[REMOVE ADS]

Personal on "How long has that evening train been gone"

Hi folks, maybe someone can help me to clarify, who is on the record on the above mentioned song.

The Backround are Cindy, Mary & The Andantes, only the Andantes or only Cindy and Mary?

Thanks for any help.

Sounds like it’s just the andantes

I don't hear Mary and Cindy on that track at all

From the Love Child lp I only hear M & C on Keep An Eye, Sunny Boy and on parts of I'll Set You Free and You've Been So Wonderful. That might be them on Does Your Mama Know, the background mix is so quiet it's hard to tell. You can really hear Cindy on Will This Be The Day, flip of Love Child single. Not sure about about Can't Shake It Loose or You Ain't Livin.

to my ear, it's M, C and the As on Train. the individual "how long's" seem to be M and C. although on the choruses the As are so loud that they really drown out the others.

Here's who i think is singing backgrounds on the LC album tracks

Love Child - the As
    Keep an eye - Valerie and Nicholas, plus other session singers. maybe the As but not sure they really used them
    How Long - M, C and As
    Does your mama - As
    Honey Bee - As
    Some things - Valerie and Nicholas, plus other session singers. maybe the As but not sure they really used them

He's my Sunny Boy - M and C
    You've been so Wonderful - i think the As but maybe M and C too
    Chains - A's
    You ain't living - M and C
    I'll set you free - As
    Can't shake it loose - M and C. and M duets with Diana on the 2nd and 3rd verses.

I swear I hear Mary and Cindy mixed in there with the Andantes but there's been many times where I swore I heard Mary and it turned out to be someone who sounded like her.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I swear I hear Mary and Cindy mixed in there with the Andantes but there's been many times where I swore I heard Mary and it turned out to be someone who sounded like her.
    That's my thought as well. It sounds like Mary, but it could be that one of the Andantes sounded like her.

I for sure hear Mary and Cindy on He's My Sunny Boy, You've Been So Wonderful, and I'll Set You Free. Not sure if one or both of them are in the background on any other tracks.

For the Ashford and Simpson material. It’s Nick, Val and Jo Armstead. They usually do the background if whichever group isn’t around to sing,

Mary and Cindy are on Sunny Boy, You Been So Wonderful to Me. I’ll set you free [[ann anndante may be added) and I can’t shake you loose. They and the andantes are on Does you mama know about me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    to my ear, it's M, C and the As on Train. the individual "how long's" seem to be M and C. although on the choruses the As are so loud that they really drown out the others.

Here's who i think is singing backgrounds on the LC album tracks

Love Child - the As
    Keep an eye - Valerie and Nicholas, plus other session singers. maybe the As but not sure they really used them
    How Long - M, C and As
    Does your mama - As
    Honey Bee - As
    Some things - Valerie and Nicholas, plus other session singers. maybe the As but not sure they really used them

He's my Sunny Boy - M and C
    You've been so Wonderful - i think the As but maybe M and C too
    Chains - A's
    You ain't living - M and C
    I'll set you free - As
    Can't shake it loose - M and C. and M duets with Diana on the 2nd and 3rd verses.

Many of you know these voices much more than I

But I sense doubt creeping in as the years go by; doubt about how much group members are actually on the recordings; their contributions seem mainly in concert

When you hear Smokey say it was only the lead singer that really mattered and Bob Ohlsson say that the Andantes were often better than the groups members who they didn’t want to bring in from the road, it doesn’t encourage the belief we are hearing group members from any group
    Last edited by jobeterob; 06-12-2024 at 02:24 PM.

With the Expanded Editions on pause [[or completed), I'd love love love the possibility of at least getting the booklets; timelines and other insider information which made these releases invaluable.

REFLECTIONS and LOVE CHILD are so historic in the story of the Supremes. I'm sure all of our questions would be answered within the pages.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Many of you know these voices much more than I

But I sense doubt creeping in as the years go by; doubt about how much group members are actually on the recordings; their contributions seem mainly in concert

When you hear Smokey say it was only the lead singer that really mattered and Bob Ohlsson say that the Andantes were often better than the groups members who they didn’t want to bring in from the road, it doesn’t encourage the belief we are hearing group members from any group
    From 1967 onwards, I always just assume it's the Andantes on the girls groups songs. I don't really know enough about Lois, Sandy or Ann or even Cindy's to know if they're in the background or not. Nothing against Cindy [[she doesn't get enough credit imo), but her voice was very generic. I can most of the time easily pick out Mary and especially Flo's voices. Same with Betty Kelly and at times Rosalind.

From 1967 onwards, I always just assume it's the Andantes on the girls groups songs. I don't really know enough about Lois, Sandy or Ann or even Cindy's to know if they're in the background or not. Nothing against Cindy [[she doesn't get enough credit imo), but her voice was very generic. I can most of the time easily pick out Mary and especially Flo's voices. Same with Betty Kelly and at times Rosalind.
    As far as I know, the songs that are just Diana, Mary, and Cindy [[aside from the original Funny Girl album and live tracks) are:
    1. Then
    2. I'm Gonna Make It
    3. Heaven Must Have Sent You
    4. Bah, Bah, Bah
    5. You've Been So Wonderful
    6. He's My Sunny Boy
    7. Will This Be The Day
    8. Am I Asking Too Much
    9. If You Should Walk Away
    10. I'll Set You Free
    11. Stormy
    12. For Once In My Life
    13. You're Gonna Hear from Me

And then there are songs like The Nitty Gritty, Can't You See It's Me, and The Beginning of the End, which include M&C with other session singers. I would venture a guess that they're on more tracks mixed somewhere in the background.

"How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone" is Mary, Cindy, and the Andantes.

Mary is quite prominent toward the end of song singing "I wanna know." This was a session that had Mary, Cindy, and the Andantes together in the studio.

It’s kind of reassuring to know that M & C are indeed featured on so many of these late 60’s recordings.

they were being used across the board well before 67. on the Marvelettes Too Many Fish, the As are clearly there doing the 3-part harmony. I do things the Ms are on the song too but maybe buried or they're just singing in unison while the A's add the harmonies. If you listen to Too Many Fish and then I'll Keep On Holding On or Heartache Dead Ahead, the contract is very apparent. I really like all 3 songs and i even like the rougher, less polished sound from the Ms. I think it was part of their brand and identity. it's grittier.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    they were being used across the board well before 67. on the Marvelettes Too Many Fish, the As are clearly there doing the 3-part harmony. I do things the Ms are on the song too but maybe buried or they're just singing in unison while the A's add the harmonies. If you listen to Too Many Fish and then I'll Keep On Holding On or Heartache Dead Ahead, the contract is very apparent. I really like all 3 songs and i even like the rougher, less polished sound from the Ms. I think it was part of their brand and identity. it's grittier.
    They are on Too Many Fish In the Sea but that's the Marvelettes on the chorus. Now the "oh yeah"s during the verses, that's the Andantes.

I'm still not sure if I'll Keep Holding On is the Andantes alone or with the Marvelettes. I know once you get to Don't Mess With Bill, the Andantes take over on the singles from that point on. The Supremes and Vandellas it was not as frequent until 1967.

And yeah I know they were used before 1967 [[Merry Christmas anyone?) But it was usually in addition to the group members themselves. After 1966 several group members like Cindy, Lois, Sandy, Ann etc were basically hired to be a Supreme, Marvelette or Vandella for purely appearances proposes.
    Last edited by floyjoy678; 06-13-2024 at 10:54 AM.

They are on Too Many Fish In the Sea but that's the Marvelettes on the chorus. Now the "oh yeah"s during the verses, that's the Andantes.

I'm still not sure if I'll Keep Holding On is the Andantes alone or with the Marvelettes. I know once you get to Don't Mess With Bill, the Andantes take over on the singles from that point on. The Supremes and Vandellas it was not as frequent until 1967.

And yeah I know they were used before 1967 [[Merry Christmas anyone?) But it was usually in addition to the group members themselves. After 1966 several group members like Cindy, Lois, Sandy, Ann etc were basically hired to be a Supreme, Marvelette or Vandella for purely appearances proposes.
    haha unless i see the session logs I'll never believe that the Ms alone are doing the choruses on Fish. the harmonies are just too clean and polished. but i was thinking the "oh yeah's" WERE the Ms lol. it really is a challenge to decipher who's on what.

of course the Ms do the leads on the chorus. its the chordal work on the title during the chorus.