[REMOVE ADS]

Everyday is a new day

Does anyone know if there were any outtakes from Everyday Is A New Day ? I am back to playing this CD [[and I really think this is one of Diana's best CD's) and there just had to be other songs that were not including on here.

Other than “Drop The Mask” and “Free [[I’m Gone) i’ve never heard of any.
    The album is a classy affair, but it starts getting a little soggy owing to the similarity of so many sad songs all together.
    By contrast, “Carry On” is a little overly frantic, being at odds with the style and vibe of the other songs. I much prefer the version Diana performs in the film with her voice not so buried in the mix.
    Other than the dull “Love Is An Open Window”, the album remains fairly solid and one that held real potential. “Not Over You Yet” being a UK top ten hit was an indication of what might have been.
    I was stunned when Diana abandoned the album, but as we all know it’s wasn’t the greatest time in her life.
    It’s a huge shame she didn’t concentrate all her efforts into promoting this album as opposed to the huge cash cow that might have been RTL.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 06-02-2024 at 06:17 AM.

i have only seen remixs of various tracks and the two mentioned above.
    the remix of Not Over You Yet is awsome....loved it and the video.
    i also liked Sugarfree and the title cut.
    imo. a few tracks needed remixs as NOYY.

So true .... CARRY ON to me was the I am moving out of this being down and "Going To Wash You Out of My Life". I was always hoping there was more recorded beside the other two songs. Its sad but its real and I felt it because she put her foot in those songs and you can hear it. She probably dropped it because she said Im moving on. Interesting the one song that I didn't like was EDIAND and now it is played in my car everyday.
    Thank you both for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    So true .... CARRY ON to me was the I am moving out of this being down and "Going To Wash You Out of My Life". I was always hoping there was more recorded beside the other two songs. Its sad but its real and I felt it because she put her foot in those songs and you can hear it. She probably dropped it because she said Im moving on. Interesting the one song that I didn't like was EDIAND and now it is played in my car everyday.
    Thank you both for your input.
    I would say it was more heart than foot lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I would say it was more heart than foot lol.
    Ha! That’s an old African-American turn of phrase. If the cook has “put their foot” in the mac & cheese, it’s a very good thing.😃

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Ha! That’s an old African-American turn of phrase. If the cook has “put their foot” in the mac & cheese, it’s a very good thing.
    I’ve never heard that expression before sans. Ta for the info.

Other than “Drop The Mask” and “Free [[I’m Gone) i’ve never heard of any.
    The album is a classy affair, but it starts getting a little soggy owing to the similarity of so many sad songs all together.
    By contrast, “Carry On” is a little overly frantic, being at odds with the style and vibe of the other songs. I much prefer the version Diana performs in the film with her voice not so buried in the mix.
    Other than the dull “Love Is An Open Window”, the album remains fairly solid and one that held real potential. “Not Over You Yet” being a UK top ten hit was an indication of what might have been.
    I was stunned when Diana abandoned the album, but as we all know it’s wasn’t the greatest time in her life.
    It’s a huge shame she didn’t concentrate all her efforts into promoting this album as opposed to the huge cash cow that might have been RTL.
    the flow of the album works better IMO if you use the remixes of Not Over You Yet and Until We Meet Again. then the high-energy Carry On isn't such an oddity.

I do really like the album although as released, it is a bit morose. but the style of music and sound is something i just prefer to Force Behind the Power. I'm just more into the late 90s dance music than early.

It aged very well

I do wonder if the Heathrow Airport incident was the significant factor in her abandoning the album. Diana mentioned she had never seen the inside of a jail before.

I do wonder if the Heathrow Airport incident was the significant factor in her abandoning the album. Diana mentioned she had never seen the inside of a jail before.
    It wouldn't be a surprise if that incident played a part but didn't she come right back to the UK to do the "AN AUDIENCE WITH..." special or was that before? In America, she was honored by BET with a Walk of Fame special. She performed NOYY while singing in front of its video playing in the background.

In any event, it just seems like it was a bad time with the divorce and so forth, plus she was also menopausal.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It wouldn't be a surprise if that incident played a part but didn't she come right back to the UK to do the "AN AUDIENCE WITH..." special or was that before? In America, she was honored by BET with a Walk of Fame special. She performed NOYY while singing in front of its video playing in the background.

In any event, it just seems like it was a bad time with the divorce and so forth, plus she was also menopausal.
    it was sort of a "perfect storm" of bad situations.

the divorce clearly was a major factor. I of course don't know her personally and i haven't ever delved too deep into strictly personal aspects of her life. Fans have said that Arne really was the love of her life so the divorce really shook her. Randy talks about how she found out about it in a very public manner which had to deeply impact her. I think it was a story about how Arne practically announced it on a tv show. how horrible!

so the divorce was already heavily on her mind and then much of the music of EDIAND focused on that issue which only served to reinforce it. it's not like this was an album of pure joy and so during the 8 hours of the workday she could sort of "escape" her problems.

then there was the Heathrow incident. plus her relationship with motown at this point had almost totally disintegrated.

then the tour which was suppose to support EDIAND is what evolved into RTL. and there's another major disaster

then there the fact she was really in the midst of menopause which, according to fans and randy's book, was a very difficult period.

and later she had her drunk driving incident so it could also be she was finding solace in alcohol here. i have 0 evidence of that and am purely speculating.

but add it all up and that's a crap ton of heavy baggage

That whole era was odd to me. EDIAND comes out in May. At first, it seemed like Double Platinum was going to be the main thrust for selling the album so we get Diana & Brandy on Oprah which is the reason it surged to its peak of #108 but their duet from the film only appears as a solo on the disc which upset some buyers who ended up passing on it. All this resulted in it being what we called in the CD store business a 2 week record. That means the fans show up for that window to grab it but after that major promotions or an actual hit are needed to keep it going. I don't recall us moving a copy after that. Fast forward to November 1st and I'm on vacation in London where EMI is finally launching the album off of the Metro Mix of Not Over You Yet which was at #9 on the singles chart. It was great to see folks in stores picking up the single and hearing it waft out of radios like she did back in the early eighties in the states. The album however landed with a thud. I remember seeing it on one listening post in an HMV but otherwise it wasn't promenently displayed anywhere. It scraped the bottom of the chart at #73 then promptly disappeared. The Audience TV special didn't even revive it when that aired the following month. EMI didn't even bother with a follow up single which I found strange as well. Also, why did they wait six months to put it out? The UK audience had stuck with her for most of the decade so it was disappointing that one of her stronger albums didn't succeed there or anywhere. Oh well, at least I have the memories her enjoying a hit again even if Motown didn't even try to do anything with it in America.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    That whole era was odd to me. EDIAND comes out in May. At first, it seemed like Double Platinum was going to be the main thrust for selling the album so we get Diana & Brandy on Oprah which is the reason it surged to its peak of #108 but their duet from the film only appears as a solo on the disc which upset some buyers who ended up passing on it. All this resulted in it being what we called in the CD store business a 2 week record. That means the fans show up for that window to grab it but after that major promotions or an actual hit are needed to keep it going. I don't recall us moving a copy after that. Fast forward to November 1st and I'm on vacation in London where EMI is finally launching the album off of the Metro Mix of Not Over You Yet which was at #9 on the singles chart. It was great to see folks in stores picking up the single and hearing it waft out of radios like she did back in the early eighties in the states. The album however landed with a thud. I remember seeing it on one listening post in an HMV but otherwise it wasn't promenently displayed anywhere. It scraped the bottom of the chart at #73 then promptly disappeared. The Audience TV special didn't even revive it when that aired the following month. EMI didn't even bother with a follow up single which I found strange as well. Also, why did they wait six months to put it out? The UK audience had stuck with her for most of the decade so it was disappointing that one of her stronger albums didn't succeed there or anywhere. Oh well, at least I have the memories her enjoying a hit again even if Motown didn't even try to do anything with it in America.
    oh that's right! i totally forgot about Dbl Plat.

i'm really fuzzy on the details here but regarding Love Is All That Matters i think 1) the labels for DR and Brandy couldn't come to an agreement 2) Diana's poor relationship with motown probably didn't help as i'm assuming they didn't hardly lift a finger to really push for this and 3) i've heard Brandy's mother is a formidable force and wasn't particularly interested in the duet or having Brandy's then big fan base being used to reinvigorate Diana's public image

as for the UK, my only guess is that the turmoil in Diana's life just led to a lack of direction and urgency with EMI. Once EMI got the remix, it clearly hit and hit hard. but there were other issues. I thought Bluebrock had mentioned that DR had 0 interest in appearing on tv to promote it, wasn't at all invested in pushing it or a follow up. So all of that could explain the delays and missed opportunities

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    To my surprise, The album was given half the massive front window at Tower Records in Piccadilly Circus. That’s pretty good promotion.
    By the time of it’s release in the UK, most fans had already bought it on import.

Diana mentioned she had never seen the inside of a jail before.
    I didn't believe it then and I don't believe it now.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I didn't believe it then and I don't believe it now.
    She’s certainly come close a few times lol.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post

Considering “Not Over You Yet” was a top ten hit in the UK, it was more than foolish not to release a followup. I believe the remix of “Until We Meet Again” had been chosen, but vetoed by Diana leading to a fallout with EMI.
    They should have reminded her of “So Close”, “Pieces Of Ice”, “Eaten Alive”, “Dirty Looks” and “Workin’ Overtime” in that some decisions are best left to others.

There's also a promo only version of EDIAND with a spoken part. I like this version better than the album version.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    There's also a promo only version of EDIAND with a spoken part. I like this version better than the album version.
    WOW I have never heard that version....very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by 1382hitsville View Post
    It aged very well
    I would agree with this. I didn't care for the album on release, but I recently played the later Motown albums from beginning to end and found EDAND much better than I remembered. I actually played through it a few times.

WOW I have never heard that version....very interesting.
    It's also on youtube :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stgDBRzNeUY

Alway’s my favourite song from the album, with lyrics that convey the sadness of breaking up as well as renewal and forgiveness. I wonder if it was ever considered for lead single?.

This sounds very very dated to me. I could not listen to the whole song. Her vocal is also extremely weak.

Oh I love it Love it Love it
    It should have been the release version. Thank You
    " So you don't want to talk ? ok......"

"You don't want to talk .... anymore ? ...OK"
    ..... makes ya wonder in this separation , who's really glad to be away from whom ...

....."Listen lady, stop calling me already!"
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-11-2024 at 12:27 AM.

It's alright. Chorus is something of an earworm, but overall, it's just pleasant enough background music to have on. It's definetly in the Nu Soul category as that was having something of a moment in the late 90s, but I never cared much for it as it was not very interesting and musically not as dynamic as soul of the 60s and 70s.

Also, to me on the chorus, especially the pitch and tone of the background singers reminds me of the background singing on Mary Wilson's Life's Been Good to Me, which is also in the Nu Soul vein.

I always thought Diana’s breathy vocals really suited to these slow jams. “Telephone”, “This House”, “Don’t Stop, “Keep It Right There” etc etc. All classics imo.
    Having said that, i don’t think it’s what the general public necessarily wanted from her.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

"You don't want to talk .... anymore ? ...OK"
    ..... makes ya wonder in this separation , who's really glad to be away from whom ...

....."Listen lady, stop calling me already!"
    The union created two awesome sons and I am sure Love is a strange %$[[%6 but I try and remove myself from those personal things that do not involve me.

I always thought Diana’s breathy vocals really suited to these slow jams. “Telephone”, “This House”, “Don’t Stop, “Keep It Right There” etc etc. All classics imo.
    Having said that, i don’t think it’s what the general public necessarily wanted from her.
    some of those i like and some i don't - surprise Ollie lol we sort of agree but then again not fully! xoxoxo

I do agree that when Diana would sometimes apply a breathy vocal and approach, it could be sensational. very sexy. the parts i don't care for as much as when she's having to do it way up in her upper register. then IMO it sounds thins and whiney.

The union created two awesome sons and I am sure Love is a strange %$[[%6 but I try and remove myself from those personal things that do not involve me.

I'm only commenting on the situation/relationship that's presented within the song, based on the supplied lyrics ....nothing beyond that.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-13-2024 at 01:31 PM.

Was the spoken part improvised? The way she goes from "You don't want to talk anymore?" to "It's mine" is a little odd. Perhaps it wold have segued into "It's My Turn" in a concert setting.

Is there an Expanded Edition of this album coming? I'd like to be able to play that Radio Mix outside of YouTube... Hopefully the duet version of "Love Is All That Matters" with Brandy {even though I don't actually like the song} and the original soundtrack version of Carry On would be included as well.

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Was the spoken part improvised? The way she goes from "You don't want to talk anymore?" to "It's mine" is a little odd.
    It sounds very improvised to me. These were such personal songs, it sounds like what she was thinking just came out in that instance. It’s certainly quite revealing.