[REMOVE ADS]

Sidney Barnes & The Flirtations

83-year-old Sidney Barnes has been in the studio in London this week with producer Ian Levine to record a staggering 17 new titles for an album coming later this year, including a cover of his George Clinton-co-write Heart Troubles, recorded by The Parliaments on Golden World Records in 1965. There are two new duets with Levine-protegé Tahira Jumah, and two duets with The Flirtations. A spectacular reunion after an astonishing 60 years as Barnes had co-written their debut single Jerk It [[when they were still called The Gypsies), he had also co-written their Northern Soul-favourite Stronger Than Her Love.

I was fortunate to be in the studio with these legends June 27, 2024, as they recorded the new tracks Strong And Sturdy and Stepping On A Timebomb, and I've documented this wonderful footage for posterity:

The Flirtations still sound amazing - here's a sample of the track Take It Back from their new album Still Sounds Like The Flirtations, produced by Ben Rice, and recorded at Abbey Road Studios.

It's wonderful to see veteran artists continuing to create. Thank you for sharing your footage with us, soren1974.

I wonder if Sidney Barnes knows who sang on the Flirtations' "Change My Darkness Into Light." It's not the line-up we know and love.

Thanks for sharing! Could Sidney be the last surviving member of Rotary Connection?

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    I wonder if Sidney Barnes knows who sang on the Flirtations' "Change My Darkness Into Light." It's not the line-up we know and love.
    We talked about this, as nor is it the real Flirtations singing on Stronger Than Her Love. He does not remember who the singers were, but said it was J.J. Jackson's doing as he was not happy that The Flirtations [[as in Earnee, Shirley and Vie that you see in the video) had gone to the UK.

Has this been posted in the wrong forum - what is the Motown interest?

Thanks for posting. Best of luck to the ladies in their new endeavors. Look forward to
    purchasing their new CD [[Still Sounds Like the Flirtations). I believe it's being released in the US in August.

This is really fun!

That can't be the great one, Mr. Levine in the flesh in the grey t-shirt ?
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-01-2024 at 04:06 AM.

Ian in the grey t-shirt. Soren Jensen at the wheel in the second clip...
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 07-02-2024 at 03:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  21.1 KB
    George Kerr and Sidney Barnes were producers and songwriters who worked at Motown's New York Jobete Music Co. Office, writing songs for Motown singers, and producing demo recordings. They also produced several recordings by Kerr's group, TheSerenaders, and both were members of The Serenaders, who had a release on Motown, which was also transferred to V.I.P. [["I'll Cry Tomorrow"/"IF Your Says Yes"). Some of their other Motown recordings were "Say, Say Baby" and "Tears, Nobody, And A Smile". Sidney also wrote some songs for The Parliaments.

Thanks for the great details Robb!
    Darin

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Sidney Barnes co-wrote Martha Reeves & The Vandellas' Show Me The Way [[with Sylvia Moy and Richard Morris) [[1967), Diana Ross & The Supremes' Can't Shake It Loose [[1968), and I'll Bet You [[a cover of a Theresa Lindsey single on Golden World) on Jackson 5 [[1970) [[also covered by Funkadelic the same year).

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    That can't be the great one, Mr. Levine in the flesh in the grey t-shirt ?
    No, indeed it is not, sorry to disappoint. Yours truly it is.

Quote Originally Posted by soren1974 View Post
    Sidney Barnes co-wrote Martha Reeves & The Vandellas' Show Me The Way [[with Sylvia Moy and Richard Morris) [[1967), Diana Ross & The Supremes' Can't Shake It Loose [[1968), and I'll Bet You [[a cover of a Theresa Lindsey single on Golden World) on Jackson 5 [[1970) [[also covered by Funkadelic the same year).
    Soren,

Wasn't it actually J. J. Barnes who co-wrote, and also recorded 'Show Me The Way' - ?

And also, earlier than Martha's version, had recorded using the same backing track as hers, but with different lyrics, as 'Tell Me [Ain't It The Truth]'....?

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Soren,

Wasn't it actually J. J. Barnes who co-wrote, and also recorded 'Show Me The Way' - ?

And also, earlier than Martha's version, had recorded using the same backing track as hers, but with different lyrics, as 'Tell Me [Ain't It The Truth]'....?
Views: 140
    Yes! And Sid Barnes didn't write "Can't Shake It Loose" and "I'll Bet You" for Motown. He wrote them while working for Ed Wingate's Golden World Records, AFTER he and George Kerr were dropped by Motown after Berry closed down Motown's New York Jobete Music office.

Quote Originally Posted by soren1974 View Post

No, indeed it is not, sorry to disappoint. Yours truly it is.
    The disappointment is not to be !

I see what the confusion is ....more than one grey T- shirt here ...you looking fine in one while driving , one worn by Ian while the group sings.

from your youtube:
    Yesterday, June 27, 2024, I had the pleasure of spending the day in Glenn Keiles' recording studio just outside London with three legends: The Flirtations, Sidney Barnes, and Ian Levine, and I thought I'd share this wonderful video footage with you.

It was a pleasure to see Ian appearing fresh and happy and smiling. Has he been featured publicly like this in years ?? I have not seen anything ...nice to have it happen and
    a real pleasure to finally know this about him ....
    He looks younger than his years as well.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 140
    Yes! And Sid Barnes didn't write "Can't Shake It Loose" and "I'll Bet You" for Motown. He wrote them while working for Ed Wingate's Golden World Records, AFTER he and George Kerr were dropped by Motown after Berry closed down Motown's New York Jobete Music office.
    Apologies, I stand corrected. Thanks for clarifying. Even so it was awesome to meet a man who's been around so many legends.
    Last edited by soren1974; 07-05-2024 at 02:35 PM.