[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1

    The Miracles - backround vocals question

    This is a question for the real experts. I would like to know, if The Miracles used The Andantes for backround vocals. Until now I have discover no session. I know only the Marvin Gaye song "IŽll be doggone" were both, The Andantes & The Mircales sing backround. Why used the group not the Andantes? Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Background
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 05-29-2024 at 01:07 PM.

  3. #3
    I haven’t heard everything by the Miracles but I’ve heard a damn lot. And I don’t think the Andantes are on any of them, very rare of course for a Motown act

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Backround?
    Is it really necessary to criticize someone’s typos and/or spelling errors? What a great way to discourage people from contributing to the forum for fear they might misspell a word and be subject to criticism by strangers cloaked by anonymity in the net. Come on guy, have a little class.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullfillingnessfirstfinale View Post
    This is a question for the real experts. I would like to know, if The Miracles used The Andantes for backround vocals. Until now I have discover no session. I know only the Marvin Gaye song "IŽll be doggone" were both, The Andantes & The Mircales sing backround. Why used the group not the Andantes? Thanks for any help.
    According to Wikipedia's entry for The Andantes, the group did not do any background vocals for songs by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles. The Andantes however did do the backgrounds on records that Smokey Robinson wrote & produced at Motown [such as "Don't Mess With Bill", "My Guy", "When I'm Gone", "It's Growing" and others].

    The Andantes - Wikipedia


    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 05-28-2024 at 08:43 AM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Is it really necessary to criticize someone’s typos and/or spelling errors? What a great way to discourage people from contributing to the forum for fear they might misspell a word and be subject to criticism by strangers cloaked by anonymity in the net. Come on guy, have a little class.
    We all learn things from the forum all the time. I see no harm in trying to assist people. Anonymity doesn't come into it - I assumed we were all friends on here. Not something for you to criticise I feel.

  7. #7
    One song I do wonder if the Andantes are on is "It's A Good Feeling." The backgrounds sound too full to be just the Miracles and it sounds like more than just one woman back there with Claudette.

  8. #8
    Might they have been on Mickey's Monkey or Going To A Go Go?

  9. #9
    On the question of grammar and spelling, I am annoyed when I find my post with incorrect spelling or grammar and I haven’t caught it - and I do proofread.

    I think it’s a shame how bad some grammar is and I’d love to correct it but I’m reluctant because not everyone has a university degree etc.

    Why do we read;

    1. I seen it with my own eyes.

    2. It’s there problem

    Its better to say I shudda just not pointed this out

  10. #10
    Also for "Get Ready" and "It's Growing" with the Tempts and The Andantes.

  11. #11
    They are definitely on the H-D-H dance classic, "It's A Good Feeling" also "My Love Is Your Love Forever" as well as "Mickey's Monkey" and "Going To a Go-Go".

    When Tom and I mixed [[Come Round here) for the Motown Stereo Box and subsequent remix on my TJL release "Motown: Big Hits and More", there were no additional separate background vocal tracks, just The Miracles on both versions we worked with. [[not to say they aren't on the Miracles track) just to say no stem existed for them.

  12. #12
    I don't think the Andantes are on Mickey's Monkey. Lamont Dozier remembered in an interview that different artists at the studio pitched in to help including the 4 Tops and Martha Reeves once said she remembered being on the track. Many have said Diana Ross is on it but she is not, the Ross-sounding vocalist in the background is clearly Claudette.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I don't think the Andantes are on Mickey's Monkey. Lamont Dozier remembered in an interview that different artists at the studio pitched in to help including the 4 Tops and Martha Reeves once said she remembered being on the track. Many have said Diana Ross is on it but she is not, the Ross-sounding vocalist in the background is clearly Claudette.
    I think Mary Wilson is on Mickey's Monkey too. I've never heard that Diana Ross or Florence Ballard were on the record.

  14. #14
    Not everyone is an English scholar; we all have varying degrees of education. My Grandmother was brilliant, and only finished 6th grade.

    Flo Ballard? Didn't she have an 11th grade education? I'd bet money several of the Temptations didn't get diplomas.

    To me, SDF is more about the music and not the grammar police. I'd rather have 1000 interesting topics spelled incorrectly than threads like "what did Diana's toots smell like".

  15. #15
    I've amended my original post to be a bit more helpful - the obsession with spelling and grammar is ruining a really good thread. Time to move on.

  16. #16
    There's an interview with Smokey where he said Mickeys Monkey's background vocals included Martha Reeves, Mary Wilson, a couple of Marvelettes and a couple of Temptations [[though he didn't point out specifically who).

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    There's an interview with Smokey where he said Mickeys Monkey's background vocals included Martha Reeves, Mary Wilson, a couple of Marvelettes and a couple of Temptations [[though he didn't point out specifically who).
    So, basically anyone in the studio at that moment? Doesn't sound like it was planned for any musical reasons.

  18. #18
    He said two of the temptations [[Otis and Melvin) Martha and the Vandellas, 3 of the Marvelettes [[Gladys, Wanda and Georgeanna), Mary Wilson, and "Jockey Jack" Gibson.

    Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    There's an interview with Smokey where he said Mickeys Monkey's background vocals included Martha Reeves, Mary Wilson, a couple of Marvelettes and a couple of Temptations [[though he didn't point out specifically who).

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    He said two of the temptations [[Otis and Melvin) Martha and the Vandellas, 3 of the Marvelettes [[Gladys, Wanda and Georgeanna), Mary Wilson, and "Jockey Jack" Gibson.
    Forgive my ignorance, but who is Jockey Jack Gibson??? Somehow the name just jumped out at me!

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but who is Jockey Jack Gibson??? Somehow the name just jumped out at me!
    I don't know who 'Jockey' Jack Gibson was but according to Smokey Robinson [who talked about the cast of characters doing the backup on "Mickey's Monkey"], he's the one who calls out "Smokey Yeah, Yeah, Smokey" during the intro before the music starts.

  21. #21
    Who sang backgrounds at Motown was largely determined by the artists' schedules. They wouldn't cancel gigs just to bring artists back to record backgrounds when the Andantes could do just as good a job.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but who is Jockey Jack Gibson??? Somehow the name just jumped out at me!
    Here's a quick look at Jockey Jack:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Deighton_Gibson_Jr.

    And here's a pic of Jockey Jack doing his thang:

    https://www.britannica.com/money/Jac...Rapper-1688370

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_olhsson View Post
    ...when the Andantes could do just as good a job.
    ...or even better LOL.

  24. #24
    No - the Miracles were not only a vocal group, but really Motown's first autonomously produced act - about a decade before Marvin or Stevie. Given the precision of their harmonic blend. Additionally, no sweetening from the Andantes was necessary with a female voice in the mix. Great observation.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_olhsson View Post
    Who sang backgrounds at Motown was largely determined by the artists' schedules. They wouldn't cancel gigs just to bring artists back to record backgrounds when the Andantes could do just as good a job.
    This is either a terrific compliment of the Andantes
    or a terrific backhand at the artists.

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    This is either a terrific compliment of the Andantes
    or a terrific backhand at the artists.
    Mr. Ohlsonn has a reputation of being frank.

    I think it is complimentary of the Andantes and I think there is often an undercurrent about the necessity of having the backgrounds done by the artists - but I don’t see this as a negative to the background artists

  27. #27
    I'm all for being frank.

  28. #28
    Hi, folks, I would like to say thank you for all replies! You are sure that the Andantes on Going to a go-go? My ears hear only the Miracles!

    Sorry for the mistake! I have open that thread during my work! So it could be that I havbe a typo in the words.

  29. #29
    Likely the Vandellas.

    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    One song I do wonder if the Andantes are on is "It's A Good Feeling." The backgrounds sound too full to be just the Miracles and it sounds like more than just one woman back there with Claudette.

  30. #30
    I saw an interview with Smokey confirming the Andantes were on Mickey's Monkey, Going To A Go-Go and Smokey told me The Andantes were also on they were on the H-D-H penned "It's A Good Feeling' and also on the same track "My Love Is Your Love Forever"...I'm not sure about the higher harmonies in [[Come Round Here) I'm The One You Need. The only thing Smokey shared of that tunes is that he never liked it, it's his least favorite of all their recordings [[both recordings of it)....me, I loved to cha cha to it.

  31. #31
    All the interviews he gave in regards to Mickey’s monkey never mentioned the Andantes.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
    I saw an interview with Smokey confirming the Andantes were on Mickey's Monkey, Going To A Go-Go and Smokey told me The Andantes were also on they were on the H-D-H penned "It's A Good Feeling' and also on the same track "My Love Is Your Love Forever"...I'm not sure about the higher harmonies in [[Come Round Here) I'm The One You Need. The only thing Smokey shared of that tunes is that he never liked it, it's his least favorite of all their recordings [[both recordings of it)....me, I loved to cha cha to it.

  32. #32

    .

    Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    All the interviews he gave in regards to Mickey’s monkey never mentioned the Andantes.
    I always understood those augmenting vocals to be Martha and the Vandellas.

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I'm all for being frank.
    I thought his name was Bob?

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. T View Post
    Likely the Vandellas.
    I highly doubt it. The track was originally intended for the Supremes but then reassigned to the Miracles.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.