[REMOVE ADS]

UK Silver Disc for I Hear A Symphony Album

Hello friends and music lovers

I have been reading these posts for many years now and since nobody has posted about the Symphony Album passing Silver certification last month I decided I would say hi and make this my first post here.

https://www.bpi.co.uk/brit-certified

Type Supremes or Motown

This marks the first time a studio album by the Supremes has passed certification in the UK, although six of their compilation albums have:

LOVE SUPREME - 1989 - SILVER

YOU KEEP ME HANGIN' ON -1997 - GOLD

40 GOLDEN MOTOWN GREATS - 1998 - GOLD

THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION - 1998 - SILVER

NUMBER ONES - 2003 - GOLD

ALL TIME GREATS - 2019 - SILVER

In addition to this the Supremes have four BPI certified singles:

WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO - SILVER

BABY LOVE - GOLD

STOP! IN THE NAME OF LOVE - SILVER

YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE - PLATINUM
    Last edited by Motown Love; 06-16-2024 at 05:11 PM.

Hi What qualifies for silver certification? Is that like Platinum in the states? Always nice when Supremes get an award

Welcome to the Forum

Thank you Milven, a silver album in the UK is 60,000 units. 100,000 for gold and 300,000 for platinum.

For singles it's 200k silver, 400k gold and 600k platinum.

Ross as a vocalist now has 36 certified albums in the UK.
    Last edited by Motown Love; 06-16-2024 at 05:28 PM.

I noted the release date. It appears that this is the 2012 Expanded Edition. Well done Harry, Andy , George & Kevin!!

Yes pj1 this is the 2012 Edition. Interestingly none of the singles from this album were ever big hits in the UK, the title track barely made the top 40 way back in 1965, and yet here it stands today as the first Supremes studio album to pass certification.

Here are Diana's BPI awards as a solo artist:

ALBUMS:

I'm Still Waiting [Surrender in the US] - 1971 - SILVER

Lady Sings The Blues - 1972 - GOLD

Greatest Hits - 1972 - GOLD

Touch Me In The Morning - 1973 - GOLD

Diana and Marvin - 1973 - GOLD

Diana Ross - 1976 - GOLD

Greatest Hits Vol 2 - 1976 - GOLD

An Evening With Diana Ross - 1977 - SILVER

Baby It's Me - 1977 - SILVER

20 Golden Greats - 1979 - PLATINUM

Diana - 1980 - GOLD

Why Do Fools Fall In Love - 1981 - GOLD

All The Great Hits - 1981 - PLATINUM

Diana's Duets - 1982 - SILVER

Silk Electric - 1982 - SILVER

Love Songs - 1982 - PLATINUM

Portrait - 1983 - GOLD

Love Songs [Michael Jackson & Diana Ross] - 1987 - PLATINUM

Workin' Overtime - 1989 - SILVER

Greatest Hits Live - 1989 - GOLD

Force Behind The Power - 1991 - PLATINUM

Motown's Greatest Hits - 1992 - SILVER

One Woman: The Ultimate Collection - 1993 - PLATINUM X4

A Very Special Season - 1994 - GOLD

Voice Of Love - 1996 - GOLD

40 Golden Motown Greats - 1998 - GOLD

Love And Life - The Very Best Of - 2001 - PLATINUM

Number Ones - 2003 - GOLD

The Greatest - 2011 - GOLD

SINGLES:

Ain't No Mountain High Enough - 1970 - SILVER

You Are Everything [Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye] - 1974 - SILVER

Upside Down - 1980 - GOLD

My Old Piano - 1980 - SILVER

I'm Coming Out - 1980 - PLATINUM

Endless Love - 1981 - GOLD

Why Do Fools Fall In Love - 1981 - SILVER

Chain Reaction - 1986 - GOLD

When You Tell Me That You Love Me - 1991 - SILVER

In addition to the information above, 2 singles by the Supremes and 1 by Diana Ross received Disc Weekly [1964-1966] / Disc Music & Echo [1966-1972] Silver Discs for UK sales of over 250,000 copies:

Where Did Our Love Go [1964]

Baby Love [1964]

I'm Still Waiting [1971]

https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...s-1959-to-1973

Notes:

In 1973,
    Disc's awards were superseded by the British Phonographic Industry [BPI].

When YOU ARE EVERYTHING, UPSIDE DOWN and MY OLD PIANO and WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE reached Silver status the standard was 250,000 copies.

When CHAIN REACTION reached Gold status the standard was 500,000 copies.

Regarding 20 GOLDEN GREATS - DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES [1977], this album spent 7 weeks at number one in the UK and was awarded platinum status according to several sources. However this LP is not listed on the BPI database. The 20 GOLDEN GREATS that does appear is clearly the Diana Ross solo LP released in 1979.
    Last edited by Motown Love; 06-20-2024 at 07:05 AM.

Even "official", I wonder how accurate are those certifications. Baby it's me was awarded a Silver disk while it never charted but charting in the Top20 and supported by"Chain reaction", Eaten Alive isn't even Silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    Even "official", I wonder how accurate are those certifications. Baby it's me was awarded a Silver disk while it never charted but charting in the Top20 and supported by"Chain reaction", Eaten Alive isn't even Silver.
    I agree that some of the information here seems strange, after years of searching I am still unable to find any reliable info regarding the UK sales of Eaten Alive. Chartmasters.org has it's UK sales/shipments at 150,000 copies, however there appears to be no other reliable info anywhere to confirm or support this.

https://chartmasters.org/diana-ross-...d-songs-sales/

I think they're pretty accurate - sometimes record companies don't even bother claiming a certification [[yes, really).

Certifications are based on shipments so sometimes the record might not actually sell the certification level at retail.

My Old Piano is a good example of this - because of the success of Upside Down shops stocked MOP to the 250k level and Silver Disc was awarded but a lot of the copies weren't actually sold but would then be returned, however once a certification is made it is not rescinded.

With the British Market Research Bureau who compiled the charts then now defunct there's some dispute as to what exactly the multiplier is for the early 80's charts.

Returns from a percentage of the record stores in the UK but including the multiples Woolworths, Smiths, Boots etc would be taken and then converted to 100%.

It's uncertain whether this was 10, 11 or 12 for 1981 but Piano had a total panel sale of 20,292 so it was somewhere between 200/240k but below the 250k.

Weekly charts are only a reflection of relative sales between records so records can sell over a longer period of time or at a busy time of year e.g. December when sales would spike massively.

Chain Reaction took Eaten Alive into the chart early 1986 but when people realised it did not reflect the rest of the album it fell away quickly 4 weeks in the top 20 reaching #11 and a few weeks lower down wouldn't make 60k in sales.

Baby It's Me was a freak - it never sold enough in any one week to make the Top 50 which was all that was issued to the public then but it was just outside for all of the last 3 months of 1977.

The BMRB issued a monthly Top 200 chart to the Industry and BIM was in the top 100 for Oct, Nov and Dec.

Even albums at the bottom of the monthly chart for December would have pretty big sales.

Baby It's Me sold in excess of 85k despite not managing to crack the Top 50!

Thank you for adding some great info here Florence

It would be interesting to know where Chartmasters gets it's US physical sales from.

Information on RCA singles sales is practically NIL and Motown was very secretive of its sales and - anything is more or less a guess although it may be an informed one.

Maybe there's something I don't know but a figure of 160k in the UK for the Eaten Alive album looks pure nonsense.

If you're interested Motown Love there is a site called Havenforum.co.uk which has a list of the panel sales of all chart records in the 1980s.

From 1980 -1983 when BMRB compiled the chart the totals are monthly and from 1984 when Gallup took over weekly - you can see all the figures for Diana here.

These are bona fide figures taken from the companies' records which were on public display.

Maybe you've already seen these at UKMix.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    It would be interesting to know where Chartmasters gets it's US physical sales from.

Information on RCA singles sales is practically NIL and Motown was very secretive of its sales and - anything is more or less a guess although it may be an informed one.

Maybe there's something I don't know but a figure of 160k in the UK for the Eaten Alive album looks pure nonsense.

If you're interested Motown Love there is a site called Havenforum.co.uk which has a list of the panel sales of all chart records in the 1980s.

From 1980 -1983 when BMRB compiled the chart the totals are monthly and from 1984 when Gallup took over weekly - you can see all the figures for Diana here.

These are bona fide figures taken from the companies' records which were on public display.

Maybe you've already seen these at UKMix.
    Thank you florence I have looked these over still not sure what panel sales or multiplier means but I will figure it out

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Love View Post

Regarding 20 GOLDEN GREATS - DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES [1977], this album spent 7 weeks at number one in the UK and was awarded platinum status according to several sources. However this LP is not listed on the BPI database. The 20 GOLDEN GREATS that does appear is clearly the Diana Ross solo LP released in 1979.
    It appears that this LP was certified platinum to commemorate sales of more than 1,000,000 worth of the album.

https://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=626922

The current platinum standard of 300,000 copies that applied to later Diana Ross releases did not apply in 1977 as the standard was then based on wholesale revenue rather than actual sales/shipments.

From Wikipedia:

The number of sales required to qualify for Platinum, Gold and Silver discs was changed to the current thresholds of Platinum [300,000 units], Gold [100,000 units] and Silver [60,000 units] in 1979 for albums above a minimum RRP. Below the minimum RRP, the thresholds are doubled. Prior to this, the thresholds were based on monetary revenue: Platinum [1,000,000], Gold [150,000 from April 1973 to September 1974, 250,000 from September 1974 to January 1977, and 300,000 from 1977 until 1979] and Silver [75,000 from April 1973 to January 1975, 100,000 from January 1975 to January 1977, and 150,000 from 1977 until 1979].
    Last edited by Motown Love; 07-10-2024 at 01:15 PM.