[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Keep an eye

Keep an eye

Originally released on LOVE CHILD in 1968, KAE was later re-recorded and included on Diana's debut album in 1970. Why?

Was it that strong of a track? Possible single release? Something to keep Diana's sound "familiar" with DRATS fans?

How telling is the line: THERE USED TO BE THREE OF US SEEN ALL OVER TOWN, NOW THERE'S ONLY TWO, SOMEONE'S MISSIN', GUESS WHO.

I always associated the "someone's missin'" to Flo's departure in the Supremes, but as a Diana solo, maybe it's referencing HER departure?

A&S probably ran out of material. As it was, besides KEEP AN EYE, there were six other remakes on the album.

Myself, I think it was a waste of time. The version on LOVE CHILD is great but Diana sounds bored with it on her solo version. If they had rearranged it significantly, it would have made more sense.

it would have been great if Diana Ross 70 had had a full EE release like Surrender did. Get Valerie to offer some commentary and insights.

clearly A&S enjoyed taking a song and experimenting with different production styles and different singers. there are several tracks on DR 70 like Mountain, You're all i need. and on Surrender - I'm a Winner, Can't give back the love, didn't you know

did other artists record Now That There's You, Something on my mind, I wouldn't change, dark side of the world, or where there was darkness?

the differences on the two version of KAE are very subtle but interesting. the tracks and production are nearly the same but Diana plays with things a little differently. I wonder if A&S just loved this song

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    did other artists record Now That There's You, Something on my mind, I wouldn't change, dark side of the world, or where there was darkness?
    Syreeta recorded SOMETHING ON MY MIND.

Blinky recorded I WOULDN'T CHANGE THE MAN HE IS.

Marvin Gaye recorded DARK SIDE OF THE WORLD, although it wasn't released until after his passing.

I think the Velvelettes might have done a version of DARK SIDE under its original title, BRING BACK THE SUNSHINE.
    Last edited by reese; 06-14-2024 at 04:02 PM.

I loved the version on LOVE CHILD...

I liked the solo version even more....she kind of really bit into it...

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I liked the solo version even more....she kind of really bit into it...
    I think the same as regards most of her early 70ís recordings, with her vocals more powerful and dramatic.

It may be that Diana wanted to tackle the song again because she liked it and thought she could better the first recording. For me, the solo version sounds smoother than the Supremes version.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    It may be that Diana wanted to tackle the song again because she liked it and thought she could better the first recording. For me, the solo version sounds smoother than the Supremes version.
    I think either Diana or Ashford & Simpson [or all three] liked the song and wanted to reinterpret it. I wondered why they revisited it for her all-important solo debut album, but I really like both versions. The two versions are perfect for their respective albums: the Motown R&B Love Child album and the elegant, mature solo debut album.

I loved the version on the solo album and I think the version on Love Child was overlooked. Speaking of A & S songs that were done on other artists I believe the Four Tops did "Remember Me".

There is a version of Where There Is Darkness on Valerie Simpson. Outside of Motown, Randy Crawford recorded that song.

For all the reimagining Ashford & Simpson did with their own songs, I find it rather surprising they cut "Keep An Eye" for Diana in basically the same arrangement as the Supremes version. They did a great version with Gladys/Pips which happens to be my favorite version of the song. One would think they would have done something different for Diana's solo.

There were versions done latter by The Jacksons, Marcus Simeone and KeeQ. Diana's version was much slower and sexier to me.