[REMOVE ADS]

Stop In the Name of Love Questions

Question 1: I know there's an acapella track with the "oohs" during the verses, but is there a released mix of the full song with the "oohs" still intact?

Question 2: On the released version, Diana sings "before you run to her, leaving me alone and hurt", but on the unreleased 1st version she sings "leaving me alone to cry". On the Good Times episode when they perform "Stop" at the rent party, Willona sings "leaving me alone to cry". Am I missing something? Was the "leaving me alone to cry" line in some released versions at the time? Did Good Times have to send off for an official lyric sheet, and the lyric sheet contains the original lyrics rather than the re-write?

#2 is such an oddity. HDH were simply too good of lyricists to come up with such a sloppy phrase that totally overlooks the rhyming pattern. I wonder if it was simply an error on Diana's part. even though the mistake didn't cause her to pause and stumble like on the alt version of YCHL

It being Diana's mistake wouldn't account for Willona singing "cry" if that version didn't see the light of day until 2000. It must have been on the lyric sheet and never corrected.

I'm pretty sure all the versions have the "Oooh"s muted unless they're really buried in the mixes.

I remember when I first heard the vocals only version, I was not expecting to hear them. I thought it was just something Mary and Flo added to the live performances of the song.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I'm pretty sure all the versions have the "Oooh"s muted unless they're really buried in the mixes.

I remember when I first heard the vocals only version, I was not expecting to hear them. I thought it was just something Mary and Flo added to the live performances of the song.
    Growing up, I always thought I could hear "oohs" during the verses, which of course made no sense. [[There are other songs that I think I hear things that don't appear to be there.) So imagine my surprise when I got the Copa album and heard Flo and Mary doing "oohs" during the verses. It wasn't until the Reflections dvd with the acapella tracks that I learned the "oohs" were also done in studio. Seems odd that there isn't a released mix with the "oohs" included.