Cole jingles on it. She does sound a little odd on them. Like she had a cold when they were recorded. But they claim it is her with Ray Charles. On the CD, there was a Coke jingle by Marvin Gaye that I'd never heard, plus the one with Tammi Terrell.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 08-26-2012 at 09:34 AM.

Thanks so much for posting this. I have a "bootleg" CD of Coke Commercials from 1996 that lists Marvin & Tammi for two spots on the back cover however they are not included on the disc itself so this is a real find.

Curiosity leads me to ask if these were arranged and recorded at Motown, or somewhere else?
    There are a couple of Coke Commercials by The Supremes that were included on the expanded edition of More Hits by The Supremes. The annotation for the tracks mention that there was a campaign supervised by Berry Gordy's former partner, Billy Davis [[then a creative head of Coke's ad agency McCann-Erickson). The production & writing for the spots are credited to Holland-Dozier-Holland and while the notes don't say what studio the tracks were done at, the sound and feel of the spots [[and the H-D-H production credit) strongly suggest that the recording for The Supremes Coke Commercials was done in house at Motown [[I have no info about the other Motown acts who did commercials for Coke).

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    There are a couple of Coke Commercials by The Supremes that were included on the expanded edition of More Hits by The Supremes. The annotation for the tracks mention that there was a campaign supervised by Berry Gordy's former partner, Billy Davis [[then a creative head of Coke's ad agency McCann-Erickson). The production & writing for the spots are credited to Holland-Dozier-Holland and while the notes don't say what studio the tracks were done at, the sound and feel of the spots [[and the H-D-H production credit) strongly suggest that the recording for The Supremes Coke Commercials was done in house at Motown [[I have no info about the other Motown acts who did commercials for Coke).
    On the CD I found there were two other Coke jingles by the Supremes. Judging with my ears, they sound as if they might have been recorded around 1966 or early 1967. The music and lyrics are sophisticated and sounds like Motown from that period. One of the jingles has Diana singing "It's the Ltitle Things That Make A Difference." It's catchy and could have worked as a real song. Besides Simple Things by Marvin & Tammi, there was a solo Marvin Gaye Coke jingle that does not sound like it was recorded in Detroit and 2 by Gladys Knight & the Pips. I believe Martha and the Vandellas sang for Pepsi and perhaps the Four Tops as well.

Some of those Coke commercials made it out on 45's back in the day .....
    this German 7" EP featured 4 versions of the Coke ad; two of them being by the Supremes & Ray Charles.
    Attachment 5377

Copies of this record are available to buy on Amazon .....
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/LOVE-INCH-VI...078844&sr=1-20
    ....... and ..... DISCOGS ........
    http://www.discogs.com/buy/Vinyl/Dav...021?ev=bp_titl

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    On the CD I found there were two other Coke jingles by the Supremes. Judging with my ears, they sound as if they might have been recorded around 1966 or early 1967. The music and lyrics are sophisticated and sounds like Motown from that period. One of the jingles has Diana singing "It's the Ltitle Things That Make A Difference." It's catchy and could have worked as a real song.
    I've got The Supremes piece that you mentioned [[with the group singing "It's The Little Things") on my CD compilation of Sixties Coke Commercials. It's the only one that I've heard that isn't based on one of their hits and yes, it sounds like it was done in 1966 or 67 [[and I also think it might have worked as a full fledged Supremes song).

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I've got The Supremes piece that you mentioned [[with the group singing "It's The Little Things") on my CD compilation of Sixties Coke Commercials. It's the only one that I've heard that isn't based on one of their hits and yes, it sounds like it was done in 1966 or 67 [[and I also think it might have worked as a full fledged Supremes song).
    Maybe these later Coke jingles will show up on expanded versions of Supremes A Go Go or Sing Holland Dozier Holland. There isn't any notations on them on the CD I have.
    I've noticed Hip- O/Motown seems to come up with unedited or longer versions of these jingles.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 08-27-2012 at 12:05 PM.

wish i could get my hands on the Impressions Coke ad...i met Curtis Mayfield backstage in1983 and asked him about it...i said "whats it like Curtis?" so he sang it to me!...and i didnt have a tape recorder ..doh

Now that Marvin and Tammi duet jingle was a real surprise and treat for me. Thanks so much for uncovering. Things always went better with Marvin and Tammi.

i usually play all of those jingles on my classic 60's soul show and the listeners always get a big kick out of them.. but my favorite coke jingle is by jerry butler..

WOW simply fantastic
    M & T
    I thought I had heard ever lil thing from them until now.

from youtube comments:

George Patak

2 years ago

My one and only personal connection to Aretha was from 1966 when I assisted Danny Dallas in a session at United Sound Studios in Detroit recording Aretha's portion of this spot with Ray Charles. Ray's part and the rest of the commercial were already done in a studio down south and we added Aretha's vocal.

There are quite a number of these as outlined above, here's a few Supremes & The Ray Charles one, I have some others If I can dig them out, note on the labels that they belong to Coca-Cola, but they would have been recorded in the Motown studios, and Ray at Ray's RPM Studios in California. I had put them up on Youtube but they got taken down. There is also a different one on the D.Ross & The Supremes 21st anniversary CD set. I put them back up on youtube detailed links below.

Attachment 19023
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 05-01-2021 at 07:46 AM.

Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 05-01-2021 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    There are quite a number of these as outlined above, here's a few Supremes & The Ray Charles one, I have some others If I can dig them out, note on the labels that they belong to Coca-Cola, but they would have been recorded in the Motown studios, and Ray at Ray's RPM Studios in California. I had put them up on Youtube but they got taken down. There is also a different one on the D.Ross & The Supremes 21st anniversary CD set. I put them back up on youtube detailed links below.

Attachment 19023

what a fantastic collection to have!

Thank You
    Always looking for more! anything obscure, anything interesting or out of the ordinary.

Graham, the upper WLP 45 with the Supremes on side 1 and Ray on side 2, do you think that was made for the European market? I have the 45 as well and have assumed since the label says "Coca Cola Export Corporation" it was not for the US market. Also, my 45 has the small pressing lines around the perimeter of the label which my German Elvis Presley 45's have.
    Darin

Darin
    The Pink & White swirly one is a UK disc, there is a Picture sleeve with that of Dozy,Beaky etc, The Pet Clark red one is also a UK one. The Ray Charles & The Supremes is from New York which you can see at 6 O'clock , I brought it from the States. Check out the photo. Trust this helps. How The Miracles ended up there I don't know.
    Graham

Attachment 19033
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 05-03-2021 at 01:27 PM.

I like Martha & the Vandellas "Come alive, your in the Pepsi generatiion" the best.

Thanks Graham. I guess I didn't realize the disc came with the cover shown. Mine did not come with the cover. I think it's interesting they say they are "Not for Broadcast", so I wonder that they were pressed for?! I really can't see any other use than radio broadcast, other than maybe at drive-in theaters or similar uses at the time.
    Darin

Darin. You got me thinking, even though I got my copy from the States, I checked Discogs and Ebay this morning & using the Coke ad " Things Go Better with Coke" looks like that one is from Italy. There are quite a number for sale on Ebay if you use the "Hook Line" you'll see them all, there are a lot with different artists on both sides, but didn't notice many Supremes.