[REMOVE ADS]

The supremes twemty greatest singles - interesting and different list

Of course there is no way that any Supremes fan agrees with a list that someone else compiles, but this list is a bit different. It includes the sixties and seventies songs and it is not based on popularity or hits but on the recording itself. So it includes songs like BAD WEATHER and LET YOURSELF GO.

Nice to see a list of great Supremes songs that includes over one third of the Supremes Seventies Songs.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/ar...t-songs-ranked

always fun to have the girls' music back in the public eye. and i certainly appreciate the author's view across all of the lineups. of course there are differences in opinion on tunes - i think CSAM and BIMAA are much stronger songs that Forever or Love is Here, although i will acknowledge both of those as being unique and something different.

so sometimes important or cutting edge tunes should rank higher. and sometimes it's just about which you like the best. both make for interesting lists

odds are this is written by somebody [one person = their lone taste] who wasn't born yet then ....so totally void of context.

But that's OK ....that's their reality of experiencing this music ....out of context... that's the way it'll be hereafter ....retro reactions to a pile of music.

Having said that, its an OK list and order , [could acceptably shuffle this Top 20 in any number of various orders]....could probably do one just as convincing using entirely different songs ... ..... with so many to choose from ...

for instance leaving out NO MATTER WHAT SIGN YOU ARE and not explaining to "the people" how misunderstood it was in its greatness .... [as done here with BAD WEATHER]
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-06-2024 at 01:55 PM.

Interesting, inclusive and timely list. I, too, like the "view across all the lineups". I agree with much of the authors comments on the songs.
    A couple of notes:
    I've known about the Rolling Stones' Satisfaction's similarity [and debt] to HDH's Nowhere to Run, but their Paint It Black's similarity to HDH's My World Is Empty is a new revelation.

Good point about HDH's Reflections pre-dating psychedelic soul by about a year. Also, the contemporary use of harpsichord and theremin in mid-60s pop rock.

Agree totally about You Keep Me Hangin' On at the top of the list. It's just as much HDH's masterpiece as Reach Out I'll Be There.

Love the inclusion of Nathan Jones, Automatically Sunshine and High Energy. [But was High Energy a single? And I think Susaye Green would beg to differ about the whistle-note vocals.]

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    ... [But was High Energy a single? And I think Susaye Green would beg to differ about the whistle-note vocals.]
    I always think of singles as 45 rpm seven inch singles. But if you use the term loosely, there was also the 12 inch format.

“High Energy” by The Supremes was released as a 12-inch single. This format was popular for dance and disco tracks during that era. The extended version allowed for more dynamic remixes and longer playtime in the clubs

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I always think of singles as 45 rpm seven inch singles. But if you use the term loosely, there was also the 12 inch format.

“High Energy” by The Supremes was released as a 12-inch single. This format was popular for dance and disco tracks during that era. The extended version allowed for more dynamic remixes and longer playtime in the clubs
    i don't believe it was released on a 12" vinyl single. it was listed on the dance charts alongside Walking. but that was simply the tracks from the lp. motown never released a 12" single on the Sups until the disco medley a few years later. DJs playing the song simply would have used the lp.

it's similar to the listing later in the year of Wheel/LYG/Love i never knew. no 12" on any of those were released and Love I Never Knew only got a 7" release internationally

You may be right. I'm thinking harder now and don't recall a commercial 12" release of the song. I do remember giving my all to promote the LP at the time including doing the unforgivable, which was hiding the fact that the group was the Supremes. To the dance crowd, the Supremes were done, so i hid the fact that they were the Supremes

You may be right. I'm thinking harder now and don't recall a commercial 12" release of the song. I do remember giving my all to promote the LP at the time including doing the unforgivable, which was hiding the fact that the group was the Supremes. To the dance crowd, the Supremes were done, so i hid the fact that they were the Supremes
    i get it - we have to do what we have to do for our girls!

were you a dj at the time? or working in a club? would love to hear more of your memories!!

what were people's reactions to the other tracks on the HE album? like You're What's Missing or Only You.

did you try to sneak the MS&S album in front of people too? I love this album. IMO it's stronger than HE

Back then i had a record shop which later grew into a small chain. I wasn't a dee-jay, but I set up three teen brothers to dee-jay locally and supplied them with the records, many were promos and unavailable.

As for High Energy, whenever we suggested it to a customer in the store, they turned their nose up to it when they realized it was the Supremes. So I took masking tape and covered their name on the cover, told them it was a new group called High Energy and played part of the album for them. They liked what they heard, and bought it. I got quite a few calls from some of them when they got home and realized that they bought a Supremes LP. But it was all good.

The disco part of the store kept growing, and we were the first in the area to have some of the imports like Love and Kisses and Cerrone in the store before they were released in the states. The three brothers that dee jayed had access to these records which were still unavailable they built quite a local fan base. It was a fun time

Back then i had a record shop which later grew into a small chain. I wasn't a dee-jay, but I set up three teen brothers to dee-jay locally and supplied them with the records, many were promos and unavailable.

As for High Energy, whenever we suggested it to a customer in the store, they turned their nose up to it when they realized it was the Supremes. So I took masking tape and covered their name on the cover, told them it was a new group called High Energy and played part of the album for them. They liked what they heard, and bought it. I got quite a few calls from some of them when they got home and realized that they bought a Supremes LP. But it was all good.

The disco part of the store kept growing, and we were the first in the area to have some of the imports like Love and Kisses and Cerrone in the store before they were released in the states. The three brothers that dee jayed had access to these records which were still unavailable they built quite a local fan base. It was a fun time
    sounds great! did you ever get any promotional posters or stands or displays for the supremes? or diana?

did people have the same reaction with MS&S album?

Any list talking about the Supreme's music is a good list.

how would everyone here rank their supremes ALBUMS? I think I'd do the list as:

WDOLG
    Sing R&H
    MS&S
    Right On
    Touch
    There's a place for us [[the planned release not the HIP full collection)
    More Hits
    Floy Joy
    New Ways
    Live at Copa
    Sam Cooke
    Love Child
    Symphony
    High Energy
    TCB
    A Go Go
    Merry Christmas
    Talk of the Town
    Funny Girl
    From Broadway to Hollywood
    Sing HDH
    Reflections
    Promises Kept gathering of tunes
    Farewell
    Disney
    Mag 7
    Sing CW&P
    Supremes 75
    cream of the crop
    Let the sunshine in
    Jimmy Webb
    return of mag 7
    join the temps
    Live in Japan
    Liverpool
    GIT
    Dynamite
    Together
    Meet the supremes

Cool!!

Imports were so much fun and added a certain mystique to the disco experience. Ernie's was a no bones hole in the wall disco! record shop that sprung up overnight just off of Polk street and leading one into the seedy Tenderloin...
    DJs wanted today's hottest records yesterday ...something Tower Records didn't understand. Having them in stock was Ernie's main goal. And having those exciting imports ... from further away the better ...the exotic ...the unknown, the impossible to get ....
    the expensive !!!

yes Cerrone ..... Claudja Barry ... Marsha Hunt ...
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-06-2024 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    odds are this is written by somebody [one person = their lone taste] who wasn't born yet then ....so totally void of context.

But that's OK ....that's their reality of experiencing this music ....out of context... that's the way it'll be hereafter ....retro reactions to a pile of music.

Having said that, its an OK list and order , [could acceptably shuffle this Top 20 in any number of various orders]....could probably do one just as convincing using entirely different songs ... ..... with so many to choose from ...

for instance leaving out NO MATTER WHAT SIGN YOU ARE and not explaining to "the people" how misunderstood it was in its greatness .... [as done here with BAD WEATHER]
    Agree! "No Matter What Sign" is a strong and cool performance, love love love it!!

Quote Originally Posted by mindful1 View Post
    Agree! "No Matter What Sign" is a strong and cool performance, love love love it!!
    well there you go! you need to make a Top 20 and get it on there!
    where would it rank??

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    well there you go! you need to make a Top 20 and get it on there!
    where would it rank??
    ok Here goes quickly off the top of my head lol:

#1 When the Lovelight Shines
    #2 Someday Well be Together
    #3 Back in My Arms
    #4 No Matter What Sign
    #5 Love Child
    #6 My World is Empty
    #7 I'm Gonna Make you Love Me
    #8 Forever Came Today
    #9 Discover me
    #10 You Gave Me Love
    #11 You Can't Hurry Love
    #12 Reflections
    #13 Going Down for the Third Time
    #14 Up the Ladder
    #15 Stoned Love
    #16 Gonna Let my Heart do the Walking
    #17 The Rhythm of Life
    #18 Everybody Got the Right to Love
    #19 I Hear a Symphony
    #20 Long Gone Lover

Quote Originally Posted by mindful1 View Post
    ok Here goes quickly off the top of my head lol:

#1 When the Lovelight Shines
    #2 Someday Well be Together
    #3 Back in My Arms
    #4 No Matter What Sign
    #5 Love Child
    #6 My World is Empty
    #7 I'm Gonna Make you Love Me
    #8 Forever Came Today
    #9 Discover me
    #10 You Gave Me Love
    #11 You Can't Hurry Love
    #12 Reflections
    #13 Going Down for the Third Time
    #14 Up the Ladder
    #15 Stoned Love
    #16 Gonna Let my Heart do the Walking
    #17 The Rhythm of Life
    #18 Everybody Got the Right to Love
    #19 I Hear a Symphony
    #20 Long Gone Lover
    nicely done mindful!
    now you just need to fluff and puff it up with impressive why-so's and it'll be every bit as good as the one being offered here!

[do I know #20??]

the first Supremes record I bought was "Let Me Go The Right Way" with B side "Time Changes Things" which is still one of my fave Supremes records.When I met them Nov. 1962 on Motortown Revue tour in Miami, they could not believe I had their record, I was 11. I could not tell them I only bought it cause they were on the same label as Mary Wells, which is how & why I met them & the whole Revue. Now "When The Lovelight....was played on Miami POP radio & I really loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    sounds great! did you ever get any promotional posters or stands or displays for the supremes? or diana?

did people have the same reaction with MS&S album?
    As the chain grew, we used to get all kinds of goodies from the companies. My first gold record was Anthology by Supremes. Motown gave us posters, concert tickets, merchandise and display materials. I had a life size stand up cut out of Diana Ross in my office which i kept until i retired. Then i packed it up and sent it to a kid that i knew from another Motown board that we both posted on. I wonder if he still has it. I should ask him. He's a grown man now and is a daily contributor to this board.
    Last edited by milven; 06-06-2024 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    the first Supremes record I bought was "Let Me Go The Right Way" with B side "Time Changes Things" which is still one of my fave Supremes records.When I met them Nov. 1962 on Motortown Revue tour in Miami, they could not believe I had their record, I was 11. I could not tell them I only bought it cause they were on the same label as Mary Wells, which is how & why I met them & the whole Revue. Now "When The Lovelight....was played on Miami POP radio & I really loved it.
    WOW You've been a fan a long time. The Supremes were still kind of unknown around that time. You must have made their day when they saw that an eleven year old kid in Miami had bought their record.

#1 - You Can't Hurry Love
    #2 - I Hear A Symphony
    #3 - Where Did Our Love Go
    #4 - You Keep Me Hanging On
    #5 - Baby Love
    #6 - Love Child
    #7 - There's No Stopping Us Now
    #8 - Come See About Me
    #9 - Back In My Arms Again
    #10 - He's All I Got
    #11 - Reflections
    #12 - Someday We'll Be Together
    #13 - My World Is Empty Without You
    #14 - Forever Came Today
    #15 - When The Lovelight Starts Shining
    #16 - In And Out Of Love
    #17 - Stop! In The Name Of Love
    #18 - Going Down For The Third Time
    #19 - The Happening
    #20 - Everything Is Good About You
    ### Didn't include 'I'm Gonna Make You Love Me' as it's a duet

Not bad, referring to the original singles list. I would not personally put Forever Came Today ahead of either YCHL or Itchin, since both of those came out at the absolute height of their popularity and each one would rock your radio right off its table. As the poster immediately before me has noted, Going Down for the Third Time is certainly worthy of mention also.

ok i'm doing a list of the 20 most important songs in their catalog. not just their singles. but i don't know that this is necessarily "in order" of importance.

1. you can't hurry love - IMO this is the perfect supremes song and it's the epitome of their legacy and of "the motown sound." the verses and their story are perfect. some of the most memorable choruses, the backing vocals play the role of Mama echoing her advice, one of the most compelling leads by diana ever
    2. WDOLG - it started it all
    3. you're nobody till someday - what helped break them into the big time clubs
    4. You Keep me hanging on
    5. reflections
    6. someday we'll be together
    7. stoned love
    8. up the ladder - starting all over again
    9. nathan jones
    10. your heart belongs to me - their first elegant song and their vocals are lovely. all four of them too!
    11/12. time changes things - first production of HDH and i'm giving you your freedom - the first written AND produced with HDH. and they occurred within months of each other so i'm co-listing them
    13. stop in the name of love
    14. love is here
    15. sweet dream machine - the experimentation going on here is amazing
    16. The Blue Room - i couldn't decide what R&H tune to include
    17. i'm gonna make you love me - the first mega duet between two massive groups. so many more would follow but this was the first big one.
    18. time to break down
    19. this is the story
    20. he's my man - i struggled with this one because IMO the song is only so-so. but it hit the top spot on the disco chart and completely reintroduced the group to the gay disco scene. frankly i think LYG is the better song but HMM was the one that started this segment of their history

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    ok i'm doing a list of the 20 most important songs in their catalog. not just their singles. but i don't know that this is necessarily "in order" of importance.

1. you can't hurry love - IMO this is the perfect supremes song and it's the epitome of their legacy and of "the motown sound." the verses and their story are perfect. some of the most memorable choruses, the backing vocals play the role of Mama echoing her advice, one of the most compelling leads by diana ever
    2. WDOLG - it started it all
    3. you're nobody till someday - what helped break them into the big time clubs
    4. You Keep me hanging on
    5. reflections
    6. someday we'll be together
    7. stoned love
    8. up the ladder - starting all over again
    9. nathan jones
    10. your heart belongs to me - their first elegant song and their vocals are lovely. all four of them too!
    11/12. time changes things - first production of HDH and i'm giving you your freedom - the first written AND produced with HDH. and they occurred within months of each other so i'm co-listing them
    13. stop in the name of love
    14. love is here
    15. sweet dream machine - the experimentation going on here is amazing
    16. The Blue Room - i couldn't decide what R&H tune to include
    17. i'm gonna make you love me - the first mega duet between two massive groups. so many more would follow but this was the first big one.
    18. time to break down
    19. this is the story
    20. he's my man - i struggled with this one because IMO the song is only so-so. but it hit the top spot on the disco chart and completely reintroduced the group to the gay disco scene. frankly i think LYG is the better song but HMM was the one that started this segment of their history
    Well thought-through list, sup. My short list of the most important singles:
    Where Did Our Love Go - the Big Bang! Like you said, the start of it all.
    Baby Love & Come See About Me - these girls were no one-hit wonders!
    Stop! In the Name of Love - arguably their most iconic hit
    You Can't Hurry Love
    You Keep Me Hanging On
    Reflections
    Love Child
    Someday We'll Be Together - elegant swan song for DRATS and the 60's decade
    Up the Ladder to the Roof - smashing start for the New Supremes
    Stoned Love & Nathan Jones - promise of a new era [alas, not to be :[[]

But I totally hear you about Your Heart Belongs to Me, I'm Giving You Your Freedom, I'm Gonna Make You Love Me [supergroups united!]
    Last edited by lucky2012; 06-08-2024 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Well thought-through list, sup. My short list of the most important singles:
    Where Did Our Love Go - the Big Bang! Like you said, the start of it all.
    Baby Love & Come See About Me - these girls were no one-hit wonders!
    Stop! In the Name of Love - arguably their most iconic hit
    You Can't Hurry Love
    You Keep Me Hanging On
    Reflections
    Love Child
    Someday We'll Be Together - elegant swan song for DRATS and the 60's decade
    Up the Ladder to the Roof - smashing start for the New Supremes
    Stoned Love & Nathan Jones - promise of a new era [alas, not to be :[[]

But I totally hear you about Your Heart Belongs to Me, I'm Giving You Your Freedom, I'm Gonna Make You Love Me [supergroups united!]
    well i was sort of inspired. a day or two after this thread started, Your Heart popped up in the playlist and while by no means my fav Sup song, it really is a lovely performance by all FOUR of them. and SO much more polished that any track prior.

Wouldn't it have been interesting to go back and listen to the rehearsal process for this song? how Smokey was maybe trying different approaches to their vocals?

Interesting insight into the challenges The Supremes were facing at this time with much of the general record buying public. Clearly Motown was taking note when they put together High Inergy!

Thanks for posting this link! Best-of lists tend to be such low-level clickbait these days, but I really enjoyed this one! Another reason why Alexis Petridis is perhaps one of my favourite music writers around. And while he got some details wrong - Susaye, not Scherrie leads High Energy for example, it's the perfect platform to shine a light on the more terminally overlooked parts of their discography.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/451136230859176

From Susaye Greene's facebook page, she was very happy that a song she sang lead on made the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Love View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/reel/451136230859176

From Susaye Greene's facebook page, she was very happy that a song she sang lead on made the list.
    Ha! And the author credited Sherrie Payne for those whistle note vocals

17. High Energy [[1976)
    The Supremesí inability to get a break in the mid-70s feels baffling when you hear how good their music frequently was. Released the same year as their former leaderís Love Hangover, High Energy is similarly sumptuous and slowly unfolding disco: atmospheric, lush with strings and the startling sound of Scherrie Payneís whistle-note vocals.

Ha! And the author credited Sherrie Payne for those whistle note vocals

17. High Energy [[1976)
    The Supremes’ inability to get a break in the mid-70s feels baffling when you hear how good their music frequently was. Released the same year as their former leader’s Love Hangover, High Energy is similarly sumptuous and slowly unfolding disco: atmospheric, lush with strings and the startling sound of Scherrie Payne’s whistle-note vocals.
    Yes, Susaye addressed that and kept it classy as always

https://www.facebook.com/SupremesRef...tion&ref=notif

Susaye Greene's facebook comment regarding some of what was discussed here