[REMOVE ADS]

Four Tops singer sues hospital

After arriving April 7, 2023, Morris told a nurse and security guard he was a member of the Four Tops and that he was concerned about potential threats from stalkers and fans, according to the lawsuit.

Sounds like some definite mental issues, or at the very least, an inflated ego.

I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, but this case seems like it has no merit. He's claiming that the staff wrongfully assumed he was mentally ill. However, his lawsuit says that he told the nurses and security that he was "concerned about potential threats from stalkers and fans." If there was a legitimate threat, then that would be something you'd go to the police about and not a hospital. Sounds like he sadly had a psychotic break. Hope he gets the help he needs, instead of wasting time with leeching lawyers.

It's no wonder they thought he was mentally ill. I would assume that anyone who follows the Four Tops knew he was a recent newbie so to speak. I must admit, I have never heard his name mentioned as a member of the group. Am I alone in this regard?

I thought Duke had discharged him before this drama happened.

Singer sues hospital, says staff thought he was mentally ill and wasn't member of Four Tops
    WARREN, Mich. [[AP) — The lead singer of the Four Tops said a Detroit-area hospital restrained him and ordered a psychological exam after refusing to believe that he was part of the Motown music group.
    Alexander Morris, who is Black, filed a lawsuit Monday against Ascension Macomb-Oakland Hospital in Warren, alleging racial discrimination and other misconduct during an April 2023 visit for chest pain and breathing problems.
    Hospital staff “wrongfully assumed he was mentally ill when he revealed his identity as a celebrity figure,” the lawsuit says.
    The Four Tops started in the 1950s and had hits such as "I Can’t Help Myself [[Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)″ and “It's The Same Old Song.” The group was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1990.
    Morris is not an original member, but he joined the group in 2019.
    The lawsuit says a nurse finally believed Morris was in the Four Tops and the psychological exam was canceled.
    The hospital offered a $25 gift card as an apology, but Morris refused to accept it, the lawsuit says.
    “We remain committed to honoring human dignity and acting with integrity and compassion for all persons and the community," the hospital said in response to the lawsuit. "We do not condone racial discrimination of any kind. We will not comment on pending litigation.”
    Morris talked publicly about the incident last year, saying he had returned to Detroit, his hometown, and was "being told that I’m insane or schizophrenic.

I'm somewhat surprised this has made the local state news in my small Michigan city. I guess Mr. Morris is getting the attention he was seeking....
    Darin

My story was from the Canadian Press - bizarre what is news

I wonder what would happen if Chantelle Baker, self proclaimed later day lead singer of the Supremes, ended up in the ER and made her claims? 5150 most likely and no offer of even a gift card from Meijer Thrifty Acres.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I thought Duke had discharged him before this drama happened.
    He is a current member, although i never heard of him til all this happened

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, but this case seems like it has no merit. He's claiming that the staff wrongfully assumed he was mentally ill. However, his lawsuit says that he told the nurses and security that he was "concerned about potential threats from stalkers and fans." If there was a legitimate threat, then that would be something you'd go to the police about and not a hospital. Sounds like he sadly had a psychotic break. Hope he gets the help he needs, instead of wasting time with leeching lawyers.
    This was reported on CNN this morning. Also, he and his lawyer will be interviewed tomorrow morning on CNN on FIRST OF ALL WITH VICTOR BLACKWELL at 8 a.m.

From what i get of the story, he was having a legitimate health crisis and went by ambulance to the ER. There really was no need for him to identify himself as a Top and ask for extra security for potential threats from stalkers and fans. We are Motown fans, and many of us never heard of him. Sounds like he may have been a little full of himself and looking for special "diva" attention. Well, he got it. Just not the kind he wanted. Nevertheless, the hospital overreacted. Straight jacket? Was he violent? No . Just full of himself.

I am recording the interview on CNN tomorrow morning, so i can hear his side of the story

Straight jacket???? I've worked in a psychiatric hospital the last 25 years and have never even seen one of these archaic things. Unless he was violent and a danger to himself and others, he would not be physically restrained. If he was, they'd use leather wrist and ankle restraints. Those are last resorts. If he became that violent, the guy really does have some issues.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Straight jacket???? I've worked in a psychiatric hospital the last 25 years and have never even seen one of these archaic things. Unless he was violent and a danger to himself and others, he would not be physically restrained. If he was, they'd use leather wrist and ankle restraints. Those are last resorts. If he became that violent, the guy really does have some issues.
    I think straight jacket was my words. But i just checked and he said that he was put in a restraining jacket. Same difference though. He was restrained

Oh those Four Tops always putting a spin on things ....

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    This was reported on CNN this morning. Also, he and his lawyer will be interviewed tomorrow morning on CNN on FIRST OF ALL WITH VICTOR BLACKWELL at 8 a.m.

From what i get of the story, he was having a legitimate health crisis and went by ambulance to the ER. There really was no need for him to identify himself as a Top and ask for extra security for potential threats from stalkers and fans. We are Motown fans, and many of us never heard of him. Sounds like he may have been a little full of himself and looking for special "diva" attention. Well, he got it. Just not the kind he wanted. Nevertheless, the hospital overreacted. Straight jacket? Was he violent? No . Just full of himself.

I am recording the interview on CNN tomorrow morning, so i can hear his side of the story
    Maybe what seemed to show he was full of himself was part of his delusion or crisis. I mean sometimes these interventions do go terribly wrong. Remember the young guy maybe from Denver who told police even while they were roughing him up that he had some mental condition that he could call forth by name? They didn’t believe him either and I think he ended up dead.

Perhaps he has to be cut a little slack

At least he didn’t say he was Diana Ross who is the “go to” for publicity when all else has failed

I watched the interview earlier today with him and his lawyer. There is enough blame to share with both sides. When you go to an ER, you do what you can to be seen immediately. He should have led off with the chest pain, defibrillator, and any other emergency problems that brought him to the ER. Instead, he was making sure that the fans of a sixth or seventh generation of a sixties singing group were not there stalking him and asking if security was in place and aware that he was there. Give me a break.

And then the hospital overreacted by assuming that he had mental problems. They did put him in some kind of gown or something that restricted him. They also overreacted.

It's a silly, stupid incident and could have been prevented by either side .

Thanks for clarifying this, Milven. I had initially misunderstood and thought that he specifically went to the ER out of paranoia, thinking that he was being stalked by fans. I now see that he went to the ER for a health issue and was concerned about proper security measures being in place in the ER, to manage any potential issues arising from fans. Sounds like he has some delusion of grandeur. I wouldn't be surprised if he got loud and wanted priority treatment, simply because he expects people to be impressed by the fact that he is/was a member of the Four Tops. I also wouldn't be surprised if the staff got frustrated and then made inappropriate and racist remarks. If that is the case, then they were absolutely wrong to do that. As you said Milven, I'm sure things on both sides escalated to an unnecessary point.
    Last edited by carlo; 06-15-2024 at 01:00 PM.

He and Chantal could go on tour together, though with enough security on hand to protect them both from their hordes of stans.

The Four Tops were due to headline six dates here in the UK in September, along with Martha Reeves & The Vandellas, and The Tavares.

There may be no direct consequence to the incident being discussed here, and perhaps fewer ticket sales than anticipated have now made the tour unviable - but within the last week, at least four of the six dates have been cancelled.

My local venue emailed me, stating the reason for cancellation as 'due to circumstances beyond our control', and has already refunded the cost of the tickets.

Look, hospital staff, its one of them dang Four Tops....get 'im!! and make his life miserable ....

... like we ain't got better things to do.