[REMOVE ADS]

"Broken Hearted" Intended for "THE BODY GUARD"?

I remember being told a long time ago that the original choice for Whitney Houston's 'theme song" in THE BODY GUARD, before Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You', was "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted";
    was this because "BodyGuard" was originally slated for Diana Ross/Ryan O Neil in the 70's?[[would have been a better choice than "The Wiz" for sure...)
    Last edited by Jimi LaLumia; 07-05-2011 at 10:46 AM.

I don't think that the original choice of WHAT BECOMES OF THE BROKENHEARTED had anything to do with the project originally being for Diana and Ryan. Kevin Costner really liked I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU, and suggested that Whitney record that. Also, I believe he was the executive producer of the film, so his opinion carried some weight.

I doubt the Diana/Ryan project got as far as choosing material before Diana dropped out. Plus it wasn't even going to be a Motown production, so if it had happened, they might have solicited material from various sources. Then again, Motown might have gotten the soundtrack album, so who knows.
    Last edited by reese; 07-05-2011 at 01:08 PM.

smark21 Guest
    I thought Steve McQueen was the first choice for The Bodyguard back in the 70's, not Ryan O'Neal?

Broken Hearted was pushed for by Clive Davis for the film but had to be scrapped when Paul Young beat Whitney to the record by cutting it for the film Fried Green Tomatoes. [[He was rewarded with his last Top 40 hit and an AC chart topper) David Foster was overjoyed since he apparently hated WBOTBH and couldn't come up with an arrangement that he felt was a hit. Kevin Costner then brought in the Linda Ronstadt version of I Will Always Love You which David loved so he quickly cut a raw demo of the song with Whitney and overnighted it Clive which he loved. David then cut a complete version that had no a cappella intro and an in tune sax solo but Clive refused to release it saying the demo was perfect. Turns out he was correct and the rest is Grammy, Film, and music history......

the royalities from sales and airplay from The Bodyguard would have made Mr.Gordy very happy, I imagine..