[REMOVE ADS]

most shocking musical moment

ok - this is meant to be ONLY a positive thread. this isn't shocking like "scandalous" but shocking as is who would have ever guessed

out of Supremes and/or solo material, what was the one that made you gasp the most? that one that you never saw coming and was just mind blowing amazing?

for me, it had to be Upside Down. it was just SOOOOOOOOO different and urban and hip and that COVER art on the album!! never in a million years would i have guessed "hey as the follow up to The Boss album, I could see Diana doing upside down and chic" lol

add on top of that that massive public response to it. it was 1980, a new decade. Disco was supposedly dead and while this was most definitely dance music, something about it didn't really exactly like disco. it was glossy and shiny and polished but didn't feel inauthentic or mechanical like a lot of disco was

Maybe FOOL FOR YOUR LOVE? It certainly was a different sound for her. I remember one of our local djs, Sunny Joe White, playing it and screaming "You've never heard Ross like this before!"

In regards to Ross, I think I'm going to have to go with Reese on this. Who would have thought Diana would ever attempt a song like that? I know a lot of fans don't like it, but personally I love it and think she does a fantastic job with it, despite my opinion being that nobody wanted to hear this from her and thus it was a waste of space.

Flo's "Oh Holy Night" solo took me by surprise. I wasn't underwhelmed or overwhelmed by her lead on "People" on the boxset, so I wasn't expecting anything special for a song like "Oh Holy Night". I was wowed by her vocal, even more so by the alternate released later. I thought she really sounded magnificent.

When I played "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" from the Japan album, I was rolling my eyes hard because here they were again doing this same song for the fifty eleventh time. I was totally unprepared for Mary to break out as she did after the "Quiet Nights" part, with so much power and conviction. And that note she hits at the end...she knocked me out. Still one of my all time favorite Supremes vocals.

High Energy was a big surprise...long intro, and a new strange voice....

Swept Away had a lot more power than what I expected from DR...to me it is the highlight of her RCA output [[but only the LP version...the 12" has a little too much going on and it distracts from the intensity of the LP cut....I feel totally the opposite about The Boss....the 12" works for me, the shorter LP cut doesn't) and I thought Touch By Touch and Nobody Makes Me Crazy were nice steps away from the expected...kind of like Kiss Me Now on DR '76

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    In regards to Ross, I think I'm going to have to go with Reese on this. Who would have thought Diana would ever attempt a song like that? I know a lot of fans don't like it, but personally I love it and think she does a fantastic job with it, despite my opinion being that nobody wanted to hear this from her and thus it was a waste of space.

Flo's "Oh Holy Night" solo took me by surprise. I wasn't underwhelmed or overwhelmed by her lead on "People" on the boxset, so I wasn't expecting anything special for a song like "Oh Holy Night". I was wowed by her vocal, even more so by the alternate released later. I thought she really sounded magnificent.

When I played "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" from the Japan album, I was rolling my eyes hard because here they were again doing this same song for the fifty eleventh time. I was totally unprepared for Mary to break out as she did after the "Quiet Nights" part, with so much power and conviction. And that note she hits at the end...she knocked me out. Still one of my all time favorite Supremes vocals.
    while it's certainly not a fav of mine, i sort of appreciate Fool For Your Love for the same reasons you mention. Diana really tackles the material and gives it her all. I might be giving her a lot more credit that deserved about the SE album. but it almost comes across as a truly experimental set. As if Diana said, i'm not worried about this being a #1 album. I want to use an lp to explore as many different music genres and styles as possible. to explore and do something totally different. My guess is that in reality there was nowhere near that level of strategic planning with the album. But makes for a fun way to explain it lol

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    High Energy was a big surprise...long intro, and a new strange voice....

Swept Away had a lot more power than what I expected from DR...to me it is the highlight of her RCA output [[but only the LP version...the 12" has a little too much going on and it distracts from the intensity of the LP cut....I feel totally the opposite about The Boss....the 12" works for me, the shorter LP cut doesn't) and I thought Touch By Touch and Nobody Makes Me Crazy were nice steps away from the expected...kind of like Kiss Me Now on DR '76
    great assessment of the SA album. and i totally agree about TBT and Crazy. I think they're great, especially Touch. that should have been an earlier single. it's very 1984 pop and it would have done well. frankly i find it more fun that the title track.

I know some people are NOT fans of Crazy but i think it's fun and a good album track. never would consider it a single but i think it works.

Other than the glorious “Chain Reaction”, Diana will never be remembered for anything recorded during her rca period. She certainly didn’t get to where she was by recording such songs as ‘Fool For Your Love” and “Nobody Makes Me Crazy”. Songs which only undermined her credibility as a serious recording artist.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

for me, it had to be Upside Down. it was just SOOOOOOOOO different and urban and hip and that COVER art on the album!! never in a million years would i have guessed "hey as the follow up to The Boss album, I could see Diana doing upside down and chic" lol
    I'm wondering if you were a certain age when that came out that it so impressed you?? So much of what is personally favored within the long Ross timeline has to do with what age each person was at the time of various releases. For a young Motown Love I WILL SURVIVE was excitingly fresh. The right age to be receptive.

I also welcomed the diana album. A real shot in the arm for someone like myself who wasn't ready to accept the murder of disco and the false narrative that the music had played itself out.

I would place your experience to be similar to mine with LOVE HANGOVER. I was thirsty for the new, and the focus for me was disco, so I wasn't keeping an eye out for anything Diana. Always liked her A LOT but wasn't necessarily craving something from her. Too much other good stuff.

What a delightful surprise when LOVE HANGOVER came out. Not only was Diana doing disco .... she had nailed it. She had the discretionary/persnickety crowds flooding the dance floor in the same way they would for Donna Summer. Quite a feat for someone that had been doing best on the adult contemporary chart.

If you'd like to share Sup, where were you in life when the diana LP was released?
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-19-2024 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Other than the glorious “Chain Reaction”, Diana will never be remembered for anything recorded during her rca period. She certainly didn’t get to where she was by recording such songs as ‘Fool For Your Love” and “Nobody Makes Me Crazy”. Songs which only undermined her credibility as a serious recording artist.
    I think MISSING YOU will be remembered as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

What a delightful surprise when LOVE HANGOVER came out. Not only was Diana doing disco .... she had nailed it. She had the discretionary/persnickety crowds flooding the dance floor in the same way they would for Donna Summer. Quite a feat for someone that had been doing best on the adult contemporary chart.
    You beat me to the punch, Boogie. Like you, I have to go with Love Hangover. A totally unexpected thrill for me in 1976. Like you said, she nailed it, and in her own inimitable style.

Other mind-blowing musical moments: ANMHE, Brown Baby/Save The Children, The Boss album, Upside Down, Missing You.

For shock value, I have to agree with Fool For Your Love and Nobody Makes Me Crazy, both of which I liked [though not immediately ].

Good point about the age factor: Motown Love and I Will Survive, and the many in this forum who grew up or into their Ross fandom during the RCA years.
    Last edited by lucky2012; 06-19-2024 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I think MISSING YOU will be remembered as well.
    I suppose as her last USA hit. Who would have thought?

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    What about Summertime?

I think Love Hangover was a shocking recorded moment.

A shocking reaction to her music was when Upside Down jumped 49 - 10 on Billboards Top 100

A shocking live moment was the last part of My Man that was recently posted again in the Railroad thread

Maybe it didn't "shock" me, but first time I heard Ross' vocals at end of One More Chance where she really went for it vocally, that was an attention grabber, especially on a Masser produced ballad.

Another one that stands out is Come into My Life when the Susaye goes into the stratosphere on that note singing "On" and then the keyboard/synth takes over from her. First time I heard that I had to go back and listen to song immediately again to confirm I heard what I just heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I'm wondering if you were a certain age when that came out that it so impressed you?? So much of what is personally favored within the long Ross timeline has to do with what age each person was at the time of various releases. For a young Motown Love I WILL SURVIVE was excitingly fresh. The right age to be receptive.

I also welcomed the diana album. A real shot in the arm for someone like myself who wasn't ready to accept the murder of disco and the false narrative that the music had played itself out.

I would place your experience to be similar to mine with LOVE HANGOVER. I was thirsty for the new, and the focus for me was disco, so I wasn't keeping an eye out for anything Diana. Always liked her A LOT but wasn't necessarily craving something from her. Too much other good stuff.

If you'd like to share Sup, where were you in life when the diana LP was released?
    my sister and i were kids and she got the album. and we just DANCED to it! and i remember seeing the To Love Again album and diana's mane of hair.

meanwhile we had often played mom's WDOLG album and trying to reconcile the big bubble bouffant Diana with the hip sleek diana 80 image or the wild 80s mane of hair was so hard. we're like - this is the same person!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    What about Summertime?
    That being one of my very favourite Diana songs of all time, but think it unlikely one she will be particularly remembered for.
    There have been quite a few times when Diana has more than exceeded expectation. Her superb interpretations of BH songs on the soundtrack LSTB, plus and when she performed “Amazing Grace” live in Vienna spring to mind.
    Perhaps also and the strength of her voice on the recording of “His Eye Is On The Sparrow”.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Maybe it didn't "shock" me, but first time I heard Ross' vocals at end of One More Chance where she really went for it vocally, that was an attention grabber, especially on a Masser produced ballad.
    This!

In this same vein, my choice is her rendition of the gospel standard "Ninety-Nine and a Half" with the choir for her "Red Hot Rhythm + Blues" TV special. She growled and squalled with the best of them--a fierce showcase of her church choir background.

Honorable mention: Her "Carry On" cover. Martha Wash is a tough act to follow-- Diana sang her face off, taking it to chu'ch! Nuts to those who say the lady can't "sang."

Yes I agree with those shocking moments - no one expected any of what occurred with LSTB. Most would have expected a modest reaction at best - something like Beyonce got for Dreamgirls.

99 and 1/2 and Christmas in Vienna were also big surprises.

And her rendition of the National Anthem at the Super Bowl.

LOVIN LIVIN & GIVIN'....this is my fav DR dance cut...once again, only 1 version works for me...the Ross '78 LP / B side The Boss 12" single....all the edits I've heard I don't like at all...It's very Euro disco...reminds me of Amanda Lear's excellent Follow Me and of course Donna Summers I Feel Love gets mentioned a lot when this song comes up.
    I love it...the swirling keyboard, the ticking effect, the flute, her improved scat vocal moment...and the "farting" trip over itself bass line..
    You're My Driving Wheel was quite a surprise...its a unusual song.....I always [[once again) loved only the LP version- not any edits/alts...Scherrie's fall behind and catch up lead...and the hand percussion and banging acoustic piano....I think this sounds even better slowed down just a tad.

Another moment, not a shocker, but certainly pushing herself--Diana Ross singing "Strange Fruit" nearly a capella for Stolen Moments show. In fact whole show was a good change of pace for her and it's a shame she didn't tour it with those musicians. It deserved to be explored more rather than be a one off.

Another moment, not a shocker, but certainly pushing herself--Diana Ross singing "Strange Fruit" nearly a capella for Stolen Moments show. In fact whole show was a good change of pace for her and it's a shame she didn't tour it with those musicians. It deserved to be explored more rather than be a one off.
    She also sang Strange Fruit acapella at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony for Bille Holiday in 2000. I was absolutely stunned as were the people watching with me.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    LOVIN LIVIN & GIVIN'....this is my fav DR dance cut...once again, only 1 version works for me...the Ross '78 LP / B side The Boss 12" single....all the edits I've heard I don't like at all...It's very Euro disco...reminds me of Amanda Lear's excellent Follow Me and of course Donna Summers I Feel Love gets mentioned a lot when this song comes up.
    I love it...the swirling keyboard, the ticking effect, the flute, her improved scat vocal moment...and the "farting" trip over itself bass line..
    You're My Driving Wheel was quite a surprise...its a unusual song.....I always [[once again) loved only the LP version- not any edits/alts...Scherrie's fall behind and catch up lead...and the hand percussion and banging acoustic piano....I think this sounds even better slowed down just a tad.
    I have to agree with you on both. I love the Ross'78 version. It's total Ross disco perfection, along with Love Hangover, Upside Down and No One Gets The Prize.
    The TGIF version is like a different song altogether.

I appear to also be in the minority about Driving Wheel. I, too, was wonderfully surprised by it and it remains one of my favorites on the album, along with Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good and Let Yourself Go.
    Last edited by lucky2012; 06-22-2024 at 09:09 AM.

Returning to the original topic, yes it was a moment of revelation. I remember reading a review of the concert that thought this performance the highlight of the show, where she forgot she was Diana Ross for a moment and just totally immersed herself in the song.
    Sadly this didn’t happen to often as the years progressed.