[REMOVE ADS]

15 best motown songs of all time - do we really need yet another list? ?????

15 Best Motown Songs of All Time

These greatest of and best of lists of Motown songs keep popping up. I could probably list my three favorite Motown songs, but i don't even know what qualities make a song great except how much you like it. To me, its a personal thing.

The composer of this list, Samuel Moore, must like Marvin Gaye's I Heard It Through the Grapevine a lot. He listed it as number one and as number 12. An obvious error. Wonder if he meant to list Gladys and Pips' Grapevine as number 12.

1. I Heard It Through the Grapevine by Marvin Gaye
    2. Ainít No Mountain High Enough by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
    3. My Girl by The Temptations
    4. Stop! In the Name of Love by The Supremes
    5. You Canít Hurry Love by The Supremes
    6. Dancing in the Street by Martha and the Vandellas
    7. Iíll Be There by The Jackson 5
    8. Baby Love by The Supremes
    9. You Keep Me Hanginí On by The Supremes
    10. I Want You Back by The Jackson 5
    11. Reach Out Iíll Be There by Four Tops
    12. I Heard It Through the Grapevine by Marvin Gaye
    13. Where Did Our Love Go by The Supremes
    14. Whatís Going On by Marvin Gaye
    15. Signed, Sealed, Delivered Iím Yours by Stevie Wonder

Link below shows entire list and his opinions of the rankings he gave them

https://singersroom.com/w54/best-mot...s-of-all-time/

I, as well as others, would love to see the titles of your 3 favorite Motown songs!!!!!!!!!

Thank you.

My favorites are Someday We'll Be Together, Up the Ladder To The Roof, Walk Away From Love, and Marvin's I Heard It Through The Grapevine.

Lists like these are indeed subjective. For example, when I look at that original list of 15, I see exactly ONE song on there that would have a chance to make my personal top 15. Different strokes for different folks....

This
    robot liked this song so much it wrote drivel about it twice:

Gaye’s interpretation of “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” resonates with listeners due to its universal themes of love, trust, and deception. The song’s production, featuring a driving rhythm section and stirring strings, adds to its dramatic impact, capturing the essence of Motown’s ability to fuse raw emotion with polished musicality.
    “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” by Marvin Gaye stands as a timeless Motown classic, celebrated for its soulful intensity and emotional depth. Released in 1968, Gaye’s rendition of the song became an instant hit, topping charts and solidifying its place in music history. The song’s narrative of betrayal and heartbreak is powerfully conveyed through Gaye’s emotive vocals, backed by the signature Motown sound characterized by lush instrumentation and tight harmonies.Beyond its initial success, “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” has endured as a cultural touchstone, influencing countless artists and earning recognition in various forms of media. Its inclusion in films, television shows, and commercials continues to introduce new audiences to the allure of Motown and Marvin Gaye’s unparalleled talent. As a pivotal song in Motown’s golden era, “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” remains a definitive example of the label’s ability to produce enduring classics that transcend generations.
    “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” by Marvin Gaye is a quintessential Motown classic that showcases Marvin Gaye’s unparalleled vocal prowess and emotional depth. Released in 1968, the song became an instant hit, reaching the top of the charts and becoming one of Motown’s best-selling singles of the era.

Written by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong, the song’s lyrics tell a tale of betrayal and heartbreak, with Gaye’s soulful delivery capturing the pain and vulnerability of discovering a lover’s infidelity through rumors [[“I heard it through the grapevine”). The track’s production is marked by its haunting melody, punctuated by a driving beat and intricate orchestration that intensifies the song’s emotional impact.
    Marvin Gaye’s performance on “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” is nothing short of mesmerizing, showcasing his ability to convey raw emotion and vulnerability through his voice. His vocal range and control add layers of depth to the song, making it a standout in Motown’s extensive catalog.

The song’s enduring popularity has led to numerous covers and adaptations over the years, cementing its status as a timeless classic that continues to resonate with listeners of all ages. “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” remains a testament to Marvin Gaye’s musical genius and Motown’s ability to produce timeless and emotionally resonant music.
    Awful, and not unlike Rolling Stone magazine's record summaries .
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-08-2024 at 12:16 PM.

For me it would be impossible to make such a list of the Best Motown songs because there are simply too many to choose from.

Also by "best" do you mean all-around best or the ones that best represent the Motown sound? For the latter, nothing past 1972 would fit.

But as far as the best Motown lp? I think most would agree with Rolling Stone: What's Going On by Marvin

Bayou: I would make that cut off even earlier than that.......like maybe 1968. Motown was phenomenal from about 64-67 with 66 especially awesome but as soon as the flower child movement and all the other fads took over the music world, the good old Motown sound either had to change as well or get lost in the shuffle. Sadly it elected to change when in my opinion, it did not need to.

Name:  IMG_2292.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  15.0 KB

Hope this works - another list