[REMOVE ADS]

Home editing of Motown songs

Back in the day, I would try to create the single edits of Motown songs using the mechanical pause control on my cassette deck. It took some doing at times but I really enjoyed creating a usable edit from the album versions.

I remember creating edits of Papa Was A Rollin' Stone, Love Hangover, Stoned Love, Reach Out, I'll Be There [[Diana Ross) and Keep On Trucking [[damn difficult without the "cymbal crash to add).

Did you do something similar with your tape/cassette decks? Which songs did you edit?

I used to do the same thing when I was making cassettes and songs wouldn't quite fit. For Christmas 1986, I bought a great stereo [I forget the brand] and any edits made were seamless. Unfortunately, my subsequent stereos didn't have that ability.

I seem to recall I gave it a go a few times, but it was always a bit tricky with a cassette and the pause button!

However, once I got a Minidisc deck [[1995) you could edit/chop/change a track so easily, plus of course, change the order of the tracks on the disc!

[I recall swapping the order of a couple of verses of the Marvelettes 'Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers', and doing an edit of 100 Proof's 'Somebody's Been Sleeping', and being quite chuffed!]

Once I got a PC, it was, and is so much easier to do, and now the 'norm'.

Cheers

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Did you do something similar with your tape/cassette decks? Which songs did you edit?
    Yes; when I was doing 'mix-tapes' for friends, I made 'extended versions' of "Where Did Our Love Go", "Floy Joy", "Get Ready", "Please Mr. Postman" [and others] by simply using the pause button on my cassette deck. Also did edits of James Brown's two part singles [such as "Sex Machine", "Get On The Good Foot", "Hot Pants", etc.] to make the two parts flow as one song without a break.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 06-01-2024 at 10:30 AM.

It isn't a Motown recording. But I remember editing an Aretha/Otis "duet" on I'VE BEEN LOVING YOU TOO LONG for an Otis cassette I was making for my father.

...I remember producing a C90 of over 200 classic Motown instrumental intros from vinyl...! ...I wouldn't know how or have the patience to rip the same from CDs...! ...sadly ...I no longer have the cassette...!

Grape

I can only remember doing one....from the 12" Diana's Your Love Is So Good For Me...which I loved...I loved the LP version, but the 12" blew me away.

Mary Wilson in live performance did Red Hot based on the much better structured 12" version....it was playful, sexy and always got a great audience response...it was one of my fav parts of every concert til she clipped it when Walk The Line came out and she added/deleted many songs.

I tried on several occasions to edit Lost In A Pool Of Red to cut out the section from 1:57 to 2:26 as that section adds nothing for me. I could never get the edit right though. Has anyone tried this edit? Perhaps modern software can make it work?

The aim was to end with the drum roll at 1:57 and link to "my nightmare's over".

Back in the day, I would try to create the single edits of Motown songs using the mechanical pause control on my cassette deck. It took some doing at times but I really enjoyed creating a usable edit from the album versions.

I remember creating edits of Papa Was A Rollin' Stone, Love Hangover, Stoned Love, Reach Out, I'll Be There [[Diana Ross) and Keep On Trucking [[damn difficult without the "cymbal crash to add).

Hey Rove I still love doing this. Contact me, let's compare edits.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Hey Rove I still love doing this. Contact me, let's compare edits.
    PM sent to you BMM.

It was common practise with UK soul DJ's to 'speed up' / 'slow down' Motown tracks that weren't the right bpm for dancers at different times ...
    in the 70's, everything had to be '100 mph', as dancers have gotten older the 'ideal' tempo has slowed.
    At times, they'd even have acetates of 'THEIR VERSIONS' made so they could spin them on the decks at soul nights.

I made a good stereo edit of Honey Cone's One Monkey Don't Stop No Show, which matches the mono single mix. It was a peckerwood to do, but I finally got it right

for my radio show I still play a homemade splice when I play "Use Me" by Bill Withers so that the "I know, I know, I know" plays for a loop of 8 more minutes.....it usually gets a laugh with the back-sell "I don't know, I don't know Bill"

Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
    for my radio show I still play a homemade splice when I play "Use Me" by Bill Withers so that the "I know, I know, I know" plays for a loop of 8 more minutes.....it usually gets a laugh with the back-sell "I don't know, I don't know Bill"
    "Ain't No Sunshine," you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I made a good stereo edit of Honey Cone's One Monkey Don't Stop No Show, which matches the mono single mix. It was a peckerwood to do, but I finally got it right
    Love that song...had the single....and the wonderful SOULFUL TAPESTRY LP...which in my 11 years old hands got the die cut torn off in a few weeks!!!! Love the hand percussion on One Monkey...Supremes I'm Gonna Let My Heart and Driving Wheel have great hand percussion too.

YES!!!!
    I used to geek out trying to edit songs together in long mixes. I was never so happy as when I found a tape deck at a pawn shop that had a DIGITAL [[!) counter AND a fader. That was a HUGE deal in 1991/92. It was clearly some sort of deck designer for mixing. I wore that thing out, especially making edits of Love is Like an Itching in My Heart, Jimmy Mack, and All I Need. My favorite edit was trying to find songs that ended in the same key as another started and then splice them together right on the beat. Of course, no one I knew in the early 90s really cared for Motown, but it was great fun nonetheless. I geeked out hard for the Supremes A' Go Go Expanded Edition when I heard the mixes of LILAIIMH. I spent hours trying to do something like that and Andy and Kevin made it sound so easy [[of course they had much better equipment and access to the REAL tapes!).

I tried on several occasions to edit Lost In A Pool Of Red to cut out the section from 1:57 to 2:26 as that section adds nothing for me. I could never get the edit right though. Has anyone tried this edit? Perhaps modern software can make it work?

The aim was to end with the drum roll at 1:57 and link to "my nightmare's over".
    I had a similar experience with "You're What's Missing In My Life." I always thought it should have been the follow-up to "Heart Do The Walking," but I felt a single edit would have cut that upbeat dance intro after the oboe intro. I've tried several times to edit it but it just never works.

However on the other hand, similar to what John Perrone did, I successfully extended the Vandellas "I Love The Man" instrumental break with the strings and brass. It's just too beautiful to be that short so I did an edit repeating the strings part three times before it leads back into Martha singing "Don't need faith and such..."

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I had a similar experience with "You're What's Missing In My Life." I always thought it should have been the follow-up to "Heart Do The Walking," but I felt a single edit would have cut that upbeat dance intro after the oboe intro. I've tried several times to edit it but it just never works.

However on the other hand, similar to what John Perrone did, I successfully extended the Vandellas "I Love The Man" instrumental break with the strings and brass. It's just too beautiful to be that short so I did an edit repeating the strings part three times before it leads back into Martha singing "Don't need faith and such..."
    There's a very nice unreleased mono mix of 'The Man' that should we ever get an expanded of S and S hopefully would make an appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    There's a very nice unreleased mono mix of 'The Man' that should we ever get an expanded of S and S hopefully would make an appearance.
    Wow! A mono mix. I wonder if they were considering it for a single release. They should have as “Taking My Love And Leaving Me” was such a poor choice.

I'll have to pull out S & S and give it another listen. It's probably my least favorite of Martha's Motown lps. I grew to like Taking My Love but have to agree it was two years too late for single release. I just don't hear a lot of singles on this lp or Natural Resources. I'd have to give a nod to Shoeleather Expressway as a possible single on S & S. On Resources I like The Hurt Is Over, but it too would have done better as a single 3 or 4 yrs earlier. Never knew why I Gotta Let You Go was thrown out four years too late. Love it, Funk Bros are on fire here but music had changed in those four years. When comparing Martha's late 60s body of work to say the Supremes or even the Marvelettes, it seems Motown was desperately trying to find another hit sound on them.

Bradsupremes..WBLS in NYC slowed You're Whats Missing In My Life down a tad...gave it more texture....I loved Celi Bee's MACHO [[A Real Real One)...when I got the 12" I thought the label made a mistake listing 45....it was MUCH faster than the one the radio played....when I tried it at 33 the vocals were horrible.
    I often slowed the pitch on Driving Wheel and Let Yourself Go down a tad when I played them home....same thing, more texture...

I recorded the opening portion of Diana's AINT NO MOUNTAIN [the "ah a ah ah] multiple times on a reel to reel. Then I transferred it over to a recordable 8 track and repeated that multiple times extending the opening edit to over an hour.

Then i took a group of friends for a ride around the literal perimeters of Manhattan Island [West Side Highway, then crosstown and up Henry Hudson to Cross Bronx EX and back to West Side]

During the trip I played the 8 track with the long edit of Mountain. They liked it for the first few minutes and after a while they started to feel like they were locked up in torture chamber.

I wonder if they get that same feeling now whenever they hear the opening of Mountain on radio
    Last edited by milven; 06-15-2024 at 11:46 AM.

I had a small section of unused tape in a C90 cassette so I decided to fill it with an edit of The Tears Of A Clown. I simply paused at 0:07 and restarted at 2:07. A nifty little gap filler!

Slightly off topic but has anyone else marvelled how Herbie Hancock's I Thought It Was You was edited down from a length of 8:54 to a single of 3:52? From what I can hear, later sections of the song were used towards the start and middle of the edited version [[like Stoned Love!).