[REMOVE ADS]

Diana's Ten Minutes At The train Station:

Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-15-2024 at 04:02 PM.

Thanks for posting. Do you think she made the best use of that time ? I'm not sure editing out [[ maybe not her decision) Thank You was a great idea, I l'm liking that song more as time passes.

Quote Originally Posted by mindful1 View Post
    Thanks for posting. Do you think she made the best use of that time ? I'm not sure editing out [[ maybe not her decision) Thank You was a great idea, I l'm liking that song more as time passes.
    Thank you for thanking and
    THANK YOU was edited out?

Best use of time? Interesting that you're wondering that too.
    I think this performance illustrates that one size does not fit all. Diana's got her shtick so locked in that she can't seem to break free. Doesn't seem to be in the moment. ...She needs to acknowledge whats going on around her .....has she ever ridden that train, been in that station ?? Needs to say so ....or did she live nearbye?? Whatever kind a story ...."I once picked up Michael Jackson at this station.., he and his brothers were coming back from a show in Chicago ... "

Unfortunately she's got no "train" oriented songs in her repertoire to perform here to make her performance more relevant. But she is the grand queenstress of Motown of which she doesn't mention Motown once. This would've been a great time to do a Detroit Motown medley instead of using both UPSIDE DOWN and I'M COMING OUT which was overkill of the cutesy.

I'm picturing had this been Gladys Knight instead with her doing an exaggerated version of MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA ...& having some real fun with it ....could probably successfully make that a ten minute romp in of itself. Come up with a couple of other train songs to tie in as well ...I could see Gladys doing that.

Diana needs to go off the grid a little .... doing this type of show is adventurous in of itself [& bravo to her] ....would be nice to see her work it more.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-16-2024 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Thank you for thanking and
    THANK YOU was edited out?

Best use of time? Interesting that you're wondering that too.
    I think this performance illustrates that one size does not fit all. Diana's got her shtick so locked in that she can't seem to break free. Doesn't seem to be in the moment. ...She needs to acknowledge whats going on around her .....has she ever ridden that train, been in that station ?? Needs to say so ....or did she live nearbye?? Whatever kind a story ...."I once picked up Michael Jackson at this station.., he and his brothers were coming back from a show in Chicago ... "

Unfortunately she's got no "train" oriented songs in her repertoire to perform here to make her performance more relevant. But she is the grand queenstress of Motown of which she doesn't mention Motown once. This would've been a great time to do a Detroit Motown medley instead of using both UPSIDE DOWN and I'M COMING OUT which was overkill of the cutesy.

I'm picturing had this been Gladys Knight instead with her doing an exaggerated version of MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA ...& having some real fun with it ....could probably successfully make that a ten minute romp in of itself. Come up with a couple of other train songs to tie in as well ...I could see Gladys doing that.

Diana needs to go off the grid a little .... doing this type of show is adventurous in of itself [& bravo to her] ....would be nice to see her work it more.
    Thank you was edited out of the NBC telecast. How about How Long has that Evening Train been Gone? and yes a few references to Detroit would have been in order and Motown.

I thought it was a truly great TV appearance, she looked and sounded great and even her "repeat after me..." message got over quite well. She seemed happy to be there and I thought it was her best TV performance in recent years.

has she had any TV performances in recent years? Oh the British ones ....yes definitely better than those....this is a thumbs up showing by her.

and thankfully she kept to herself

Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-17-2024 at 10:39 AM.

has she had any TV performances in recent years? Oh the British ones ....yes definitely better than those....this is a thumbs up showing by her.
    To celebrate her 75th birthday [2019], Diana gave a nice performance at the Grammys, where she sang a few of her hits.

The same year [I believe], Diana also did a great performance of MY MAN on the MOTOWN 60: A GRAMMY CELEBRATION special.

Those are the most noteworthy of the last few years.

"My Man" at Motown 60, absolutely wonderful Reese!! I know I teared up during this segment when it originally aired, and it was pretty close just watching it again on Youtube.
    Darin

I forgot that she also did some tv appearances around the release of her Xmas album back in 2018, Xmas in Rockefeller Center and Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I forgot that she also did some tv appearances around the release of her Xmas album back in 2018, Xmas in Rockefeller Center and Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.
    ohhh, is that why she did those events? I thought she was just embracing life.

Quote Originally Posted by mindful1 View Post
    Thank you was edited out of the NBC telecast. How about How Long has that Evening Train been Gone? and yes a few references to Detroit would have been in order and Motown.
    Good one! Relevant, but I think she'd have lost the crowd performing that.
    She could've said "do you remember when my girls included this one in their routine?" and gone into a rousing rendition of LOVE TRAIN ...... guaranteed crowd pleaser with likely only 15% knowing or caring who actually had a hit with it way back when ...
    Diana did manage a few Detroit mentions when her mic was live, but why the word Motown can't escape her lips seems very odd especially on a rare occasion when she's just blocks away from her old turf ......she must really have a bad association .....

I loved it.... "So good to be home".... "I love you Detroit"

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    "My Man" at Motown 60, absolutely wonderful Reese!! I know I teared up during this segment when it originally aired, and it was pretty close just watching it again on Youtube.
    Darin

This has to be one of her best performances ever - but I doubt that most casual fans would agree. Many of you probably would.

Rob, do you think it's live. I've become doubtful these days of artists in general and especially knowing Diana's history and skill at miming on TV shows all through her years as a Supreme and after.
    Diana's voice is heard so consistently even regardless of mic positioning while Berry's firm hand clapping is not heard at all . What do you make of that?
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-17-2024 at 08:39 PM.

I would agree one of her best ever, especially -when thinking of her later years

It never crossed my mind that My Man at the Grammys might have some additions to make it sound so good - could be

But I did wonder how much augmentation went on for the train station - I guess there was a lot of help because all these performers didn’t bring back up singers and their bands

Diana was singing to a track playing, Diana was lip synching some, some time you could hear it. you can really hear it on Thank You, i'm not made at her.

Singing those old relics made her seem as dated as that old train station.

Thank you Diana for going back home !!! That says a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Singing those old relics made her seem as dated as that old train station.
    Same for this tarred old abra abra dick grabba:

does anyone think that vocal was live??

Every time I look at this motley crew I spit out my coffee laughing and thank GOD Diana wasn't stuck in the middle of this mess.

...Although.... her bright red, puffed-out, Big Bird attire would have been the creme de la creme!!

heee haw!!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-26-2024 at 03:03 PM.

It's too bad performances like this can't be real .... poor Diana has to stay with her prerecorded track so she hasn't room for being personable ... no reflecting on where she is or why she's there.... which is supposedly to celebrate this treasured train station [Are we to conclude it means nothing to her ?? She expresses no point as to her being there. .....I guess to get paid?]
    So, she does a quickie "anywhere for anybody" canned performance. And that is really a shame.

She could've and should've had some fun with this :

For example during AINT NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH, as she sings no wind no rain, can stop me ... and the wind is ripping her wispy hair ever which way ....she might have tossed in a comment like .."well, except maybe this wind !!"

and speaking of wind: for crying out loud haven't they [her crew] figured out to have some sort of head gear ..a bandana, a tiara ... a raspberry beret, that Rhonda could bring out to her during uncooperative outside shows so she's not constantly battling it and picking hair out of her mouth ..

and still speaking of wind, hey Rhonda ....it's really breezy out, your Mom doesn't need to be clutching a pointless fan, why don't you walk out on stage and relieve her of it?

[but please don't sing]
    hee haw!

hmmmm.....just call my name and I'll be on that train in a hurry ..... while pointing back to the station !!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-28-2024 at 07:32 PM.

Most of this being just singing along to pre-recorded tracks which of course sounds fine. Remove PR vocal track such as on “”Mountain” and she sounds screechy and off key.
    Being 80 it’s unfair to expect to much, but i can’t honestly say this performance stood out in any way.

and speaking of wind: for crying out loud haven't they [her crew] figured out to have some sort of head gear ..a bandana, a tiara ... a raspberry beret, that Rhonda could bring out to her during uncooperative outside shows so she's not constantly battling it and picking hair out of her mouth ...

!
    ... and out of her eyes!!

For crying out loud where are her handlers ? They just shove her out on stage to fend for herself??

No family members are shepherding her? Who's accompanying our beloved Miss Ross ??!!!! .....
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-04-2024 at 02:14 PM.

The moments she’s actually singing live her voice sounds shot.
    Glimpses of the petulant diva the way she snatches that bottle of water.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 07-05-2024 at 05:36 PM.