[REMOVE ADS]

They Called Him Crazy Mike

Has it been 'only' fifty years since Michael Edward Campbell, Tom Baird, Bob Babbit, Russ Terrana and Billy Batson, among others, worked on Michael's 1974 self-titled album? Also known as Mike Campbell as a musician in his group, Scorpion, and as Michael Champion in his later career as an actor. He was in superb company in Scorpion, as his bandmates were Bob Babbit, Ray Monette and Andrew Smith - the group that played on many of the Stoney & Meat Loaf debut album tracks. The 'Michael Edward Campbell' album was recorded at the Motown Recording Studios and also at The Record Plant in L.A. Highlights from the album include 'Roxanne [[You Sure Got A Fine Design)' and 'Roll It Over' and it's a very strong rock album with, obviously, some great musicianship. Alas, it joins a host of other white artist albums that Motown just couldn't get over the line: think Severin Browne, Reuben Howell, Stephen Cohn etc. - it's a long list. Still, at least Motown thought he was worthy of an LP release and It's one that I still enjoy. Michael Edward Campbell was crazy talented!

Name:  Michael Edward Campbell LP front.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  38.0 KB

Name:  Michael Edward Campbell LP back.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  42.6 KB

My copy of the LP is the Canadian release, 'Manufactured and distributed by Motown Records Canada Ltd' with its maple leaf logo. Kinda crazy too, eh?
    Last edited by TomBairdFan; 07-05-2024 at 01:43 PM.

The last time I spoke with Mike he was running a boxing camp. Sometime after I learned he had passed. One of the most talented guys I had the pleasure to work with. I used him all over the Stoney and Meatloaf recordings.

Speaking of Reuben Howell, his two Motown lps are also quite good and got a small bit of airplay. He died about 20 years ago in Pensacola, relatively young 62 of a heart attack. Not sure what he did post Motown. Two of his Ivey and Woodford tracks were covered by The Supremes and The Temptations [[You Can't Stop A Man In Love). Mary Wilson laid a vocal over the same backing track to You Turn Me Around. Both are excellent songs.

Okay, okay they didnīt call him Crazy Mike for nothing. A time came, Mike wanted to be released from his Motown contact but wasnīt getting anywhere with the powers that be. So every day, Mike would show up at some crowded waiting room and fake an epileptic seizure. It didnīt take long before he got the release.