[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Relax guys, there is soon to be an announcement from the FLOs management.

All is good.

When I posted this, it was to just see if anything was happening with the FLOS due to the substitution or not.
    Some of the posts, though. Come on.
    Of course, the original trio is the group that originated the group together so there was a loyalty and a reason why both Diana and Mary look at the group as that original trio but it was not to diminish the replacement members.
    Cindy was in DRATS and did an amazing job to keep the group going after an original left. Ross still has made positive statements about Cindy. Wilson said that Cindy became a good buddy and someone she could always rely on.
    Jean did a great job replacing Diana, she had a great voice. I don't think touring and group dynamics were Jean's strong suit.
    Lynda was a good replacement, she seemed to offer a youthful vibe. Mary managed to blend their voices in the background. Yes, I agree she is loud. She is talented. A non-Supremes fan watched a You Tube of JML and said to me-they just don't have it. They felt Jean was too nasal with no charisma. They felt Mary was trying too hard to make up for the lack of chemistry in this grouping [[BTW they loved other videos that had Flo, Cindy and Scherrie in the group). They had an opinion on Lynda, that she didn't look to fit in.
    Mary always said that of all the members of the Supremes, in terms of talent and personality that Scherrie would have been the one to carry on with. They maintained a friendship. Even after RTL, Mary said she understood that it wasn't personal - that it was business and that they all have bills to pay.
    True, without Mary deciding to carry on the group we wouldn't know these singers like we do. Mary deserves all of the credit given to her for keeping the legacy alive.
    I didn't follow the group until 1970, so those members were the Supremes to me. I think they have the right to tour as former Supremes. Both Lynda and Susaye were members for only 18 months each but continued to tour as former Supremes for much longer, so I get why some are not too keen about that. Still, I am a fan of all former Supremes.
    I guess we will be getting an announcement soon. Only natural to wonder if anything is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Relax guys, there is soon to be an announcement from the FLOs management.

All is good.
    Are they sending it by smoke signal?

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    When I posted this, it was to just see if anything was happening with the FLOS due to the substitution or not.
    Some of the posts, though. Come on.
    Of course, the original trio is the group that originated the group together so there was a loyalty and a reason why both Diana and Mary look at the group as that original trio but it was not to diminish the replacement members.
    Cindy was in DRATS and did an amazing job to keep the group going after an original left. Ross still has made positive statements about Cindy. Wilson said that Cindy became a good buddy and someone she could always rely on.
    Jean did a great job replacing Diana, she had a great voice. I don't think touring and group dynamics were Jean's strong suit.
    Lynda was a good replacement, she seemed to offer a youthful vibe. Mary managed to blend their voices in the background. Yes, I agree she is loud. She is talented. A non-Supremes fan watched a You Tube of JML and said to me-they just don't have it. They felt Jean was too nasal with no charisma. They felt Mary was trying too hard to make up for the lack of chemistry in this grouping [[BTW they loved other videos that had Flo, Cindy and Scherrie in the group). They had an opinion on Lynda, that she didn't look to fit in.
    Mary always said that of all the members of the Supremes, in terms of talent and personality that Scherrie would have been the one to carry on with. They maintained a friendship. Even after RTL, Mary said she understood that it wasn't personal - that it was business and that they all have bills to pay.
    True, without Mary deciding to carry on the group we wouldn't know these singers like we do. Mary deserves all of the credit given to her for keeping the legacy alive.
    I didn't follow the group until 1970, so those members were the Supremes to me. I think they have the right to tour as former Supremes. Both Lynda and Susaye were members for only 18 months each but continued to tour as former Supremes for much longer, so I get why some are not too keen about that. Still, I am a fan of all former Supremes.
    I guess we will be getting an announcement soon. Only natural to wonder if anything is going on.
    And all of about 53 people are following the gradual disappearance - it isnít like January 1970 nor even 1977 which barely created a ripple

But they did an admirable job of keeping the music alive

And they are all that is left besides Diana and some tribute acts

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    And all of about 53 people are following the gradual disappearance - it isn’t like January 1970 nor even 1977 which barely created a ripple

But they did an admirable job of keeping the music alive

And they are all that is left besides Diana and some tribute acts
    Yes, the fan base has shrunk considerably for anything related to the Supremes. That is true for even Diana Ross-she doesn't have the fan base of a Cher or Barbra Streisand that is newsworthy.
    Yes, the general public is aware of Diana Ross. Some were aware of the late Mary Wilson. Much less were aware of Scherrie, Lynda and Susaye. Still, they were touring somewhat even in a diminished capacity for audiences of 53 people.
    Just trying to say, the few of us that are still fans are interested in the FLOS and Ross. That number has diminished for all of them, including Ross. I don't think we should be dismissive of any of them just because we are dwindling significantly in numbers.

I will try and not dismiss - it’s just somewhat sad.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I love all Supremes, even Lynda to an extent. In terms of how I view this situation, I lean more towards agreeing with your position, mrmw. I've particularly struggled with my opinion on Lynda. I think she is very Supreme-like with how she performs and looks. I like her voice. However, I have never cared for her overtly negative stance towards Mary, which only seemed to diffuse after Mary passed away. It was then that she finally took the opportunity to publicly thank Mary. Before this, there have been multiple public jabs, the biggest one being where she was quoted as saying that Mary as a solo performer "didn't have what it takes" to back up The Supremes name. Ouch. She did visit Mary after one of her Vegas shows, a couple years before she passed. However, it was done under the guise of proposing that Mary initiate a reconciliation between herself and Diana, and the implied business/financial benefit it would have for all Supremes members. To me, Lynda was overstepping. Lynda also had an awkward moment during the FLOS' 20th anniversary show in 2006, with regards to Mary.

If anything, I think Lynda is a smart business woman [she's made bank for 40 years on a legacy that was an 18 month stint for her], but not as appreciative as her friend Scherrie. Scherrie has always made it clear that she counted Mary as a friend and that she was thankful to Mary for bringing her into The Supremes. She never forgot her beginnings. Considering that Lynda was in the group for such a short time, I think she should have taken after Scherrie, in terms of her public view on Mary.
    Carlo, I'm more or less in the same ballpark as you and mrmw with regards to my ambivalence around Lynda. Again, I appreciate her talent and her contribution to the group. JML made a beautiful trio. However, you combine the fact that she's made bank for many years off an 18 month stint with The Supremes, and her disrespectful comments towards Mary - I mean, she has every right to use her tenure to her advantage, but those two things put together rub me the wrong way. Yes, once a Supreme always a Supreme, but that doesn't mean they all have an equal claim to the legacy. And so while it was nice of the FLOS to do a posthumous tribute to Mary; after Lynda's public comments in the past, not to mention other members of the FLOS camp [[not Scherrie, btw), without an equally public apology or acknowledgement of that, there's something that feels phony and opportunistic about her part in that.
    Last edited by telekin; 06-16-2024 at 08:50 PM.