[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

  2. #2
    a no nonsense review.

    Wonder what in the world makes Diana Ross think people come to her show to hear an extra long version of I WILL SURVIVE ?

    {I'd bet not one person goes to a Diana Ross concert with the specific hope of hearing it}
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-22-2024 at 04:36 PM.

  3. #3
    Reading this review, I can't help but think, now that Mary is no longer alive, this would be time to have Diana include the FLOS [[some combination of Scherrie, Lynda, Susaye and Joyce) as her back ground singers. That way when Diana now goes off for her 10-15 minute rest and gown change the FLOS can entertain the audience with Supremes songs Diana didn't do as part of her Supremes segment of the show. It would make for a more engaging show rather than Rhonda singing unfamiliar material. Rhonda could remain as the opening act but having FLOS there to perform during Diana's "break" could make for a more cohesive show.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    a no nonsense review.

    Wonder what in the world makes Diana Ross think people come to her show to hear an extra long version of I WILL SURVIVE ?

    {I'd bet not one single person goes to a Diana Ross concert with the specific hope of hearing it}
    The problem being her audience is not packed to the rafters with diehard fans, but rather the casual punter seeking the familiar. “IWS” is a crowd pleaser that everyone knows.
    Personally, i would prefer to hear the version of “Remember Me” that she performed at her HBO special in 79, being “IWS” will forever be associated with M’s Gaynor.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    The problem being her audience is not packed to the rafters with diehard fans, but rather the casual punter seeking the familiar. “IWS” is a crowd pleaser that everyone knows.
    Personally, i would prefer to hear the version of “Remember Me” that she performed at her HBO special in 79, being “IWS” will forever be associated with M’s Gaynor.
    Odds are more than half the people sitting there think Diana is the original artist of I WILL SURVIVE, And hey for whatever her mysterious reasons are , if Diana Ross is glued to a fixation of always performing it, more power to her.

    But hopefully [and smartly] someone in her camp pays attention to things like reviews where they can garner some useful insight... and maybe realize that a 15 minute, or seven minute or however long the current version of IWS is, if it's received like its too much of a good thing, it probably is, and they might want to taper it back, especially if the real hits are being trimmed back while instead this one seems to go on and on ...

    When Diana returned adorning a sparkly silver gown, it was just enough time to wrap the show with "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" and an impossibly lengthy extended version of Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" that showcased the band's talents,
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-22-2024 at 05:41 PM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Odds are more than half the people sitting there think Diana is the original artist of I WILL SURVIVE, And hey for whatever her mysterious reasons are , if Diana Ross is glued to a fixation of always performing it, more power to her.

    But hopefully [and smartly] someone in her camp pays attention to things like reviews where they can garner some useful insight... and maybe realize that a 15 minute, or seven minute or however long the current version of IWS is, if it's received like its too much of a good thing, it probably is, and they might want to taper it back, especially if the real hits are being trimmed back while instead this one seems to go on and on ...

    If the odds are that more than half of her audience thinks she originated the song, then i guess that’s the amount of people who attend expecting to hear one of her biggest hits.

  7. #7
    I wish she’d take out IWS and replace it with My Man or God Bless the Child. lol. Not going to happen.

    IWS is a huge crowd pleaser - I wish she’d extend the All We Do Is win section.

  8. #8
    I was there and it was a good show. I am happy that I went, but I agree that this show is designed for casual fans and the general public...most of whom are seeing this show for only the first, if not, the second time. This was my 12th time seeing Diana. When I saw her last summer, she had dug out some lesser known songs. This time, the show was shortened. There were only three Supremes songs. The setlist had reverted back the usual hits, plus Count On Me with Rhonda. It was truncated even more so since this was a casino venue, so they had to adhere to the casino's 90 minute cutoff for concerts. There was only one costume change, but it is my understanding that the preceding shows this month had a couple of additional costume changes.

    She was in good spirits and had good energy. Before performing Count On Me with Rhonda, she was talking about the Thank You album and said, "I know that you guys go get your music from Spotify now, so I'm not sure if you have it?" At that moment, someone in the audience held up a copy of their Thank You vinyl sleeve and she noticed. She pointed and joked, "Wow...ok! You have it! I haven't received any royalties yet!"

    After Count On Me, Rhonda performed three songs, while Diana made her costume change. I enjoyed her mini set. A friend of mine, who is a long-time fan, had handmade a double sided poster with all of her Supremes and solo album covers. During I Will Survive, we made our way up to the front of the stage from our second row seats, and held up the poster. She said she loved it and signed it, with assistance from a stage-hand.

    I believe this was the third night in a row that she had performed, having travelled several hours by bus from New Jersey, where she had performed the night before. I don't know where she gets the energy at her age to keep doing this! It's quite amazing.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    If the odds are that more than half of her audience thinks she originated the song, then i guess that’s the amount of people who attend expecting to hear one of her biggest hits.
    Hmmm yes but I think you misunderstood me , or rather I didn't state it well.

    My point would be probably easily half of the audience at a DR concert these days has no idea who it was that originally performed that old disco song from the 70's and those that don't would conclude, "Oh it must have been Diana Ross, after all, here she is performing it."

    and if you went down the line of attendees as they entered for the show and asked them "What song are you particularly hoping to hear from Miss Ross tonight?", not one of them would say "I'm here to hear her sing: I WILL SURVIVE"

  10. #10
    I was just going by your comment of “odds are half the people sitting there think Diana Ross the original artist of “”I Will Survive”.
    It is of course possible the song is in fact one of the highlights for the casual punter, being a song of empowerment and one most peeps know the lyrics to.
    Were she to ditch it, i’m guessing she would want another well known, up-tempo, anthem type song to replace it. That really only leaves “Mountain”, unless she settled for something from the Thank You set.

  11. #11
    Yes I'd bet random polling on the street would find very few people [their age being a factor] could name Gloria Gaynor as the singer of I WILL SURVIVE.

    I was thinking MOUNTAIN as a replacement myself ...or why not just an elongated LOVE HANGOVER ....or rather just keep IWS as is, but contain it more rather than imply that it's some super grand finale worthy of "an impossibly lengthy extended version"

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    but contain it more rather than imply that it's some super grand finale worthy of "an impossibly lengthy extended version"
    I agree, but annoyingly that been happening for a very long time now. Perhaps after all these years Diana has finally convinced herself that it was she who originated the song lol. GLORIA WHO??.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.