[REMOVE ADS]

More Hits Add A Song

For some reason [[consensus seems to be that it was possibly going to be a single) "Ask Any Girl" is repeated on More Hits from WDOLG. Whatever the case, it was a needless inclusion, taking up space that an otherwise unreleased song could have had.

So if you could get in a time machine with the only purpose of choosing a replacement for "Ask" on More Hits, of the possible songs the group had cut up to that point, what are you replacing it with?

Originally "[[You're Gone But) Always In My Heart" was slated for this album, but Motown swapped it out for "Ask Any Girl" instead. A wise decision. Starting off with a dirge-like "Always In My Heart" totally didn't fit the upbeat HDH sound of the album. It would have been a poor choice to start off side one.

If a song had to be swapped, it should have been another upbeat HDH track to keep it all consistent. The only ones that jump out are "Send Me No Flowers" or "Too Hurt To Cry, Too Much In Love To Say Goodbye." "It's All For Your Fault" is a possibility but "Mother Dear" was a reworking of that song so putting them both on the same album wouldn't have made much sense. "Surfer Boy" is another potential track.

A non-HDH track - "Ooowee Baby."

Always In My Heart should never have been released in ANY format. it should never have been recorded even. lol

it's mind boggling that it ended up on the flip side of CSAM. Remove This Doubt, Penny Pincher, Send Me No Flowers, Love Is In Our Hearts - all could have been fine replacements to Always.

Love is in our hearts is probably the most "More Hits" in sound. it would have been seamless on the album.

Remove This Doubt is probably the strongest of the songs. it would have added some nice variety and drama to the album. but it would have necessitated a re-ordering of the tracks. Remove would not have been a good album opener.

Frankly none of these alt songs are strong enough to be the opener. You need to hit it off with something strong. Nothing But Heartaches would have been perfect as the first track on side 1

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Always In My Heart should never have been released in ANY format. it should never have been recorded even. lol

it's mind boggling that it ended up on the flip side of CSAM. Remove This Doubt, Penny Pincher, Send Me No Flowers, Love Is In Our Hearts - all could have been fine replacements to Always.

Love is in our hearts is probably the most "More Hits" in sound. it would have been seamless on the album.

Remove This Doubt is probably the strongest of the songs. it would have added some nice variety and drama to the album. but it would have necessitated a re-ordering of the tracks. Remove would not have been a good album opener.

Frankly none of these alt songs are strong enough to be the opener. You need to hit it off with something strong. Nothing But Heartaches would have been perfect as the first track on side 1
    "Love Is Our Hearts" didn't have vocals added until 1966 so it wouldn't have been ready for More Hits.

I did forget one track that would have worked on More Hits. The first version of "Love Is Like A Heat Wave." It did need another vocal take from Diana to make it stronger, but it could have worked.

Maybe NBH could open the album, leave the rest of Side One as is, but end with RTD. It could have been a dramatic close to the first side.

Did it have to be an HDH track? Because I think Oowee Baby would have been the perfect opener for the album.

I think It's All Your Fault is a very strong contender too even though it's basically the same song as Mother Dear. I do like the former better as I always thought the lyrics to the latter were pretty corny. Mother Dear? Lol
    Last edited by floyjoy678; 06-05-2024 at 10:30 AM.

How about something "fun" like one of the German version songs. Weren't they recorded around this time?

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Maybe NBH could open the album, leave the rest of Side One as is, but end with RTD. It could have been a dramatic close to the first side.
    i agree - and sort of bookended by I'm In Love Again which was a dramatic closing on side 2

On my personal mix of "More Hits," I have "Too Hurt To Cry, Too Much In Love To Say Goodbye" as the opening track.

My pick would be "Beach Ball" [with "Nothing But Heartaches" as the opening track to More Hits By The Supremes​].

I think that lp is damned near perfect as it is. But if AAG had been deleted, I'd have gone with Surfer Boy. I would have put it on Side B and maybe switched Whisper to Side A immediately before Back In my Arms.

I will say that the second release of Ask Any Girl must have made an impact because shortly after the issuance of More Hits, Len Barry released 1-2-3 and was sued for infringement because of the similarities in the song. Strange thing, is that I don't hear the similarity at all

I like Surfer Boy too. It would have done well as a track on here especially since the album was released during the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Originally "[[You're Gone But) Always In My Heart" was slated for this album, but Motown swapped it out for "Ask Any Girl" instead. A wise decision. Starting off with a dirge-like "Always In My Heart" totally didn't fit the upbeat HDH sound of the album. It would have been a poor choice to start off side one.
    Absolutely. I love "Always In My Heart", but that is not the song to open this kind of album. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Did it have to be an HDH track? Because I think Oowee Baby would have been the perfect opener for the album.

I think It's All Your Fault is a very strong contender too even though it's basically the same song as Mother Dear. I do like the former better as I always thought the lyrics to the latter were pretty corny. Mother Dear? Lol
    No, it doesn't have to be HDH. In fact, one of my contenders would be "Take Me Where You Go", although I would shuffle the tracks around, as that wouldn't be the best opener, IMO.

I prefer "Fault" to the More Hits "Mother Dear" also. The second version of "Mother Dear" I also like better than the MH version, but I still prefer "Fault" to it. "Mother Dear 66" is one of the best cuts the group ever cut, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    How about something "fun" like one of the German version songs. Weren't they recorded around this time?
    An English version of "Thank You Darling" [[which I'm always hoping will surface) would have been a great addition to the album.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
    On my personal mix of "More Hits," I have "Too Hurt To Cry, Too Much In Love To Say Goodbye" as the opening track.
    Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    My pick would be "Beach Ball" [with "Nothing But Heartaches" as the opening track to More Hits By The Supremes​].
    I'm not crazy about "Beach Ball", but it certainly would have worked for the album.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I think that lp is damned near perfect as it is. But if AAG had been deleted, I'd have gone with Surfer Boy. I would have put it on Side B and maybe switched Whisper to Side A immediately before Back In my Arms.
    I do really like "Surfer Boy". How well would it have done as a single?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Absolutely. I love "Always In My Heart", but that is not the song to open this kind of album. Lol
    oh you have GOT to be kidding me!!!! lol this song is atrocious. i love the description on the DR Project from the Sing HDH album.

2. You’re Gone [[But Always In My Heart): This is the Motown version of a funeral dirge, a slow and depressing song that nearly manages to suck away all of the life and energy provided by the previous track. This song first surfaced as the b-side to “Come See About Me” back in October of 1964, when it was simply titled “Always In My Heart.” The tune was left off of Where Did Our Love Go and More Hits By The Supremes [[thank goodness, as the latter was way too good for this song), but for whatever reason resurrected for inclusion here. Set to a plodding [[almost non-existent) beat and opening with ominous drums that sound appropriate for a march to the guillotine, the instrumental track here is spare but still quite heavy; the playing is accomplished, but not particularly enjoyable.

the review continues but i just love the guillotine line lol

See i find both of the beach tunes just far too novelty. the songs HDH crafted for More Hits are just lightyears better in quality than Beach or Surf.

as for other producers, yes i think it's fun to play with playlists and all and swap different tunes in. but after the MASSIVE success HDH had with the 3 #1 tunes on the WDOLG album, they were fully in control here and could have easily pulled strings to make sure they were the only producers here. everyone knew that the follow up album would be a massive success and so everyone would have been super eager to get even an album track included. HDH were too savvy and wouldn't have wanted to share royalties.

oh you have GOT to be kidding me!!!! lol this song is atrocious. i love the description on the DR Project from the Sing HDH album.

2. You’re Gone [[But Always In My Heart): This is the Motown version of a funeral dirge, a slow and depressing song that nearly manages to suck away all of the life and energy provided by the previous track. This song first surfaced as the b-side to “Come See About Me” back in October of 1964, when it was simply titled “Always In My Heart.” The tune was left off of Where Did Our Love Go and More Hits By The Supremes [[thank goodness, as the latter was way too good for this song), but for whatever reason resurrected for inclusion here. Set to a plodding [[almost non-existent) beat and opening with ominous drums that sound appropriate for a march to the guillotine, the instrumental track here is spare but still quite heavy; the playing is accomplished, but not particularly enjoyable.

the review continues but i just love the guillotine line lol
    Diana turns in a beautiful performance. And I think the haunting lyrics- I've always supposed that her lover has died- are complimented perfectly by the sadness of the track and Flo, Mary and Lamont's simple backing. It's a sad song, depressing even. But I like songs that can also do more than hype me up. Lol

See i find both of the beach tunes just far too novelty. the songs HDH crafted for More Hits are just lightyears better in quality than Beach or Surf.

as for other producers, yes i think it's fun to play with playlists and all and swap different tunes in. but after the MASSIVE success HDH had with the 3 #1 tunes on the WDOLG album, they were fully in control here and could have easily pulled strings to make sure they were the only producers here. everyone knew that the follow up album would be a massive success and so everyone would have been super eager to get even an album track included. HDH were too savvy and wouldn't have wanted to share royalties.
    But would HDH have had that control? Me thinks if Smokey really wanted a tune on the album, and Gordy wanted Smokey's tune on the album, HDH would have been SOL. Lol

I think my pick for More Hits would have been "He's All I Got". I think it makes a great opening too.

Diana turns in a beautiful performance. And I think the haunting lyrics- I've always supposed that her lover has died- are complimented perfectly by the sadness of the track and Flo, Mary and Lamont's simple backing. It's a sad song, depressing even. But I like songs that can also do more than hype me up. Lol
    i will acknowledge that diana sounds good and the DR Project review even goes on to point this out. but that's not a surprise - of course Diana sounds good. she sounded good on some of the silly tunes from their early years too like He's Seventeen. but that doesn't make for a good song

Was He's All I Got completed in time? If so, then that definitely gets my vote as the opener. Ran I also love the '66 version of Mother Dear too, much more than the More Hits version. I love the piano break in the '66 version.

But then what would have gone in He's All I Got's place on the Symphony album? Besides that track and Any Girl In Love, it's already a sleeper of an album. Something I'd play at bedtime to help me fall asleep.

But would HDH have had that control? Me thinks if Smokey really wanted a tune on the album, and Gordy wanted Smokey's tune on the album, HDH would have been SOL. Lol
    if Gordy had REALLY wanted a smokey song on the lp, sure. it would have been done. but HDH had done the near impossible - to tap into a "sound" for the supremes. They not only delivered a #1 with Where but they and the Sups were the first act to have a second #1. and it was the follow up single. AND they then had one of the biggest selling lps of 1964.

there was the unspoken rule that if you had a hit with a group, you got the follow up. i don't know if that was absolutely unbreakable - if another producer had just an amazing song on that same group, would QC vote them for the release? I would guess it was possible but not likely.

i would guess the same for the lp. motown albums had not been big sellers in the past. Looks like the live Stevie album from 63 with Fingertips on it went to #1 [[surprisingly) but other than that, I don't think anyone had lps that charted at anything significant. So HDH had produced the big hits of WDOLG album and so i could see them being given full reigns on the follow up

Was He's All I Got completed in time? If so, then that definitely gets my vote as the opener. Ran I also love the '66 version of Mother Dear too, much more than the More Hits version. I love the piano break in the '66 version.

But then what would have gone in He's All I Got's place on the Symphony album? Besides that track and Any Girl In Love, it's already a sleeper of an album. Something I'd play at bedtime to help me fall asleep.
    yes He's All I Got was completed in time for the More Hits album. Mother You Smother You just missed the Symphony project. the lp was released in late Feb 66 and that track was finished up in later March. that would have fit perfectly on the Symphony album. Of course there were more MOR standards considered for the Symphony album - all of a sudden was finished but not used. I think More and Somewhere and Michelle were considered but not recorded/completed.

HDH did the track for Heaven Must Have Sent You in late Oct 65 but then it ended up going to the Elgins. another perfect fit for the Symphony project.

some of the unreleased tracks from around this time were Slow Down [[Clarence Paul), Too much a little too soon [[Smokey), Don't let true love die [[HDH). Again, given HDH were doing the lp, i would guess they'd pick Don't Let True Love over the other producers. Remove This Doubt might have worked on the Symphony set or It's All Your Fault.

i will acknowledge that diana sounds good and the DR Project review even goes on to point this out. but that's not a surprise - of course Diana sounds good. she sounded good on some of the silly tunes from their early years too like He's Seventeen. but that doesn't make for a good song
    But "good" is in the ear of the beholder. To my ears there isn't anything bad about "Always In My Heart". The singers all sing in tune. The musicians are playing in tune. The lyrics rhyme and make sense. I can certainly understand if the song isn't someone's cup of tea, but bad? I just don't hear it.

Yeah, "He's All I Got" was completed by the time the album was released. I really don't know why it was passed over because to me it's better than at least two songs that made the album, and certainly makes more sense than repeating "Ask Any Girl".

As far as Symphony goes, I've often played around with alternate tracklists for that album because I really wish the album hadn't been weighed down with the MOR tunes. To answer your specific question regarding "He's All I Got", I would replace it with "Too Much A Little Too Soon", which is another cut that should never have been forced to collect dust in the vault.

I would keep "I Hear A Symphony", "My World", "Any Girl In Love", "A Lover's Concerto" and "Everything Is Good About You". And if "He's All I Got" is still available, I would keep that. I would also keep "Unchained Melody", although I would "Motown" the track a bit. It was a recent big hit record for the Righteous Brothers, so it makes sense the Supremes covering it. I would also keep "Yesterday", but I would have given that lead to Mary, who I think would have done a better job than Diana on it.

So that leaves four open spots: "Too Much A Little Too Soon", "Love Is Like An Itchin", the first version of "It's the Same Old Song", and "Remove This Doubt".

Now that I think about it, Take Me Where You Go would have fit well on the Symphony album.

I LOVE "ALWAYS IN MY HEART"! I think its one of DR's best RnB vocals...Ever hear IN MY ROOM from Nancy Sinatra's BOOTS LP? equally dismal and heavy...and I love that one too [[and no I don't like everything dismal...I hated DR's Sleepin')

I like Ask Any Girl...this More Hits mix is better...how would they expect this to sell a lot? all folks had to do was flip the Baby Love single over....which I am sure most people did back then anyway...I did...with Supremes singles anyway...I loved ALL I KNOW ABOUT YOU [[The Happening was the first group single I ever got...in a pile of used jukebox records)

the LP follows a unusual format...perhaps because they thought about AAG for a single. With the singles in 2,4,6th position instead of having one be first...after Meet...Supremes LPS tended to often have all the A side singles on one side...exception being IHAS...My World would not have gone well with the songs on the A side....other than Meet, Webb and R&H, IHAS is my least played of the remainder...I like it OK, its just not a favorite...
    Last edited by gman; 06-05-2024 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I LOVE "ALWAYS IN MY HEART"! I think its one of DR's best RnB vocals...Ever hear IN MY ROOM from Nancy Sinatra's BOOTS LP? equally dismal and heavy...and I love that one too [[and no I don't like everything dismal...I hated DR's Sleepin')
    I don't like everything dismal either. Lol I just like good music. Happy songs, sad songs, it all works for me. "Always In My Heart" always reminded me of something that might have come out of New Orleans. It is a very heavy song and I imagine it had some support because it ended up a B side on a hit single and then was revived a couple years later for an album.

Have you heard Gladys and the Pips' version? It's cool, but I think Gladys makes the song a bit more lively [[for lack of a better word) and for me it looses some of it's punch. There was supposed to be a mashup of the Supremes version and the Gladys and Pips version for the HDH EE but for some reason it was cancelled. I was looking forward to hearing how Diana and Gladys might have sounded together.

Now that I think about it, Take Me Where You Go would have fit well on the Symphony album.
    I think it would have worked also. I believe I had it on one of my mock alternate tracklists for the Symphony album.

RanRan79....I just learned something...TY...I never knew GK recorded the song too...Gladys is one of my favs too and I am gonna have to listen to that...later Gladys non big hits Between her Goodbye and All I Need is Time are 2 of my fav Motown ballards...
    Millie Jackson [[when she behaves herself... and sings) often has a style very similar to Gladys...Millie's Live LP versions of STILL and SWEET MUSIC MAN blow the originals out of the water...Millie handles C&W covers and oriented material very well...

I think it would have worked also. I believe I had it on one of my mock alternate tracklists for the Symphony album.
    i could most certainly be biased since i'm not a huge fan of Smokey's work with the girls and Take Me is definitely not a fav of mine. but i can see how some might think it could have worked on Symphony

here's why I'll tell you why i think it wouldn't

i agree that the Symphony album isn't perfect. this was really the first attempts by HDH to do big MOR, symphonic songs. And they do a nice job. but not a perfect job. listen to their tracks for the cancelled Broadway to Hollywood album and you'll hear how much they'd grown! tracks for Stranger in Paradise, All of a Sudden My Heart Sings are a bit too high on the treble. and the timpani on All of sudden is a bit awkward.

but the goal of the album was sophistication. of the 12 songs, roughly half are pop and half are MOR. It blurs a bit with Lover Concerto and yesterday. But of the pop hits, you have an elegance with Symphony, My World, Everything, Any girl. the use of strings and all really brings these classic motown tunes to a level above other classics like BIMAA or I Can't Help Myself or Can I Get A Witness.

Take Me Where You Go is a bit too teenage girl and not the sophisticated women the group and motown were trying to present with the Symphony package. TMWYG would have fit beautifully on More Hits because that really exemplified this girl group sound.

as much as we slight motown for not really focusing on albums being much more than filler, I think they did take care with these earlier albums to have some degree of cohesion.

WDOLG is certainly a bit more eclectic but i think the made the perfect selection in songs. it's a varied package but still cohesive. Sure i think you could have almost done a complete HDH album and included Remove this doubt, penny pincher, send me no flowers and it's all your fault. but the released set does work well

More Hits - this is the Sups classic "girl group" album. there's variety but also a clear cohesion with everything being HDH.

Symphony - a mashup of pop meets establishment. and the pop isn't just your typical run of the mill tunes. these are sophisticated and polished more so than the earlier material with the group

A Go Go - a pure dance album. You could play this at a 60's party from beginning to end and the crowd would never pause dancing.

Sing HDH is IMO where things start to slide. the newer HDH material like Love Is Here and YKMHO and Going Down are just so different from the early tracks that were dug out for this. it comes across a bit too random. and the covers tunes are rather weak IMO

Yeah, "He's All I Got" was completed by the time the album was released. I really don't know why it was passed over because to me it's better than at least two songs that made the album, and certainly makes more sense than repeating "Ask Any Girl".

As far as Symphony goes, I've often played around with alternate tracklists for that album because I really wish the album hadn't been weighed down with the MOR tunes. To answer your specific question regarding "He's All I Got", I would replace it with "Too Much A Little Too Soon", which is another cut that should never have been forced to collect dust in the vault.

I would keep "I Hear A Symphony", "My World", "Any Girl In Love", "A Lover's Concerto" and "Everything Is Good About You". And if "He's All I Got" is still available, I would keep that. I would also keep "Unchained Melody", although I would "Motown" the track a bit. It was a recent big hit record for the Righteous Brothers, so it makes sense the Supremes covering it. I would also keep "Yesterday", but I would have given that lead to Mary, who I think would have done a better job than Diana on it.

So that leaves four open spots: "Too Much A Little Too Soon", "Love Is Like An Itchin", the first version of "It's the Same Old Song", and "Remove This Doubt".
    I definitely would have preferred almost any song over "Ask Any Girl" for the More Hits album. AAG is the one song on the WDOLG album that I hated for many, many years. I appreciate it now, somewhat, sort of! Of the songs suggested I would pick "Too Hurt To Cry..." as it seems to fit the girl group feel of the MH album and mid-1965 the best. "He's All I Got" is a gem and would have fit More Hits, A' Go-Go or Sing HDH, as well as it fit Symphony.

The Symphony album, although enjoyable when it was released, is an album I rarely played. Through the years I would put the Motown original songs from Side 2 on mix tapes and other personal compilations. I sometimes missed hearing the Pop covers so I did a rework of the Symphony album for my Playlist. I try to keep as many songs from the original album as possible when I rework an album so I can get the same feel as when the album was released. Of course I do take some liberties.

Side 1
    Sound Of Music
    I Hear A Symphony
    Lovers Concerto
    Unchained Melody
    With A Song In My Heart
    Let The Music Play

Side 2
    Yesterday
    My World Is Empty Without You
    Any Girl In Love
    He's All I Got
    Everything Is Good About You
    Wonderful, Wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    RanRan79....I just learned something...TY...I never knew GK recorded the song too...Gladys is one of my favs too and I am gonna have to listen to that...later Gladys non big hits Between her Goodbye and All I Need is Time are 2 of my fav Motown ballards...
    Millie Jackson [[when she behaves herself... and sings) often has a style very similar to Gladys...Millie's Live LP versions of STILL and SWEET MUSIC MAN blow the originals out of the water...Millie handles C&W covers and oriented material very well...
    Gladys and the Pips version stayed in the vault until the release of Motown Unreleased 1966 a few years ago. It's the same track as the Supremes, with the strings, as on the HDH EE.

Yes, Millie has said that Gladys was one of her inspirations. She really is an underrated vocalist, which unfortunately is overshadowed by the raunchy element of her act. She killed "Sweet Music Man".

i could most certainly be biased since i'm not a huge fan of Smokey's work with the girls and Take Me is definitely not a fav of mine. but i can see how some might think it could have worked on Symphony

here's why I'll tell you why i think it wouldn't

i agree that the Symphony album isn't perfect. this was really the first attempts by HDH to do big MOR, symphonic songs. And they do a nice job. but not a perfect job. listen to their tracks for the cancelled Broadway to Hollywood album and you'll hear how much they'd grown! tracks for Stranger in Paradise, All of a Sudden My Heart Sings are a bit too high on the treble. and the timpani on All of sudden is a bit awkward.

but the goal of the album was sophistication. of the 12 songs, roughly half are pop and half are MOR. It blurs a bit with Lover Concerto and yesterday. But of the pop hits, you have an elegance with Symphony, My World, Everything, Any girl. the use of strings and all really brings these classic motown tunes to a level above other classics like BIMAA or I Can't Help Myself or Can I Get A Witness.

Take Me Where You Go is a bit too teenage girl and not the sophisticated women the group and motown were trying to present with the Symphony package. TMWYG would have fit beautifully on More Hits because that really exemplified this girl group sound.
    I think "Take Me Where You Go" is more sophisticated than "He's All I Got", the latter of which sounds more like the so called Girl Group era than "Take Me".

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post

Side 1
    Sound Of Music
    I Hear A Symphony
    Lovers Concerto
    Unchained Melody
    With A Song In My Heart
    Let The Music Play

Side 2
    Yesterday
    My World Is Empty Without You
    Any Girl In Love
    He's All I Got
    Everything Is Good About You
    Wonderful, Wonderful
    Johnjeb, that's not a bad lineup at all. Yes, had "Let the Music Play" gotten vocals in time, it definitely would have been a great addition, as I love it.

I left "Wonderful, Wonderful" off my album because I wanted more Motowny tunes, but for the record I love that song. They sing it so beautifully.

as much as we slight motown for not really focusing on albums being much more than filler, I think they did take care with these earlier albums to have some degree of cohesion.

WDOLG is certainly a bit more eclectic but i think the made the perfect selection in songs. it's a varied package but still cohesive. Sure i think you could have almost done a complete HDH album and included Remove this doubt, penny pincher, send me no flowers and it's all your fault. but the released set does work well

More Hits - this is the Sups classic "girl group" album. there's variety but also a clear cohesion with everything being HDH.

Symphony - a mashup of pop meets establishment. and the pop isn't just your typical run of the mill tunes. these are sophisticated and polished more so than the earlier material with the group

A Go Go - a pure dance album. You could play this at a 60's party from beginning to end and the crowd would never pause dancing.

Sing HDH is IMO where things start to slide. the newer HDH material like Love Is Here and YKMHO and Going Down are just so different from the early tracks that were dug out for this. it comes across a bit too random. and the covers tunes are rather weak IMO
    I agree with you about Sing HDH. When released I only appreciated 6 of the songs, the two singles and their flips and "Going Down..." and "Mother You...". I was annoyed that there were four other Motown covers rather than original songs. This seemed like A' Go-Go volume 2. "Turn To Stone" and "I Guess..." were pitched a bit too high to be enjoyable, while "Heatwave" and "Same Old Song" just too fast. Add to that "Always..." which was the flip of a single from two years prior. And the lame "Love Is In Our Hearts". A nice vocal but totally wrong for this album. A nice song for an album of songs to sing along to while skipping through a meadow!

To make matters worse these songs were ordered poorly. We've all agreed having "Always In My Heart" follow "Hanging On" didn't help the flow.

I feel this album was just thrown together to satisfy the songwriters' egos. You would think that if they wanted their name as part of the album title that they would have made more of an effort to come up with a better song selection and top-notch productions. It seems their dissatisfaction with Motown overrode their desire to be more creative. They took the easy way out.

I hated the cover too, although I like it now. When I first saw this album I thought it was a budget K-Tel release. It seemed bargain basement. The UK cover is perfect.

My Sing HDH Playlist:

Side1
    You Keep Me Hanging On
    Going Down For The Third Time
    I'll Turn To Stone
    I Guess I'll Always Love You
    Love Is Here And Now You're Gone
    Remove This Doubt

Side 2
    Mother You, Smother You
    There's No Stopping Us Now
    The Happening
    All I Know About You [[Extended Version)
    Love Is In Our Hearts
    Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things)

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    I agree with you about Sing HDH. When released I only appreciated 6 of the songs, the two singles and their flips and "Going Down..." and "Mother You...". I was annoyed that there were four other Motown covers rather than original songs. This seemed like A' Go-Go volume 2. "Turn To Stone" and "I Guess..." were pitched a bit too high to be enjoyable, while "Heatwave" and "Same Old Song" just too fast. Add to that "Always..." which was the flip of a single from two years prior. And the lame "Love Is In Our Hearts". A nice vocal but totally wrong for this album. A nice song for an album of songs to sing along to while skipping through a meadow!

To make matters worse these songs were ordered poorly. We've all agreed having "Always In My Heart" follow "Hanging On" didn't help the flow.

I feel this album was just thrown together to satisfy the songwriters' egos. You would think that if they wanted their name as part of the album title that they would have made more of an effort to come up with a better song selection and top-notch productions. It seems their dissatisfaction with Motown overrode their desire to be more creative. They took the easy way out.

I hated the cover too, although I like it now. When I first saw this album I thought it was a budget K-Tel release. It seemed bargain basement. The UK cover is perfect.

My Sing HDH Playlist:

Side1
    You Keep Me Hanging On
    Going Down For The Third Time
    I'll Turn To Stone
    I Guess I'll Always Love You
    Love Is Here And Now You're Gone
    Remove This Doubt

Side 2
    Mother You, Smother You
    There's No Stopping Us Now
    The Happening
    All I Know About You [[Extended Version)
    Love Is In Our Hearts
    Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things)
    haha i love the meadow line!! totally agree

I think Love Is In Our Hearts would have been a good fit on More Hits. but by 67 it was too outdated

Not that i want to add more covers but i think Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things is much stronger than Same Old Song or Heatwave.

I redid A Go Go to really focus on strong dance tunes.

itching
    this old heart
    you can't hurry love
    mother dear Version 3
    in my lonely room
    just a little misunderstanding

going down 3rd time
    shake me wake me
    get ready
    don't let true love diea
    money
    there's no stopping

and then I had to redo Sing HDH

You keep me hanging on
    mikey's monkey
    love it here
    mother you
    i can't help myself
    i'll turn to stone

love makes me do
    it's hte same old song
    can i get a witness
    remove this doubt
    come and get these memories
    i guess i'll always love you

More Hits , my vote would be He's All I Got , or Owwee Baby. i like both songs.
    i also like Too Hurt To Cry. another gem.

i still can get into A Go Go
    i have tried. i like the 2 singles, 2 of my favorites but
    some of the songs fall flat to me. no Funk Brothers. Diana's vocal seem fine but the production is off. maybe a rush job.
    in my playlist i combined Go Go /sing HDH, dropped the covers mostly